PDA

View Full Version : any willie haters in the house?

tony hipchest
01-11-2009, 07:36 PM
beuller?

Polamalu43
01-11-2009, 08:00 PM
that's what i wanna know. FWP is awesome man.. ive wrote names down so dont come on here thinkin your a FWP fan, cause you will expossed!! period!!!! go steelers

T.Richardson
01-11-2009, 08:00 PM
he impressed me!

Stang909
01-11-2009, 08:02 PM
I'm glad he is finally healthy!:tt03:

TeeJay
01-11-2009, 08:05 PM
beuller?

I'm sure NYS or UFN will be along with some stats for everyone soon. :tt03:

Hines0wnz
01-11-2009, 08:21 PM
He had a -1 yd carry in the 4th quarter, what garbage he is.

lawlz

RoethlisBURGHer
01-11-2009, 08:54 PM
When Willie is healthy, he dominates.

I can't wait to see what a healthy Willie-Mendenhall-Moore-Russel can do next year. Just wow!

Steel_Bus_24
01-11-2009, 08:57 PM
Love the way we ran today

Smashmouth Football...Pittsburgh Style:tt03:

MACH1
01-11-2009, 08:57 PM
I'm sure NYS or UFN will be along with some stats for everyone soon. :tt03:

Ya, but if you take away that one long run. :chuckle:

TeeJay
01-11-2009, 09:02 PM
Ya, but if you take away that one long run. :chuckle:

LMFAO........that'll be it!!

:rofl:

PalmerSteel
01-11-2009, 09:11 PM
i was never a hater, but i pleasantly admit i was wrong about willie. i didnt think he was healthy enough to take majority of snaps today to be consistant. looked good against the stains but he showed today that he is back. good to see his burst back. cant wait to see him in prime form next sunday!

Dino 6 Rings
01-11-2009, 09:17 PM
Most playoff rushing yards since Franco in 1975

Unbelievable stat.

Godfather
01-11-2009, 09:21 PM
Willie sucks. He got a lot of yards up the middle against some scrub who was only playing because Merriman was hurt.

Steeldude
01-11-2009, 09:21 PM
O-line impressed me far more than parker.

I can't wait to see what a healthy Willie-Mendenhall-Moore-Russel can do next year. Just wow

only one ball. personally, i would trade mendenhall to move up in the '09 draft.

Godfather
01-11-2009, 09:22 PM
Hey Dino, you need to put a * in your signature :applaudit:

Preacher
01-11-2009, 09:25 PM
Sweet, really? How many did he have?

145 I believe.

jaysta
01-11-2009, 09:26 PM
Wow lots of haters here for a team heading to the AFC Championship game behind a run game that in mho looked pretty sharp today! With or without Merriman San Diego would have had a hard time stopping the run game today! :tt02:

GBMelBlount
01-11-2009, 09:30 PM
Good game Willie! I really think how far we go really depends on how our offense performs against the TOP SHELF D's. This was not one of them. Next week is a huge test and I couldn't be more excited!!!!! GO STEELERS!!!!

welder4pit
01-11-2009, 09:43 PM
145 I believe.me too

VegasStlrFan
01-11-2009, 10:02 PM
Willie's healthy ...... oh yea hes pretty good too.

4G63
01-11-2009, 10:05 PM
Those gaping holes won't be there next week.......he'll have to earn his $$$$!!

HometownGal
01-11-2009, 10:09 PM
All of the Willie haters are busy right now eating their crow from underneath their favorite bridges. :chuckle:

Willie kicked AZZ today! That's the FWP we all know and love! :tt03::hatsoff:

SteelersinCA
01-11-2009, 10:11 PM

Meh, 2 times already, I'm confident.

BehindSteelCurtain
01-11-2009, 10:27 PM
I questioned him at times during the season. I questioned his running style. He's best when he bounces it outside and those pitches. But I suppose it was health issues that he couldn't run outside like he could. Just think if he runs like that the rest of the way, Steelers will be hard to stop.

BehindSteelCurtain
01-11-2009, 10:28 PM
It's not even Monday yet and we have Ravens trolls already.

steelreserve
01-11-2009, 10:28 PM
I could not have been happier about this. Parker pissed me off all season but came through big-time when it counted. My hat goes off to the guy and I hope he keeps it up next week! But if it's a typical Ravens game, we're gonna have to find a way to win ugly like we always do.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-11-2009, 10:47 PM

They were there this week for Chris Johnson. 116 yards rushing by the Titans and a 4.1YPC average. Face it, you got ran on, but the Titans fumbled the ball away.

Round 3, bring it on.

scsteeler
01-11-2009, 10:54 PM

I know you are praying they are not there next week. :tt::tt::tt::tt:

jjpro11
01-11-2009, 11:08 PM

you guys had an awfully hard time stopping chris johnson before he got hurt.

Danger DANJ
01-12-2009, 03:41 AM
There is another thread somewhere where someone was saying the Moore should start. I said you couldn't do that now that Willie is finally healthy! I wonder where that person is now?

Anyway, I loved the speed Willie was showing and the decision making of where to go if there was no hole. He usually isn't as quick to decide. I have to give props to the line too though. It will be a lot harder to run on Baltimore.

UltimateFootballNetwork
01-12-2009, 01:57 PM
There is another thread somewhere where someone was saying the Moore should start. I said you couldn't do that now that Willie is finally healthy! I wonder where that person is now?

Anyway, I loved the speed Willie was showing and the decision making of where to go if there was no hole. He usually isn't as quick to decide. I have to give props to the line too though. It will be a lot harder to run on Baltimore. Well, there were more than one person saying that Moore should start and yesterdays game really goes to show that was the case.

It was great to see that FWP still has that extra gear when healthy, and the OL played no small part in blowing holes open.

But short of those two things, Moore was absolutely the right call earlier and it will be a mistake to go all-Willie-all-the-time vs the Ravens, but it is clear that Tomlin will go in that direction.

