PDA

View Full Version : Bandwagon v. Die Hard Fans Question

Hines4ever
01-09-2009, 01:05 PM
Ok, have a question. I've been a member of this board since September of this year and absolutely love it! There are so many knowledgable and interesting people representing Steeler Nation in a great way.

I've also read numerous threads and posts discussing and or complaining about "bandwagon fans".....although the phrase clearly doesn't need a definition per se.....I'm interested in everyone's perceptions as I'm sure there are many differing....So How woud you define a bandwagon fan vs. a die hard Steeler fan???
:tt02:

Polamalu43
01-09-2009, 01:19 PM
IMO...

Diehard = A fan that sticks to there team no matter what happens.

bandwagon = a person that stops rooting for there team, when they are bad or going through a tough season etc.

SteelersinCA
01-09-2009, 01:31 PM
IMO...

bandwagon = a person that stops rooting for there team, when they are bad or going through a tough season etc.

I hate to bring it up, no I don't I love it. Bandwagon fan = Chargers fans, e.g. the Chargers message board.

Hardcore fans = Steelers fans, e.g. watch a Steelers game at the opposing teams stadium and look at the terrible towels.

Oh and what Polumalo43 said!!!

SteelCityKing
01-09-2009, 01:32 PM
diehard, like previously stated, is a fan of the same team through the good times and the bad. the ups and the downs. the ins and the outs. has nothing but love for the team, players, coaches, and the organization along with love for the city that the team represents. a diehard fan, to me, is me. someone who has complete and utter faith in the one big love in his life...sports. but with that loves comes the heartache of losing and the naysayers, trash talkers, and haters in your ear at all times. it doesn't matter what they say, "aww man! i still love my team." is the general reply. because you know that having love in your team is having faith in something you can't control.

bandwagoners, people who have lost their way with the team they grew up watching. people who fell out of the good graces of their father's team and found a home and a new love with a new franchise but for all the wrong reasons. people who love you when you are hot and drop you when you are not. bandwagoners are people who are indecisive and they just want to fit in with everyone else. conform to the norm and glide through lie not ever blazin' any trails of their own or sticking by their own guns. bandwagoners are people who don't know the meaning of the word diehard.

wow! i can't believe i just said that and meant it AND i think i should put that in my memoirs. that sounded like Shakespeare meets Jesus! God, i can't even make eye contact with me right now! HA! kidding!

xlchamps
01-09-2009, 01:33 PM
IMO...

A dude you should check out my myspace, i think you'll love it lol.

My myspace url is

baller4life10590

xlchamps
01-09-2009, 01:35 PM
diehard, like previously stated, is a fan of the same team through the good times and the bad. the ups and the downs. the ins and the outs. has nothing but love for the team, players, coaches, and the organization along with love for the city that the team represents. a diehard fan, to me, is me. someone who has complete and utter faith in the one big love in his life...sports. but with that loves comes the heartache of losing and the naysayers, trash talkers, and haters in your ear at all times. it doesn't matter what they say, "aww man! i still love my team." is the general reply. because you know that having love in your team is having faith in something you can't control.

bandwagoners, people who have lost their way with the team they grew up watching. people who fell out of the good graces of their father's team and found a home and a new love with a new franchise but for all the wrong reasons. people who love you when you are hot and drop you when you are not. bandwagoners are people who are indecisive and they just want to fit in with everyone else. conform to the norm and glide through lie not ever blazin' any trails of their own or sticking by their own guns. bandwagoners are people who don't know the meaning of the word diehard.

wow! i can't believe i just said that and meant it AND i think i should put that in my memoirs. that sounded like Shakespeare meets Jesus! God, i can't even make eye contact with me right now! HA! kidding!

I feel bad for fans like Oakland and Detroit, man it got to be real hard to be diehard fans of teams like that loll. But just like Steelers, when the Steelers first came into the league they were horrible until the seventies.

Hammer67
I hate to bring it up, no I don't I love it. Bandwagon fan = Chargers fans, e.g. the Chargers message board.

Hardcore fans = Steelers fans, e.g. watch a Steelers game at the opposing teams stadium and look at the terrible towels.

Oh and what Polumalo43 said!!!

There are hardcore fans for every team as well as bandwagon. I can tell you, as someone who was around here before the SB in 05 that a LOT of people joined right after and haven't posted since. That is suspect.

I would agree with Polumalu43's assessment. Some fans, like my grandfather and uncles, were fans before the 70's Super Bowls, and stayed loyal through the lean 80's. Other people just get excited when they are in the playoffs.

Polamalu43
A dude you should check out my myspace, i think you'll love it lol.

My myspace url is

baller4life10590

Nice bro!! :tt02:

Polamalu43
01-09-2009, 01:36 PM
I feel bad for fans like Oakland and Detroit, man it got to be real hard to be diehard fans of teams like that loll. But just like Steelers, when the Steelers first came into the league they were horrible until the seventies.

See now them fans there should be bandwagon hahah JK. well atleast oakland has had some great seasons unlike the lions

Hines4ever
01-09-2009, 01:40 PM

:applaudit: Bravo....now that is the deep kind of insight I thought i'd get from a die hard steeler fan....You Rock!!!!!!

SteelCityKing
01-09-2009, 01:41 PM
See now them fans there should be bandwagon hahah JK. well atleast oakland has had some great season unlike the lions

Oakland had al the potential to be WAY better than what they were this season. Detroit will always be caught in a web of despair. it sucks to sit back and watch teams fall into obscurity. what happened to the 49ers, Cheifs, and Cleveland? granted, they;ve always sucked in our eyes...but now they're nowhere near being contenders anymore.

it's funny how bitter their fans are and they always have some bullshit excuse about how their team is horrible. i love it. =)

Polamalu43
01-09-2009, 01:45 PM
Oakland had al the potential to be WAY better than what they were this season. Detroit will always be caught in a web of despair. it sucks to sit back and watch teams fall into obscurity. what happened to the 49ers, Cheifs, and Cleveland? granted, they;ve always sucked in our eyes...but now they're nowhere near being contenders anymore.

it's funny how bitter their fans are and they always have some bullshit excuse about how their team is horrible. i love it. =)

The only way i see the Raiders being good again is, till davis is gone really. since i live here in LA and the raiders were here for years. ive heard that when they moved back to oakland they did some kind of witchcraft on them , to never win a SB again or something like that. And the way there seasons have been going im starting to believe it. :toofunny:

And the 49ers boy i think they are in more trouble then the raiders are haha.

Hammer67
01-09-2009, 01:46 PM
See now them fans there should be bandwagon hahah JK. well atleast oakland has had some great seasons unlike the lions

I know quite a few diehard Lions fans. And let me tell you, nothing says diehard fan like a Lions season ticket holder!!!

