PDA

View Full Version : Steelers vs. Chargers - Who Gets YOUR Game Ball?

HometownGal
01-11-2009, 06:51 PM
This week's game ball goes to the ENTIRE team from the coaches to the players! Every single one of our guys played their hearts out and played 60 minutes of Pittsburgh Steelers football. :applaudit::hatsoff::tt03:

Ben - you silenced all the critics today - even fans on this board - and played a career game! :drink:

FWP - you also silenced your critics and the haters - great job buddy! :drink:

OL - you silenced ME - a critic most of this season - and came through! You guys were just awesome today! :drink:

Coach Arians - you called a great game and I think some of your haters are going to end up with a nice juicy :egg: :drink:

Steelers D - what else can I say? You are the undisputed #1 D in the NFL! What a tremendous performance by each and every one of you! :drink:

ST's - you, too, brought your A game today! :drink:

Santo - you played a WOW of a game all the way around! :drink:

Hines, Nate, Heath - guys - you all contributed hugely to the success of the Steelers O today and we're blessed to have all of you wearing the black 'n gold! :drink:

Last but not least - Coach T. Congrats on winning your first playoff game! You outcoached and outsmarted a very experienced and very good HC - the Rooneys knew exactly what they were doing when they hired you to coach our Steelers and I hope you are our HC for an eternity! :drink:

Congrats Steelers - you're hosting the AFCC next week against the Rats! :tt02::tt02:

I am SO DAMNED proud of all of you! :drink::tt:

T.Richardson
01-11-2009, 06:53 PM
the whole team!

Polamalu43
01-11-2009, 06:54 PM
BEN

fwp

ol

HOLMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GridironWarrior
01-11-2009, 06:54 PM
The Oline and Parker.

fansince'76
01-11-2009, 06:55 PM
OL, Ben, and Parker.

The Duke
01-11-2009, 06:56 PM
Oline

and willie

T.Richardson
01-11-2009, 06:56 PM
The Oline and Parker.

who would've guessed it, Ben gets NO love when the Steelers win, even though he threw 0 ints, turn the ball over 0 times, and Threw a TD, and managed the game...

SteelCityMom
01-11-2009, 07:00 PM
I would go with Ben or Willie, they had their best games of the season.....the whole team played lights out so it's hard to just pick one!

GodofGridiron
01-11-2009, 07:02 PM
Aww come on ...........stop griping Pro-Benny's and Anti-Bennys.........everybody looked good but you cant deny this Oline looked like the Oline from 2005. The holes they created, Franco could still run thru those.

Great game for everyone.....including the waterboys.

Only gripe i have is the refs still found a way to screw a call.

Lets play this way vs Baltimore and hopefully book reservations to Tampa.

Texasteel
01-11-2009, 07:04 PM
Got to be Ben or Willie. I'm going for Ben.

steelersfanman92
01-11-2009, 07:04 PM
I give it to the Oline and Ben

but everyone played great they played one heck of a game

Lock Down
01-11-2009, 07:06 PM
Have to agree, game ball to the entire team, a professional performance. Have to give a special mention to the O-Line though, have they had a better game all season? way to step up & Ben was simply awesome.

Edman
01-11-2009, 07:06 PM
The Whole team put down a complete game when it counts. Way to go Steelers! The whole team gets a game ball! Only home team to win this week! Ben, way to hang in there and not lose the game! I was worried about him, but he played a helluva game!

Lets get ready for Ratbird trolls this week.

X-Terminator
01-11-2009, 07:07 PM
The OL picked the right time to have their best game of the season. Outstanding job by everyone on that line.

Ben also gets props for managing the game well and making plays when needed.

Willie Parker shuts up the haters...this week. I expect them to be out in full force again if he struggles next week. Great performance and congrats on his first 100-yard game in the postseason.

All in all, well played game from top to bottom.

And I was worried...why?