Great to see a healthy, effective FWP, but this has nothing to do with the debate over who should start under different circumstances.

Danger DANJ
01-12-2009, 02:17 PM
Well, there were more than one person saying that Moore should start and yesterdays game really goes to show that was the case.

It was great to see that FWP still has that extra gear when healthy, and the OL played no small part in blowing holes open.

But short of those two things, Moore was absolutely the right call earlier and it will be a mistake to go all-Willie-all-the-time vs the Ravens, but it is clear that Tomlin will go in that direction.

Great to see a healthy, effective FWP, but this has nothing to do with the debate over who should start under different circumstances.
I'm not saying Moore shouldn't get the ball because he should get a good amount of touches, but there is no way he should ever start over a healthy Willie!

Pi Kapp Steeler
01-12-2009, 02:20 PM
I love willie. I just wish we would put a damn fullback in front of him. Just my Opinion

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-12-2009, 02:22 PM
I'm not saying Moore shouldn't get the ball because he should get a good amount of touches, but there is no way he should ever start over a healthy Willie!
:applaudit:

And I bet 32 NFL head coaches would agree with you.

steelreserve
01-12-2009, 02:27 PM

Yes, now you've just got to run Parker out there and hope he can keep it up. If nothing else, you should stick with the guy who's hot.

Still, given our/Willie's history against Baltimore, I'd feel a lot better if we had a backup plan in case the Ravens come right out and stomp him into the turf, like they tend to do. Maybe that involves switching backs, maybe it involves switching the playcalling, probably some of both. Since this is like the 50th time we've faced them, I hope we're ready in case that happens.

steelreserve
01-12-2009, 02:31 PM

And I bet 32 NFL head coaches would agree with you.

I don't mean this to come off sounding like I want Willie benched right now, but if 32 NFL head coaches would agree about something, it doesn't necessarily mean shit. Ryan Leaf, Lawrence Phillips, and any number of other guys are proof that half the time, NFL head coaches have their heads up their asses just like anyone else.

Rek
01-12-2009, 02:32 PM
I love willie. I just wish we would put a damn fullback in front of him. Just my Opinion

At first I thought, "Hey! we have Carey Davis!" then I realized you said fullback. :sofunny:

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-12-2009, 02:33 PM

Actually, a decent blocking FB that could carry the football a few times would be great, but not gonna happen with Arians around.

The Dolphins ran a fake toss left to Ronnie Brown, then actually handoff the ball on an inside trap to their FB Polite and it went for 10 yards. we could do that if we had a decent FB.

westcoastransplant
01-12-2009, 02:42 PM

Thats what I've been screaming about all season. And I think it has had an effect on his health as well. We've had a fullback in the past to go into the hole and pick off the first LB there. This season, that first LB has hit Willie. It was great to see him playing like we all know he can, hopefully he carries it in the AFCCG. :tt::tt::tt:

Pi Kapp Steeler
01-12-2009, 02:42 PM
Makes you wonder how everything is gonna run when Mendenhall is back in the mix

Where does that put Moore?

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-12-2009, 02:44 PM
I don't mean this to come off sounding like I want Willie benched right now, but if 32 NFL head coaches would agree about something, it doesn't necessarily mean shit. Ryan Leaf, Lawrence Phillips, and any number of other guys are proof that half the time, NFL head coaches have their heads up their asses just like anyone else.

I agree that NFL head coaches can make mistakes. I am more or less stating that if you asked the coaches of 32 NFL teams who they would prefer as their starting RB....Willie Parker or Mewelde Moore, I firmly believe they unanimously would choose Parker.

Mewelde Moore is a good football player, but not NFL starting RB caliber, or he would be starting in this his 5th season. He was flavor of the month while he was starting and all the calls for him to be the starter are right in line with all the bandwagon calls for Michael Bush, Darren Sproles, Peyton Hillis, Darren McFadden, etc.

Parker is the starter, Mendenhall the heir apparent and Moore is depth.

UltimateFootballNetwork
01-12-2009, 03:00 PM

And I bet 32 NFL head coaches would agree with you. Well why would that be much of a surprise?

The question was always would FWP be completely healthy, either this year or ever again. And frankly, I would like to see it hold up for more than 1 game before I believe its here to stay.

You are still dramatically undervaluing Moore who is an NFL-starter and not the 3rd down back he is labeled.

steelreserve
01-12-2009, 03:03 PM

Yeah, that looks like how everything shook out ... I still rate Moore just as highly as Parker, but there's really no point to it now, since it's pretty obvious that starting Moore all season wouldn't be the one move that would singlehandedly catapult us to the championship.

Don't know if all 32 head coaches would agree with you, though. A team with a pass-happy offense wouldn't have nearly as much use for Parker's skill set. But anyway, this is really beside the point; all I care about for the next 3 weeks is that whoever IS on the field plays their ass off and executes well.

UltimateFootballNetwork
01-12-2009, 03:07 PM
I agree that NFL head coaches can make mistakes. I am more or less stating that if you asked the coaches of 32 NFL teams who they would prefer as their starting RB....Willie Parker or Mewelde Moore, I firmly believe they unanimously would choose Parker.

Mewelde Moore is a good football player, but not NFL starting RB caliber, or he would be starting in this his 5th season. He was flavor of the month while he was starting and all the calls for him to be the starter are right in line with all the bandwagon calls for Michael Bush, Darren Sproles, Peyton Hillis, Darren McFadden, etc.

Parker is the starter, Mendenhall the heir apparent and Moore is depth. And your dismissal of some of those players is shortsighted.

Mewelde Moore, Michael Bush, and possibly Sproles and McFadden (need to see more of both) are top-flight NFL RBs. I would not be surprised to see any of those 4 in a pro-bowl.

Your selection of Rashard Mendenhall as their heir apparent is the foolish selection. He has not shown himself to be of even starter quality as of yet. His YPC is terrible, he has shown fumble problems, was not able to stay healthy and apparently did not feel like spending time with the team.