Polamalu43
01-09-2009, 01:48 PM
I know quite a few diehard Lions fans. And let me tell you, nothing says diehard fan like a Lions season ticket holder!!!

that is so true. man i would be soooo misearable to be a lions fan, waking up every sunday morning already knowing we lost he game before it even starts! :toofunny:

SteelCityKing
01-09-2009, 01:49 PM
The only way i see the Raiders being good again is, till davis is gone really. since i live here in LA and the raiders were here for years. ive heard that when they moved back to oakland they did some kind of witchcraft on them , to never win a SB again or something like that. And the way there seasons have been going im starting to believe it. :toofunny:

And the 49ers boy i think they are in more trouble then the raiders are haha.

the truth of that is, even though in western Pennsylvania where i live, i still know a dozen 49er fans AND a dozen Raiders fans. their nations are still strong. it's just a bummer that their franchises aren't strong at all.

my buddy's excuse for the Raiders, "JaMarcus Russell is a piece of shit overrated QB and they need to get back to basics." true, but that is the excuse of a diehard. he was born a Raiders fan and i give him crazy respect for that. well, i DID until he said he LIKES the Steelers, he just doesn't like the fans. we get too "bandwagon-ish!" haha!

The_WARDen
01-09-2009, 01:55 PM
if anyone still cares about the Pirates, now THEY would be die hard fans!

Polamalu43
01-09-2009, 01:57 PM
the truth of that is, even though in western Pennsylvania where i live, i still know a dozen 49er fans AND a dozen Raiders fans. their nations are still strong. it's just a bummer that their franchises aren't strong at all.

my buddy's excuse for the Raiders, "JaMarcus Russell is a piece of shit overrated QB and they need to get back to basics." true, but that is the excuse of a diehard. he was born a Raiders fan and i give him crazy respect for that. well, i DID until he said he LIKES the Steelers, he just doesn't like the fans. we get too "bandwagon-ish!" haha!

I don't even know what to think of JR nomore. out of college i thought the guy was just gonna be a beast in the NFL. I think part of there problem is the OL and too many coaching changes.

the 49ers are just a big mess, up and down the franchise.. there team made a badmove by drafting alex smith, which kinda reminds me of JR. 1 thing they have done good was giving an extension to mike Singletary, and getting rid of mike martz!

steelwall
01-09-2009, 02:03 PM
Yeah I think the definition is quite simple.

Bandwagoners= fairweather fans, fans with little to basic, real knowledge of the team. Fans who believe if the team is not winning, or padding their FF stats then fire everyone, or jump ship.

Die hard fan= a person with a genuine knowledge of the team and its players. A person that can scrutinize a player or a game but only see the bad things as areas of improvement. Last and certainly not least.....remains a fan even when the team looses, or seems to perform poorly.

SteelCityKing
01-09-2009, 02:04 PM
I don't even know what to think of JR nomore. out of college i thought the guy was just gonna be a beast in the NFL. I think part of there problem is the OL and too many coaching changes.

the 49ers are just a big mess, up and down the franchise.. there team made a badmove by drafting alex smith, which kinda reminds me of JR. 1 thing they have done good was giving an extension to mike Singletary, and getting rid of mike martz!

it's funny, the 49ers were a forced to be reckoned with. i got behind them and i liked them. now i can't name 3 players on their team. i know the coache only beause he makes the news for dropping his britches in the locker room. ol' Samurai Mike!? WTF!? haha!

sadly, i feel bad for Cleveland being inthe position they're in. i mean, what ever happend to that tough rivalry? it's soft and it's almost not even funny anymore. i know alot of Browns fans who spit out excuses like it's going out of style.

i guess we'd do the same if we sucked balls like they do. haha!

SteelCityKing
01-09-2009, 02:06 PM

who has two thumbs and love the Buccos!? :thumbsup: THIS GUY!!! haha!

i don't care how much they suck. they are a shitty franchise in the greatest city with the most rabid fanbase. plus, the tickets are cheap, the park is beautiful, and i have a new found love for baseball over the last 2 or 3 years. i am content with their mediocrity. =)

i can't back out on loving them NOW...i have their logo tattooed on me. haha!

KeiselPower99
01-09-2009, 02:13 PM
IMO...

Couldnt have said it better myself. Here is another example...When you actually took up for Kordell Stewart and Tommy Maddox. That takes a diehard fan to do.

joeyssteelcurtain
01-09-2009, 02:16 PM
I told my wife last night that even if the steelers were 0-15 i would spend the money and go to the game

The_WARDen
01-09-2009, 02:16 PM
Couldnt have said it better myself. Here is another example...When you actually took up for Kordell Stewart and Tommy Maddox. That takes a diehard fan to do.

I had a Kordell jersey...actually, it was an O'Donnell jersey that was converted by switching the name and the 4 to a 0.

It met an unfortunate fate after the 2001 AFCCG....

The_WARDen
01-09-2009, 02:18 PM
who has two thumbs and love the Buccos!? :thumbsup: THIS GUY!!! haha!

i don't care how much they suck. they are a shitty franchise in the greatest city with the most rabid fanbase. plus, the tickets are cheap, the park is beautiful, and i have a new found love for baseball over the last 2 or 3 years. i am content with their mediocrity. =)

i can't back out on loving them NOW...i have their logo tattooed on me. haha!

I think mediocrity would actually be a step up for them... I refer to them as the Quad A farm system team to MLB.

Polamalu43
01-09-2009, 02:19 PM
it's funny, the 49ers were a forced to be reckoned with. i got behind them and i liked them. now i can't name 3 players on their team. i know the coache only beause he makes the news for dropping his britches in the locker room. ol' Samurai Mike!? WTF!? haha!

sadly, i feel bad for Cleveland being inthe position they're in. i mean, what ever happend to that tough rivalry? it's soft and it's almost not even funny anymore. i know alot of Browns fans who spit out excuses like it's going out of style.

i guess we'd do the same if we sucked balls like they do. haha!

LOL mike is an awesome coach. i love coaches with fire like mike and Bill when he was here, they take no BS from no player.

Cleveland will always be cleveland regardless of who there coach is. hiring mangini was a terrible move by the browns. there are more proven coaches out there then mangini , like shanahan , cowher , the ravens mascot himself " Brain Billick " :toofunny:

But the rivalry in our division is boring now. i remember a few years back when the bengals were good and we would play them. like the time when Joey porter told chad , something like "i hope your mom told you who you real dad is" :toofunny:

KeiselPower99
01-09-2009, 02:20 PM
I had a Kordell jersey...actually, it was an O'Donnell jersey that was converted by switching the name and the 4 to a 0.

It met an unfortunate fate after the 2001 AFCCG....

