PDA

View Full Version : Parker to Sproles: don't try to cutback By Jim Wexell

mesaSteeler
01-09-2009, 05:38 AM
http://www.heraldstandard.com/site/printerFriendly.cfm?brd=2280&dept_id=468632&newsid=20237682
01/09/2009
Parker to Sproles: don't try to cutback
By Jim Wexell , For the Herald-Standard

PITTSBURGH - Willie Parker has some advice for Darren Sproles, the diminutive San Diego Chargers running back who cuts like a cat on fire.
"On this surface," said Parker, "all that cutting won't be effective."

Advertisement
Sproles will play tailback in place of LaDainian Tomlinson, who finally admitted to reporters Wednesday that his groin tendon "is definitely torn."

The Chargers still list Tomlinson as doubtful, but he'll miss his second consecutive AFC Championship Game with an injury.

Last week, Tomlinson carried five times for 25 yards and a touchdown, while Sproles, the 5-foot-6, 181-pounder, became the star of the overtime win over the Indianapolis Colts. He carried 23 times for 105 yards and two touchdowns and also caught five passes for 45 yards.

It was Sproles's second consecutive 100-yard game. He'd rushed for 115 yards on 14 carries the previous week against the Denver Broncos. His only other 100-yard game came in 2007 against the Detroit Lions. Sproles set 23 school records as a running back at Kansas State, but since being drafted in the fourth round of the 2005 draft he's been used primarily as a return man in the NFL ... until now.

"That cutting and quickness and all that, it's great," Parker said. "But I don't think he's going to like it here."

Parker has rushed for 213 and 223 yards in games at Heinz Field, but said it takes experience to get a feel for the running surface.

"I've played on it enough to know when to cut and when not to," he said. "It really does take some getting used to."

WEATHER ON THEIR MINDS

The Chargers played in snow and a 26-degree wind chill factor at Heinz Field on Nov. 16, and apparently it bothered them.

The Chargers have requested to bring along their own generator to Heinz Field in order to provide adequate warmth on their sideline in what the National Weather Service predicts will be 20 to 27-degree weather.

The Steelers have never fielded such a request, but are expected to relent. That background may explain Coach Mike Tomlin's response Thursday to a question about the weather.

"Weather's not going to be an issue," Tomlin said. "We are in the divisional round of the playoffs. If anybody is concerned about the cold, there's a strong chance they're going to go home."

EARLY ARRIVAL REQUESTED

The Steelers request that fans arrive early to Heinz Field to avoid logjams at the entrance gates near kickoff (4:45 p.m.).

To that end, the Steelers scheduled the corporate 1980s rock band Styx to sing the national anthem, followed by a military flyover.

Styx will attempt to sing at 4:30 p.m., followed by player introductions. The coin toss with honorary co-captain Jerome Bettis will occur at 4:40 p.m.

Gates A and B will open at 1:30 p.m. and Gate C will open at 2:30 p.m. Fans can shop at the merchandise store, peruse the Great Hall, or watch the NFC playoff game on the scoreboard. The Mystic Knights, a real rock band, will perform before the game in the West Main concourse.

stillers4me
01-09-2009, 05:41 AM
The Chargers played in snow and a 26-degree wind chill factor at Heinz Field on Nov. 16, and apparently it bothered them.

The Chargers have requested to bring along their own generator to Heinz Field in order to provide adequate warmth on their sideline in what the National Weather Service predicts will be 20 to 27-degree weather.

The Steelers have never fielded such a request, but are expected to relent. That background may explain Coach Mike Tomlin's response Thursday to a question about the weather.

"Weather's not going to be an issue," Tomlin said. "We are in the divisional round of the playoffs. If anybody is concerned about the cold, there's a strong chance they're going to go home."

Welcome to Heinz Field in January. :applaudit:

God, I love this guy more and more.

FSUBoo
01-09-2009, 05:46 AM
http://www.heraldstandard.com/site/printerFriendly.cfm?brd=2280&dept_id=468632&newsid=20237682

I read that as "yeah, it's gonna be cold, come get your ass kicked and limp home"

CanadianSteel
01-09-2009, 09:30 AM
If the weather and field gets into the Charger heads (like the Cowboys) then all the better.

As far as Willie quote:
"I've played on it enough to know when to cut and when not to," he said. "It really does take some getting used to."

I have seen Willie slip and fall, much more than any opposing player at Heinz and he does it on a regular basis so I really dont think he should be giving advice...

TackleMeBen
01-09-2009, 09:37 AM
he should be saying yeah this turf is great to cut on..lol.. not telling the opposing running back that its not great to cut on..

Jammer
01-09-2009, 09:50 AM
Parker should shutup and play... after the game maybe Sproles will gave him some pointers :)

stlrtruck
01-09-2009, 10:16 AM
Parker should shutup and play... after the game maybe Sproles will gave him some pointers :)

You ever hear of good sportsmanship? Maybe just trying to prevent another player from breaking their leg like he did is on the same turf?