IF (big IF) FWP is back to 100% do not be surprised if Mendenhall is riding the pine next year behind FWP and MM.

The_WARDen
01-12-2009, 03:09 PM
I'd like to see Parker be productive in this next game..this will be the test for him.
The Felons have been his kryptonite thus far in his career.

If he gets a 3 or 3.5 ypc on 20-25 carry stat line, then I think the people who find it necessary to brag may do so.

UltimateFootballNetwork
01-12-2009, 03:10 PM
Yeah, that looks like how everything shook out ... I still rate Moore just as highly as Parker, but there's really no point to it now, since it's pretty obvious that starting Moore all season wouldn't be the one move that would singlehandedly catapult us to the championship.

Don't know if all 32 head coaches would agree with you, though. A team with a pass-happy offense wouldn't have nearly as much use for Parker's skill set. But anyway, this is really beside the point; all I care about for the next 3 weeks is that whoever IS on the field plays their ass off and executes well. But this is the point that has not been addressed.

Moore adds a different dimension to the Steelers offense, and one that may be required to beat a defense like the Ravens (as it was in BOTH regular season games vs the Ravens).

FWP should remain the starter but keeping MM out of the gameplan is a mistake.

devilsdancefloor
01-12-2009, 03:22 PM
Well why would that be much of a surprise?

The question was always would FWP be completely healthy, either this year or ever again. And frankly, I would like to see it hold up for more than 1 game before I believe its here to stay.

You are still dramatically undervaluing Moore who is an NFL-starter and not the 3rd down back he is labeled.

Come on man Fantasy football is over! Moore has done a awesome job at filling in he is OUR 3RD down back get over it if ya cant build a damn bridge!

Polamalu43
01-12-2009, 03:30 PM
Willie sucks. He got a lot of yards up the middle against some scrub who was only playing because Merriman was hurt.

HAHAH dude are you serious???get your eyes checked!!

Polamalu43
01-12-2009, 03:31 PM

Exactly. it was funny when people were sayin, " Moore should be the starter" blah blah.. how you like them apples now haters???

The_WARDen
01-12-2009, 03:37 PM
Exactly. it was funny when people were sayin, " Moore should be the starter" blah blah.. how you like them apples now haters???

WOW! You da man!

:noidea:

Polamalu43
01-12-2009, 03:38 PM
:applaudit:WOW! You da man!

:noidea:

:hatsoff::applaudit:

BlastFurnace
01-12-2009, 03:40 PM
The only Willie I don't like on the team is Colon.

Polamalu43
01-12-2009, 03:41 PM
The only Willie I don't like on the team is Colon.

What are the chances hes gone next year??

UltimateFootballNetwork
01-12-2009, 04:00 PM
Come on man Fantasy football is over! Moore has done a awesome job at filling in he is OUR 3RD down back get over it if ya cant build a damn bridge! You can slice it any way you want, but with the exception of yesterday Moore has been better than Parker all year AS A RB, not a situational anything.

Even after yesterday, Moore still has more yards from scrimmage this season than FWP. No need to be rah-rah about things...honesty is ok.

Steeldude
01-12-2009, 04:19 PM
most RBs in the NFL have a tough time running against the ravens' defense.

if parker struggles, whether it's because of himself or the O-line, then moore should be brought in to see if anything changes. it doesn't even have to be moore. i have no problem with russell getting some of the load.

Polamalu43
01-12-2009, 04:25 PM
most RBs in the NFL have a tough time running against the ravens' defense.

if parker struggles, whether it's because of himself or the O-line, then moore should be brought in to see if anything changes. it doesn't even have to be moore. i have no problem with russell getting some of the load.

I think it's gonna be real tough to run on them but, i think FWP is peaking at the right time.. last night he had a monster game.. and if we had done some of them screens to FWP against the ravens dude would of had more yards, then he did !

steelreserve
01-12-2009, 04:42 PM
But this is the point that has not been addressed.

Moore adds a different dimension to the Steelers offense, and one that may be required to beat a defense like the Ravens (as it was in BOTH regular season games vs the Ravens).

FWP should remain the starter but keeping MM out of the gameplan is a mistake.

Exactly my thoughts. Who knows, maybe Parker will step up and have a huge game for all I know. But if he's getting his shit ruined all day, we'd better not wait too long to try something different, and that goes whether it's him or any other back. Because I've seen enough Baltimore games to know that's something you've GOT to be ready for.

RavensD
01-12-2009, 05:51 PM
beuller?

FWP?

Oh, I get it, F*** Willie Parker :poop:

UltimateFootballNetwork
01-12-2009, 06:10 PM
Exactly my thoughts. Who knows, maybe Parker will step up and have a huge game for all I know. But if he's getting his shit ruined all day, we'd better not wait too long to try something different, and that goes whether it's him or any other back. Because I've seen enough Baltimore games to know that's something you've GOT to be ready for. As it has been with every team, having MM in the backfield makes defenses guard against a pass-catching RB. This is even MORE important vs Baltimore as it makes their LBs play honest rather than attacking the LOS playing the run only.

Again, its the gameplan that bothers me. The gameplan vs the Chargers will not work vs either the Ravens or Eagles (and this we already know from experience this season) and it has appeared for weeks that this is the only gameplan Tomlin/Arians are considering.

tony hipchest
01-12-2009, 06:23 PM
and it has appeared for weeks that this is the only gameplan Tomlin/Arians are considering.

theyre trying to trick you...

its gonna be bombs away all day :wink02:

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-12-2009, 06:31 PM
And your dismissal of some of those players is shortsighted.

I never dismissed any of those players and I am not shortsighted by any stretch of the imagination.

My dismissal was of the knee jerk fans that in around week 3 when McFadden has a big rushing game against the Chiefs....is ready to anoint him as the the next big thing. Then the same thing after the Bronco's Peyton Hillis has a good game (by necessity of the rest of Denvers RB's injuries). Then again when Michael Bush runs all around a poor tackling geriatric Bucs defense.....he is the next big thing.

I find it amusing that when Moore was pressed into duty in October, because of injury to Parker and Mendenhall......everybody rushed to join to label MeMo as the next great Steelers RB. He is a good football player and I am happy to have him here for 2 more seasons, but he is not a feature back and never will be a feature RB.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-12-2009, 06:35 PM
The gameplan vs the Chargers will not work vs either the Ravens or Eagles(and this we already know from experience this season) and it has appeared for weeks that this is the only gameplan Tomlin/Arians are considering.

And you know this how?? Are you somehow privy to offensive gameplanning of the Steelers?

Even Revefsreleets and the Cleveland Motor Dealers Association thinks that is a bit presumptuous!! sorry Revefs, but the reference fit the topic.

UltimateFootballNetwork
01-12-2009, 06:38 PM
I never dismissed any of those players and I am not shortsighted by any stretch of the imagination.

My dismissal was of the knee jerk fans that in around week 3 when McFadden has a big rushing game against the Chiefs....is ready to anoint him as the the next big thing. Then the same thing after the Bronco's Peyton Hillis has a good game (by necessity of the rest of Denvers RB's injuries). Then again when Michael Bush runs all around a poor tackling geriatric Bucs defense.....he is the next big thing.

I find it amusing that when Moore was pressed into duty in October, because of injury to Parker and Mendenhall......everybody rushed to join to label MeMo as the next great Steelers RB. He is a good football player and I am happy to have him here for 2 more seasons, but he is not a feature back and never will be a feature RB. Well your certainty is a perfect example of your hubris overcoming your common sense and knowledge of the situation.

I would go so far as to say both Michael Bush and Mewelde Moore are top 15 RBs in the NFL right now and both will be feature backs in the NFL sooner rather than later and Darren McFadden may not be far behind.

No one game doesnt mean anything but you are confusing lack of talent with lack of opportunity.

UltimateFootballNetwork
01-12-2009, 06:42 PM
And you know this how?? Are you somehow privy to offensive gameplanning of the Steelers?

Even Revefsreleets and the Cleveland Motor Dealers Association thinks that is a bit presumptuous!! sorry Revefs, but the reference fit the topic. Because the Steelers have played 12 quarters of football vs those two teams this season and have ZERO TDs with that particular game plan.

once again, all you need to do is consult with reality.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-12-2009, 06:46 PM
Well your certainty is a perfect example of your hubris overcoming your common sense and knowledge of the situation.

I would go so far as to say both Michael Bush and Mewelde Moore are top 15 RBs in the NFL right now and both will be feature backs in the NFL sooner rather than later and Darren McFadden may not be far behind.

No one game doesnt mean anything but you are confusing lack of talent with lack of opportunity.

I think Bush has great talent, but has never displayed the ability to remain healthy. I think McFadden has great speed, which worked for him in college where the hashmarks are wider, but doesnt run well north-south, which is required in the NFL where the hashmarks are in the middle of the field.

You must help to define OPPORTUNITY for us all. Mewelde Moore has had 5 seasons in the NFL and most of this season to be the feature RB because of injuries to Parker and Mendenhall.....but still could not take the starting job. How many years do you have to play in the NFL before you stop complaining you didnt get a shot??

Saying Mewelde Moore or Bush is a top 15 RB is like saying Max Starks is a top 15 OT. :rofl:

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-12-2009, 06:49 PM
Because the Steelers have played 12 quarters of football vs those two teams this season and have ZERO TDs with that particular game plan.

once again, all you need to do is consult with reality.

The reality is that offensive coaches can change gameplans, blocking assignments, play scripts, etc each week. You cant possibly know what the gameplan was against those teams if you were not in on team meetings. You probably have never devised an offensive gameplan in your life.

UltimateFootballNetwork
01-12-2009, 07:45 PM
I think Bush has great talent, but has never displayed the ability to remain healthy. I think McFadden has great speed, which worked for him in college where the hashmarks are wider, but doesnt run well north-south, which is required in the NFL where the hashmarks are in the middle of the field.

You must help to define OPPORTUNITY for us all. Mewelde Moore has had 5 seasons in the NFL and most of this season to be the feature RB because of injuries to Parker and Mendenhall.....but still could not take the starting job. How many years do you have to play in the NFL before you stop complaining you didnt get a shot??

Saying Mewelde Moore or Bush is a top 15 RB is like saying Max Starks is a top 15 OT. :rofl: Bush hasnt been able to stay healthy? Then your starter-in-waiting Mendenhall is ruled out too. 1 broken leg in a career does not make someone unable to stay healthy.

Opportunity? Moore couldnt take the starting role? In the 5 games Moore got 15+ touches this season he AVERAGED 109 yards/game from scrimmage. So I guess if that is failing to win the starting role then you are right. And yes that is what happened to Moore in Minny as well.

Both he and Bush are top 15 in talent to be everydown feature backs and when either gets their opportunity, as defined by a coach willing to give them ball repeatedly, they will put up big numbers.

Polamalu43
01-12-2009, 08:45 PM
FWP?

:banging: Can you say troll??

steelreserve
01-13-2009, 01:06 AM

Saying Mewelde Moore or Bush is a top 15 RB is like saying Max Starks is a top 15 OT. :rofl:

First, I think McFadden's going to be fine. A lot of his problems this year came from the fact that he played in a retarded offense that's consistently threatened records like "fewest points since 1968" over the last few seasons, and used him sparingly on top of everything. He's definitely got the explosiveness to be a star.

As for Moore, it seems pretty obvious that he's not the next LT or anything, but he's established himself as a solid back. It happens all the time that guys can play well and not "win" a starting job just because of inertia. It's become clear that he wouldn't solve all our problems, but I've got no doubt that he could start.

Preacher
01-13-2009, 02:57 AM
Well, there were more than one person saying that Moore should start and yesterdays game really goes to show that was the case.

It has everything to do with it. (assuming a healthy Willie and MeMo) You start willie because he gives you the best chance of winning. Period.

