PDA

View Full Version : Gil Brandt thinks Hines Ward is not worthy of the HOF

adam10
01-08-2009, 06:08 PM
Gil Brandt is currently doing a life chat on NFL.com and well i will just let you read it...

Ben, Springfield Mo 02:56 PM ET
On the topic of HOF, Do you think the Hines Ward will ever get into Canton?
Gil Brandt, NFL.com
No, Hines Ward is a very good football player, but you have to be an exceptional player to get to Canton.

This guy doesnt believe that 800 catches, almost 10,000 receiving yards and 72 TD's is worthy of the HOF. Plus Hines could play another 5 to 10 years. He has better stats than like half the guys on there. I hope Ward sees this and it pisses him off as much as it pissed me off, if he feeds off of this then he will have a monster game vs SD.

Polamalu43
01-08-2009, 06:10 PM
HAHAHA is this dude dumb?? Holly cow man, there are some Stupid folks in this world. anybody that thinks ward is not a HOF player should just not watch football ever again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Michael Keller
01-08-2009, 06:39 PM
This a represenation of shallow narrow minded thinking I see so often in the NFL.

Ward is the most complete wide receiver in modern day football. If the Steelers win a couple more Super Bowls in the next few years Ward's chances increase dramatically.

Finally I think one could present an argument thart Ward is a better Wide Receiver than Jerome Bettis is a Running Back and Bettis will make the make the HOF and he should.

Polamalu43
01-08-2009, 06:42 PM
This a represenation of shallow narrow minded thinking I see so often in the NFL.

Ward is the most complete wide receiver in modern day football. If the Steelers win a couple more Super Bowls in the next few years Ward's chances increase dramatically.

Finally I think one could present an argument thart Ward is a better Wide Receiver than Jerome Bettis is a Running Back and Bettis will make the make the HOF and he should.

I bet some would argue that as well.!

Frankie3521
01-08-2009, 06:42 PM
Gil Brandt is currently doing a life chat on NFL.com and well i will just let you read it...

Ben, Springfield Mo 02:56 PM ET
On the topic of HOF, Do you think the Hines Ward will ever get into Canton?
Gil Brandt, NFL.com
No, Hines Ward is a very good football player, but you have to be an exceptional player to get to Canton.

This guy doesnt believe that 800 catches, almost 10,000 receiving yards and 72 TD's is worthy of the HOF. Plus Hines could play another 5 to 10 years. He has better stats than like half the guys on there. I hope Ward sees this and it pisses him off as much as it pissed me off, if he feeds off of this then he will have a monster game vs SD.

Hines has another 5-10 years? LOL

Hines deserves the HOF, I think he has another 15-17 TD's to collect in his career to. I assume Hines has another 2-3 years left in him.

fansince'76
01-08-2009, 06:48 PM

BS. If that were truly the case, at least 1/3 of the current enshrinees wouldn't be in there. Let's start with Andre Tippett, Joe Namath, John Riggins, et al. and go from there. :coffee:

Hapa
01-08-2009, 06:49 PM
Not even considering the stats, because that's not his greatest asset.

He makes such an impact because he's an intimidator, a force on the field. Not his catches, but the toughness he plays with

GutterflowerSteel
01-08-2009, 06:55 PM
Gil used to be part of the Cowbells organization - and has an inherent dislike for anything Black and Gold. Whenever I hear him on my Sirius, I dial up music until I know he's gone lol

BlackAndGold4Ever
01-08-2009, 07:16 PM
What? are you serious Gil? Ward made the all time Steelers team as a current player. I think when you look at 75 years worth of receivers and choose Ward as one of three of the best of all time, that should seal his fate

steelerstrade
01-08-2009, 07:22 PM
well 2 more years of 50 of more catchers...very likely and he is a lock.

PisnNapalm
01-08-2009, 07:50 PM
Hines Ward is a HOF receiver. Ask Ed Reed....

Hines is perhaps one of the most underrated receivers ever. He's not huge, he's not the fastest, but he damn sure is the toughest.