HometownGal
01-11-2009, 07:12 PM
The OL picked the right time to have their best game of the season. Outstanding job by everyone on that line.

Ben also gets props for managing the game well and making plays when needed.

Willie Parker shuts up the haters...this week. I expect them to be out in full force again if he struggles next week. Great performance and congrats on his first 100-yard game in the postseason.

All in all, well played game from top to bottom.

And I was worried...why?

Ahem . . . . . . . .

http://jonreid.blogs.com/oneanother/eat-crow.jpg

:chuckle::flap:

GBMelBlount
01-11-2009, 07:15 PM
Great job Ben! He really pulled off some nice 3rd & longs!

MACH1
01-11-2009, 07:16 PM
The O-Line gets my game ball!

Steelers-dk
01-11-2009, 07:17 PM
I would say Parker because he is so important in the attack. :hatsoff:

But I also visually Big Ben played well.:helmet:

good night here from Denmark at 02.15 :drink:

Go steelers:tt03:

Hines0wnz
01-11-2009, 07:19 PM
Willie Parker, if only to keep annoying the resident anti-Willie trolls on this board.

Their absence was noted today and will be used against them, again, in the future. :hatsoff:

X-Terminator
01-11-2009, 07:19 PM
Ahem . . . . . . . .

http://jonreid.blogs.com/oneanother/eat-crow.jpg

:chuckle::flap:

Tastes good! :eat:

Though I never said the Steelers would lose, just that I had a bad feeling about it. How could I not, given what I'd seen this season with the offense and the other 3 home teams going down this weekend?

VTsteel
01-11-2009, 07:20 PM
This week's game ball goes to the ENTIRE team from the coaches to the players! Every single one of our guys played their hearts out and played 60 minutes of Pittsburgh Steelers football. :applaudit::hatsoff::tt03:

Ben - you silenced all the critics today - even fans on this board - and played a career game! :drink:

OL - you silenced ME - a critic most of this season - and came through! You guys were just awesome today! :drink:

Coach Arians - you called a great game and I think some of your haters are going to end up with a nice juicy :egg: :drink:

Steelers D - what else can I say? You are the undisputed #1 D in the NFL! What a tremendous performance by each and every one of you! :drink:

Hines, Nate, Heath - guys - you all contributed hugely to the success of the Steelers O today and we're blessed to have all of you wearing the black 'n gold! :drink:

Last but not least - Coach T. Congrats on winning your first playoff game! You outcoached and outsmarted a very experienced and very good HC - the Rooneys knew exactly what they were doing when they hired you to coach our Steelers and I hope you are our HC for an eternity! :drink:

Congrats Steelers - you're hosting the AFCC next week against the Rats! :tt02::tt02:

. . . I think I got a tear in my eye

I couldn't say it better myself!

Neil-Still-Rules-14
01-11-2009, 07:21 PM
Oline, Ben, Willie.

Especially Oline. They were the key today, and led to the re-emergence of the Ben and Willie we all remember.

GodofGridiron
01-11-2009, 07:28 PM
I think Santonio's punt return set a tone for this team all the way around. That was a huge shot in the arm and i bet it just keyed everyone elses ignition to amp the intensity that much more. That was right on time.......

cubanstogie
01-11-2009, 07:37 PM
Oline, Ben, Willie.

Especially Oline. They were the key today, and led to the re-emergence of the Ben and Willie we all remember.

you hit the nail on the head there, you can't pick one without giving the other 2 an assist. Ben played within himself and converted huge 3rd downs, Willie ran with aggression and speed, and the line opened up holes and protected Ben nicely. For once the offense outplayed the defense, well maybe it was close.

cubanstogie
01-11-2009, 07:40 PM
We could've finally given Sweed part of the game ball but he dropped his only chance. Poor guy is the only one who lost confidence after this game.

Dino 6 Rings
01-11-2009, 07:40 PM
I'll have to watch the replay this week on NFL Network to figure it out. Woodley had a really good game on defense, Harrison was held all day, but he was in on some big plays too, The secondary let me down a little, but Ike played well after giving up that big TD.

