PDA

View Full Version : Will Tomlin do the right thing: Pull Ben?

nojobny
01-11-2009, 08:22 AM
Okay, just throwing this out there....

What if during the first half its obvious that Ben's laying an egg. Will coach do the right thing and put in Lefty? Or will he try to let Ben recover?

I think that's my greatest fear in today's game - Ben. Of course maybe the D will give us a game that it doesn't really matter.

Thoughts?

stillers4me
01-11-2009, 08:24 AM
Thoughts?

I think you shouldn't think so much.

SteelersMongol
01-11-2009, 08:25 AM
I could go with either one. We all know we could rely on Lefty if things get rough, but we still trust Ben wholeheartedly.

TackleMeBen
01-11-2009, 08:25 AM
i think coach tomlin has the grapefruits to tell ben that he is sucking and is going to be on the bench and BL is going in. i dont see tomlin being afraid to do that if that is what is in the best interest of this team winning and going to the AFCC game.

steeltheone
01-11-2009, 08:28 AM
Why even think like that on Gameday.

NJarhead
01-11-2009, 08:29 AM
i think coach tomlin has the grapefruits to tell ben that he is sucking and is going to be on the bench and BL is going in. i dont see tomlin being afraid to do that if that is what is in the best interest of this team winning and going to the AFCC game.

Grapefruits? :rofl:

cubanstogie
01-11-2009, 08:30 AM
You dance with the one that brought you. Yeah I hear people saying we are dancing with our D, very true but Ben did lead 5 fourth quarter comebacks so its hard justifying pulling him unless effected dramatically by the concussions. The only way I see him benched is if he complains about headache etc....It seems there are actually people who would like to see Lefty start, not saying you ,but I do get a feeling from some people. It really makes no sense, he is our guy and you can't second guess every decision, interception, or fumble and want to put someone else in. I guess its the instant gratification world we live in.

TackleMeBen
01-11-2009, 08:30 AM
Grapefruits? :rofl:
i watched too much wrestling..lol.. :chuckle:

hindes204
01-11-2009, 08:33 AM
why is every one so damn worried about ben...he got us this far, i think he will step up to the plate today and shut all of the naysayers up

TackleMeBen
01-11-2009, 08:35 AM
why is every one so damn worried about ben...he got us this far, i think he will step up to the plate today and shut all of the naysayers up
i think if he hadnt suffered that concussion people wouldnt be so worried about him. i hope that he does step up and makes the chargers secondary look like the wimps they are. but if he starts to play bad, you cant give him time to make up for it b/c it could be too late and they could be hitting the links next week instead of getting ready to play the ravens.

stlrz fan
01-11-2009, 08:38 AM
Only if it's a matter of health and it's sounding like Ben is doing well. Ben is the guy and he will lead us through this game. I think we're going to see one of the best performances from Ben that we have seen this year. So Ready!!!

hindes204
01-11-2009, 08:43 AM
i think if he hadnt suffered that concussion people wouldnt be so worried about him. i hope that he does step up and makes the chargers secondary look like the wimps they are. but if he starts to play bad, you cant give him time to make up for it b/c it could be too late and they could be hitting the links next week instead of getting ready to play the ravens.

the concussion was mild, and it was two weeks ago...plenty of time to recover...as long as he doesnt get drilled he should be ok...and i think even without the concussion, alot of the people on this board would still say the same thing, lots of ben haters out there...i guess they dont get that hes the best qb weve had in twenty plus years

IamTheSteelGod
01-11-2009, 08:44 AM
Okay, just throwing this out there....

What if during the first half its obvious that Ben's laying an egg. Will coach do the right thing and put in Lefty? Or will he try to let Ben recover?

I think that's my greatest fear in today's game - Ben. Of course maybe the D will give us a game that it doesn't really matter.

Thoughts?

In my opinion when Big Ben starts to suck he never recovers for the rest of the game, he just continues to make mistakes. The only grounds i think Tomlin will put Lefty in. if Ben is medically not with it, I don't see Tomlin putting him in if Big Ben is having a bad game. Of which is wrong.

The Duke
01-11-2009, 08:45 AM
The "right thing" could be seen in different ways

To me the right thing to do is stick with ben throughout the whole game, unless he gets injured. And I believe coach T shares my opinion

He is our franchise QB, and he will not be benched unless he goes down or we get a significant lead in the 4th quarter. I'm hoping for the latter

We either go all the way with ben or down with him. I can guarantee you that

lilyoder6
01-11-2009, 08:45 AM
tomlin made the decision not to put ben back in during the redskins game b/c lefty was doing so good... if the time comes tomlin will do the right thing

hindes204
01-11-2009, 08:48 AM
In my opinion when Big Ben starts to suck he never recovers for the rest of the game, he just continues to make mistakes.

i disagree, he had had games where he hasnt been too hot the whole game and then catches fire in the fourth quarter and leads us to a win...youve got to give him the chance to win the game

TackleMeBen
01-11-2009, 08:51 AM
i disagree, he had had games where he hasnt been too hot the whole game and then catches fire in the fourth quarter and leads us to a win...youve got to give him the chance to win the game
but this isnt a regular game. this is a playoff game, meaning if you lose you hit the links early.. .i think tomlin will do whatever it takes to win b/c he doesnt want to be known as the coach who always loses his first playoff game every season.

