PDA

View Full Version : Farrior has been a 'rock' for Steelers' defense

mesaSteeler
01-09-2009, 11:05 AM
Farrior has been a 'rock' for Steelers' defense
http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFL/AFC/AFC+North/Pittsburgh/WWHI/2008/wwhi010909.htm
By Mike Wilkening
Jan. 9, 2009

Steelers LILB James Farrior quietly had one of the most productive seasons of his career in 2008. Farrior, who turned 34 on Jan. 6, made 133 tackles, his highest total since ’03. He also defended five passes and notched 3˝ sacks.

“He’s just a rock,” Steelers defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau said of Farrior, a team captain. “He’s been everything for us.”

The 6-2, 243-pound Farrior, who signed with the Steelers in 2002, has been one of the most important free-agent additions in club history.

LeBeau told PFW that Farrior has set an invaluable example for the team’s younger defenders, and he pointed to how SS Troy Polamalu has emulated Farrior’s approach to the game.

Farrior, LeBeau noted, is not a vocal leader, but he has the unquestioned respect of his teammates. “He leads by actions, and we tend to believe that’s the best way to lead," LeBeau said.

Steelcitygal87
01-09-2009, 11:31 AM
"Farrior, LeBeau noted, is not a vocal leader, but he has the unquestioned respect of his teammates. “He leads by actions, and we tend to believe that’s the best way to lead," LeBeau said."

That quote could also be said of Aaron Smith, who doesn't get a lot of press along the same lines as Harrison and Troy, but just quietly goes about his job and is the key in defending against the run. Maurice-Jones Drew was just on First Take, and said as much. He said the Jags had a heck of a time getting any kind of running game going and it was because of Aaron Smith...the unsung hero on the Steeler's D.

Go Steelers!:tt03:

stlrtruck
01-09-2009, 11:47 AM
"Farrior, LeBeau noted, is not a vocal leader, but he has the unquestioned respect of his teammates. “He leads by actions, and we tend to believe that’s the best way to lead," LeBeau said."

That quote could also be said of Aaron Smith, who doesn't get a lot of press along the same lines as Harrison and Troy, but just quietly goes about his job and is the key in defending against the run. Maurice-Jones Drew was just on First Take, and said as much. He said the Jags had a heck of a time getting any kind of running game going and it was because of Aaron Smith...the unsung hero on the Steeler's D.

Go Steelers!:tt03:

It's always the quiet ones that get you in the end!!!

FSUBoo
01-09-2009, 01:47 PM
The old comment people use about farts works for Farrior and Smith, silent but deadly. They aren't the most talked about players on the Steelers, but they are some of the most important.

markymarc
01-09-2009, 08:28 PM
LeBeau has such a big influence with the Steelers defense. IMO the players take on the personality of LeBeau. They are very professional, work hard and let their playing on the field do all of the talking. Now here's to Farrior and the entire defense playing lights out on Sunday.

Steel4eva
01-09-2009, 08:45 PM
I LOVE FARRIOR!

KeiselPower99
01-09-2009, 09:21 PM
James is one of the best FA deals kevin Colbert has made.The other is Jeff Hartings. On a related note did anyone see first take this morning?? Maurice Jones-Drew was on there and said that Aaron Smith was the reason they couldnt run on us this season.

markymarc
01-09-2009, 09:27 PM
Maurice Jones-Drew was on there and said that Aaron Smith was the reason they couldnt run on us this season.

And Aaron Smith will be a big reason why the Bolts won't run on us Sunday. Great to see other players give Aaron Smith the respect he deserves.

HometownGal
01-09-2009, 09:39 PM
The 6-2, 243-pound Farrior, who signed with the Steelers in 2002, has been one of the most important free-agent additions in club history.

Very true. Potsie is the true definition of a Pittsburgh Steeler(s). I've loved him from "hello". :hatsoff::tt03:

Lukebok5150
01-09-2009, 10:59 PM
I was ecstatic when I found out that the Steelers picked up James Farrior and I am equally ecstatic that he will more than likely finish his career in a Steelers uniform. I believe that he is the unrecognized leader on the Steeler defense. He plays full throttle every play and he has did it ever since he played at Virginia. I am honored to have seen him play in person. He is just awesome!!!

BehindSteelCurtain
01-09-2009, 11:22 PM
Farrior has been a rock all year. Been very consistant finished top 5 in tackles also. Only question mark is his age but hopefully he can teach his leadership to Timmons.

WWIIOwheelz
01-09-2009, 11:23 PM
Between James Farrrior and Heath Miller, UVa will always be looked upon favorably by Steelers fans.

Steelcitygal87
01-10-2009, 03:17 AM
James is one of the best FA deals kevin Colbert has made.The other is Jeff Hartings. On a related note did anyone see first take this morning?? Maurice Jones-Drew was on there and said that Aaron Smith was the reason they couldnt run on us this season.

Yeah, I mentioned in my previous post I watched First Take and Maurice Jones-Drew's comments about Aaron Smith.

HometownGal
01-10-2009, 08:17 AM
BUMP

markymarc
01-10-2009, 01:02 PM
Between James Farrrior and Heath Miller, UVa will always be looked upon favorably by Steelers fans.

No question. We got 2 great players in Miller and Farrior from Virginia. Hopefully Miller will retire a Steeler as well.