Ben did exactly what he needed to do, made plays on 3rd when he had to. Willie ran like a beast all day. Russell was a little lacking on his touches, but made a huge play to get us a first on a rush.

Heck...HTG is right...the entire TEAM gets the game ball!

WOOHOO!!!!

X-Terminator
01-11-2009, 07:44 PM
I think Santonio's punt return set a tone for this team all the way around. That was a huge shot in the arm and i bet it just keyed everyone elses ignition to amp the intensity that much more. That was right on time.......

That was a HUGE play after the Chargers easily scored on their opening drive, and the timing couldn't have been better. It quickly tempered any momentum the Bolts had and after that, the Steelers slowly started to take over the game and really put it away in the second half.

welder4pit
01-11-2009, 07:44 PM
OL, Ben, and Parker.:thumbsup: :drink:

Dino 6 Rings
01-11-2009, 07:45 PM
Per PPG

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09011/941186-100.stm

Willie Parker scored two touchdowns and rushed for a season-high 146 yards, the third most in Steelers playoff history and the most since Franco Harris had 153 vs. the Baltimore Colts in 1975.

Most rushing yards since Franco in 1975.

RoethlisBURGHer
01-11-2009, 07:47 PM
Ben and Willie

Ben played great football and Parker is BAAAAAAAAACK!

Polamalu Princess
01-11-2009, 07:50 PM
Polamalu is my man, but Ben is my 2nd man, so I have to say 100% BEN! This is the Ben that we all fell in love with a few years ago!!!!! Pittsbughs going to the Super Bowl!!!! I bet Myron has a huge grin on his face and is cracking silly jokes in Heaven right now!

stillers4me
01-11-2009, 07:56 PM
We could've finally given Sweed part of the game ball but he dropped his only chance. Poor guy is the only one who lost confidence after this game.

That's because that wasn't football he tried to catch. It was one of Byron's laser guided missles. :sofunny:

I was thrilled to see Willie and the oline return to form. Thanks, Bruce, for bringing Steeler football back to town. May it live long and prosper! :drink:

FSUBoo
01-11-2009, 08:06 PM
I'd say it goes in this order:
Willie
Ben
Santonio
OL
D

devilsdancefloor
01-11-2009, 08:08 PM
id have to say the Oline! they have been the goat of the years so far and stepped up and gave been all day to throw and huge running lanes for willie

Nighthawk
01-11-2009, 08:10 PM
I give it to the O-Line.. With out them today Ben and FWP don't make it look so easy (not saying they still wouldn't get it done... But after all this is the game ball - so to me it goes to them.

KYMDFAN
01-11-2009, 08:10 PM
Okay maybe I shouldn't put my two cents in this thread but watching that game I'm going to anyways.

Santonio Holmes should because when the Charges scored and had to momentum, Holmes put them back in their place. I think the Steelers played very well today but Holmes jump started it all....

PisnNapalm
01-11-2009, 08:15 PM
After much consideration.... I give my game ball to the O-line. Here's why.

They pass blocked well today. One sack allowed. They run blocked well too. The offense controlled the tempo of the game today rather than our defense.

Our defense played lights out football, but our offense did not make any costly mistakes and dominated time of possession.

I give this win to the O-line. Well done.

KeiselPower99
01-11-2009, 08:21 PM
The O line for sure. They opened holes for Willie and allowed Ben time to throw.

Preacher
01-11-2009, 08:21 PM
I gotta agree with everyone...

Willie, Ben, and the O Line.

Arians. Beautifully called game. I don't know if Tomlin horse-collared you to run more I-formation, but it worked really well. It also opened up the 3 wide runs as well.