But to the other side of your post. You are right, it isn't all willie, ALL THE TIME. The Scat back MeMo is exactly what we need to change the pace. As I said in another thread. It is the idea of changing from a dragster to a formula one car. Willie has some moves... but he is speed-- (and showed some power too, DANG but did he move some piles yesterday). MeMo is the pinball you cant touch me back. I think it is Just as much an adjustment between those two as it is between a power runner and a speed runner.

I would prefer to see a 60-40 split at running weighted in Willie's favor.

Now, going into next year. I really just want to see MeMo on third downs and a few other situations. Why? Because I think he will be even MORE valuable on special teams. I CRINGE everyting I see Santo back there, because we don't need to get him hurt. And as far as our kickoffs are concerned. . . well, at least they are catchng the ball, but they are making Dookie look small back there!

BTW, MeMo is no Sproles. Not by a LONG shot.

steelreserve
01-13-2009, 03:20 AM
I CRINGE everyting I see Santo back there, because we don't need to get him hurt.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that. Punt returns are the biggest roll of the dice in the game for that.

Anyway, the only thing I hope for the remainder of this year is that we use our guys as effectively as possible, which is the best we can hope for. But for now, I think the middle ground we all realize is that Parker and Moore is better than Parker and nobody, and all we can do right now is hope that carries us into the Super Bowl and next year, let the chips fall where they may.

And you know what? With four teams left, I don't think anyone's got an advantage over us at RB. Both our guys are healthy and on top of their game, and put together, they can be a threat anywhere on the field. I like our chances with that.

Preacher
01-13-2009, 03:39 AM
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that. Punt returns are the biggest roll of the dice in the game for that.

Anyway, the only thing I hope for the remainder of this year is that we use our guys as effectively as possible, which is the best we can hope for. But for now, I think the middle ground we all realize is that Parker and Moore is better than Parker and nobody, and all we can do right now is hope that carries us into the Super Bowl and next year, let the chips fall where they may.

And you know what? With four teams left, I don't think anyone's got an advantage over us at RB. Both our guys are healthy and on top of their game, and put together, they can be a threat anywhere on the field. I like our chances with that.

Absolutely.

I actually would be quite upset next year if we lose MeMo. I think he is an excellent addition to our team. It is my hope that Parker, MeMo and Mende become the equivalent of our 3, 4, and 5 hitters on a baseball team.

Now, if a team wants to trade a 1st for MeMo, well. . .

JackHammer
01-13-2009, 03:53 AM
Absolutely.

I actually would be quite upset next year if we lose MeMo. I think he is an excellent addition to our team. It is my hope that Parker, MeMo and Mende become the equivalent of our 3, 4, and 5 hitters on a baseball team.

Now, if a team wants to trade a 1st for MeMo, well. . .

I think it's gonna depend on how we end the season. If we win it all, I'm willing to bet you can kiss Moore goodbye. Teams will see how important he was when Willie went down and they'll throw more money at him than he is worth.

UltimateFootballNetwork
01-13-2009, 03:55 AM
It has everything to do with it. (assuming a healthy Willie and MeMo) You start willie because he gives you the best chance of winning. Period.

But to the other side of your post. You are right, it isn't all willie, ALL THE TIME. The Scat back MeMo is exactly what we need to change the pace. As I said in another thread. It is the idea of changing from a dragster to a formula one car. Willie has some moves... but he is speed-- (and showed some power too, DANG but did he move some piles yesterday). MeMo is the pinball you cant touch me back. I think it is Just as much an adjustment between those two as it is between a power runner and a speed runner.

Now, going into next year. I really just want to see MeMo on third downs and a few other situations. Why? Because I think he will be even MORE valuable on special teams. I CRINGE everyting I see Santo back there, because we don't need to get him hurt. And as far as our kickoffs are concerned. . . well, at least they are catchng the ball, but they are making Dookie look small back there!

BTW, MeMo is no Sproles. Not by a LONG shot. The whole point was, regardless of your POV, you could not assume a healthy FWP at any time this season before Sunday. When you arent healthy all year its quite a roll of the dice to hope that health kicks in on the 19th week of the season. I think Tomlin got somewhat lucky on that, because it has been clear that he is running FWP until the wheels fall off.

And thats the other point....it IS FWP all the time. Almost no other RB in the NFL gets that many of his teams carries. Not LT, not Adrian Peterson. Not Michael Turner. (I think Clinton Portis is the exception) And I do not understand that gameplan.

DACEB
01-13-2009, 08:56 AM
Yea, I hate the fact that both he and MeMo ran out of bounds in the 4th while we were trying to kill the clock.

They both suck!!

Seriously, they should have stayed in bounds. Thats 30-40 sec. right there.

DACEB
01-13-2009, 09:09 AM

This is the only rotation I haven't been happy with this season. When FWP is healthy Tomlin seems to 'run him till the wheels fall off'. I would be happy with a 70-30 split, or better yet 65-25-10, with Russell in the mix.

At this juncture we can afford to run FWP all the time, taking it one game at a time. I would let the other guys absorb some of the 'hot sauce' early on in this one though, and let FWP stay a little fresher for later in the game.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-13-2009, 10:23 AM
The whole point was, regardless of your POV, you could not assume a healthy FWP at any time this season before Sunday. .

I dont think the Steelers coaching staff "assumed" at any point about the health of FWP. They have team doctors, trainers, physiotherapists to determine that.

I'd still take an 80% FWP over a 100% Moore to be my starting RB. Bottom line is Parker is the starter, I love Moore as a complimentary back and 3rd down guy, but still need that true #2 RB and I hope Mendenhall is that next season.

tony hipchest
01-13-2009, 10:24 AM
I think it's gonna depend on how we end the season. If we win it all, I'm willing to bet you can kiss Moore goodbye. Teams will see how important he was when Willie went down and they'll throw more money at him than he is worth.
nope.

3 years/$5 mil. hes ours.

Curtain_of_Steel
01-13-2009, 10:31 AM
When Willie runs he dominates. He has not ran for the most part all year. Is this about his health? Or did they see something on tape that he hasn't done all year?

Obviously its both, but....

Watch his runs in the Sd game. Willie left his hitch in the locker room. Everytime he got the ball he ran straight into the hole. Games past he wants to hop or skip first which closed the hole. I'm sure his health has helped quite a bit. But if the holes close before you hit them it doesn't matter if you have no legs your not getting through.
2nd half, he hitched a couple times, and stuffed at or behind the line. Than he came back with running harder straight ahead of making the cut at the line, not 3 yards deep in the back field.

He runs like that Sunday he will dominate, he starts the hitching again, we need to toss the rock quite a bit.

thepimpranos
01-13-2009, 10:43 AM
no run game, no super bowl. we must have a healthy fast willy. HERE WE GO STEELERS HERE WE GO

Preacher
01-13-2009, 02:58 PM
nope.

3 years/$5 mil. hes ours.

And it turned into another brilliant pickup by the Rooneys. If MeMo has a great playoff run...

I would be very interested in seeing what he could fetch for us in a trade. Moving up in the first round or getting another first round pick may enable us to get an O and D lineman that we can start to mold.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-13-2009, 03:23 PM
I would be very interested in seeing what he could fetch for us in a trade. Moving up in the first round or getting another first round pick may enable us to get an O and D lineman that we can start to mold.
Trading Moore might get a 3rd round pick or lower. The Vikings tried to shop him around for a 3rd round pick in 2007, but there were no takers then.

Why trade a valuable 3rd down receiver, complimentary RB and kick returner when you have him under contract for cheap?? The Steelers can use some of the $20mil in cap space to sign a D-lineman like Chris Canty and can get good young O linemen in the first 3 rounds of the draft.

Trading away a known asset for a 3rd round pick that could end up being Ricardo Colclough, Willie Reid, Trai Essex doesnt seem like a good idea to me. Bird in the hand is worth ........

TeeJay
01-13-2009, 04:49 PM
FWP?

Ohhhh....Raven humour..........................outstanding! :thud:

:coffee:

lilyoder6
01-13-2009, 05:20 PM
memo didn't even rly get a chance to get going in that game .. willie was on fire.. but if a team is dumb enough to give us a first or second for him.. i would take the pick and get better on the lines

Dino 6 Rings
01-13-2009, 05:26 PM
Yea, I hate the fact that both he and MeMo ran out of bounds in the 4th while we were trying to kill the clock.
Seriously, they should have stayed in bounds. Thats 30-40 sec. right there.

I think the clock starts again if you're outside of 5 minutes and run out of bounds, so we were able to eat clock.

yep...official rule
With the exception of the last two minutes of the first half and the last five minutes of the second half, the game clock will be restarted following a kickoff return, a player going out of bounds on a play from scrimmage, or after declined penalties when appropriate on the referee’s signal.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-13-2009, 05:29 PM
memo didn't even rly get a chance to get going in that game .. willie was on fire.. but if a team is dumb enough to give us a first or second for him.. i would take the pick and get better on the lines

According to UFN, Mewelde Moore is one of the top 15 RB's in the NFL, so I am sure somebody will give us a 1st round pick for a top 15 RB. I'd love to see that!!!

Nobody in the NFL would give up a 3rd round pick for him in 2007, but somebody is gonna give us a 1st round pick. That's a good one. :toofunny:

Dino 6 Rings
01-13-2009, 05:30 PM
I would guess they Keep Moore this off season, he's proven his value to the team, Davis or Russell will be in trouble, I think McHugh has shown his value blocking.

Davis may be the odd man out, especially with Mendenhall coming back next year.

Moore did a fantastic job on blitz pick up this past weekend, he did miss one read and block, but he was a stud on passing downs.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-13-2009, 05:40 PM
I would guess they Keep Moore this off season, he's proven his value to the team, Davis or Russell will be in trouble, I think McHugh has shown his value blocking.

Davis may be the odd man out, especially with Mendenhall coming back next year.

Moore did a fantastic job on blitz pick up this past weekend, he did miss one read and block, but he was a stud on passing downs.

I think we see Davis upgraded for sure, but I also think when Mendenhall comes back that Russell will be the odd man out. Maybe a FB like Conredge Collins from Pitt can be that lead blocker, receiver and even 3rd down back in front of McHugh.

Dino 6 Rings
01-13-2009, 05:41 PM
I think we see Davis upgraded for sure, but I also think when Mendenhall comes back that Russell will be the odd man out. Maybe a FB like Conredge Collins from Pitt can be that lead blocker, receiver and even 3rd down back in front of McHugh.

Heck yeah, I'll take Collins. 6' 230. Pretty solid fullback.

MasterOfPuppets
01-13-2009, 05:57 PM
Trading Moore might get a 3rd round pick or lower. The Vikings tried to shop him around for a 3rd round pick in 2007, but there were no takers then.

Why trade a valuable 3rd down receiver, complimentary RB and kick returner when you have him under contract for cheap?? The Steelers can use some of the $20mil in cap space to sign a D-lineman like Chris Canty and can get good young O linemen in the first 3 rounds of the draft.

Trading away a known asset for a 3rd round pick that could end up being Ricardo Colclough, Willie Reid, Trai Essex doesnt seem like a good idea to me. Bird in the hand is worth ........exactly.....canty would be a nice addition to the rotation, and eventually replace smith or kiesel. they could then focus on hamptons replacement.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-13-2009, 06:03 PM
exactly.....canty would be a nice addition to the rotation, and eventually replace smith or kiesel. they could then focus on hamptons replacement.

Yeah, we should be GM's. Canty replaces Kirshke, Roye is released, Conredge Collins is drafted in the 4th or 5th round to replace Davis. Then we still have a spare roster spot to maybe keep Russell around or use it on a designated KR.