I'm thankful he's a Steeler.

alittlejazzbird
01-08-2009, 07:53 PM
Here's another take on Hines's chances, one I tend to agree with (Hines is my favorite Steeler, so I might be biased):

From ESPN's James Walker
Hall of Fame Monitor: Hines Ward

Hines Ward, wide receiver

Body of work: Ward could be an extremely challenging case for the Hall of Fame committee. He has plenty of hardware, including four Pro Bowls a Super Bowl ring and Super Bowl MVP. But Ward played his entire career with a run-oriented team, so his numbers will not stand up to other elite receivers of his era such as Randy Moss, Terrell Owens and Marvin Harrison. Yet Ward will go down as perhaps the toughest and most devastating blocker at his position in NFL history. The hardcore football voters will consider Ward's total package, while the number crunchers may shy away.

Unfinished business: Without superior statistics, Ward could help his case with another Super Bowl title. He already has longevity going for him with 11 years in the league, and his consistency throughout his career will be a big plus. Ward is expected to put up solid numbers for several more seasons, so expect that also to sway some of the swing voters who may currently have doubts.

Projected chance: Yes, but close

link: http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nflnation?tag=hall%20of%20fame%20monitor

43Hitman
01-08-2009, 07:59 PM
Hines has another 5-10 years? LOL

Hines deserves the HOF, I think he has another 15-17 TD's to collect in his career to. I assume Hines has another 2-3 years left in him.

This is more realistic. I would be very surprised if he plays another 5 years, let alone 7. I think he is HOF worthy if we win another Super Bowl. Other than that, I think it will be very tough for him to get in unless he has some really big numbers his last couple years.

43Hitman
01-08-2009, 08:00 PM
That guy Brandt is on crack. Hines ranks right up there with Lynn Swann and John Stallworth.

Yeah but Lynn Swann and John Stallworth got in because of all the Championships in my opinion.

devilsdancefloor
01-08-2009, 09:07 PM
hines deserves to be in the HOF, but i agree he does need that other super bowl win for sure and then it is still kinda iffy.

shovelnose
01-08-2009, 09:13 PM
hines deserves to be in the HOF, but i agree he does need that other super bowl win for sure and then it is still kinda iffy.

Well lets start working on that super bowl win for Hines this Sunday vs the chargers.:tt02::tt02:

adam10
01-08-2009, 09:27 PM
i was being optimistic when i said he could play another 5-10 years...very optimistic haha. I do think he could do 5 though, mabye.

Tankus_Maximus
01-08-2009, 09:28 PM
I think once Hines hits 10k yds he's a lock for the HoF.

Dr. Steel
01-08-2009, 09:42 PM
Ward is a Hall of Famer in my book. People knock Ward's stats but its not like Ward has terrible stats. Michael Irvin made the Hall of Fame. Ward's stats compare with him. Ward has more catches and TD's. At this point Irvin has more yards. Irvin does have three rings but hopefully Ward get his second in a few weeks.

devilsdancefloor
01-08-2009, 09:53 PM
Ward is a Hall of Famer in my book. People knock Ward's stats but its not like Ward has terrible stats. Michael Irvin made the Hall of Fame. Ward's stats compare with him. Ward has more catches and TD's. At this point Irvin has more yards. Irvin does have three rings but hopefully Ward get his second in a few weeks.

took art monk forever to get in and he has 3 rings and has more yards (but hines has more tds already) but i think if hines sticks it out anouther 3 years he will be at par with yards and catches with monk (hopeful tied with the same amount of rings too:drink::tt03::tt03:)

VegasStlrFan
01-08-2009, 10:07 PM
I truly hope Hines gets in. For what he lacks in stats he more than makes up in character. It will be a crime if Owens and Moss get in over him. Who would you want on your team, Owens, Moss, or Ward? Its not even questionable in my opinion.

SteelersMongol
01-08-2009, 10:16 PM
I don't who the hell is Gil, not even sure if it's dude or chick. But WE ALL KNOW Hines will in the HOF. If not, the hell with Canton.

