PDA

View Full Version : Harrison doesn't want to talk about the weather

mesaSteeler
01-09-2009, 06:41 AM
Harrison doesn't want to talk about the weather
http://www.timesonline.com/articles/2009/01/08/sports/steelers/doc4966dba089674173807664.txt
By Mike Bires, Times Sports Staff

PITTSBURGH — James Harrison may be an all-star linebacker. But he’s not an all-star talker.

He just doesn’t enjoy talking to the media, even when he’s being asked about how well he’s playing for the Steelers.

And when he’s asked a question that he deems “dumb,” well, the NFL’s 2008 Defensive Player of the Year can be downright ornery.

He was at one point Thursday during an interview while talking about Sunday’s playoff game against the San Diego Chargers. He didn’t appreciate fielding questions from a Pittsburgh sportscaster about how the weather might affect Sunday’s game.

Question: “Did you hear the weather forecast for Sunday?”

Harrison: “No.”

Question: “It’s going to be 18 degrees. Coming from San Diego, is that an advantage for you?”

Harrison: “We both have to play in it, so what’s the advantage?”

Question: “But they are practicing in 75 degrees doesn’t that …”

Harrison: “We can go practice in the heated indoor facility so what does that matter? That’s a stupid question. I’m done.”

With that, Harrision walked away from a huge contingent of local and national media types.

Yes, Harison was right about the Steelers practicing in their indoor facility the past two days. But that field is not heated.

This week in San Diego, several Chargers were asked about the weather. After all, when the Steelers beat the Chargers in Pittsburgh on Nov. 16, it was 35 degrees at kickoff. With snow flurries and 14 mphwinds, the wind chill factor was 26 degrees.

It just so happened that Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers, who led the NFL this year with a 105.5 passer rating, played his worst game of the year. He threw only for 159 yards, no touchdowns and two interceptions and had a 44.4 passer rating, easily his worst performance of the season.

After practice Thursday, Steelers offensive coordinator Bruce Arians said that the Steelers don’t mind playing in wintry conditions.

“It’s like a walk in the park for us,” Arians said. “We love it.”

stillers4me
01-09-2009, 06:44 AM
Harrison: "That’s a stupid question. I’m done.”

:toofunny:

MasterOfPuppets
01-09-2009, 09:13 AM
“It’s like a walk in the park for us,” Arians said. “We love it.” then why practice indoors? :noidea:

SteelCityKing
01-09-2009, 09:16 AM
Harrison...you tell it like it is.

TackleMeBen
01-09-2009, 09:36 AM
that just shows you have stupid the media is... and you have to love harrison's response..lol

nickelbolt
01-09-2009, 09:37 AM
The weather will not be a factor. The Chargers have trouble playing on the East Coast PERIOD. Most of these guys have played in bad weather in college, high school, etc. When it comes time to crack heads, they are all football players and will adapt immediately to the play on the field.

Tempo and intensity will determine the winner. It wouldn't matter if it was played in San Diego, Pittsburgh, or Siberia.

Harrison is right. it's a stupid question.

Danger DANJ
01-09-2009, 09:38 AM
I love how it says that Rivers had his worst game of the season against us implying it was because of the cold. It couldn't possibly have been the #1 defense in the NFL that made him play lke that, huh? Jackass!

Harrison should pick that guy up and slam him like a Browns fan.

Michael Keller
01-09-2009, 09:39 AM
Harrison gains further respect from me.

MasterOfPuppets
01-09-2009, 09:45 AM
had that been porter, he'd have locked the doors so the reporters couldn't get away , and STILL be talking. :chuckle:

GodofGridiron
01-09-2009, 10:11 AM
Of course.........James knows the deal. Hes smart. It wont be long until a reporter from some major media outlet baits a player into guaranteeing a victory.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-09-2009, 10:21 AM
Its a question that somebody was gonna ask. Harrison is just a dude with a nasty disposition. I dont know who is meaner.......him or Greg Lloyd?

Hammer67
01-09-2009, 11:16 AM
I want a "I wasn't hired for my disposition" shirt. lol...

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-09-2009, 11:22 AM
Remember in 2005 season opener vs the Titans when Cowher was scolding Harrison for a special teams hold?? Harrison just told Cowher "$hit happens"

Could always be a new T-shirt for Harrison.

Pi Kapp Steeler
01-09-2009, 11:24 AM
Remember in 2005 season opener vs the Titans when Cowher was scolding Harrison for a special teams hold?? Harrison just told Cowher "$hit happens"

Could always be a new T-shirt for Harrison.

Haha gonzo i was about to say that. But I do remember, and Cowher was like uhhh ok good comeback cant really intiminate this guy!

tony hipchest
01-09-2009, 11:41 AM

Could always be a new T-shirt for Harrison.with the yellow muddy smiley face from "forrest gump" :smile:

wheres section514? we can sell him the idea for a 10% take apiece. :chuckle: actually it is worth suggesting to him.

back on topic, has anyone ever heard harrison laugh. on the rare occasion i hear him do an interview on sirius i have to turn the volume up cause he is so quiet. he does seem angry almost to the point of being disturbed. on the flipside were porter and lloyd who were always loud as hell.

stlrtruck
01-09-2009, 11:50 AM
back on topic, has anyone ever heard harrison laugh. on the rare occasion i hear him do an interview on sirius i have to turn the volume up cause he is so quiet. he does seem angry almost to the point of being disturbed. on the flipside were porter and lloyd who were always loud as hell.

He just seems pissed off that he has to do the interviews. He wants nothing more than to get off the air and get back to business - the business this week, making rivers hurt!

Hammer67
01-09-2009, 12:38 PM
Ed Bouchette, in one of his chats, said that Harrison isn't like that off the record. He said it may be more for show. Kind of like Lambert playing up the "dracula in cleats" image.

SteelCityMom
01-09-2009, 01:08 PM
with the yellow muddy smiley face from "forrest gump" :smile:

wheres section514? we can sell him the idea for a 10% take apiece. :chuckle: actually it is worth suggesting to him.

If you watch the video of the SI shoot you see rare footage of the aggressive Silverback laughing and smiling with Troy and the other guys, don't blink cause you might miss it!

lilyoder6
01-09-2009, 01:15 PM
that reporter must feel stupid right about now

stillers4me
01-09-2009, 06:38 PM
, has anyone ever heard harrison laugh. on the rare occasion i hear him do an interview on sirius i have to turn the volume up cause he is so quiet. he does seem angry almost to the point of being disturbed. on the flipside were porter and lloyd who were always loud as hell.

Well.....yeah! I have picture of him smiling beside me and my husband and he's got a great smile and a good sense of humor! Yep......James laughs, smiles and is a cutup, too! He seemed to be having a good time with the fans. You're busted, James!!

I just don't think he's thrilled about doing interviews and talking about himself.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-09-2009, 07:09 PM
with the yellow muddy smiley face from "forrest gump" :smile:

How about a pick of Harrison sacking Rivers, next to one of McNeil holding him with the title. "A Sack Happens...........Holding doesn't". I'll cut you in for half of my 10% Tony. :cash

westcoastransplant
01-09-2009, 07:57 PM
I've been amazed of how much his play reminds me of Lloyd. His intensity, the way he comes off the edge and strips the ball from the QB, and the way he has become a nightmare to oposing QB's. Now he even sounds like Lloyd.

stlrz fan
01-09-2009, 08:02 PM
Quiet and professional! Bada$$!!!!

BehindSteelCurtain
01-09-2009, 08:02 PM
He sounds ticked off. That's good because I like those games where he goes on rampages.

markymarc
01-09-2009, 09:13 PM
You have to love Harrison. All that I ask is Harrison unleashes his pent up rage on Rivers and company on Sunday. Sounds like he is ready to play some football again. Go get em Silverback.

BehindSteelCurtain
01-09-2009, 09:17 PM
In other words, " I promise you that no other player will play as hard as I will for the rest of the season, I promise you that no other team will prepare and play as hard as we will the rest of the season. God Bless"

LVSteelersfan
01-09-2009, 09:28 PM
Come on Silverback. Go out there and pretend that the Chargers are those reporters asking you questions and rip their heads off. Get mad. Make them pay for their insolence of actually showing up to play in this game. Make them go back to the Left Coast with their tails between their legs.

HometownGal
01-09-2009, 09:35 PM
that just shows you have stupid the media is... and you have to love harrison's response..lol

What is so stupid about the question the reporter asked him? It's a very legitimate question imho, considering the forecast for this area at the time the question was asked. :doh:

I'd much prefer to see Silverback continue exhibiting his "badazzness" on the field on Sunday.

SteelCityMom
01-09-2009, 10:34 PM
What is so stupid about the question the reporter asked him? It's a very legitimate question imho, considering the forecast for this area at the time the question was asked. :doh:

I'd much prefer to see Silverback continue exhibiting his "badazzness" on the field on Sunday.

I think to him it's a stupid question because they are trying to get him to say something against the Chargers and how they will play versus Pitt who are used to these types of conditions. He did the smart thing by basically saying that weather makes no difference and that both teams have to play in it, no need to give away free bulletin board material. I think he got upset by them continuing with that line of questioning after he had already given his opinion on the matter.

HometownGal
01-10-2009, 08:22 AM
BUMP

markymarc
01-10-2009, 01:11 PM

Silverback will definitely be displaying some major "badzzness" on Sunday night. His pent up energy will be released full force on Rivers and company.