I guess it's not an every day common occurence in San Diego or for the majority of their fans! :thumbsup:

And maybe after the game Willie won't have to look at him and say, "I told ya so!"

Hammer67
01-09-2009, 10:20 AM
Hey....Bettis doing the coin toss....nice.

Dr. Steel
01-09-2009, 11:22 AM
The article stated that LT will miss his second consecutive AFC title game. OId Jim Wexell should have checked his work before print. This is the divisional round and not the AFC title game. Unless Wexell thinks the Chargers are going to win and then LT would miss his second AFC title game.

FSUBoo
01-09-2009, 12:44 PM
You ever hear of good sportsmanship? Maybe just trying to prevent another player from breaking their leg like he did is on the same turf?

I guess it's not an every day common occurence in San Diego or for the majority of their fans! :thumbsup:

And maybe after the game Willie won't have to look at him and say, "I told ya so!"

Actually Willie was in St.Louis in the dome when he broke his leg.

Polamalu43
01-09-2009, 01:03 PM

HAHAH and says the guy with the name jammer. don't make me laugh clown! so hows jammer's career going so far? cause everytime i see that fool, hes geting toast!! And any chargeless fan that thinks they are gonna run the ball on us, in this weather is crazy and should get there brain checked!

stlrtruck
01-09-2009, 01:10 PM
Actually Willie was in St.Louis in the dome when he broke his leg.

My bad, I thought he was at home.

Still point being if you're not careful on the carpet, it could hender your career or end it!

Jammer
01-09-2009, 01:13 PM
HAHAH and says the guy with the name jammer. don't make me laugh clown! so hows jammer's career going so far? cause everytime i see that fool, hes geting toast!! And any chargeless fan that thinks they are gonna run the ball on us, in this weather is crazy and should get there brain checked!

What the weather got to do with running the Ball?:banging:

Polamalu43
01-09-2009, 01:14 PM

hahha is this a serious question?? :toofunny::rofl:

I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
01-09-2009, 01:39 PM

It is actually quite helpful. Frozen ground is easier to get traction in and it doesn't hurt near as much when you get tackled...

LVSteelersfan
01-09-2009, 02:07 PM
It is actually quite helpful. Frozen ground is easier to get traction in and it doesn't hurt near as much when you get tackled...

:sofunny: :sofunny: :sofunny: :sofunny: :sofunny: :sofunny:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Only a fan of a fair weather team would ask what the weather has to do with a running game, ROFL

JackHammer
01-09-2009, 02:11 PM
Welcome to Heinz Field in January. :applaudit:

God, I love this guy more and more.

Damn straight. Football is a tough game for TOUGH MEN. If you can't handle a little cold then you don't belong on the field. It might not even go below 20 and they want to bring extra heat? The hot benches that are already there will do just fine, thank you. Friggin pansies :sofunny::rofl::sofunny::rofl:

FSUBoo
01-09-2009, 03:19 PM
My bad, I thought he was at home.

Still point being if you're not careful on the carpet, it could hender your career or end it!

I wasn't correcting you, I was just saying that it had nothing to do with the turf. His toe just got caught in the ground and and his leg got twisted when the tackle was made.

Preacher
01-09-2009, 03:28 PM
I'm surprised no one picked up on this bit in the article... I found it HILARIOUS.

the Steelers scheduled the corporate 1980s rock band Styx

and then at the end of the article. . . .

The Mystic Knights, a real rock band, will perform . . .

:rofl:

Really Jim, how do you feel about music?

tony hipchest
01-09-2009, 03:38 PM
The Mystic Nights??? :huh:

:hunch:

markymarc
01-09-2009, 07:53 PM
While that's classy of FWP offering advice for an opposing RB, just go out and get your rushing groove on. Show them how to run on Heinz Field FWP.

BehindSteelCurtain
01-09-2009, 08:04 PM
Tomlinson always pussies out of playoff games. I think it was because of their loss to the Patriots and we're he was crying. God he's such a cry baby. Tebow would play with 2 broken legs and a broken arm. Tebow's leadership and passion for the game is unbelievable.

devilsdancefloor
01-09-2009, 08:35 PM
so a live version of renagade ????? who are the The Mystic Knights since they are a real rock band unlike styx?

santoniosbabysmomma
01-09-2009, 11:58 PM
i really think aaron smith is going to have a big game....also watched the rerun on nfl network of the last game and noticed that larry foote made some great plays in the backfield, lets hope this continues in 2 days

paw-n-maul-u
01-10-2009, 12:33 AM
Man, I gotta vent some steam.

If you listened to the talking heads like Bill Simmons and Seth Wickersham of ESPN or Prisco of Sportsline or any of another number of fools that are picking the chargers to upset the steelers, you almost want to puke.

