PDA

View Full Version : Ben playing it safe

BlitzburghRockCity
12-22-2005, 01:08 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05356/626228.stm

Ben Roethlisberger is taking a safety-first approach as the Steelers try to squeeze their way into the playoffs the next two weeks.

He said he won't take as many chances when he drops back to pass.

"It's coming down to crunch time when you know you can't afford to make mistakes," Roethlisberger said. "I'm taking that playoff mentality right now."

Roethlisberger threw five interceptions in consecutive losses to Indianapolis and Cincinnati. He followed with no interceptions against Chicago and Minnesota, both wins. He also threw no touchdown passes in those two games, completing 23 of 35 passes for 322 yards.

"There are probably a couple of times where I maybe could have tried to sneak one in, but you never know what can happen," Roethlisberger said. "I'd rather take the high road right now and play it smart."

He did that when he scored the game's only touchdown in Minnesota, diving into the left corner of the end zone to end a 3-yard run. He thought of passing to Antwaan Randle El, but decided to run instead for the score. He was sacked four times and scrambled out of the pocket three other times in Minnesota (two other "carries" were a fumbled snap and downing the ball by going to his knee to end the game).

"That competitor, that quarterback in me wants to make plays every play, wants to fire the ball in and give my guys opportunities," Roethlisberger said. "I'll still do that, but I also have to be able to use my head and be smart and make sure I don't hurt this team."

One thing not hurting as much is his right thumb, which has a strained tendon and a chip on the bone. This will be his fourth start since the thumb injury Nov. 28 in Indianapolis.

BB2W
12-22-2005, 01:15 AM
He has to be carefull with the football, but I don't want him ignoring his instincts. Sometimes you gotta let her rip...

Sharkissle29
12-22-2005, 01:59 AM
his thumb still worries me. i dunno how u can throw a ball with a chip on your bone. what a soldier.

CASTEEL
12-22-2005, 02:18 AM
Use the Force Ben......

Sorry, slipped a bit.

I think he should follow his insticts as well. Relax a bit and play your game. The Steelers drafted him because of his abilities...... time to use them!!!

GO STEELERS!!!

Koopa
12-22-2005, 02:29 AM
naw i'm actually glad he's starting to be smarter with the ball, no point in forcing it yet. turnovers mean less confedence so i rather him just play smart and get the W and build up more confedence.

clevestinks
12-22-2005, 07:25 AM
Protect The Thumb! We need a ring for it!

SteelCityMan786
12-22-2005, 03:27 PM
Good to see he has common sense. We need him for the Playoffs. His thumb will need a ring for it.

Sharkissle29
12-22-2005, 03:31 PM
Good to see he has common sense. We need him for the Playoffs. His thumb will need a ring for it.
how ironic would it be if we won the superbowl with ben, with a hurt thumb? hahah got that one for the thumb!! interesting to think about

Suitanim
12-22-2005, 04:03 PM
Also from that same article...

Injury updates

Coach Bill Cowher upgraded offensive tackle Marvel Smith (ankle) from questionable to probable yesterday, and it appears he will make his first start in four games after he went through another full practice.

"Everything went good, I had a lot of fun," Smith said. "I'm preparing the best I can to be able to go out there and play. It's tough sitting back watching your team, not being able to go out and contribute and help us win games. It was the toughest period I've been through in a long time."

SteelCityMan786
12-22-2005, 05:25 PM
how ironic would it be if we won the superbowl with ben, with a hurt thumb? hahah got that one for the thumb!! interesting to think about

Yep That would be ironic. A QB with a hurt thumb QB's a Victory in the Super Bowl. It would be amazing.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-23-2005, 01:40 AM
Ben is a tough as they come.. there is no doubt about it. But you can tell he's maturing more as he gets more and more experience.. you play smart, slide when you can, avoid the big hit as much as possible..but when push comes to shove for that gotta have it first down. I'll take him in any shape he's in.

Koopa
12-23-2005, 01:59 AM
i can't wait till they actually starting useing heath on a consititent basis, he's a big target for ben and can probably get us the first down everytime you throw to him, and throwing quick passes to him will help eliminate stupid turnovers trying to get it to a short wilson or ARE, and then when defenses start focusing on him, it'll open up ward more, and then it'll open shit up for ARE and so on. i say the first couple of plays this weekend should be to heath down the middle for a couple of first downs in a row, and then run with willie and then bomb the ***** to ARE. and then a touchdown pass to ward.

SteelCityMan786
12-23-2005, 09:40 AM
Ben is a tough as they come.. there is no doubt about it. But you can tell he's maturing more as he gets more and more experience.. you play smart, slide when you can, avoid the big hit as much as possible..but when push comes to shove for that gotta have it first down. I'll take him in any shape he's in.

Yeah Ben is as tough as they come. No Doubt as you said BRC. He is maturing that is also a true thing to. And he is playing smarter.