I think our work here is done. :thumbsup:

UltimateFootballNetwork
01-13-2009, 06:51 PM
According to UFN, Mewelde Moore is one of the top 15 RB's in the NFL, so I am sure somebody will give us a 1st round pick for a top 15 RB. I'd love to see that!!!

Nobody in the NFL would give up a 3rd round pick for him in 2007, but somebody is gonna give us a 1st round pick. That's a good one. :toofunny: Lets not go putting words in anyones mouth.

I said Moore, like Michael Bush, has the talent to be a top 15 RB in the NFL. I never said anything about his trade value which you clearly do not understand. RBs have little to no trade value because of their short shelf life and he is way more valuable than his cap number and so the Steelers would never trade him anyway.

There are only about 5-6 RBs in the NFL who would attract a 1st round pick in a trade.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-13-2009, 07:06 PM

..... I wasnt putting words in your mouth. This is exactly what you said.

And son, I clearly understand trade value. Moore wasnt worth a 3rd last year to anybody, but 29 year old Corey Dillon was worth a 2nd in 2004. Dillon was maybe a top 15 RB then, but more like top 25.

The Duke
01-13-2009, 07:16 PM

How about a trade? They've been giving him those short yardage situation he's been fairly good at. And even some touchdowns. Some team can fall for it

Maybe the pats will take him, he's been better than maroney in some aspects of the game

MasterOfPuppets
01-13-2009, 07:21 PM
Yeah, we should be GM's. Canty replaces Kirshke, Roye is released, Conredge Collins is drafted in the 4th or 5th round to replace Davis. Then we still have a spare roster spot to maybe keep Russell around or use it on a designated KR.

I think our work here is done. :thumbsup:lets not forget drafting BJ Raji, or more realisticly, ron brace, and cutting hoke....<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VAs7UtO5-S4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VAs7UtO5-S4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-13-2009, 09:31 PM
Good call MOP.
Round #1 Duke Robinson
#2 Ron Brace
#3 Alex Boone
#3b Eric Wood
#4 Conredge Collins

Still not finding my LT in that though. I hope Okung comes out.

DACEB
01-14-2009, 07:00 AM
I think the clock starts again if you're outside of 5 minutes and run out of bounds, so we were able to eat clock.

yep...official rule
With the exception of the last two minutes of the first half and the last five minutes of the second half, the game clock will be restarted following a kickoff return, a player going out of bounds on a play from scrimmage, or after declined penalties when appropriate on the referee’s signal.

Yea, I know the clock starts again Dino. That's why I didn't mention the whole playclock. You still lose 10-15 sec. minimum per play.

Just sayin', every player has got to understand the circumstances.

UltimateFootballNetwork
01-14-2009, 06:44 PM
..... I wasnt putting words in your mouth. This is exactly what you said.

And son, I clearly understand trade value. Moore wasnt worth a 3rd last year to anybody, but 29 year old Corey Dillon was worth a 2nd in 2004. Dillon was maybe a top 15 RB then, but more like top 25. uh, yeah, and I said nothing about any trade value which is what you implied.

Even if a team would offer a 1st round pick for Moore (which they wouldnt), the Steelers would NEVER trade Moore given his value vs his cap charge.

And do everyone a favor and refrain from being a disrespectful Internet tough guy.

lilyoder6
01-14-2009, 06:53 PM
i am suprised that we don't use memo on the kickoff return.. we have russell and davis back there.. they can run but i would at least have some kind of speed back there

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-15-2009, 01:11 AM
And do everyone a favor and refrain from being a disrespectful Internet tough guy.
I think you are the proverbial pot calling the kettle black. Here are your posts below in which you call me shortsighted, foolish and imply I do not understand the concept of trade value.

And your dismissal of some of those players is shortsighted

Your selection of Rashard Mendenhall as their heir apparent is the foolish selection.

I never said anything about his trade value which you clearly do not understand.

And after all that you are somehow trying to state that Steelers gameplans will not work, when you have no idea of the internal gameplanning of the Steelers football team. As well you state that Michael Bush and Mewelde Moore are top 15 running backs talent wise, when the majority of football fans that do not rely soley on statistics would not even put them in the top 32, as neither of them is a starter on one of the 32 NFL teams.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-15-2009, 01:16 AM
Even after yesterday, Moore still has more yards from scrimmage this season than FWP. No need to be rah-rah about things...honesty is ok.

I also like the fact that anybody that is a FWP supporter you label as somehow being a dishonest rah-rah..............what ...cheerleader??

Its actually not about choosing one over the other, they are both Pittsburgh Steelers and both productive. The fact that the professional football coaches of the Steelers choose to start Parker over Moore should tell you that its the right thing to do.

I trust the decisions of Mike Tomlin, Bruce Arians, Kirby Wilson and the rest of the coaching staff over your DVOA or whatever you believe.

steelreserve
01-15-2009, 02:00 AM
I also like the fact that anybody that is a FWP supporter you label as somehow being a dishonest rah-rah..............what ...cheerleader??

Its actually not about choosing one over the other, they are both Pittsburgh Steelers and both productive. The fact that the professional football coaches of the Steelers choose to start Parker over Moore should tell you that its the right thing to do.

To be honest, for a while in the middle of the season, it did seem like rah-rah because Moore was IMO clearly outplaying Parker and showing some exciting new dimensions we hadn't seen for some time. Not to the point where he would solve all our problems, as we eventually saw, but he helped and using him more was the right call.

However, I completely agree that now is not the time for this. There are a limited number of things we can do in the space of the next three days, and switching running backs -- whether it's Moore for Parker or Parker for Moore -- is probably not going to be the defining move that wins the Super Bowl. We can sort all that shit out after the season, when we can do things like sign free agents, draft new linemen and practice different offensive schemes with different personnel. I'm sure we'll all have plenty to say then, and this subject will be a good one.

