PDA

View Full Version : Cop Execution Caught on Tape

The Patriot
01-09-2009, 04:16 PM
Have you guys heard about this?!? I just saw it on the news. :jawdrop:

http://www.indybay.org/newsitems/2009/01/06/18559091.php

Suddenly the rumors about LA police sound a lot more believable. I don't care how critical you are of criminals. This is reminiscent of Nazism!

SteelCityKing
01-09-2009, 04:22 PM
OMG! that is the craziest shit i've ever seen! WOW! that's horrible.

...i don't even know what else to say! damn!

NJarhead
01-09-2009, 04:23 PM
Have you guys heard about this?!? I just saw it on the news. :jawdrop:

http://www.indybay.org/newsitems/2009/01/06/18559091.php

Suddenly the rumors about LA police sound a lot more believable. I don't care how critical you are of criminals. This is reminiscent of Nazism!

I haven't seen the news yet, but that cop almost looked surprised that he shot the guy. I guess he died as a result of his wounds later because he was still moving afterwards.

So what exactly is being said?

NJarhead
01-09-2009, 04:27 PM
Found a link: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/article5480713.ece

The Patriot
01-09-2009, 04:30 PM
Found a link: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/article5480713.ece

Some are speculating in defense of the cop that he thought he had reached for his taser, but I find that hard to believe.

Anyway, the guy was unarmed and apparently the city has been rioting.

Hammer67
01-09-2009, 04:32 PM
All I know is I would hate to be a cop in that situation. At any time you could be shot at....have no idea who is around the corner, etc. Plus, every move you make is scrutinized. I am in no way defending this guy as I can't tell what happened based on that video. And I don't think anyone else can, either. But, that would be a stressful job.

Plus...I have to ask, where were the riots when the State Trooper in Carnegie was killed with his own weapon on a normal traffic stop? I guess that anger only goes one way.

NJarhead
01-09-2009, 04:35 PM
Some are speculating in defense of the cop that he thought he had reached for his taser, but I find that hard to believe.

Anyway, the guy was unarmed and apparently the city has been rioting.

Judging by the look on his face alone, I believe him. However, he signed on for that responsibilty and took a life and probably deserves to be punished. It goes with the territory.

Preacher
01-09-2009, 04:41 PM
it has been on the news here for quite some time (I live in the bay area). The family is suing Oakland for millions upon millions of dollars.

Rioting is happening in Oakland, a lot of black on black company crime and property damage is happening, which is a real shame.

Nothing official has been said about the shooting as there is an investigation happening.

IMO, TheWarDen is correct. . .

I'll lay you 20-1 that the cop was reaching for a tazer. The kid on the ground looked like he was struggling a bit, and the cop was going to tazer him into submission. He pulled a gun instead and fired.

What an absolute shame and waste of a life.

MACH1
01-09-2009, 04:41 PM
He should be treated the same way. Cuffed and kicked around then shot face down in the dirt. IMO. But he'll probably get away with it.

SteelCityKing
01-09-2009, 04:48 PM
He should be treated the same way. Cuffed and kicked around then shot face down in the dirt. IMO. But he'll probably get away with it.

he probably will get away with it...unless some new video pops up. video that was taken from a different angle and shows a different side to the story.

i'm disgusted in the fact that we grant cops the rights to protect and serve us and be guardians for the city and things like this happens. whatever this person did who got shot, he was cuffed and stuffed and ready to be taken to the station to be dealt with. i bet when he woke up this morning was wasn't planning on getting shot by a policeman. -- i believe it was an accident...but like previously stated...what a shame that had to happen.

like i always say, "forgive the sinner...not the sin."

The Patriot
01-09-2009, 04:57 PM

He won't get away with it. Had it happened 10 years ago, before people had cellphones, he would still be on the force, but because of this video he won't get away with it.

NJarhead
01-09-2009, 04:59 PM
He won't get away with it. Had it happened 10 years ago, before people had cellphones, he would still be on the force, but because of this video he won't get away with it.

10 years ago? I'm not so sure. Cellphones or not, there were enough witnesses to testify. Maybe 40-50 years ago he get's away with it.

I'll never buy "premeditated" either (as is being said in various articles).

The Patriot
01-09-2009, 05:04 PM
10 years ago? I'm not so sure. Cellphones or not, there were enough witnesses to testify. Maybe 40-50 years ago he get's away with it.

I'll never buy "premeditated" either (as is being said in various articles).

You're right. Now that I look at the officers face, I can tell it was a mistake. I actually kinda feel bad for him now. One life ended and the other will never be the same.

MACH1
01-09-2009, 05:20 PM
Think about it? How hard is it to tell the difference between a tazor and a fricken gun. Really. They feel different, they weigh different. It's not like the guy had to do a quick draw to save his life. I'm not saying he did it intentionally but he should have known it was his gun.

OneForTheToe
01-09-2009, 05:28 PM
A tradgedy all around. That is a very strange video. It doesn't look premeditated to me because the cop seems surprised that he shot the man. Whether that surprise is because he thought he had grabbed a taser or because he panicked is impossible to tell. The reaction of the other cops leads me towards the taser argument. None of the other officers seem to have a look like they are losng the situation. Still, even if it was a mistake, the officer will/should have to answer for what he did.

NJarhead
01-09-2009, 05:32 PM
Think about it? How hard is it to tell the difference between a tazor and a fricken gun. Really. They feel different, they weigh different. It's not like the guy had to do a quick draw to save his life. I'm not saying he did it intentionally but he should have known it was his gun.

I could never judge him for that myself. I've fired my share of guns in various CONTROLLED environments but I've never had to subdue a struggling perp with a crowd of aggitated on-lookers around. Plus, he looked pretty young. He made a terrible mistake and whatever punishment he recieves will never be worse than living with the mistake its self. It's a bad situation all around.

Preacher
01-09-2009, 05:36 PM

The adrenalin pumping, focus on the kid who seemed to be struggling, other kids around, a train full of people screaming-- the doors are open-- who knows if they are going to come out after the cops?

I can start to understand it.

What will NEVER be discussed, is how the kid himself could have avoided all this by simply laying flat and not moving.

I do not remove blame from the police officer. If he cannot tell the difference, he needs to be off the force and IMO, probably tried for manslaughter (most likely involuntary as the surprise will be a big credit to his case).

But as I tell youth in my church, and live myself, if YOU take responsibility for YOURSELF and not put YOURSELF in a situation where SOMEONE ELSE can make a mistake concerning you, then you have nothing to worry about. That is why I ALWAYS say "yes maam, no maam, Yes sir, no sir" to a police officer. I do immediately what they ask, to AVOID that type of situation. If the kid wasn't struggling, there would be no need to pull a tazer, and no chance of the cop getting it wrong.

The cop was wrong-- criminally negligent in the least.

The kid was stupid.

Preacher
01-09-2009, 05:38 PM
A tradgedy all around. That is a very strange video. It doesn't look premeditated to me because the cop seems surprised that he shot the man. Whether that surprise is because he thought he had grabbed a taser or because he panicked is impossible to tell. The reaction of the other cops leads me towards the taser argument. None of the other officers seem to have a look like they are losng the situation. Still, even if it was a mistake, the officer will/should have to answer for what he did.

Absolutely.

NJarhead
01-09-2009, 05:43 PM
The adrenalin pumping, focus on the kid who seemed to be struggling, other kids around, a train full of people screaming-- the doors are open-- who knows if they are going to come out after the cops?

I can start to understand it.

What will NEVER be discussed, is how the kid himself could have avoided all this by simply laying flat and not moving.

I do not remove blame from the police officer. If he cannot tell the difference, he needs to be off the force and IMO, probably tried for manslaughter (most likely involuntary as the surprise will be a big credit to his case).

But as I tell youth in my church, and live myself, if YOU take responsibility for YOURSELF and not put YOURSELF in a situation where SOMEONE ELSE can make a mistake concerning you, then you have nothing to worry about. That is why I ALWAYS say "yes maam, no maam, Yes sir, no sir" to a police officer. I do immediately what they ask, to AVOID that type of situation. If the kid wasn't struggling, there would be no need to pull a tazer, and no chance of the cop getting it wrong.

The cop was wrong-- criminally negligent in the least.

The kid was stupid.