Steeldude
01-09-2009, 12:31 AM
i don't recall jerry rice throwing blocks or catching passes in traffic about to get nailed. i do remember rice shying away from blocks and bailing out on passes where he thought he might get hit.

IMO, rice was nothing special. he was a product of the west coast offense. big freakin' deal.

MDSteel15
01-09-2009, 12:34 AM
So the fact that he smashes defenders to free RBs and other WRs while blocking for them doesn't make him exceptional... What a freaking tool!

steelerchad
01-09-2009, 12:49 AM
Hines is one of my favorite Steelers. I wear his jersey every NFL Sunday. But, honestly I think the jury is out on this one. Do I feel he's worthy? Yes. But if the question is, Will he get in? I'd say unlikely at this point.

We all know he does alot more than catch passes and scores TD's. Like laying out any defender he can until the whistle blows. But those things will matter little to the people voting.

We're in a pass happy era and many receivers will be retiring around the same time he will with far superior "receiving stats". Not that I'd rather have them than Hines. But those stats are what will matter most to the voters. And all the extra things and the fact that he played on a smashmouth running team for most of his years will matter little.

I do think he has a chance though, and if he can have 3-5 more productive years, maybe 1 probowl, and another SB or 2 he would improve his chances greatly.

Lets help him with ring #2 this year.

SteelMember
01-09-2009, 10:04 AM
Yeah but Lynn Swann and John Stallworth got in because of all the Championships in my opinion.

And that, besides average yards per catch, is the only stat he is behind on. Look how many more catches he has though. That is what is obviously bringing that stat down.

rec yds ypc td
Swann 336 5462 16.3 51
Stallworth 537 8723 16.2 63
Ward 800 9780 12.2 72

But it did take until 2001-2002 respectively for them to get in.

Hammer67
01-09-2009, 10:13 AM
And that, besides average yards per catch, is the only stat he is behind on. Look how many more catches he has though. That is what is obviously bringing that stat down.

rec yds ypc td
Swann 336 5462 16.3 51
Stallworth 537 8723 16.2 63
Ward 800 9780 12.2 72

But it did take until 2001-2002 respectively for them to get in.

Swann and Stallworth would have never made it if they won one or none of the Super Bowls...those four wins are worth way more in people's minds then any stats.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-09-2009, 10:13 AM
I dont know folks. If Hines gets in....he will probably have a longer wait than Art Monk did. By no means do I think that he is a lock for the HOF.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-09-2009, 10:18 AM
I don't who the hell is Gil, not even sure if it's dude or chick.

Gil Brandt
As vice president of player personnel for the Cowboys from 1960-89, Gil Brandt helped Dallas grow into one of the most powerful and popular sports franchises in America.

His innovative management and personnel systems are standard operating procedure today for many teams at the professional and collegiate levels nationwide.

Brandt has spent the last eight years as NFL.com's main personnel guru and offers insight and commentary on all aspects of players and teams.
http://www.nfl.com/news/author?id=09000d5d80026e07

BlastFurnace
01-09-2009, 10:28 AM
It's just another example of someone who has the NFL microphone that doesn't do his homework. These types...many of them employed by ESPN...are no more qualified to comment on this type of stuff than me or you are.

tony hipchest
01-09-2009, 10:29 AM
i like gil brandt. hes a walking, talking football almanac of both past and present. i respect the hell out of his contributions to the league.

hes forgotten more football than most people know.

the ironic thing here is the debate about hines in the hall is the same one keeping gil brandt out.

i think brandt should be in as a front office exec.

lebeau should be in as a coordinator (and a player).

ward should be in as a blocking wr.

hell, id even say put steve tasker in as a special teamer if i thought it would help these 3 get in.

sometimes you gotta throw stats out the window and count the intangibles.

It's just another example of someone who has the NFL microphone that doesn't do his homework. These types...many of them employed by ESPN...are no more qualified to comment on this type of stuff than me or you are.

:wtf: you might wanna do some homework on brant. maybe hes just looking at how long it took bob hayes (still waiting) and art monk to get in.