I had a Kordell jersey also. Bought back in 97 and its still one of my favorite jerseys just wish I could take Kordells name off and put Holmes on it

steelwall
01-09-2009, 02:21 PM
I had a Kordell jersey also. Bought back in 97 and its still one of my favorite jerseys just wish I could take Kordells name off and put Holmes on it

Got a Kordell Jersey too, but now it's too small to wear........dang!:banging::chuckle:

SteelCityKing
01-09-2009, 02:22 PM
I told my wife last night that even if the steelers were 0-15 i would spend the money and go to the game

atta boy. that's what we all like to hear. and do you know WHY you would still pay after an 0-15 (or 16) record? because you love your team and you don't care about anything else at the moment. THAT is a diehard fella...way to go. =)

Polamalu43
01-09-2009, 02:22 PM

You can . i know this website that you send in your jersey and they change the name plate on it etc.. i think for around $35-40..

SteelCityKing
01-09-2009, 02:23 PM
Got a Kordell Jersey too, but now it's too small to wear........dang!:banging::chuckle:

the puppy will wear it. =)

Polamalu43
01-09-2009, 02:23 PM

Your not missing out much on it... :laughing:

Texasteel
01-09-2009, 02:26 PM
I guess you could call me both. I got on this wagon in 73 when I got back from 3 years over seas. Thing is I never got off in all these years.

stlrz fan
01-09-2009, 02:32 PM
You haven't seen bandwagon until you visit DC. I wear my Steeler gear year round and have to listen to their fans yap. Every August Skins are the greatest team Earth and by November they are hated. Sure Steelers have some bandwagon fans but until you see how fans are in other cities especially this town you shouldn't worry. These people are flat turncoats. By the way you can't believe how bad it sucks to drive around and see Raven flags on cars. That being said, there are awesome Steeler fans in Northern Virginia.

The_WARDen
01-09-2009, 02:35 PM

on the flip side of that, I believe that the team owes it to their fans to not put a garbage product on the field. What Detroit is doing to their fans in criminal...

SteelCityKing
01-09-2009, 02:35 PM
LOL mike is an awesome coach. i love coaches with fire like mike and Bill when he was here, they take no BS from no player.

Cleveland will always be cleveland regardless of who there coach is. hiring mangini was a terrible move by the browns. there are more proven coaches out there then mangini , like shanahan , cowher , the ravens mascot himself " Brain Billick " :toofunny:

But the rivalry in our division is boring now. i remember a few years back when the bengals were good and we would play them. like the time when Joey porter told chad , something like "i hope your mom told you who you real dad is" :toofunny:

YEAH! i remember that. that was WAY TOO funny! haha!

i love our rivalry. especially when you have friends who love teams within the rivalry. it makes it all that much more interesting. i respect them for sticking by their teams..,aslong as they are okay with me dipping my weiner in their beer when they aren't looking! =)

Polamalu43
01-09-2009, 02:40 PM
YEAH! i remember that. that was WAY TOO funny! haha!

i love our rivalry. especially when you have friends who love teams within the rivalry. it makes it all that much more interesting. i respect them for sticking by their teams..,aslong as they are okay with me dipping my weiner in their beer when they aren't looking! =)

That part there is no fun for me , since most of my friends are cowboys - radiers- or niner fans. Man i miss the trash talkin from Joey . :popcorn:

LambertIsGod58
01-09-2009, 02:40 PM

Deep and well said.....it's about the team. Live and die by em'.

SteelCityKing
01-09-2009, 02:44 PM
That part there is no fun for me , since most of my friends are cowboys - radiers- or niner fans. Man i miss the trash talkin from Joey . :popcorn:

i miss Porter period. he was an icon and great player...too bad his ass bullet catching trick was the start of his mouth running rash talking bullshit that Tomlin wasn't a fan of. but, you if you want to make an omelet you gotta break some eggs. =)

i LOVE busting my friends chops for loving shitty teams. it's a new sport all in it's own! haha!

SteelCityKing
01-09-2009, 02:46 PM
Deep and well said.....it's about the team. Live and die by em'.

thanks.

that's probably the coolest thing i've ever said since i time i threatened to beat the living purple colored shit out of a Ravens fan last season! haha! -- i got kicked out of M&T Stadium last year for that one. =)

Polamalu43
01-09-2009, 02:48 PM
i miss Porter period. he was an icon and great player...too bad his ass bullet catching trick was the start of his mouth running rash talking bullshit that Tomlin wasn't a fan of. but, you if you want to make an omelet you gotta break some eggs. =)

i LOVE busting my friends chops for loving shitty teams. it's a new sport all in it's own! haha!

:toofunny:

That's what i do to my fellow friends who are Raider fans. sometimes they don't even watch the games nomore and i ask them why and they say " what for? we already know they lost " :laughing: and these dudes are die-hard fans with raider Tatts etc.

SteelCityKing
01-09-2009, 02:52 PM
:toofunny:

That's what i do to my fellow friends who are Raider fans. sometimes they don't even watch the games nomore and i ask them why and they say " what for? we already know they lost " :laughing: and these dudes are die-hard fans with raider Tatts etc.

i've got a Pirates tat...i don't regret it at all. =)

i like asking my Browns fan friends, "hey, are you guys still winning the division this year? i know you were saying that LAST year!" they hate me for it...but i HAVE to do it. haha!

Steel4eva
01-09-2009, 03:04 PM
Diehard= stick with the team through the good and the bad(which is rare :) and does NOT miss any of the games. If you do, it has to be a legitimate reason. A steeler tattoo also works here.

Bangwagon= only watches the Steelers when they "can". Does not stick with them through the bad times( i know, its rare).

Fordy
01-09-2009, 03:15 PM
who cares about bandwagon fans, they can NEVER enjoy how special it is to win unless they suffer thru losing times and periods of great dissapointment. Some of my fav players are still my fav players and they never were part of a winning team or much success for that matter. Guys like Louis Lipps, Greg LLoyd, Barry Foster etc..And how sweet was it to see Cowher finally win the big game after being labeled as a can never win the big one type guy. Bandwagon fans could never experience the joy of what it felt like to see him and us finally win the big game. Bandwagon fans are annoying but also they are irrelevent as well.

SteelCityKing
01-09-2009, 03:24 PM
who cares about bandwagon fans, they can NEVER enjoy how special it is to win unless they suffer thru losing times and periods of great dissapointment. Some of my fav players are still my fav players and they never were part of a winning team or much success for that matter. Guys like Louis Lipps, Greg LLoyd, Barry Foster etc..And how sweet was it to see Cowher finally win the big game after being labeled as a can never win the big one type guy. Bandwagon fans could never experience the joy of what it felt like to see him and us finally win the big game. Bandwagon fans are annoying but also they are irrelevent as well.

irrelevant? true. but do they not just piss you off beyond belief!? haha!

steelreserve
01-09-2009, 03:38 PM
IMO...