No, it never will. Nor the fact that he was detained for fighting on the train in the first place. Judging by the beginning of the video: the cop walks up, points right to the two of them which means to me that the police had a group of them sit tight while the story was sorted out and witnesses identified them as the persons involved in the fight. They were to be restrained and taken to the police station.
Dude didn't deserve to die, but he wasn't simply "walkin' along, mindin' his own business" either.

Hammer Of The GODS
01-09-2009, 05:50 PM
We will never now if it was an accident or if he just lost his cool. IT WAS NOT PREMEDITATED! The word itself demands that there had to be some earlier planning.

I don't feel sorry for the cop if he knew what he was doing obviously. But if it was indeed an accident then he has my sympathy because there will be consequences.

As for the guy who got shot....... I have no sympathy for him. I'm 36 years old and I've been a lot of places and done a lot of things and I have NEVER been in a cituation where a cop needed to cuff me. AND IF I HAD, I wouldn't resist in ANY WAY!

It's like I tell my son..... EVERY decision has consequences. Some good some bad but there are always consequences. He decided to do something to get cuffed and then he resisted. Sorry but he put himself in that position.

Tragedy? No frickin way!

Tragedy is when that thug that got shot does a driveby and kills a child playing. Some people here are WAY to foregiving.

The Patriot
01-09-2009, 06:52 PM
From now on Cops should keep their tasers in a place where they can never ever possibly mistake it as their gun.

Preacher
01-09-2009, 08:23 PM
Here is the next issue. . .

That family lives in the town I pastor in. According to the news, they have had to leave their home because of death threats. Not just to the man, but towards his wife and even his 1 week old child.

Talk about ignorant.

cubanstogie
01-09-2009, 08:41 PM

pretty hard to tell the difference in the heat of th moment. We are talking Oakland, with all the heckling and crap going on I could see how it would happen. If the guy would have co-operated in the first place none of it would have happened. No premeditation whatsoever. The guy made a mistake, a big one though. He probably saved many lives in the future by doing it, I am sure this guy wasn't an upstanding citizen. People care more about this crap than an innocent victim. It wasn't like this guy was minding his own business I am sure he was far from innocent.

Preacher
01-09-2009, 08:49 PM
pretty hard to tell the difference in the heat of th moment. We are talking Oakland, with all the heckling and crap going on I could see how it would happen. If the guy would have co-operated in the first place none of it would have happened. No premeditation whatsoever. The guy made a mistake, a big one though. He probably saved many lives in the future by doing it, I am sure this guy wasn't an upstanding citizen. People care more about this crap than an innocent victim. It wasn't like this guy was minding his own business I am sure he was far from innocent.

Sorry, I usually agree with you, but I gotta say that is a very asinine comment. Not all kids that are in trouble for fighting on a BART train murder people later in life.

cubanstogie
01-09-2009, 08:56 PM
Sorry, I usually agree with you, but I gotta say that is a very asinine comment. Not all kids that are in trouble for fighting on a BART train murder people later in life.

I realized it was over the top, one of my best friends is a cop in near buy, in a very liberal city if that helps, and I hear too many stories to be objective. I am just tired of guys like this getting more sympathy and press than some innocent child abducted, chained up and tortured. The cop screwed, the guy probably deserved to be tazed but unfortunately the cop made a big mistake. He didn't deserve to die, but when a cop is giving orders you follow them. I agree it was asinine.

MACH1
01-09-2009, 09:07 PM
I agree it all could have been avoided by the kid just sitting still. And I doubt it was premeditated. As young as the officer looked was it a rookie mistake, huge mistake at that, lack of training? I just have a hard time wrapping my brain around why he couldn't tell the difference between his tazor and his side arm. The two other officers had the guy down and he stepped back and pulled the trigger. Either way its a tragedy that shouldn't of happened.

Preacher
01-09-2009, 09:13 PM
I realized it was over the top, one of my best friends is a cop in near buy, in a very liberal city if that helps, and I hear too many stories to be objective. I am just tired of guys like this getting more sympathy and press than some innocent child abducted, chained up and tortured. The cop screwed, the guy probably deserved to be tazed but unfortunately the cop made a big mistake. He didn't deserve to die, but when a cop is giving orders you follow them. I agree it was asinine.