LambertIsGod58
01-09-2009, 11:03 AM
That guy Brandt is on crack. Hines ranks right up there with Lynn Swann and John Stallworth.

Hines is a more complete receiver than Swanny and Stallworth ever were......

SteelMember
01-09-2009, 11:06 AM
Swann and Stallworth would have never made it if they won one or none of the Super Bowls...those four wins are worth way more in people's minds then any stats.

That is precisely my point.

I think Hines is great, and even though his stats are arguably better then others already in the HOF, there are no guarantees. Especially for WR's under today's numbers.

It took 19 years for Swann, and 15 for Stallworth, minus the wait period, to get in.

The rings definitely had a lot to do with it.

BlastFurnace
01-09-2009, 11:13 AM
i like gil brandt. hes a walking, talking football almanac of both past and present. i respect the hell out of his contributions to the league.

the ironic thing here is the debate about hines in the hall is the same one keeping gil brandt out.

hell, id even say put steve tasker in as a special teamer if i thought it would help these 3 get in.

:wtf: you might wanna do some homework on brant. maybe hes just looking at how long it took bob hayes (still waiting) and art monk to get in.

I've lived in the Dallas area for a long time and am very well aware of who Gil is and what he means to the league. In this case with Ward, he is completely misinformed and is spewing out the wrong information.

Kvnfaber
01-09-2009, 12:43 PM
More proof he is a Steeler hater, atleast in the first question-

Here are the questions I asked him:

Kevin, Kent, OH 02:03 PM ET
Due to the good defenses playing this week in the AFC, which team do you think has the most potential to put out a big offensive performance in the divisional round?

Gil Brandt, NFL.com
Kevin, that's a tough question. It might surprise you, but I'll say San Diego -- simply because Rivers is capable of making things happen (yes, I do realize that Rivers had his worst game of the regular season in Pittsburgh).

Kevin, Kent, OH 02:19 PM ET
Do you think that Darren Sproles will have a bigger impact on special teams than in the rushing game due to Pittsburgh's suffocating run defense?

Gil Brandt, NFL.com
Yeah, I do think he'll have a bigger impact in the return game. But he'll also have a big impact catching screen passes. He won't get 100-plus yards rushing, but he'll get yards out of the backfield.

Also, the slow turf at Heinz Field will negate Sproles' quickness.

Burghfan58
01-09-2009, 02:41 PM
What would you expect from an ex Cowboy personel guy. He's still pissed the Steelers beat Staubach and company twice. Hines will go in at some point. I'd bet cash on it.

steel striker
01-09-2009, 05:09 PM
Hines has been one of my favorite players and, I don't know what were going to do when he retires. You can't find players like Hines that do it all and, never complain about getting the ball. I think Hines will be in the HOF someday and, Gil may have covered the nfl for a long time that does qualify him to make HOF selections.

Since he is a cryboy supporter you know he will never give a steeler player any credit. Well when Hines is has another huge playoff game or maybe the mvp of this years super bowl then Gil will have to put that crack pipe down.

OneForTheToe
01-09-2009, 05:15 PM
This just in:

OneForTheToe thinks Gil Brandt worthy of dooooooofusss designation.

lilyoder6
01-09-2009, 05:20 PM
gil needs to hide his hate a lil bit more

HometownGal
01-09-2009, 05:24 PM
Hines is perhaps one of the most underrated receivers ever. He's not huge, he's not the fastest, but he damn sure is the toughest.

Bingo. :thumbsup:

Gil Brandt is a bean brained pile of goo. I put no credence in him or any of his opinions.

Hines Ward WILL get enshrined into the HOF. It may not be on the first try, but he will get there.

