PDA

View Full Version : Screen Plays

steelpride12
01-08-2009, 07:58 PM
I feel Sproles will not have a big game running whatsoever against the #1 defense, and he won't have a mad good return game with our improved special teams, and i feel the more rugged playing surface will slow him down.

Sproles will be a huge threat on the screen plays because once he is in the open field and gets speed this kid can make one quick move and he is gone.
Do you think the Steelers will put a Linebacker spy on him or play any sort of D to make sure this doesn't happen?

JPSEMP
01-08-2009, 09:21 PM
Timmons is definetly our best pursuit backer (in my opinion) ,altough he sometimes over runs the ball carrier at the point of impact. Defense just has to remain disciplined and be aware of the cutback. I think they will be fine. I could see Sproules having some success on draws and delays. lebeau has been amazing with his game planning this year it will be interesting to see what he has planned.

Steel_Bus_24
01-08-2009, 09:36 PM
man our screen game needs to come alive

anyone remember the screen play we did early on in the Bears game of 05??

We've fallen so far since then in that department

sdnunes
01-08-2009, 10:01 PM
Do you think the Steelers will put a Linebacker spy on him or play any sort of D to make sure this doesn't happen?

Tony Hipchest assured us that the Steelers will be "aware" of Sproles, but won't focus on him. So, no spy.

sdnunes
01-09-2009, 02:56 AM
I think the only time he may get yards on a screen is if they can hit one while troy is blitzing. Other than that I think Troy drops him where he catches the ball.

I think Polamalu will be on Gates when he's not blitzing...

Galax Steeler
01-09-2009, 04:55 AM
I hope our deffense is ready for this because I have a feeling we are going to see alot of screens but I have faith in LeBeau and he will have our deffense ready for this.

Steelers Since '75
01-09-2009, 08:00 AM
I don't think we will see that many screens because they will need Sproles to help out in protection... otherwise Rivers will be on his back most of the day. If he does come out of the backfield then Timmons should be the spy watching for him... Polmalu will be the Gates neutralizer.

CanadianSteel
01-09-2009, 09:25 AM

I remember it fondly along with the screen type play we ran to Paker versus the Bengals in the playoffs where Wille waltzed into the endzone un touched to get us back in the game.

Do they just not practise the screens ? You figure during the whole year you be able to run a few sucsessful .....but a big friggin zero for us.... and its sucha good way to beat a blitz....

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-09-2009, 09:34 AM
Do they just not practise the screens ? You figure during the whole year you be able to run a few sucsessful .....but a big friggin zero for us.... and its sucha good way to beat a blitz....

I honestly dont think they do practice many screen passes. The attempts that I see the Steelers make at them seem to be more middle screens that laterally. I honestly dont think they were a big part of BA's offense in Cleveland 6-7 years ago and still dont fit the offense.`

Chargers are good at executing screen passes from what I have seen. Recognition, team speed and 11 guys to the football is always the answer to screen passes.

Burghfan58
01-09-2009, 12:07 PM

I thought this thread was going to be about the Steelers inability to run a good screen. I haven't seen a decent one all season. Most of the time Ben can't even complete the pass. I guess it's not a high priority with Arians. I'd love to see them get that back in their repitoire.

lilyoder6
01-09-2009, 12:18 PM
i seen times were we ran a screen to the te...

cubanstogie
01-09-2009, 12:29 PM
I would have to think the Steelers are aware of the screen threat by
Sproles. We know we are vulnerable do to our style of play, blitz blitz blitz. Someone made the quote days ago live by the sword, die by the sword. I think they will have some success with it, but thats the price you pay for getting pressure on Rivers. Its a strength vs Strength IMO , hopefully we can sniff it out and stuff it before Sproles has any room to run. That and the draw play to Sproles is the biggest threat I see. I don't think Rivers will have success throwing downfield. I hope he tries though. We just need to hit Gates hard the first time he touches ball so he realizes he isn't playing against the Colts or Broncos that would be good for a couple of drops later in game.

Hammer67
01-09-2009, 12:52 PM
Tomlin said in his press conference that screen passes are one of the areas that the chargers can hurt you. I will translate the coachspeak:

"We will be scheming specifically to stop Sproles out of the backfield (via rush or screen pass) and force them to throw down field"

DACEB
01-09-2009, 01:11 PM
Tomlin said in his press conference that screen passes are one of the areas that the chargers can hurt you. I will translate the coachspeak:

"We will be scheming specifically to stop Sproles out of the backfield (via rush or screen pass) and force them to throw down field"

Good call Hammer. Good possibility that S'back and Wood play the flats more unless it's obvious pass situation. Remember S'back had an int. in the flat last game.

Do you think it's possible we see a heavier dose of Timmons, due to Gates, and Sproles quickness.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-09-2009, 01:20 PM

Thanks for interpreting. Stop Sproles and make Rivers beat you throwing the ball in the snow and cold.

I bet the Chargers have the same plan.

stlrtruck
01-09-2009, 01:47 PM
I bet the Chargers have the same plan.

Difference is the Steelers have been able to do it in the cold weather!

Hammer67
01-09-2009, 01:59 PM
Good call Hammer. Good possibility that S'back and Wood play the flats more unless it's obvious pass situation. Remember S'back had an int. in the flat last game.

Do you think it's possible we see a heavier dose of Timmons, due to Gates, and Sproles quickness.

My opinion? You will see more nickle packages mixed in the the base 3-4, with Timmons the RB "spy" looking for Sproles in the flats.

I see Gates being doubled with a safety, as well...but I heard he was a bit gimpy going in.

markymarc
01-09-2009, 07:34 PM
My opinion? You will see more nickle packages mixed in the the base 3-4, with Timmons the RB "spy" looking for Sproles in the flats.

I see Gates being doubled with a safety, as well...but I heard he was a bit gimpy going in.

I would love to see Timmons in that "spy" role and have an increased work load on Sunday. But no question the defense has to be very disciplined with the screen plays.

BehindSteelCurtain
01-09-2009, 07:37 PM
Harrison and Polamalu will take away the screens. Our D has too many weapons.

BehindSteelCurtain
01-09-2009, 07:42 PM
Infact I bet the Steelers will swarm Sproles every time he touches the ball.

Steel4eva
01-09-2009, 07:48 PM
Timmons will flatten him

HometownGal
01-10-2009, 07:24 AM
BUMP