I think it depends on what you mean by "stops rooting for their team." When a team comes into the season hopelessly broken, finishes 2-14 and perennially contends for league records like "most points allowed in a season" or "fewest touchdowns", it's not even fun to watch because it's just bad football. So if you're not going all-out in support of that, I can't blame you.

Now, being passive about it when your team's in a decade-long nosedive is a lot different from finding another team to root for, like the real bandwagon fans. Or giving up when your team is 7-9 and treating it like they're completely non-competitive. Thankfully, the Steelers haven't really had a hopeless stretch like that for 40 years or so.

SteelCityKing
01-09-2009, 03:43 PM
I think it depends on what you mean by "stops rooting for their team." When a team comes into the season hopelessly broken, finishes 2-14 and perennially contends for league records like "most points allowed in a season" or "fewest touchdowns", it's not even fun to watch because it's just bad football. So if you're not going all-out in support of that, I can't blame you.

Now, being passive about it when your team's in a decade-long nosedive is a lot different from finding another team to root for, like the real bandwagon fans. Or giving up when your team is 7-9 and treating it like they're completely non-competitive. Thankfully, the Steelers haven't really had a hopeless stretch like that for 40 years or so.

agreed. we really have nothing to bitch and complain about. the Steelers are a super solid franchise and we have alot of great people behind the scenes and on the field. but those organizations out there losing fans everyday...while losing money...and coaches losing their jobs. that's ALL they can do is lose. -- i can get why people would be frustrated about want to venture into finding love in other teams. but i, personally can't do that. i was BORN in Pittsburgh and it's a birthright to me to love the team that i love because i see no other way, bro. i love the city and i love the sports teams that represent the city. to me, Pittsburgh is even more than the Steelers and Pirates and Penguins...it's a town that reminds me of honor in a dollar and it teaches you respect, hardwork, and it's definitely a fun loving town with deeo roots. you can't go wrong with that.

fairweathers and bandwagoners bother me, but if you can't get behind what you love and want to be a part of...heel it. we've got no time for you anways. there is a Steeler fan born every minute...the more the merrier. =)

i know i quoted YOU...but that wasn't directed towards YOU! it was a general statement. haha! sorry!

The_WARDen
01-09-2009, 03:43 PM
Now, this guy would qualify as die hard...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Lions-fan-gets-a-reminder-of-0-16-tattooed-on-hi?urn=nfl,133077

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
01-09-2009, 03:48 PM
if the steelers were 0-16 this year like the lions were you would still be on this forum talking about the Steelers and discussing their future.......Not putting them down every chance you have or going to find another team to root for...

Also....liking a team just because they are winning at the current moment

SteelCityKing
01-09-2009, 03:50 PM
if the steelers were 0-16 this year like the lions were you would still be on this forum talking about the Steelers and discussing their future.......Not putting them down every chance you have or going to find another team to root for...

Also....liking a team just because they are winning at the current moment

of course we'd all be talking Steelers change and future and everything in between. would we stop loving them and wear bags on our heads to the games in shame!? HELL NO! we love our bos through and through and that's what makes us the greatest sports nation in the WORLD baby! i can get behind that one.

my brother is a bandwagoner...none of you guys would like him. hell, i barely do! haha!

Give It To Abercrombie
01-09-2009, 03:53 PM
Not sure there is a way to have a clear-cut definition. I myself became a fan when our quarterbacks nickname was 'BouncePass'. My thanks to Jay Schroeder for always coming in last in the quarterback ranking in the Burlington Free Press every week so I didn't have to see PIT next to the worst guy, only the second worst. :tt:

I DO however think there is a test to determine if you are speaking to a hardcore or bandwagon jumping fan. "Name me all five starting offensive linemen." Don't need to be diehard to answer that, obviously, but it will sure as hell weed out the big mouths. Did that to a guy at work who was a "lifelong Giants fan" a few weeks ago. Asked him to name three. He came up with one and a guy who retired like two years ago. :thumbsup:

SteelCityKing
01-09-2009, 03:53 PM

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Lions-fan-gets-a-reminder-of-0-16-tattooed-on-hi?urn=nfl,133077

WOW! that IS diehard! haha!

"the bandwagon is more like a tricycle!" haha! good one dude.

i've seen more Steeler devotion in ink though. i work at a tattoo shop. this time of year, we see more and more Steeler ink.

Fordy
01-09-2009, 03:57 PM
irrelevant? true. but do they not just piss you off beyond belief!? haha!

yeah u right, they are kind of in the way and take up space also.:mallet:

Fordy
01-09-2009, 03:58 PM

i've seen more Steeler devotion in ink though. i work at a tattoo shop. this time of year, we see more and more Steeler ink.

im dying to get a steeler tat. I have several others but i want my 1st steeler one. I was thinking of a hines ward caricature or portrait. Have u ever seen one of them done? any player that is not just Hines.

Fire Haley
01-09-2009, 04:01 PM
I had a Kordell jersey....

HA

I still have a Tommy Maddox jersey - I use it to do yard work - it's still comfy.

xfl2001fan
01-09-2009, 04:16 PM
Yeah I think the definition is quite simple.

Bandwagoners= fairweather fans, fans with little to basic, real knowledge of the team. Fans who believe if the team is not winning, or padding their FF stats then fire everyone, or jump ship.

Die hard fan= a person with a genuine knowledge of the team and its players. A person that can scrutinize a player or a game but only see the bad things as areas of improvement. Last and certainly not least.....remains a fan even when the team looses, or seems to perform poorly.

I have a minor point of contention. Most of my family root for all Cleveland teams. We don't care who they are playing, they are our teams and therefor they must be cheered on. However, most of my family couldn't tell you who the Browns drafted last year. They don't have the time or inclination to follow every nuance of the team. Half the time, they wait for me to come visit or call to get my take on things. My mom knows we hired a new coach, she knows that he used to be a ball boy for Cleveland back in the day...and she knows he was recently fired as the HC of another team. But she doesn't know the he was once an assistant under Belicheat before he went to the Jets or that he was a key component in the whole Spygate thing.

She's still a diehard Browns fan though. Regardless of who is on the team, she cheers for them. Everyone else can kiss her butt for all she cares. She hates the Steelers. She hates their coaches (to include The Chin). She hates Baltimore and everything and anything related to Modell. She was hoping Bernie Kosar would come coach for us...even if it was as an OC or QB coach.

Her knowledge isn't much in regards to all the rules, players, coaches, etc...but her faith (the real factor in fanhood) never wavers.