Steelerroy
01-09-2009, 05:44 PM

Said it all perfectly!! I wish/hope and pray he gets in someday but I'm not sure he will.He has good stats but not great and sometimes the boneheads overlook all the other things a player does.Not going over a 1000 yards the last few years hurts him even though he's on a run based team.Another ring and a couple more years will help him big time.And if he can get another MVP in this years Super Bowl,then he'll be a lock!!:tt03:

Danger DANJ
01-09-2009, 05:51 PM
I love Hines Ward as you can tell from my sig pic, but if he does get into the HOF, it won't be until years after he is eligible. There are just way too many voters who look at stats because they don't watch the players every game like us fans do. If HOF voters could watch every game of every team, I'm sure they would see what a player Ward is and what the stats don't show.

jasonhightower
01-10-2009, 12:35 AM
I've lived in the Dallas area for a long time and am very well aware of who Gil is and what he means to the league. In this case with Ward, he is completely misinformed and is spewing out the wrong information.

Nice to see a fellow Fort Worthian here... I am in Keller/North Fort Worth actually. I find it rather disappointing that someone as reputable as Gil will sacrifice the years of reputation building with ludicrous statements as this... It may hurt Ward that he's basically a linebacker trapped in a WR body, but the guy gets it done. After a Steelers fan I am a fan of football like virtually all of you here, and he runs circles around guys like Marvin Harrison, Terrell Owens, Randy Moss, etc. when it comes to being a complete receiver. This is dumbfounding and I can't wait to fight Gil's opinion tooth and nail. He's just flat out wrong on this one.

paw-n-maul-u
01-10-2009, 12:38 AM
Gil Brandt is a doosh.

paw-n-maul-u
01-10-2009, 12:40 AM
take a paycut and snag another ring or two ... maybe even another SB MVP ... and hines WILL get in.

... someday. for sure.

jasonhightower
01-10-2009, 12:43 AM
So I did a quick search, mainly because Gil has pissed me off on this one, and here's some interesting and somewhat comical comments on the question at hand... (within the past year):

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20081222223209AA8wuH2

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/72002-quit-crying-and-play-the-game-hines-ward-does

After reading these damn I can't wait until Sunday!!!

JackHammer
01-10-2009, 01:47 AM
I can care less what this dimwit thinks. Before it's all said and done with, the numbers will speak for themselves. Hines will be a Hall of Famer.

SteelersinCA
01-10-2009, 01:56 AM
Ward's in. When the other players retire and get to talk open and honestly about how well he played the position, they will have no choice but to let him in. When a guy like Ed Reed and Ray Lewis vouch for you (even though they're ratbirds) it will carry weight.

HometownGal
01-10-2009, 07:18 AM
BUMP

BlastFurnace
01-10-2009, 11:02 AM
Nice to see a fellow Fort Worthian here... I am in Keller/North Fort Worth actually. I find it rather disappointing that someone as reputable as Gil will sacrifice the years of reputation building with ludicrous statements as this... It may hurt Ward that he's basically a linebacker trapped in a WR body, but the guy gets it done. After a Steelers fan I am a fan of football like virtually all of you here, and he runs circles around guys like Marvin Harrison, Terrell Owens, Randy Moss, etc. when it comes to being a complete receiver. This is dumbfounding and I can't wait to fight Gil's opinion tooth and nail. He's just flat out wrong on this one.

We must live very close to one another. I live off of Basswood going down Denton Highway. I love it that it makes Dallas fans crazy that there are so many of us down here. Deshea's INT/TD made my day at work the next day one of the best ever.

rbryan
01-10-2009, 11:11 AM
Hines best attribute (after the 800 catches.....lol) is his relentless blocking on EVERY play. He is an unselfish team player. Anyone who won't acknowledge that needs to think twice about ever voting for an OL into the HOF as well. Last time I checked the great Olineman in the history of the NFL already enshrined don't have "TO" numbers when it comes to scoring TD's either.

The real travesty here is that most HOF voters think a douchebag/ team cancer like TO is a shoe in for the HOF

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-10-2009, 12:05 PM
I still think Art Monk was a better WR in his era than Hines Ward was in his era. Its why I think he will have a long wait to get into the HOF. Kind of like L.C. Greenwood.

I hope he makes it someday, but if I take my B&G colored glasses off. I think he has a 50:50 shot.

markymarc
01-10-2009, 08:54 PM
Ward will need a few more years of good production, but IMO he will eventually get there.