:thumbsup:

I can understand the emotion that you feel as well. It seems simple to me. Do what the cop asks, and you won't get into trouble.

Polamalu Princess
01-09-2009, 09:45 PM
Wow - what a difficult situation...I am not sure what to write, so I will just pray for all involved. How tragic.

CASTEEL
01-10-2009, 01:22 AM

The kid was stupid.

Too bad that kid didn't go to your church Preacher.
You think that kid had anyone around him to teach him how to be a man?

You think he had any hope in his life when he was shot in the back, in a situation where it seemed that the cops had everything under control?

It's a shameful thing when people blame victims. (not that Preach was doing this.. but others are) Whether or not the guy was a thug causing trouble, he's a victim of manslaughter at the least... and we live in a country where people are not supposed to be shot for simply being stupid.

TroysBadDawg
01-10-2009, 02:12 AM
Where I live the police have to carry the taser on the opposite side as their sidearm, so there is no mistake which they are pulling. the taser is also heavier as previously stated and is bulky. I have held one and had a police taser, but I sold it and bought a civilian one which gives a longer charge to the perp. The police one give a 1o to 15 second shock where the civilian one gives up to 30 seconds of shock time enough for you to get away from the area.

I pray for both families of this tragic event. Also for those that witnessed it, they are also scared one way or another.

I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
01-10-2009, 04:07 AM
Too bad that kid didn't go to your church Preacher.
You think that kid had anyone around him to teach him how to be a man?

You think he had any hope in his life when he was shot in the back, in a situation where it seemed that the cops had everything under control?

It's a shameful thing when people blame victims. Whether or not the guy was a thug causing trouble, he's a victim of murder... and we live in a country where people are not supposed to be shot for simply being stupid.

I don't think Preach is saying this kid deserved to be shot for what he did. You took that quote out of context to try and make a point.

If the kid didn't get in trouble in the first place, he wouldn't have been shot...

If the kid would have done what he was told by the officers and sit still, he wouldn't have been shot...

If the officer had pulled the correct weapon, the kid wouldn't have been shot...

They both made big mistakes, the officer's mistake just had much more serious consequences. He should be tried for involuntary manslaughter, but this is hardly a murder.

I can say this I have never put myself in a situation where an officer felt compelled to cuff me, and if he did I would do exactly what he said to keep myself out of more trouble...

CASTEEL
01-10-2009, 12:26 PM
I don't think Preach is saying this kid deserved to be shot for what he did. You took that quote out of context to try and make a point.

I didn't think Preach was saying he deserved to be shot ... I edited my post to be more clear. ..... I also didn't take a thing out of context.

If the kid didn't get in trouble in the first place, he wouldn't have been shot...

If the kid would have done what he was told by the officers and sit still, he wouldn't have been shot...

There is only one person that is guilty here, and that's the one who pulled the trigger. We could go on and on and say if this and if that. How about "if that kid had been born in a rich white neighborhood he wouldn't have been shot?"

The only 'if' that matters is this one:

If the officer had pulled the correct weapon, the kid wouldn't have been shot...

He didn't need to pull even a taser. Those kids didn't have weapons. There were two cops on top of that kid. There was absolutely no need for any weapon.

http://news.newamericamedia.org/news/view_article.html?article_id=dea7256744ec1b5e40676 2890c910aa1

It is a tragic thing all around.

Preacher
01-10-2009, 04:31 PM
I didn't think Preach was saying he deserved to be shot ... I edited my post to be more clear. ..... I also didn't take a thing out of context.

There is only one person that is guilty here, and that's the one who pulled the trigger. We could go on and on and say if this and if that. How about "if that kid had been born in a rich white neighborhood he wouldn't have been shot?"

The only 'if' that matters is this one:

He didn't need to pull even a taser. Those kids didn't have weapons. There were two cops on top of that kid. There was absolutely no need for any weapon.

http://news.newamericamedia.org/news/view_article.html?article_id=dea7256744ec1b5e40676 2890c910aa1

It is a tragic thing all around.

That IS where we are going to disagree (though I do appreciate you being specific about my previous posts... thanks).

From what I saw in the video, the kid was resisting arrest while on the ground. The taser is SPECIFICALLY used to incapacitate an individual that is resisting. So he had every right to pull a taser and incapacitate the kid.