Danger DANJ
01-09-2009, 05:00 PM
I've got the Steel logo on my right forearm and if I show up to work the day after a loss not wearing Steeler gear, I always get asked why I'm not wearing anything and they thought I was a die hard fan... Then I always remind them of my tattoo and that I'm always wearing something to represent!

SteelCityKing
01-09-2009, 05:52 PM
THIS is diehard! =)

http://www.johnnyroadtrip.com/tailgating/pictures/pittsburghtatoocloseup.jpg

JanBr7
01-09-2009, 05:53 PM
My 2 cents.....just because I want all you guys to look at my SIG...ha-ha...

Seriously...A diehard fan always supports their team. Good or bad, win or lose. We just move on to next year if things don't go our way.

A Bandwagoner waits until good stuff happens and then says "Yeh, I've been a ______ fan all my life." They tend to root for the team that has the best chance of 'going all the way.' or what have you.

SteelCityKing
01-09-2009, 05:57 PM
My 2 cents.....just because I want all you guys to look at my SIG...ha-ha...

Seriously...A diehard fan always supports their team. Good or bad, win or lose. We just move on to next year if things don't go our way.

A Bandwagoner waits until good stuff happens and then says "Yeh, I've been a ______ fan all my life." They tend to root for the team that has the best chance of 'going all the way.' or what have you.

you know what jacks me off the most about that shit, when the Giants beat the Patriots last year in the Super Bowl, there was an outbreak of Giants fans and people saying "i knew they were going to win!" i kept thinking, "lying bandwagoners!" i can't get my head around that. it's like, you just want to be cool for your friends and other strangers by faking that you've been rooting for the winningest team all along. it's bullshit and it drives me nuts...

....THAT...and the fact the the year the Steelers beat the Seahawks in XL, there were about a dozen peple walking around with Shaun Alexander jerseys. i wanted to throw those jerseys off a bridge...but i might not take it off of them first, na'mean? haha!

HometownGal
01-09-2009, 06:08 PM
When you actually took up for Kordell Stewart and Tommy Maddox. That takes a diehard fan to do

And when you have no appreciation for either of these men after what both of them contributed to the Steelers (YES THEY DID) - I consider you a FWF. Not you, per se, but I'm just sayin'.

Polamalu43
01-09-2009, 06:09 PM
THIS is diehard! =)

http://www.johnnyroadtrip.com/tailgating/pictures/pittsburghtatoocloseup.jpg

Now thats dedication!! :tt02:

PisnNapalm
01-09-2009, 06:13 PM
And when you have no appreciation for either of these men after what both of them contributed to the Steelers (YES THEY DID) - I consider you a FWF. Not you, per se, but I'm just sayin'.

I own a Kordell jersey. That counts right?

morgster1031
01-09-2009, 06:15 PM
I'd think if your joining a Steelers fan site that you are a pretty dedicated fan. But the only time I hear anything about bandwagon is when somebody doesn't like something a person said and calls them a bandwagon jumper. I think if you are a diehard fan you can criticize the team.

deminutah
01-09-2009, 06:21 PM
Great question. I was a fan of the Steelers ever since the 70's and even when Bubby Brister was QB. On the flip side, my wife was born and raised in SF and has had to watch the steep decline of the Niners and cries every time they lose, but keeps on watching.

steelreserve
01-09-2009, 06:51 PM
Great question. I was a fan of the Steelers ever since the 70's and even when Bubby Brister was QB. On the flip side, my wife was born and raised in SF and has had to watch the steep decline of the Niners and cries every time they lose, but keeps on watching.

Heh, that's the example I would've used. I was born in Pittsburgh and have always watched every game I've had the chance to. Then we moved to SF in 1982 when I was still pretty young, and that was fun to watch for a long time too.

Anyway, in addition to a Niners fan, I've also been an A's fan and a Warriors fan for most of my life, and they've all had some pretty abysmal stretches lately. My experience is that when a team is in a multi-year tailspin like that, you don't abandon them and cheer for someone else (unless you're a bandwagoner), but you really can't get too passionate about them because reality smacks you in the face hard and often. Oh, I'd try to watch for a while, but when it became obvious that the team was going to go 2-14, and a BAD 2-14 at that, there really wasn't much to cheer for, and watching bad, hopeless football isn't very much fun.

I guess this is really directed at the people who say "oh, you have to stick with the team through good and bad." Well, yes, I get that -- and I still consider them "my team." I'm not going to start rooting for someone else. But expecting people to remain fired up for long in that situation isn't too realistic.

BehindSteelCurtain
01-09-2009, 06:58 PM
Bandwagon= people who were saying that FWP, Ben, and Arians suck when the offense wasn't producing.

Die Hard= person that knows that their team may not win every game but they support them just as hard every game.

BehindSteelCurtain
01-09-2009, 07:00 PM
I own a Kordell jersey. That counts right?

Haha I have one too. Not sure why I still have it. Its in the very back of my closet. Now I wear my Timmons jersey.

HometownGal
01-09-2009, 07:04 PM
I'd think if your joining a Steelers fan site that you are a pretty dedicated fan. But the only time I hear anything about bandwagon is when somebody doesn't like something a person said and calls them a bandwagon jumper. I think if you are a diehard fan you can criticize the team.

Not to be disrespectful, but how so? Just because a person joins a Steelers site doesn't make him/her a "dedicated fan". All bandwagoners and FWF's will tell you they are "dedicated", but when the going gets tough, they get going. Actually, most of 'em make it pretty easy to pick them out and stand out like sore thumbs.

T.Richardson
01-09-2009, 07:10 PM

A Bucco fan right here! :wave:

TeeJay
01-09-2009, 07:19 PM
It is a treasonable offense to change teams

Win or lose, a Steeler is a Steeler for life, not just a SuperBowl (unless you're one of those 'But I've always liked the *insert jackass name here*, they've always been my second team...perhaps I'll give them a go next year'........turds).

The End.

GutterflowerSteel
01-09-2009, 07:38 PM

GUILTY :tt02:

I didn't even become a football fan until the 90s. I learned about the game itself by watching the Steelers play. My Dad was a Steelers fan when I was a kid, so I naturally gravitated to them (even though I was born in NY and live amongst a pack of Raisins and Redskins fans). I couldn't even imagine being a fan of any other team but our Steelers :heart:

How can people just jump ship and root for a different team? I don't get that at all. That's like suddenly deciding you don't love one of your kids anymore lol

TeeJay
01-09-2009, 07:59 PM
That's like suddenly deciding you don't love one of your kids anymore lol

That's understandable.........but changing Teams.......that's just unforgiveable!! :wink02:

RoethlisBURGHer
01-09-2009, 08:05 PM
Actually, there are three types of fans.

Diehard: They stick with thier team no matter what. Team does great? It's smooth sailing. Team has a rough patch or is just plain aweful all the time...you stick with them.

Fair Weather: These are the fans that only show thier colors when the team is doing well. But if the team stinks, they claim to have no loyalties to any team.

Bandwagon: These are fans that jump on a team when it's hot, but that team isn't thier hometown or nearest team. These people can become diehards, but many of them jump from team to team whenever a new team gets good and the team they were rooting for goes bad. The most dispicable type of fan, IMHO.

KeiselPower99
01-09-2009, 08:18 PM

Im sure there is alot of fans that appreciate what Tommy and Kordell brought to the team in there years here. Hell Ill go even farther what about Mike Tomczak , Kent Graham Jim Miller and Neil O Donnell?? All these men strapped on the black n gold and put it all on the line for us.

PisnNapalm
01-09-2009, 08:38 PM
Haha I have one too. Not sure why I still have it. Its in the very back of my closet. Now I wear my Timmons jersey.

I bought myself a Heath Miller 3rd jersey just before Christmas as a treat for myself. They were "on sale" at the Steelers website. Buy a premiere jersey and get $50 in gift cards free. :)

http://news.steelers.com/catalog/product/91391/

I love it!:tt:

hindes204
01-09-2009, 08:40 PM
growing up in pittsburgh, its hard not to be a fan...its more like a way of life rather than just a game. i can remember my dad having people over every sunday to watch the game, these guys were die hard fans, so i think it was easy for me to be a fan, its all i ever knew, i always looked forward to watching the game with the tv down and cope turned way up...i miss watching the game in pittsburgh, even if i was just watching it on tv there, i was still there in pittsburgh watching it on tv....i think they should build a huge air force base in pittsburgh, then maybe i would get the chance to relive my childhood

HometownGal
01-09-2009, 08:43 PM
Im sure there is alot of fans that appreciate what Tommy and Kordell brought to the team in there years here. Hell Ill go even farther what about Mike Tomczak , Kent Graham Jim Miller and Neil O Donnell?? All these men strapped on the black n gold and put it all on the line for us.

You sure wouldn't know it by some of the ignorant comments around here about Stewart and particularly - Maddox and O'Donnell.

Though there have been a couple of players in the past who admittedly I have not cared for, I appreciate their contributions to the team while they wore the black 'n gold.

hindes204
01-09-2009, 08:49 PM
You sure wouldn't know it by some of the ignorant comments around here about Stewart and particularly - Maddox and O'Donnell.

Though there have been a couple of players in the past who admittedly I have not cared for, I appreciate their contributions to the team while they wore the black 'n gold.

i agree, there have been a few players on the team that i didnt care for, i thought their attitudes were all wrong...however, i still praised them when they helped the team win, and i never rooted against them regardless of how i felt about the individual, its about the team as a whole

TeeJay
01-09-2009, 09:00 PM
Nothing wrong with Maddox.......or for that matter Kordell!

They did their bit.

I liked Maddox. What you saw is what you got. Not an uber player, but a reliable one. Stewart was similar, just he seemed more uptight.

Now O'Donnell on the other hand................(sorry HTG!!)

SteelCityMom
01-09-2009, 09:26 PM

Haha so true....even Mark Malone had his moments, though some of the only memories I have of him are from my Dad cursing before his name lol.

IMO O'Donnell was pretty good in his day, he helped lead this team to a SB, but unfortunately it's only his performance there that most remember.

I was always more critical of Maddox, but I blame most of his downfall on Cowher, Maddox had one great season and then Cowher figured it was fine to just let him go out there and sling it every which way he could, and continued to let him even when it was apparently a bad choice.

Kordell's career was ruined by bad OC and QB coaching as far as I'm concerned, they tried to turn him into something he wasn't. Instead of coaching up to his abilities, they tried to make him Montana overnight.

Lukebok5150
01-09-2009, 09:45 PM
Die hards vs. Bandwagons?
I consider a die hard Steeler fan as one who breathes, eats, sleeps, and bleeds the Black-n-Gold. There is nothing that can make him/her turn their back on their beloved Steelers no matter what happens, good or bad. They strive to own every piece of merchandise or memorabilia that bears the Steelers logo. They count the days until September, to relish another season to support their Steelers. I know a lot of fans that root for other teams but believe me there is no greater sense of brotherhood like it is with all of us in Steeler Nation

Bandwagons are just what many people would say, tag-alongs. They have no sense whatsoever of being faithful to just one team. It's always a different team in a different season, usually the team that is winning. I believe that they aren't really fans at all.

nojobny
01-09-2009, 09:48 PM
my definition of a diehard fan is what happens to me nearly every day when some guy tries to talk $hit about the Steelers to me.

Depending how I feel, I've either eaten his lunch or schooled his a$$ into the ground. Sometimes it does turn into a good football conversation which is cool.

I really think guys think 'girls' can't be serious about football so they try to test us. Little do they know.

The Duke
01-09-2009, 09:53 PM
Bandwagoners are eggheads :chuckle:

KeiselPower99
01-09-2009, 10:08 PM
Haha so true....even Mark Malone had his moments, though some of the only memories I have of him are from my Dad cursing before his name lol.

IMO O'Donnell was pretty good in his day, he helped lead this team to a SB, but unfortunately it's only his performance there that most remember.

I was always more critical of Maddox, but I blame most of his downfall on Cowher, Maddox had one great season and then Cowher figured it was fine to just let him go out there and sling it every which way he could, and continued to let him even when it was apparently a bad choice.

Kordell's career was ruined by bad OC and QB coaching as far as I'm concerned, they tried to turn him into something he wasn't. Instead of coaching up to his abilities, they tried to make him Montana overnight.

Great points. Ive said that about Kordell for years. When he was getting started as our qb he went through 3 OCs in 4 years?? I know there was Ray Sherman and Kevin Gilbride. Anyways Kordell has his moments. The 80 yd run in 96 against Carolina that was amazing.

stillers4me
01-09-2009, 10:31 PM

You so bad.............. :flap:

eafratitpm3
01-09-2009, 11:23 PM
I can't imagine any Steeler fan being a bandwagoner. It's funny how when someone criticizes a player or a part of the team that all you are quick to judge him/her as a bandwagon Steeler fan as opposed to someone just stating the facts. there's no such thing as a "bandwagon" Steeler fan so let's put this thread to rest. Once a Steeler Fan always a Steeler fan. GO STEELERS!!!

BrandonCarr39
01-09-2009, 11:26 PM
I'm not a bandwagoner, however-when you progress over the course of a losing season, it's just NOT fun anymore. If anything, you want to ROOT for somebody.

It's alot like watching a bad movie that has poor character developments...there's just noone to root for.

santoniosbabysmomma
01-09-2009, 11:50 PM
jesus = die hard fan
matt millen = bandwagon

MACH1
01-10-2009, 12:09 AM

Bandwagoners are also texans/bettis/parkerfan. :sofunny:

http://www.edwindecker.com/images/bandwagon_drawing.jpg

ricksteelers55
01-10-2009, 01:07 AM
easy....

bandwagon fans = fans that are rooting for the win

die hard fans = the one that are going to believe in their team even after seasons like the one we had in 03 for example

die hard fans dont have to proove anything though...they know they are die hard fans :p

I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
01-10-2009, 03:10 AM
Die Hard fan= Me

Bandwagon Fan= that one member we have that can't decide which team is actually "their" team... and this guy I work with who is a Cheatriots fan and tried to tell me they have won more superbowls than the Steelers! :toofunny:

Texasteel
01-10-2009, 06:37 AM
Die Hard fan= Me

Bandwagon Fan= that one member we have that can't decide which team is actually "their" team... and this guy I work with who is a Cheatriots fan and tried to tell me they have won more superbowls than the Steelers! :toofunny:

You would think the greatest team ever WOULD have the most SB wins. Oh wait, they do, and their name is.

THE STEELERS

DACEB
01-10-2009, 07:38 AM
I live in N.E. , I know a thing or two about bandwagon fans.

Not sure there is a way to have a clear-cut definition.

I think because there are more 'fan categories'.

Hardcore; The guy in the photo. Their life IS the team.

Diehard; True sports fan, knows the game and is completely loyal to the team. Knows the players, knows the stats and analyzes the team.

Homer; Completely loyal to the team, almost to a fault. Only sees faults in other teams. Not necessarily obsessed with analyzing the team.

Fair weather fan; Not a true sports fan, because they only pay attention when the team does well.

Bandwagon; Worst fan of all, their only concerned with the flavor of the month. Generally not a genuine sports fan.

I DO however think there is a test to determine if you are speaking to a hardcore or bandwagon jumping fan. "Name me all five starting offensive linemen." Don't need to be diehard to answer that, obviously, but it will sure as hell weed out the big mouths.

That's always been my litmus test.

I'm not a bandwagoner, however-when you progress over the course of a losing season, it's just NOT fun anymore. If anything, you want to ROOT for somebody.

I think that also describes a die hard fan. A fan of the sport, they don't just stop watching the sport after their team is out. I would say usually rooting for the underdog, or the team playing the team you hate.

:tt03:

HometownGal
01-10-2009, 08:53 AM

I don't know if I would necessarily blame Maddox's downfall on Cowher. Tommy was never the same after he suffered that near career ending injury in Tennessee - I think it made him terribly gun-shy out there and he simply never recovered from that fear. I have nothing but praise for Maddox overall, as when he was called upon to step in for Kordell and lead the team, he did an outstanding job. Had it not been for Nedney's Academy Award winning performance, who knows - we may have won Ring #5 that season and be working on Ring #7!

Sorry to hijack - back to the topic at hand! :drink:

DACEB
01-10-2009, 08:57 AM
First I'd like to say that Newman and xfl are great fans and solid contributers to this site.

If I can add to this. I believe we're all FOOTBALL FANS first.

I am of Portuguese decent. When I grew up I played football at 7-8 years old in the yard before I watched football. I jumped on the Steeler bandwagon in '76 because a friend of mine's father was a fan. My father was interested in soccer not 'American football'. As the years went on I began to watch more football and play organized football. Also as time went on the rest of my Friends got a favorite team mostly due to their families preference. I was a Steelers fan, my other friends were Cowboys and Miami fans (notice no N.E. fans). So, to some point, we were all bandwagon fans at one point. But the true fan is the football fan at heart, I LOVE FOOTBALL.

Being a huge fan of football and sports, and sportsmanship (lessons learned playing team sports) it's probably no wonder we love and admire such a classy organization.
I described a scenario recently in another thread where the Steelers organization went to crap. If that scenario were to transpire I would find it difficult to continue to root for the team with that type of owner and those types of players.

I'm a DIE HARD STEELER FAN, but I'm a huge football fan first!!

SteelCityMom
01-10-2009, 12:18 PM
I don't know if I would necessarily blame Maddox's downfall on Cowher. Tommy was never the same after he suffered that near career ending injury in Tennessee - I think it made him terribly gun-shy out there and he simply never recovered from that fear. I have nothing but praise for Maddox overall, as when he was called upon to step in for Kordell and lead the team, he did an outstanding job. Had it not been for Nedney's Academy Award winning performance, who knows - we may have won Ring #5 that season and be working on Ring #7!

Yes true, I completely forgot about that injury....that did have a lot to do with his play the next year.

Godfather
01-10-2009, 12:47 PM
IMO...

How do you know the difference? We never have an extended period of suckitude :tt:

warddj86
01-10-2009, 12:59 PM
DIEHARD- someone who liked the steelers even in the 2003 season when they went 6-10

BANDWAGONER- someone who STARTED to like the steelers when they went 15-1 and were favored to win it all in 2004.

HometownGal
01-10-2009, 04:18 PM
DIEHARD- someone who liked the steelers even in the 2003 season when they went 6-10

BANDWAGONER- someone who STARTED to like the steelers when they went 15-1 and were favored to win it all in 2004.

That's about as close a definition of both as there is. :thumbsup:

FWF's: Those who rode the black 'n gold wave in the 70's, abandoned them in the very lean 80's and hopped back on the wave in 2005.

MACH1
01-10-2009, 04:25 PM
That's about as close a definition of both as there is. :thumbsup:

FWF's: Those who rode the black 'n gold wave in the 70's, abandoned them in the very lean 80's and hopped back on the wave in 2005.

The 80's were hard time.
One of the good games for me was in '84 when they were the only team to beat the 49ers. My dad is a niners fan. :screwy:

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
01-10-2009, 04:56 PM

Witnessed that exact same thing happen in my home town. Prior to that I never saw any Steeler things around, and there was a whole mess of Browns/Bucks/Tribe stuff.

When I was in High School back a few years a go in 05, That season there were a lot of folks I saw suddenly dawn Roethlisberger jersey's and Terrible towels tucked into their jerseys, and suddenly were Steeler fans "All their lives". "My Uncle/Aunt/Sister is from there, so I can be a fan" was an excuse I had heard like every five seconds. Others were "Big Ben is from Ohio so I like them and root for them" and "The Browns colors are Ugly".:doh:.