But right now in this week, even for people who think Parker sucks, he's almost certainly going to be the guy on the field at the start of Sunday's game. So all I will do is hope that he can keep his momentum and have another great game that flies in the face of all the non-believers -- myself included -- and that if he runs into trouble, the coaches come up with a good enough plan to get around it. I might be a skeptic about Parker in the long term, but our season is ONE GAME now. This week I want to see him tear through the defense like he has an "S" on his chest, and that's that. I hope he does.

#1LambertFan
01-15-2009, 09:03 AM
O-line impressed me far more than parker.

only one ball. personally, i would trade mendenhall to move up in the '09 draft.

Why. Dont you want another monsterous duo like the Steelers have always capitalized on. Harris & Bleier (4 superbowl), Bettis & Parker (1 superbowl). Well that and the fact that Pittsburgh rarely ever trades up.

Steel4eva
01-15-2009, 12:32 PM
Willie is going to have a BIG game on Sunday...mark my words!

UltimateFootballNetwork
01-15-2009, 01:38 PM
I think you are the proverbial pot calling the kettle black. Here are your posts below in which you call me shortsighted, foolish and imply I do not understand the concept of trade value.

And your dismissal of some of those players is shortsighted

Your selection of Rashard Mendenhall as their heir apparent is the foolish selection.

I never said anything about his trade value which you clearly do not understand.

And after all that you are somehow trying to state that Steelers gameplans will not work, when you have no idea of the internal gameplanning of the Steelers football team. As well you state that Michael Bush and Mewelde Moore are top 15 running backs talent wise, when the majority of football fans that do not rely soley on statistics would not even put them in the top 32, as neither of them is a starter on one of the 32 NFL teams. And I stand by those statements and never disrespected you by calling you son or some other personal insult.

To add to the foolish category, since you equate starting to being one of the 32 best RBs does that mean that Michael Turner was not one of the 32 best RBs in football last season? And I guess neither was Adrian Peterson who was not the starting RB in Minnesota most of last season. If you use logic like its safe to say thats foolish without that being an insult.

UltimateFootballNetwork
01-15-2009, 01:43 PM
To be honest, for a while in the middle of the season, it did seem like rah-rah because Moore was IMO clearly outplaying Parker and showing some exciting new dimensions we hadn't seen for some time. Not to the point where he would solve all our problems, as we eventually saw, but he helped and using him more was the right call.

However, I completely agree that now is not the time for this. There are a limited number of things we can do in the space of the next three days, and switching running backs -- whether it's Moore for Parker or Parker for Moore -- is probably not going to be the defining move that wins the Super Bowl. We can sort all that shit out after the season, when we can do things like sign free agents, draft new linemen and practice different offensive schemes with different personnel. I'm sure we'll all have plenty to say then, and this subject will be a good one.

But right now in this week, even for people who think Parker sucks, he's almost certainly going to be the guy on the field at the start of Sunday's game. So all I will do is hope that he can keep his momentum and have another great game that flies in the face of all the non-believers -- myself included -- and that if he runs into trouble, the coaches come up with a good enough plan to get around it. I might be a skeptic about Parker in the long term, but our season is ONE GAME now. This week I want to see him tear through the defense like he has an "S" on his chest, and that's that. I hope he does. So here is where I disagree.

The path to the Super Bowl goes through the Ravens and probably Eagles. Both of those teams have great, attacking defenses. No matter how much or little you choose to use FWP, making use of a RB who catches the ball like a WR should be an important part of a game plan. Active use of screens and swing passes, or splitting a RB out as a plain receiver would go a LONG way towards neutralizing attacking/blitzing LBers and that is Moores strong point, not FWPs.

Again, I think 25+ carries to FWP between the tackles is a poor gameplan at any time, and particularly vs the remaining defenses and this is a simple change to make. Interesting to hear reports of a unique gameplan being drawn up, so we will have to see.

The_WARDen
01-15-2009, 01:55 PM
i am suprised that we don't use memo on the kickoff return.. we have russell and davis back there.. they can run but i would at least have some kind of speed back there

I am baffled by that every kickoff. Are we the only team that has a fullback returning kicks?

Steel4eva
01-15-2009, 02:07 PM
I am baffled by that every kickoff. Are we the only team that has a fullback returning kicks?

who is memo? seriously, we need somebody back there with some SPEED!

xlchamps
01-15-2009, 02:07 PM
Put it this way, he ran 116 yrds in the cleveland game, and 146 yrds in the chargers game, so past 2 games ran it for 50 times for 262 yrds thats an avg of 5.2 yrds a carries, yea...no hes pretti much a great rb when healthy. But im waiting on to see if he can run a 100 yrds aginst raven and if he does then no doubt hes a great rb.

steelreserve
01-15-2009, 02:34 PM
So here is where I disagree.

The path to the Super Bowl goes through the Ravens and probably Eagles. Both of those teams have great, attacking defenses. No matter how much or little you choose to use FWP, making use of a RB who catches the ball like a WR should be an important part of a game plan. Active use of screens and swing passes, or splitting a RB out as a plain receiver would go a LONG way towards neutralizing attacking/blitzing LBers and that is Moores strong point, not FWPs.

Again, I think 25+ carries to FWP between the tackles is a poor gameplan at any time, and particularly vs the remaining defenses and this is a simple change to make. Interesting to hear reports of a unique gameplan being drawn up, so we will have to see.

Basically, the way I'm looking at it is, we probably get something like 60 offensive plays to either make it to the Super Bowl or not. Parker's almost certainly going to be the starter and there's nothing I can do about it. Strictly as a fan, I'm hoping that whatever scheme we use works and we don't end up wasting 15 or so of those plays figuring out that we need to adjust. He's capable of having a good game, so whatever the odds are, that's what I'm hoping for strictly as a fan. The overall starter question for next season can be dealt with next season.

Yes, I hope our gameplan involves Moore and a lot of the things you talked about. Having said that, it'll probably also involve Parker running up the middle. All I'll be doing is hoping that even those plays work. At this point, all I can do is put my fan hat on and hope that everyone plays their best. It is, as they say, in God's hands now.