PDA

View Full Version : 4 Steelers named to Pro Bowl

BB2W
12-21-2005, 03:11 PM
Guard Alan Faneca, center Jeff Hartings, linebacker Joey Porter and safety Troy Polamalu were named to the team today. All four were Pro Bowlers last year.

Pittsburgh Steelers receiver Hines Ward was passed over for the AFC Pro Bowl team, just like he figured might happen. Ward expected that his statistics (61 catches for 830 yards 10 TD's) might not garner him a Pro Bowl bid this season.

Stlrs4Life
12-21-2005, 03:18 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05355/625967.stm

Four Steelers named to Pro Bowl

Wednesday, December 21, 2005

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Four Steelers were named to the Pro Bowl today, all repeats from last season. Guard Alan Faneca, center Jeff Hartings, linebacker Joey Porter and safety Troy Polamalu will play for the AFC in the all-star game in Honolulu Feb. 12.

It's the fourth straight trip for Faneca, the Steelers' starting left guard since his rookie season in 1998. Hartings made it for the second time, Porter the third and Polamalu his second time in just his second season as a starter.

The Pro Bowl starters will be announced later.

The Steelers placed nine players in the Pro Bowl last season, when they were 15-1.

Just shows you how bad it is when you have fans do the voting.
Hartings doen't deserve to go. Porter niether. Only Steelers that really deserve it are: Hines, Faneca, and Troy P. In my opinion.

Stlrs4Life
12-21-2005, 03:19 PM
Sorry, didn't see this posted.

clevestinks
12-21-2005, 03:22 PM
I was hoping Farrior would make it!

clevestinks
12-21-2005, 03:24 PM
What a difference a year makes, props to our four, maybe some will be added later

BB2W
12-21-2005, 03:25 PM
Sorry, didn't see this posted.
No problem... one of the Mods will catch it.

SteelCityMan786
12-21-2005, 03:26 PM
Hines Should Be There. He NEEDS TO BE IN HONOLULU!

Stlrs4Life
12-21-2005, 03:28 PM
Sorry about the double post. I didn't see the other thread.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-21-2005, 03:34 PM
Hartings is a beast, Im glad he's going..he's had a very good year but sometimes gets lost in the troubles that simmons and starks have at times on that side of the line.

faneca and troy p are definate good candidates.

Hines still should have made it, the man is invaluable to this team and means everything to us.

Porter has been having a decent year despite his stats not being as high as they once were, but according to lebeau Porter has been doing all he's been asked and then some so who knows.

I'd have liked to see Casey get in, that is a true travesty IMO. And Im also surprised Ike didnt get atleast an alternate consideration.

Prosdo
12-21-2005, 03:35 PM
Would have loved to seen Hines go. Congrats to the Steelers who made it!

Prosdo
12-21-2005, 03:41 PM
I'll merge them :smile:

tony hipchest
12-21-2005, 03:43 PM
hines missed out to c. chambers and r. smith. pretty ho-hum if you ask me. r. wayne got left out too, so its not just hines. wards streak of 4 straight exceeded everybodys expectations though, even his own.

next year ben makes it in his 3rd year (just like carson). he takes hines and miller with him

Sharkissle29
12-21-2005, 03:45 PM
would like to see ike and hines on that list

SteelerFanInCA
12-21-2005, 03:50 PM
I'm sure Hines would gladly exchange a Pro Bowl for a Super Bowl.

Suitanim
12-21-2005, 03:51 PM
The fans spoil a lot of this, voting on reputation and popularity and not talent. I think Mike Vick was one of the top vote getters. I'm glad we have 4, but I think I'd have picked Fanaca, Troy P, Haggins, Ward as the 4 instead.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-21-2005, 04:15 PM
Haggans is one that most people over look as well.. they has had a stellar year for us and is such an underrated pass rusher.

And yeah If Im ward, Jerome or anyone else I'd trade in all my pro bowls for a ring !

SteelCityMan786
12-21-2005, 05:02 PM
I'm sure Hines would gladly exchange a Pro Bowl for a Super Bowl.

Oh Yeah He'd Take a Super Bowl. Because he Gets a ring and a Vince Lombardi Trophy.

Koopa
12-21-2005, 05:40 PM
wtf did joey porter do to even be considered to be a pro bowler. this shit is ****ing gay. chris chambers has one good game and he makes it. and wtf is up with tye law making it? **** i hate little kids now, they are all bastard childs, for not knowing a damn thing about football just voting on what happened 90 years ago or seeing one or two highlights. i don't think any of our offensive lineman should be allowed to go the way they didn't protect ben or make us a good running team, the only ones for pittsburgh that should go is troy and hines but they left him off cause he doesn't have great stats.

RoethlisBURGHer
12-21-2005, 05:41 PM
Fans ruin it,it becomes a popularity contest,not a contest of who deserves it.

Did Randy Moss make it?He damn sure doesn't deserve to go.

clevestinks
12-21-2005, 05:48 PM
Baseball is even worse, Jose Canseco plaed four games before the final vote one year, and still made the All Star team! Let thier piers pick

Atlanta Dan
12-21-2005, 05:51 PM
It's a popularity contest and no reflection on who has played well and who has not.

Porter legitimately has been taking heat on this board and elsewhere most of the season for having an off-year and, as recently as after the Cincy loss, the P-G said Hartings was having a bad year.

As an Atlanta resident, I can tell you there is not much talk around here these days about Vick being the future of football (Vick's QB rating this year - 71.8/lifetime QB rating for Kordell Stewart - 70.7) and that Keith Brooking has had a poor year.

Len Pasquarelli on espn.com lists Casey Hampton as someone who got screwed by the selection process and, Exhibit A being how Casey blew up the Vikings line for the safety on Sunday, I heartily agree.

ngreene15
12-21-2005, 07:00 PM

Theres always a possibility of Chad Johnson breeaking a hip or something doing some sort of choreographed dance routine.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-21-2005, 07:35 PM
Jeff Hartings is a very underrated center.. he's anchored our OL for years and just comes to play every week, nothing special just gets the job done every week.

clevestinks
12-21-2005, 08:24 PM
Jeff Hartings is a very underrated center.. he's anchored our OL for years and just comes to play every week, nothing special just gets the job done every week.
Plus he`s from PSU, so thats got to mean something! LOL:grin:

Atlanta Dan
12-21-2005, 08:52 PM

Jeff Hartings has been a solid player and $$$ well spent over the life of his contract, but in the 12/1 Black & Gold Insider Ed Bouchette of the P-G wrote "I'd try Chris Kemoeatu at right guard and I'd be tempted to play Chukky Okobi at center. Jeff Hartings hasn't had a good game in two months." My bet is someone with the organization was encouraging that opinion by Ed.B.

That was an overstatement to me but the offensive line has been a major disappointment this season, even before Marvel Smith got hurt, and Simmons & Starks can't be the only reasons for the dropoff. I certainly would never have considered benching Hartings but I don't believe he has played at the level which justified his Pro Bowl selection last season. Alan Faneca has also dropped off this year but his level of play has been so high that he is still a major +.

SteelCityMan786
12-21-2005, 09:05 PM
Theres always a possibility of Chad Johnson breeaking a hip or something doing some sort of choreographed dance routine.

Yep. he will break a hip in one of his next Touchdown Celebrations. then The Bengals will be SKREWED for the playoffs.:rofl:

CantStop85
12-21-2005, 09:21 PM
Fans ruin it,it becomes a popularity contest,not a contest of who deserves it.

Did Randy Moss make it?He damn sure doesn't deserve to go.
The fan votes only account for 1/3 of the total votes. So it's not the fans alone who are making these decisions...the coaches and players have more of a say than the fans.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-21-2005, 09:34 PM
hey 85, long time no see !

You wonder too how much the fan vote would count if each person were only allowed to vote once.

BB2W
12-21-2005, 11:21 PM
Jeff Hartings is a very underrated center.
I just heard on the radio that Hartings recieved 97% of the players/coaches votes at his position... the second most in the NFL behind Peyton Manning. That says a lot, and is something to be proud of.

pitt
12-21-2005, 11:44 PM
CONGRATULATIONS to all who made it.