It is absofreakinglutely ridiculous. P. Rivers is gettin his semi-lobon sucked (a little ali G reference for anyone who knows) more than tommy lee in that Pam video.

I dont understand it. We slayed the chargers almost 2-1 in yards that game. Ben picked apart their secondary IN THE BAD WEATHER, and the score of that game was in no way an indication of how it played out.

for anyone who wants to get more dumb. read Seth Wick's article on ESPN.

His first three reasons the chargers will be the steelers are:
1-LT is not playing. wtf?

2D. Sproles is playing. WTF? He must have been fishing REALLY hard to come up with D. Sproles as the X-factor to this game ... in heinz field weather ... vs. the steelers D no less. Lawrence Timmons is going to have a field day with him, I hope he's licking his chops.

3- THE FUHHHING PUNTER!!!! christ. Was the first chargers game not the game where berger was holdin his hammy after every kick? or was that colts week before. I dunno. Whatever.

Berger in the last three games 42 yard. avg. 44. yrd afv and 46 yard avg. and each game his distance has been better and he's pinned more in the 20's. Such a bunch of hoopla.

Alright. That's enough for now. I have to go puke again. Wickershams articles is now front pages espn.com. barf

SteelCityMom
01-10-2009, 01:13 AM
No the Chargers game was the first game we had with Ernster (or the second, I just know Ernster was the punter for that game) and it was right before the Bengals game when he was being effectively booed after every punt by our fans. I'm thankful that Berger is back and healthy, he's no Sepulveda, but with how well our ST coverage units have been doing this season, that kind of makes up for losing him.

I don't know why the media is fawning all over Rivers either, he played a HORRIBLE game against the Colts, they won that game not because of him, but because they took advantage of the Colts extremely weak run D....3 rushing TD's and a FG. Rivers stats for that game were 61.9 rating, 20/36 for 217 yards 0 TDs and 1 INT. I don't think it's quite sunk into the media (or the Chargers fans) minds that this isn't the Colts defense they are facing and they won't be able to run on us like that. This will force Rivers into having to pass more than he would like which is a death sentence against our D.

SteelersinCA
01-10-2009, 01:59 AM
No the Chargers game was the first game we had with Ernster (or the second, I just know Ernster was the punter for that game) and it was right before the Bengals game when he was being effectively booed after every punt by our fans. I'm thankful that Berger is back and healthy, he's no Sepulveda, but with how well our ST coverage units have been doing this season, that kind of makes up for losing him.

I don't know why the media is fawning all over Rivers either, he played a HORRIBLE game against the Colts, they won that game not because of him, but because they took advantage of the Colts extremely weak run D....3 rushing TD's and a FG. Rivers stats for that game were 61.9 rating, 20/36 for 217 yards 0 TDs and 1 INT. I don't think it's quite sunk into the media (or the Chargers fans) minds that this isn't the Colts defense they are facing and they won't be able to run on us like that. This will force Rivers into having to pass more than he would like which is a death sentence against our D.

10 bucks says they realize that Sunday night! Takers?

HometownGal
01-10-2009, 07:18 AM
BUMP

markymarc
01-10-2009, 12:06 PM
I don't know why the media is fawning all over Rivers either, he played a HORRIBLE game against the Colts, they won that game not because of him, but because they took advantage of the Colts extremely weak run D....3 rushing TD's and a FG.

It's nothing more than Rivers, Sproles and Scifres being the flavors of the week. It will all change come next week once the Bolts are gone from the playoffs :tt02:

LittleTank
01-10-2009, 12:15 PM
im not sold on these poor firld conditions yet. if the field is wet ya sproles wouldnt be able to cut but if its just snow and frozen turf he will still have the ability to cut.

markymarc
01-10-2009, 12:28 PM
im not sold on these poor firld conditions yet. if the field is wet ya sproles wouldnt be able to cut but if its just snow and frozen turf he will still have the ability to cut.

I still believe the field will be our 12th defender on Sunday. IMO it will effect the way Sproles runs.

SteelCityMom
01-10-2009, 12:32 PM
I so wish the game was today, it's freezing rain right now and is supposed to turn back into snow later, perfect Steelers football weather! Nobody would be cutting or running fast on that turf in those conditions, it just doesn't happen that way lol.

LittleTank
01-10-2009, 12:37 PM
I so wish the game was today, it's freezing rain right now and is supposed to turn back into snow later, perfect Steelers football weather! Nobody would be cutting or running fast on that turf in those conditions, it just doesn't happen that way lol.
sproles has a pair of hover boots so that wont be a problem.

SteelCityMom
01-10-2009, 12:43 PM
sproles has a pair of hover boots so that wont be a problem.

Yeah well Willie has a jet pack attached to his back so it wouldn't matter for him either! :nana: