PDA

View Full Version : Amazing what a good O-Line produces.

T.Richardson
01-11-2009, 07:50 PM
FWP rushing for 140 yds 2 TD - People thought he was done...:doh:

Ben goes 17-26 for 180 yds 1 Td no turnovers - People thought he sucked :doh:

Arians playcalling, not running the ball enough to pass happy. Parker rushes 26 times, Ben throws 26 times, perfect balance, Offense busts out 35 points. - Oh wait, Arians sucks :doh:

ricksteelers55
01-11-2009, 08:16 PM
That is what we were saying dude...RUN THE BALL and the offense will improve.

and funny how a good running game improve the O....

if we can run against the ravens we will be ok

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-11-2009, 09:25 PM
So now the O-line is suddenly good?????

I thought it was the worst Steelers in history? Everybody climb on the bandwagon for another week, then get ready to throw them under the bus again.

Dojo Chargerfan
01-11-2009, 09:30 PM
I actually loved the blitz scheme the Chargers ran. The Steelers OLine played healthy and together. They really stepped up. Ben had all day. Not only that but Fast Willy's best friends are the hogs in front of him and they didn't let him down.

Dr. Steel
01-11-2009, 09:35 PM
Its funny how a healthy Willie Parker improves the running game. Anybody with half a brain could tell all season for the most part that Fast Willie wasn't 100 percent. This was the best I have seen Parker run since 2006. He was very good last year but today he looked like the back that had a great year in 2006.

As for the offensive line. They played really well today and I think them getting sync as a unit is a big reason for the improvement. Really the Steelers have four new starters among the OL from last year after Simmons went down earlier in the year. Max Starks filled in for a couple games last year at LT. But Marvel Smith was the starter this year at LT and Starks had to replace him once again after Smith went down with injury.

When you have that many new starters along the offensive line its going to take time for the unit to come together as one. The only thing that drives me nuts about the OL is the stupid false start penalties at home.

Preacher
01-11-2009, 09:43 PM
That is what we were saying dude...RUN THE BALL and the offense will improve.

and funny how a good running game improve the O....

if we can run against the ravens we will be ok

Nope.

You are wrong, because we have been balanced ALL YEAR.

We have passed the ball 52 percent of the time and ran the ball 48 percent of the time. That is balance. Especially when you remember that we have had to come from behind to win games.

So why did the offense look so much better today?

2 reasons. Willie Parker and Ben Roethlisberger. The way they played, they put the defense on their heels. They also came out running the I formation and smacked the D in the mouth. Then, they went wide off that.

So no, it wasn't the fact that they started running. It was the fact that the RB and QB are finally healthy, at the same time. And the Line decided to show up and play.

stillers4me
01-11-2009, 09:44 PM

I thought it was the worst Steelers in history? Everybody climb on the bandwagon for another week, then get ready to throw them under the bus again.

It only took them 18 games.

Steeldude
01-11-2009, 09:51 PM
this one game does not mean the O-line is good. the O-line is clearly in need of upgrades. yes, they played very well today, but what about the next game and the next game and so on..? you need positive consistency in an O-line.

FWP rushing for 140 yds 2 TD - People thought he was done

then using that logic you must feel that if parker sucks next week he is done. right?

when the O-line opens big holes then most any RB in the NFL will get yards. i am a strong believer in the O-line being what makes the running game work, not the RB. unless the RB is barry sanders :smile:

don't get me wrong, parker played very well today. some of those runs were due to his speed, but the majority were the result of the O-line.

steelpride12
01-11-2009, 09:52 PM
Good protection, and a developed run game with 0 turnovers will always equal a win!

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-11-2009, 09:52 PM
Nope.

You are wrong, because we have been balanced ALL YEAR.

We have passed the ball 52 percent of the time and ran the ball 48 percent of the time. That is balance. Especially when you remember that we have had to come from behind to win games.

So why did the offense look so much better today?

2 reasons. Willie Parker and Ben Roethlisberger. The way they played, they put the defense on their heels. They also came out running the I formation and smacked the D in the mouth. Then, they went wide off that.

So no, it wasn't the fact that they started running. It was the fact that the RB and QB are finally healthy, at the same time. And the Line decided to show up and play. Sorry to disagree Preacher, but the Offense actually came out and ran the football from a single back formation for most of the first half. They only sprinkled in a few I-formation sets.

They also had 27 pass attempts and 42 Rushing attempts. Not exactly 48:52% ratio. I think we all saw the game similarly and the Steelers came out and ran the football to get themselves in manageable 3rd down situations. Ben did nothing extraordinary, but he played smart and managed the football. He played a textbook game of what he needs to do to win.

the O line opened the holes and Arians-Zeirline have to get credit for exploiting the "bubble " in the Chargers 3-4 defense. Good game, but physical running game setup the pass and controlled the clock.

eden
01-12-2009, 12:34 AM
ilike the stats willie had close to 800yds and was out five games add in his average for the five and he is there with the best of the best also give him the ball on the outside with a fullback 38 to block 7pts:tt:

Preacher
01-12-2009, 12:56 AM
Sorry to disagree Preacher, but the Offense actually came out and ran the football from a single back formation for most of the first half. They only sprinkled in a few I-formation sets.

They also had 27 pass attempts and 42 Rushing attempts. Not exactly 48:52% ratio. I think we all saw the game similarly and the Steelers came out and ran the football to get themselves in manageable 3rd down situations. Ben did nothing extraordinary, but he played smart and managed the football. He played a textbook game of what he needs to do to win.

the O line opened the holes and Arians-Zeirline have to get credit for exploiting the "bubble " in the Chargers 3-4 defense. Good game, but physical running game setup the pass and controlled the clock.

I seem to remember a number of runs from the I right in the beginning... I'll have to go back into the gameday thread to check it out, because I rmeember commenting on it.

As far as the balance goes, I think there WAS a balance for the first three quarters. Then Tomlin takes the air out of the ball in the 4th quarter. Not only that, but we had a number plays (at least 6-7 plays that were one yard or less runs for first downs or touchdowns (well, attempts). Those are going to be run plays where both teams expect it. So no, the overall stats weren't like they were through the year... but it was still very balanced.

BTW, the 48-52 stat was actually because someone was saying we were basically pass happy. I was just showing that we were never pass happy.

LVSteelersfan
01-12-2009, 01:17 AM
Sorry to be a naysayer about the O-line, but you all do realize we played a poor defense today don't you? Don't count on those holes opening up again against the Ravens. San Diego had the 21st ranked defense in the league this year. I love what the O-line did today . Lets just hope it wasn't a fluke against a bad team.

JackHammer
01-12-2009, 01:27 AM
Sorry to be a naysayer about the O-line, but you all do realize we played a poor defense today don't you? Don't count on those holes opening up again against the Ravens. San Diego had the 21st ranked defense in the league this year. I love what the O-line did today . Lets just hope it wasn't a fluke against a bad team.

I'd have to agree with this, BUT I don't think anyone, who is even the least bit familiar with this rivalry, believes the AFCCG is going to be an easy outing for the O-line. We're prepared for an ugly, defensive slug fest.

MasterOfPuppets
01-12-2009, 01:34 AM

I thought it was the worst Steelers in history? Everybody climb on the bandwagon for another week, then get ready to throw them under the bus again.your only as good (or bad) as your last game.....:chuckle: ....i've gotta go change my mock....we don't need OLINE we need CB's....those bums gave up 300yds....:laughing:

Preacher
01-12-2009, 01:47 AM
your only as good (or bad) as your last game.....:chuckle: ....i've gotta go change my mock....we don't need OLINE we need CB's....those bums gave up 300yds....:laughing:

:buttkick:

markymarc
01-12-2009, 07:10 AM
No question the OL stepped up big time for the game yesterday. Kudos to them and hopefully they can put at least 1 more good game together. I will also say this, it's amazing what a running game can do for your offense. And of course FWP looked amazing. Glad that he is healthy at the right time. And I am sure Tomlin had a few conversations with Arians last week about getting back to the running game. Good stuff.

eden
01-12-2009, 06:38 PM
rumor has it troy had a virus and was very sick he is great to just be out there but i am sure that did not help covrage all in all i think we are spoiled fans are team is awesome if they hicup we feel bad go steelers :hatsoff:

Ravengirl
01-12-2009, 06:43 PM
The OL did a great job in protecting Ben last night, but it was a Chargers defense without Merriman and a bunch of guys who just don't pass rush. The Steelers are a very good team, but the OL will definitely be tested this weekend.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-12-2009, 06:51 PM
your only as good (or bad) as your last game.....:chuckle: ....i've gotta go change my mock....we don't need OLINE we need CB's....those bums gave up 300yds....:laughing:

:rofl:

welder4pit
01-12-2009, 07:54 PM
It only took them 18 games.But what a time to start playing well. Keep it going 2 more games:tt03:

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-12-2009, 09:38 PM

Actually, I think the Chargers defense had been playing better down the stretch. Honestly, their LB's are not as good as the Ravens, but their D line of Castillo, Williams, Olshansky I believe is better than Ngata, Pryce and Bannan.

The Steelers ran the ball right at those big guys up front, but the Ravens LB's will fill the holes better. A NFL coach once said "at the end of the game you can usually figure out who wants to play another 15 minutes of football and who doesnt. I bet the Steelers O line would play and extra frame and the Chargers just wanted the pounding to stop.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-13-2009, 12:57 AM
I rewatched the game (fun thing to do) and isolated a bit on the O line, some play design and stuff.

I have to say that Kemo blocked like an animal. Hartwig and Stapleton doubled Williams most of the time with Stapleton sliding off to then get the LB. Stapleton is my goat of the line, but he really played a good game. Miller and Spaeth blocked like angry men as did Colon.

The Steelers also did what I hoped in running to the right with Stapleton getting on the LB and both Kemo and Miller pulling from the left side to lead block for Parker. I LOVE THAT PLAY !!!

Ben made the throws when he needed to, Holmes has great hands and even Nate was clutch. Great game, its over, now onto the Ratfinks.