Steeldude
01-11-2009, 08:28 PM
most, if not all, of the time i give it to the team. if i had to specify one group or player that deserves it, i will go with the O-line. they gave good protection and opened huge holes for the RBs. sure parker played well, but without the holes he would be a non-issue.

i hope the O-line can play like this next week. the chargers' defense is nothing compared to the ravens

Lukebok5150
01-11-2009, 08:34 PM
The O-Line, Awesome job boys!!!http://media.photobucket.com/image/pittsburgh%20steelers/j455k/Pittsburgh%20Steelers/asswhoopin.gif?o=83

BozMan
01-11-2009, 08:37 PM
Parker and Holmes

SteelersinCA
01-11-2009, 08:40 PM
When Parker started running, I knew it was over.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-11-2009, 08:40 PM
Parker ran with purpose and finished his runs well........but, there were holes for him made by the O line, including the TE's.

funny that because of the win, nobody is complaining about Colon's penalty for lining up too far back. Just in case any care.......the very next play he stoned Phillips as retribution.

devilsdancefloor
01-11-2009, 08:41 PM
most, if not all, of the time i give it to the team. if i had to specify one group or player that deserves it, i will go with the O-line. they gave good protection and opened huge holes for the RBs. sure parker played well, but without the holes he would be a non-issue.
i hope the O-line can play like this next week. the chargers' defense is nothing compared to the ravens

isnt that true with EVERY RB that has ever put on a uniform? I think you where so looking forward to coming here tonight to bash, but we won and you cant.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-11-2009, 08:42 PM
the chargers' defense is nothing compared to the ravens Actually, I think Williams, Castillo, Olshansky are better than the Ravens front 3........its the LB's that are much better in Baltimore.

O line gets the game ball. (Spaeth made some huge blocks too)

Dojo Chargerfan
01-11-2009, 08:44 PM
On the surface I would say Parker, but the Oline dominated throughout the game. They were the one's opening up the holes for Willy. They kept the pass rush off of Ben. They get my MVP's. The Oline played outstanding.

And don't forget the Chargers don't suck against the run.

JanBr7
01-11-2009, 08:46 PM
It could be a lot of them, but I'm going with Ben because there was so much doubt about him going into the game, and he really did exactly what he needed to do.

FWP gets my second vote -- way to get it in gear! And like you guys said, the O-line just ruled. What a great game!

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
01-11-2009, 08:48 PM
Willie had room to run
Big Ben had all day to throw....

The game ball goes the the OFFENSIVE LINE (wow)

Preacher
01-11-2009, 08:53 PM
Willie had room to run
Big Ben had all day to throw....

The game ball goes the the OFFENSIVE LINE (wow)

I understand exactly what your saying. What an improvement. But then I have to ask, was the fact that Willie was gashing them in the beginning helping the O line? Was the quick passes forcing 7 and 8 people dropping off into coverage?

Maybe we just divide the ball into 11 pieces and give everyone on the offense a piece?

Steeldude
01-11-2009, 08:57 PM
I think you where so looking forward to coming here tonight to bash, but we won and you cant.

more mindless banter from a lemming. care to back your statement? or would you rather run away with your tail between your legs. your choice?

isnt that true with EVERY RB that has ever put on a uniform?

exactly. i see you are getting it. good job.

Leftoverhard
01-11-2009, 09:06 PM
Big Ben, Willie and Arians (and the entire O line).
Thank you for proving all of your critics wrong. Thank you for carrying the game and letting the D have a break. Thank you for doing your jobs better than anyone expected.

Leftoverhard
01-11-2009, 09:06 PM
Oh, and thank you for winning - my begging and pleading to have today off work wasn't in vain.

Preacher
01-11-2009, 09:08 PM
Oh, and thank you for winning - my begging and pleading to have today off work wasn't in vain.

You got the day off? Cool!

But the question is now. . . how are you going to get NEXT Sunday off?

43Hitman
01-11-2009, 09:09 PM
the whole team gets the game ball from me. It was a great collective effort.