BB2W
12-22-2005, 12:26 AM
PITTSBURGH (AP) ? On a day that four Pittsburgh Steelers learned they're going back to the Pro Bowl, much of the talk in their locker room was about who isn't going.

Wide receiver Hines Ward, left off the AFC squad for the first time in five years. Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, ignored again despite having a 20-3 record as an NFL starter over two seasons.

Guard Alan Faneca, center Jeff Hartings, linebacker Joey Porter and safety Troy Polamalu were chosen again after also being selected last season, when the Steelers sent nine players to Honolulu.

But, on Wednesday, coach Bill Cowher seemed more unhappy than usual about the snubs. His reaction: Sure, the Steelers' passing game isn't designed to produce big numbers like the offenses of other teams, but come on.

His beef...

"You can judge quarterbacks all you want, but if you look at the won-lost percentage, our quarterback can match up with anybody," Cowher said. "Hines Ward, I think you know what he is. I think a lot of people are looking at numbers when they vote."

Of course, it's hard to argue against who is going at quarterback for the AFC: Peyton Manning, Tom Brady and Carson Palmer. Only Manning and Palmer have passer ratings higher than Roethlisberger's 102.0.

Maybe that's why Roethlisberger didn't seemed bothered by not being chosen after missing four of the Steelers' 14 games with sore knees.

"Oh, no, I don't deserve it," Roethlisberger said. "I know when I deserve to be there and I don't feel like I deserve it yet. In this offense, you don't put up big numbers, so ..."

link-----> http://www.vindy.com/content/sports/local_regional/300357186130606.php

Koopa
12-22-2005, 01:41 AM
and ben is right, he didn't deserve to go, the only ones that really deserved to go was troy and hines. pisses me off chambers has one great game and he's all of a sudden the greatest to ever touch a football. hines should go piss on every little kid that based their votes on numbers. i guess hines will have the last word when he's holding up his superbowl mvp trophy

SteelCityMan786
12-22-2005, 02:25 PM
Chris Chambers is joke. He doesn't deserve to go. NO FISHFOOD In the Pro Bowl. Hines is better then him

BB2W
12-22-2005, 07:25 PM
Pro Bowl Notes:

During Bill Cowher's 14 seasons, 28 different players have been selected to the Pro Bowl ? 24 were first-time selections ? combining for 65 Pro Bowl trips...This is the 11th time during Cowher?s tenure that a linebacker has been selected to the Pro Bowl. Since 1970, at least one Steelers linebacker has been selected to the team in 30 different seasons?This is the 10th time in Cowher?s 14 seasons that at least four players were placed on the Pro Bowl team.

link-----> http://media3.steelers.com/article/60606/

Koopa
12-22-2005, 09:10 PM
so basically porter got in by default? that sucks, i'm not hating on him, i think he's a great player, but haggans probably deserved to be in the pro bowl more then he did

melroseplace
12-22-2005, 10:41 PM
I'm very disappointed to hear Hines isn't going as well. I think he deserves it much more than some of the people going...
glad to see Troy and Faneca going. would've liked to see Farrior, but I guess he wasn't quite up to his usual this year. I also agree that I don't think Ben's ready for the ProBowl yet, esp with who he's up against...I'd say give him another year or two and we'll see him there :)

BB2W
12-22-2005, 11:40 PM
Casey Hampton was named a 1st alternate, and Hines Ward was named a second alternate at their postiions.

Koopa
12-23-2005, 12:09 AM
well that's still shit, he deserves more then second alternate. who got first? he should just fly to the pro bowl and run on the field and take chambers knees out for not deserving to be mentioned in the same sentence as him

SteelCityMan786
12-23-2005, 08:38 AM
Despite his numbers aren't PB and he was on the Bench some of the time THE BUS SHOULD BE THERE! I mean that would be another way to end his great carrier

MichiSteeler
12-23-2005, 08:33 PM

Im sayin'...:banging: