PDA

View Full Version : "Trophy Towel"

Stlrs4Life
01-09-2009, 09:13 AM
Terrible! NFL 'Trophy Towel' plays off 'Burgh original

By Rob Biertempfel (rbiertempfel@tribweb.com), TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, January 9, 2009

Steelers fans' beloved Terrible Towel has been trampled, torn, sullied, spit on and used as a handkerchief. The terrycloth rooter has been copied by teams in practically every pro league.

But ol' Terrible, a Pittsburgh original, never has been replaced. The latest copycat is coming not from another team, but the National Football League itself.

The NFL has given its blessing to a jumbo-sized "Trophy Towel," which will be draped over players on the field after 1ʍoq ɹǝdns XLIII. It will be hawked in television ads immediately after the game and, of course, sold in stores nationwide.

"They're trying to piggyback off Myron Cope's wondrous product," said Steelers play-by-play announcer Bill Hillgrove. "It's a cheap imitation. I think it's wrong."

Hillgrove shared the broadcast booth for 12 seasons with Cope, the colorful creator of the Terrible Towel. Cope died last year.

The Trophy Towel will be produced by Wisconsin-based McArthur Towel and Sports -- the company that makes the Terrible Towel.

Although the Trophy Towel might receive a rude reception in Pittsburgh, the NFL hopes it will fly off store shelves like the hot-selling "locker room edition" championship T-shirts and hats.

"We thought it was time to add something new," said Leo Kane, the NFL's vice president of consumer products. "The towel just felt right."

The league won't reveal much about its newbie towel. Publicity photos are locked in the NFL's New York office until after next week's AFC and NFC championship games.
Without being too descriptive, Kane said the Trophy Towel will be heavier and much larger -- 24 inches by 42 inches -- than the Terrible Towel. It will be available only in white, not any particular team's colors.

"It was never, ever intended to try to cannibalize the great tradition of the Terrible Towel," Kane said. "We wanted to make sure it was different."

Different? Maybe. But it still seems sacrilegious to Steelers defensive end Aaron Smith.

"Would you want to wave a towel (for another team) when we all know where it started?" Smith said. "Everybody knows where the idea came from. I'm always shocked when they have towels in other stadiums.

"It started here, so why would anyone else want to have a towel? Why not kazoos?"
Steelers fans have bought countless Terrible Towels since Cope came up with the idea in 1975.

Originally, Cope urged fans to twirl simple yellow dish towels to cheer on the Steelers. The concept evolved into a heavyweight, golden towel emblazoned with "Myron Cope's Official Terrible Towel" and the team logo.

Proceeds from Terrible Towel sales have generated more than $2.2 million for Allegheny Valley School, which assists mentally disabled children and adults. Cope donated the trademark to the school in 1996.

The Trophy Towel will retail for $25, three times as much as the Terrible Towel.
"For (the NFL) to piggyback on it and try to make money doing it, I have an ethical problem with that," Hillgrove said. "Shame on the NFL for doing it."

The Trophy Towel is only the latest Terrible wannabee. Green Bay Packers fans wave "Title Towels" at Lambeau Field. The Vancouver Canucks' faithful began bringing white towels to playoff games in the early 1980s.

After beating the Steelers 31-14 three weeks ago, Tennessee Titans players LenDale White and Keith Bullock stomped a Terrible Towel on the sideline.

On Saturday, however, White and Bullock will have their own towels to wave. The Titans will hand out thousands of blue rally towels for their AFC Divisional playoff game against the Baltimore Ravens at LP Field.

"Cheap imitations," Hillgrove grumbled.

For its debut game, only 50,000 to 60,000 Trophy Towels will be produced.

"If the Steelers win their sixth 1ʍoq ɹǝdns, we'd love to think there'll be just as many Terrible Towels sold as always," Kane said. "We want the Trophy Towel to be something (about which) Steelers fans would say, 'This is just something else to add to my collection.' "

Hammer67
01-09-2009, 09:56 AM
This will be short lived and die quickly like most of the other imitators...

TheWarDen86
01-09-2009, 10:02 AM
Dumb. Just plain dumb.

klick81
01-09-2009, 10:07 AM
Bunch of BS. It's not bad enough that teams want to be like the Steelers, but now the NFL itself is looking to capitalize off of a dead man's idea.

Buzz05
01-09-2009, 10:28 AM
BLASPHEMY!!!!!

Just another reason why Goodell sucks

stlrtruck
01-09-2009, 10:32 AM
Leave up to Goodell to leave his fingerprints over something so foul!!!