Steeldude
01-11-2009, 10:39 PM
the whole team gets the game ball from me. It was a great collective effort.

i agree, but i decided to give it to the O-line because of their poor play this season :smile:

lambertlunaticfan
01-12-2009, 12:11 AM
i think the offensive line did good,so id give the offense ball to them and i think brett keisel had a good game,so my defensive ball goes to him.....:tt:

jev7452
01-12-2009, 12:16 AM
amazinggg win!!! being able to put in our back up in the playoffs says a lot!!! pittsburgh #1 seed in the nfl right now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Leftoverhard
01-12-2009, 12:35 AM
You got the day off? Cool!

But the question is now. . . how are you going to get NEXT Sunday off?

Already got the day off - wooo!

Preacher
01-12-2009, 12:36 AM
Already got the day off - wooo!

:thumbsup:

steelreserve
01-12-2009, 12:56 AM
I've got to give it to Parker. Didn't see it coming, but man, what a performance. Finally, the kind of breakout game in the playoffs we'd been waiting for. Just keep it up for two more games!

PAMillerGrrl83
01-12-2009, 12:57 AM
Im gonna go with dividing it into three equal halves. Ben, O-Line and Willie P.

markymarc
01-12-2009, 06:12 AM
I would have to hand out 4 game balls. FWP for giving us a running game and looking quick and decisive. The OL for opening up holes for FWP and protecting Ben all day. Ben for coming back from a concussion and playing very well. And Lamar Woodley for having 2 big sacks in the game and a great hit on Sproles.

TackleMeBen
01-12-2009, 06:37 AM
man this is a hard one ..

coach tomlin for winning his first playoff game.

the oline for protecting ben and giving him time to do what he does best

the defense- as usual

but i think i am going to have to go with ben b/c he punted, he blocked and played qb, but can someone please teach that man how to dress for interviews...lol:wink02::sofunny:

DACEB
01-12-2009, 06:47 AM
The O-line without a doubt. They set the tone early on providing good blocking allowing Ben to settle into the game.

The O-line has been criticized all season long, and they've obviously been working hard and it showed.

Kudos to Coach T for pulling it all together.

SteelMember
01-12-2009, 07:56 AM

Definately. Team Win.

Now, after all those drinks, I'm a little light headed and need to find the restroom. :chuckle:

I Got a Feeling...

Michael Keller
01-12-2009, 08:07 AM
I amazed I am stating this :

THE OFFENSIVE LINE, wow that felt good!!

Jammer
01-12-2009, 08:16 AM
Foote for his int... change the momentum and the game!

filthyfan
01-12-2009, 08:25 AM

Agree...but the most common denomenator of all those accolades goes to the OL...they dealt....and dealt with an attitude. I have yet to see that level of rush and pass blocking all year....wow....tremendous job.
AND....OH BTW....is anybody else just totally freakin insanely angry about the no calls on the blatant holding penalties on Harrison?? I was ready to choke the ref last night at one point. What is their PROBLEM?? arrrgghhhh!!!!:banging:

TackleMeBen
01-12-2009, 08:27 AM
AND....OH BTW....is anybody else just totally freakin insanely angry about the no calls on the blatant holding penalties on Harrison?? I was ready to choke the ref last night at one point. What is their PROBLEM?? arrrgghhhh!!!!:banging:
YES!!!!!!!!!!! i was screaming where is the flag, i told my daughter stevie wonder could have seen that hold.

markymarc
01-12-2009, 09:59 AM

Unfortunately I have given up all hope for a hold being called on James Harrison the rest of this year. What's really crazy is those holding plays are so blatant and obvious yet he gets no respect. DPOY and still gets no love from the officials. It really is disgusting.

Stlrs4Life
01-12-2009, 10:06 AM
OL. Willie a close second.

steelpride12
01-12-2009, 10:13 AM
YES!!!!!!!!!!! i was screaming where is the flag, i told my daughter stevie wonder could have seen that hold.