Very, Very pathetic to ask them about "The Steel Curtain" and I'd get a blank look looking back at me, or the time I asked a kid who his favorite defensive player was and he responded "Hines Ward" :doh:. I had the same kid lie to me and say he was from Perry, Ohio (up near cleveland and lake erie), and he said that Steelers fans outnumbered Browns fans and all this junk, a few months later, I met some kids at a Wrestling tourney who were from there and asked if that was true, and they replied "No, What the #### is wrong with you? We're all Browns fans up there"

Those fans really disgust me...And I don't mean that for to apply to all Steeler fans who live in the Buckeye State, I know that there is quite a few of y'all who are A.) Auctually from PA B.) Had their parents raise them to be Steeler fans. I got no problem with that. My problem is with the fan that could not name a single player on the offensive line, but then proceeds to get in my face about how the Browns have never won a Super Bowl and the Steelers have five, all the while wearing a Hines Ward jersey with the price tag still on it from last week.

LetsRock
01-10-2009, 05:20 PM
The Ratbirds have a different definiton. Those tools say anyone who is a fan that has NO connection to the city is considered "bandwagon". Only "homers" are legit.

X-Terminator
01-10-2009, 05:20 PM
What's the definition of a bandwagon fan and a die hard fan? I have a feeling we're going to find out at about 8PM tomorrow night, especially if the Steelers lose.

HometownGal
01-10-2009, 05:24 PM
What's the definition of a bandwagon fan and a die hard fan? I have a feeling we're going to find out at about 8PM tomorrow night, especially if the Steelers lose.

Sad, but very true XT. Even when the Steelers win tomorrow night, the usual "doom and gloomers" will find something - anything - to B & M about. :banging:

nojobny
01-10-2009, 05:25 PM
You can . i know this website that you send in your jersey and they change the name plate on it etc.. i think for around $35-40..

Can you send me that link? Do you think they can squeeze in 3 numbers? I want to do a custom jersey with my seat section number.

(speaking of custom jerseys - the best one I ever saw was at a Yankee game. The name was Steinbrenner and instead of a number it was a dollar sign. Classic)

nojobny
01-10-2009, 05:34 PM

I've toyed with the idea of getting a Steelers tat. I think my husband would lose his $hit if I did.

BlackAndGold4Ever
01-10-2009, 05:53 PM

Yeah I'd say that qualifies as f-ing hardcore, poor Lions fans:chuckle:. A good friend of mine is a hardcore Lions fan, I bust his balls 365 days a year. Living in Jersey I hear many a comment for being as hardcore into the black and gold as I am. "How the f can you love the Steelers when you live 10 minutes away from Giants stadium?" Heres how- Since I was an infant my family (all Steeler fans) dressed me up in Steelers gear and it became a part of me. When I met my fiance she never watched a game in her life Steelers or other. Now she is one of the loudest most passionate people at the bar. When we have kids the tradition will be passed on to them, and then they will pass it to their kids etc. I bleed black and gold and always will

T.Richardson
01-10-2009, 06:56 PM

off-topic. I believe Washington didnt even touch him!

stlrtruck
01-10-2009, 09:19 PM
Bandwagon fans curse, cry, bitch, and moan when the times are tough (i.e. a loss). Real fans recognize the grit and determination of the team regardless of their win/loss record and stand by the 53 men and coaches that wear the black and gold.

Phade
01-10-2009, 09:21 PM
I used to be that fan that loses sleep and is upset for months over loses/end of season..

i just can't be that guy anymore it isn't productive for my life.. i breathe steelers but if they lose i've learned to get over it in a day.. does that make me bandwagon? probably..

stillers4me
01-10-2009, 09:26 PM
I used to be that fan that loses sleep and is upset for months over loses/end of season..

i just can't be that guy anymore it isn't productive for my life.. i breathe steelers but if they lose i've learned to get over it in a day.. does that make me bandwagon? probably..

no, it doesn't. Neither does bitching and moaning about a team you still continue to support. Now if you have jerseys from 3 different teams, then you might be a bandwagon fan. :chuckle:

Stlrs4Life
01-10-2009, 09:30 PM
IMO...

What he said.

X-Terminator
01-10-2009, 09:41 PM

A day? I'm usually over it in about 5 minutes. I love my teams, but sports are nothing more than a fun diversion for me. They don't dominate my every thought. There are things out there far, far more important than winning a football game. That doesn't mean I don't get upset or disappointed when they lose and/or don't play well, or party like it's 1999 (again) when they play well and win. I just keep it real. Doesn't make either of us bandwagon.

PisnNapalm
01-10-2009, 10:09 PM
A diehard fan will curse the name Neil O'Donnell forever. WTF was he thinking when he threw that second pick to Larry Brown??

I might have been able to forgive him but he ditched us and ran for the money with the Jets. *finger* to Neil Freaking O'Donnell.

stlrtruck
01-10-2009, 10:13 PM

The first year of my marriage, my wife use to call me after the game and ask if it was going to be a night of conversation or just me sitting on the couch. Now with a 3 year old, those days are long gone - my daughter doesn't care who won or loss, she just wants to play with her daddy. She's a blessing because it's helped in my relationship with my wife too.

Phade
01-10-2009, 10:39 PM
The first year of my marriage, my wife use to call me after the game and ask if it was going to be a night of conversation or just me sitting on the couch. Now with a 3 year old, those days are long gone - my daughter doesn't care who won or loss, she just wants to play with her daddy. She's a blessing because it's helped in my relationship with my wife too.

:) i'm in the same boat now i have a 1 year old now.. def. can erase a loss from my mind in minutes..

stlrtruck
01-11-2009, 06:56 AM
:) i'm in the same boat now i have a 1 year old now.. def. can erase a loss from my mind in minutes..

Wiat til your baby is about 2 and they are more of aware of you not being home, especially if you build a tight bond with them. The big difference is when they come running around the corner arms wide open yelling, "DAAAADDDDYYYYY!" Makes me think, "What game?"

Justin Otstott
01-11-2009, 10:17 AM
There are hardcore fans for every team as well as bandwagon. I can tell you, as someone who was around here before the SB in 05 that a LOT of people joined right after and haven't posted since. That is suspect.

I would agree with Polumalu43's assessment. Some fans, like my grandfather and uncles, were fans before the 70's Super Bowls, and stayed loyal through the lean 80's. Other people just get excited when they are in the playoffs.

Well I been a member here for years now but I don't have a home pc to post like I want to. I use my blackberry storm now...but been a fan since real young and is in the family.:tt:

VTsteel
01-11-2009, 10:20 AM
A diehard fan wears his colors (jersey, hat etc . . .) to work or the bar regardless of their record.

A bandwagoneer will only show their colors when their team is doing well.

IMO - if you aren't proud enough to wear your colors after a loss . . . you are not diehard.

SteelCityKing
01-11-2009, 10:57 AM
i think my mom is a bandwagoner! haha!

i bought her a Polamalu jersey for Christmas last year and she has yet to take the tags off of it. it kind of pisses me off, but then again, it's a white jersey and she doesn't want to get it dirty. OR she refuses to wear it because she might jinx them! haha!