Michael Keller
01-11-2009, 08:53 AM
Come on Ben is our Quarterback .

If you want some drama fire the offensive coordinator and the offensive line coach during the post game interview.

The Steelers are going to win today that I am sure of.

TackleMeBen
01-11-2009, 08:55 AM
everyone knows that ben is our qb, but winning the game is more important than his ego if he is playing bad. everyone on here knows that i am a big ben fan, but i wont try and make excuses if he plays bad or makes bonehead decisions.

i dont like losing and and losing isnt an option for me.

hindes204
01-11-2009, 08:55 AM
but this isnt a regular game. this is a playoff game, meaning if you lose you hit the links early.. .i think tomlin will do whatever it takes to win b/c he doesnt want to be known as the coach who always loses his first playoff game every season.

but if you bench him, and we do win the game, what will it do for his confidence for the next game...or are you saying byron should start the next game if that happens...ben is our starter....our starter who has proven he can win in the playoffs...you cannot give up on him and bench him unless it is a health issue

TackleMeBen
01-11-2009, 09:04 AM
but if you bench him, and we do win the game, what will it do for his confidence for the next game...or are you saying byron should start the next game if that happens...ben is our starter....our starter who has proven he can win in the playoffs...you cannot give up on him and bench him unless it is a health issue
no i am not saying that BL should start the next game if that happens. winning is what should matter no matter who is at qb. if ben cant get it then yes put BL in there and see if he can. i am sure ben has no problem in the confidence dept. if he did get benched if he started playing bad. you do what is best for the team to win.

nojobny
01-11-2009, 10:13 AM
I think you shouldn't think so much.

LOL.. I know. I think it's just pre-game jitters. Once I get to the stadium I'll be amp'd. I'm getting a little stir crazy.

nojobny
01-11-2009, 10:18 AM
You dance with the one that brought you. Yeah I hear people saying we are dancing with our D, very true but Ben did lead 5 fourth quarter comebacks so its hard justifying pulling him unless effected dramatically by the concussions. The only way I see him benched is if he complains about headache etc....It seems there are actually people who would like to see Lefty start, not saying you ,but I do get a feeling from some people. It really makes no sense, he is our guy and you can't second guess every decision, interception, or fumble and want to put someone else in. I guess its the instant gratification world we live in.

No, you're right. Lefty should not start. This is Ben's team.

But yes, that's my concern, Ben's health. Will he be clear headed? My dream is I come back tonight and Ben has had an amazing record setting game. That will keep the ESPN talking heads from harping on Ben's head and give us momentum to kick the ratbirds to the curb on the way to Tampa.
:tt:

Fordy
01-11-2009, 10:35 AM
Hopefully this is a non-issue today. I think it depends on how far we are down by and how quickly the Chargers build a lead. Tomlin might think it a good idea to see if Lefty can provide a spark. If Ben is playing bad but we are still right in the game I dont think he pulls Ben. But if we get down like 21-0 in the 2nd quarter and ben has thrown 3 int's already than maybe Tomlin will make the switch. If its 17-14 and Ben has thrown 3 int's I think Tomlin lets Ben work his way out of the funk.

JanBr7
01-11-2009, 10:38 AM
Just gotta say I resent the existence of this thread. But you are all entitled to your opinions, and isn't that great.

Preacher
01-11-2009, 10:43 AM
In my opinion when Big Ben starts to suck he never recovers for the rest of the game, he just continues to make mistakes. The only grounds i think Tomlin will put Lefty in. if Ben is medically not with it, I don't see Tomlin putting him in if Big Ben is having a bad game. Of which is wrong.

Really, like when he led the team in the comeback during last year's playoffs? Don't forget, we had the lead with just a couple minutes left. It was our D that failed in that game.

One of Ben's greatest STRENGTHS is his ability to bounce back.

I too am worried about a game after a concussion. He doesn't like to run for first downs even if given the lane, when he is coming back from one.

However, Ben has the talent to lead a comeback. You let him do it.

stlrtruck
01-11-2009, 11:24 AM
How about instead of thread title like this we get one like this:

Will Ben know when to throw it away, when to hold it a second longer, or when to take off and run?