The whole crowd was screaming after the no call. He tackled Harrison to the ground and nothing unreal!

Player of the game was the O-line. They held San diego to just one sack early in the game and they created running room for Parker as well as time for Ben to step up plant and deliver the ball. They won the game for the Steelers Sunday.

SteelerFanInATL
01-12-2009, 10:34 AM
O-Line. When the the o-line plays well, Willie can run the ball. When the o-line plays well Ben has time to find receivers and throw the ball. We know Willie is Fast. We know Ben is Better than what we have seen the past two years. When the o-line does what an o-line does then we are a great team. GREAT GAME O-LINE!!!!!!!!!!

vasteeler
01-12-2009, 10:44 AM
probably been said but I give the game ball to Bruce Arians

klick81
01-12-2009, 10:45 AM

Can't really say it much better than that.

Ben really came back with a vengeance after the injury. What a great game he had.

Willie is BACK!

The o-line had an amazing game...Ben had time!

And the D? I mean...come on. One stinkin play in the 3rd quarter, and it was a turnover! What can you say about this team?

TackleMeBen
01-12-2009, 11:04 AM
probably been said but I give the game ball to Bruce Arians
ssshhhhhhhhh!! you cant say that.. we all want him fired at the end of the season remember:chuckle::wink02:

HometownGal
01-12-2009, 12:18 PM
ssshhhhhhhhh!! you cant say that.. we all want him fired at the end of the season remember:chuckle::wink02:

Maybe YOU. Not WE.

memphissteelergirl
01-12-2009, 12:34 PM

Well said! This win was a TEAM Effort!
Now let's keep the momentum up! The Ratbirds will be gunnin' for us!

GO STEELERS!

TackleMeBen
01-13-2009, 10:56 AM
Maybe YOU. Not WE.
i was going by all the post we have had about firing him...:chuckle:

Rotorhead
01-13-2009, 11:20 AM
This is a difficult one, Ben, FWP, Oline . . . def . . . has to be the entire team! That was almost a perfect game.

Steely McSmash
01-13-2009, 11:32 AM
O-line all the way.

I'm so happy about their play. If they're capable of that kind of performance consitently, nobody can touch the Steelers.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
01-13-2009, 06:52 PM
I understand exactly what your saying. What an improvement. But then I have to ask, was the fact that Willie was gashing them in the beginning helping the O line? Was the quick passes forcing 7 and 8 people dropping off into coverage?

Maybe we just divide the ball into 11 pieces and give everyone on the offense a piece?

Maybe its just that the steelers had the toughest schedule....(maybe every...according to espn)..... and nothing in the playoffs is going to phase them...

They are battle tested.....

Preacher
01-13-2009, 07:01 PM
Maybe its just that the steelers had the toughest schedule....(maybe every...according to espn)..... and nothing in the playoffs is going to phase them...

They are battle tested.....

:noidea:

Very well could be. Though a number of people here took pain-staking effort every week to explain to us why that weeks defense wasn't good enough to earn praise for Arians, Willie, and Ben.

Stover4Prez
01-13-2009, 07:09 PM
I'd have to say the Chargers dude who headed the punt back to you in the second half and then got pass interference in the endzone on a 40+ yard pass. He was playing quite well for you!

tony hipchest
01-13-2009, 07:33 PM
eric weddle? he had a lame "playoff beard".

actually mitch berger was aiming for his head. i say we give it to our punter (he looked as good as the flavor of the week- scifres).

Galax Steeler
01-13-2009, 07:36 PM
It would be hard for me to give it to just one person Parker played very well the offensive line only gave up one sack the deffense played very well so props to all of the steelers.

markymarc
01-14-2009, 05:57 AM
O-line all the way.

I'm so happy about their play. If they're capable of that kind of performance consitently, nobody can touch the Steelers.

I totally agree. They are really going to be tested on Sunday. It would be great to see them have back to back great games.