Pi Kapp Steeler
01-09-2009, 10:43 AM
Yo listen to this. I go to school down here in North Carolina, an when i was driving around the Charlotte area the guy on the radio station said that they are gunna give every Panthers fan a "Growl Towel"

My girlfriend who claims to be a panthers fan, but still doesnt understand the difference between a extra point and a field goal was like. "Thats so stupid, everyone knows that is The STEELERS thing"

Shes been hangin out with me too much , im trying to convert her.

:tt03: Go steelers!

stlrtruck
01-09-2009, 10:46 AM
BLASPHEMY!!!!!

Just another reason why Goodell sucks

He'll do anything to ruin anything STEELERS!!!

Yo listen to this. I go to school down here in North Carolina, an when i was driving around the Charlotte area the guy on the radio station said that they are gunna give every Panthers fan a "Growl Towel"

My girlfriend who claims to be a panthers fan, but still doesnt understand the difference between a extra point and a field goal was like. "Thats so stupid, everyone knows that is The STEELERS thing"

Stay the course, she'll eventually come around!!!

Hammer67
01-09-2009, 10:47 AM
you should call the station and ask why they are trying to copy the Steelers.

Pi Kapp Steeler
01-09-2009, 10:51 AM
you know that thats a good idea, I might do that! Pretty sure they will make me out to look like a total duechbag cause im the caller, and theyre the radio station.

TackleMeBen
01-09-2009, 10:51 AM
you know what they say.. anything to make a buck...

well if the steelers win i am sure they will be showing off their 'terrible towels' not this fake crap!!!

#1LambertFan
01-09-2009, 10:58 AM
Bunch of BS. It's not bad enough that teams want to be like the Steelers, but now the NFL itself is looking to capitalize off of a dead man's idea.

Notice how they didn't decide to do this until after Cope (rest his soul) died. They do it when the founder can no longer defend his own idea. If I ever see one I will destroy it as quickly as possible. I know it makes me seem like a poor fan but there is a tradition to protect!

revefsreleets
01-09-2009, 11:02 AM
This thing is almost as ghey as that homosexual Charger "thing" in the blast furnace...

TackleMeBen
01-09-2009, 11:04 AM
This thing is almost as ghey as that homosexual Charger "thing" in the blast furnace...
we need to dress that charger thing up with one of these towels.... :chuckle:. and then we can all practice our dart throwing:sofunny:

#1LambertFan
01-09-2009, 11:05 AM

I agree with stlrtruck. Stay the course. I believe that everyone truly was born to be a Steelers fan but sometimes they aren't fortunate enough to see the light before it's too late. I alone have converted 6 people in the last 2 years that I know of, one of which is my girlfriend and two others are very good friends of mine.

Dino 6 Rings
01-09-2009, 04:58 PM
Isn't a "Trophy Towel" Pretty much the same thing as a Terrible towel?

I mean, they are OUR TROPHIES TO BEGINE WITH!

ALL OF THEM, BELONG TO THE STEELERS!

Some teams just sneak them away once in a while...but they are really ALL OURS!

HERE WE GO STEELERS HERE WE GO!

stillers4me
01-09-2009, 05:42 PM
Trophy Towel to drape over the players..........and they expect fans to shell out $25????

I don't even get it............

beSteelmyheart
01-09-2009, 06:50 PM
For all the smack they talk about our towels, it sure is curious how they all want one of their own. :wink02:

Often imitated but never duplicated: The Terrible Towel (a PITTSBURGH original)
:tt02:
That's because they are all a bunch of money-grubbing lameOs who can't grasp the concept of originality.

HometownGal
01-09-2009, 07:09 PM
Let the NFL have their stinkin' dust cloths.

Myron Cope's legacy and love for his Steelers lives on in the one, the only TERRIBLE TOWEL :tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02:

MasterOfPuppets
01-09-2009, 07:41 PM
bunch of hacks....:coffee:

The Duke
01-09-2009, 07:45 PM
Whatever happened to originality? :noidea:

Doesn't matter though. The rats will eliminate the worst #1 seed we've seen in the last few years

RoethlisBURGHer
01-09-2009, 08:52 PM
Well, it would only be appropriate that they attemp to drape these things over the Steelers.

I hope every member of the team brings a Terrible Towel with them, and when the NFL gives them these "Trophy Towels" to drape over themselves, I hope they refuse and drape themselves with the Original.

Maybe I'll buy one of these "Trophy Towels" though, I need something new to wash my car with.

Texasteel
01-10-2009, 06:02 AM
Let the NFL have their stinkin' dust cloths.

Myron Cope's legacy and love for his Steelers lives on in the one, the only TERRIBLE TOWEL :tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02:

They just can't think of anything original. They will grab at anything that they have seen works, rather than come up with something of their own. I guess there's just no more Myron's left in this buissness.

stlrz fan
01-10-2009, 07:21 AM
And all of those imitations evntually will make their way to the trash or sidewalk or just discarded. No reverence! No meaning or importance to the imposters.