PDA

View Full Version : Brandon Jacobs a Steeler

SteelCurtainII
01-11-2009, 09:49 PM
New member :wave:

Brandon Jacobs will be an unrestricted free agent at the end of this season. Although unlikely does anyone else feel that Brandon Jacobs would fit in nicely along side Willie Parker. A Black and Gold Smash and Dash.

fansince'76
01-11-2009, 09:51 PM
Isn't that why we drafted Mendenhall? :noidea:

Welcome to the board! :cheers:

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-11-2009, 10:00 PM
:yawn:

Steel_Bus_24
01-11-2009, 10:04 PM
Id rather our money be spent on upgrading our O-Line

Jacobs is a beast though

jjpro11
01-11-2009, 10:06 PM
parker is still a pro bowler when healthy, mendenhall will be a good one, moore is as good they come on 3rd downs and out of shotgun, and russell is very well capable of picking up the tough yards.

chucoblack&gold
01-11-2009, 10:08 PM
You gotta admit, that's a nice thought :wink02:

Welcome to the board.:drink:

Steeldude
01-11-2009, 10:26 PM
frank pollard all the way :smile:

BehindSteelCurtain
01-11-2009, 10:32 PM
That's a good thought but we have The Fast (Parker) and the Furious (Mendy) next year.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-11-2009, 10:33 PM
Hey, anybody ever think of a big RB like Ron Dayne or T.J. Duckett??

tony hipchest
01-11-2009, 10:40 PM
1) no

2) salary cap

KeiselPower99
01-11-2009, 10:43 PM
If everything works out think about the backfield we will have next year. Parker Mendy Moore and Russell. Talk about a real earth wind and fire.

Galax Steeler
01-12-2009, 04:00 AM
If everything works out think about the backfield we will have next year. Parker Mendy Moore and Russell. Talk about a real earth wind and fire.

I hope everyone can stay healthy next year talk about a backfield and hopefully we can see what Mendenhall can bring to the team next year.

CaliStillersFan
01-12-2009, 05:34 AM
Even though the thought of having a big bruising Bettis-like RB again makes me want to touch myself. I think we need to spend our money improving our offensive line.

sherlock
01-12-2009, 06:06 AM
Do you guys and gals not think Gary Russell already fits the bill?
I`m pretty new to the NFL but he seems like a real asset to the team.,,I`d be interested to hear your opinions.

Rick5895
01-12-2009, 06:31 AM
Why take on a guy who gets hurt when someone sneezes (Jacobs) or a guy with character flaws(Johnson) We have Parker, mendenhall, Moore and Russell, Lets get some O Line and some Dline and keep winning super bowls

BrandonCarr39
01-12-2009, 06:49 AM

Brandon Jacobs will be an unrestricted free agent at the end of this season. Although unlikely does anyone else feel that Brandon Jacobs would fit in nicely along side Willie Parker. A Black and Gold Smash and Dash.

I read on the Giants board that he wants to do everything to stay with this team.

BTW-he would have had a monster game yesterday if it weren't for the coaches abandoning the run game at critical times.

Dino 6 Rings
01-12-2009, 06:57 AM
we just need Kuhn and we'll win 8 SBs in a row.

Michael Keller
01-12-2009, 08:04 AM

Jacobs and Parker would appeal to me. I do not like the fact that Mendenhall has not been around attending the team's meeting and practices and even on the sidelines during the games. You would think he would want to learn the system and get to know the guys and be a part of this exciting team He was consididering quiting football at Illinois and he openly critrical of his coach for the way the coach treated his brother. This guy needs to around the Steeler players and learn the great chemistry of the Steelers. I hope my concerns are not justified. If anybody can explain to me why Mendenhall being absent is acceptable I will try to understand your point of view.

However I love Jacobs' size, power and his nastiness and spirit.

X-Terminator
01-12-2009, 08:21 AM
Jacobs and Parker would appeal to me. I do not like the fact that Mendenhall has not been around attending the team's meeting and practices and even on the sidelines during the games. You would think he would want to learn the system and get to know the guys and be a part of this exciting team He was consididering quiting football at Illinois and he openly critrical of his coach for the way the coach treated his brother. This guy needs to around the Steeler players and learn the great chemistry of the Steelers. I hope my concerns are not justified. If anybody can explain to me why Mendenhall being absent is acceptable I will try to understand your point of view.

However I love Jacobs' size, power and his nastiness and spirit.

Uh yeah, there is a reason why he isn't around much. It's called REHAB. You think a broken shoulder heals overnight?

The Duke
01-12-2009, 08:45 AM
Do you guys and gals not think Gary Russell already fits the bill?
I`m pretty new to the NFL but he seems like a real asset to the team.,,I`d be interested to hear your opinions.

I like what I've seen from him so far. He comes as a cheap back that can get you a 1st down at times

Sometimes it's the oline that has to step up in this short yardage situations

BlastFurnace
01-12-2009, 09:36 AM
So we have Parker, Mendenhall, Moore, Russell...and then we add Jacobs?

Under Cowher, we collected blocking TE's. I don't want to see a similar collection of RB's.

lilyoder6
01-12-2009, 09:51 AM
i think we are good to go with the rb's we have

devilsdancefloor
01-12-2009, 09:51 AM
i hope not he is a beast, but he is gonna sk for way to much $$$$$ and we need OL and DL.

BlastFurnace
01-12-2009, 09:54 AM
i hope not he is a beast, but he is gonna sk for way to much $$$$$ and we need OL and DL.

He's 265. Add another 40lbs to him and turn him into the next Larry Brown (from the 70's). He can't be any worse than Colon.

Just a joke guys.

SteelCurtainII
01-12-2009, 04:44 PM
We do have great Rb's that in my opinion can get us to this Superbowl and more(if healthy). We don't need Jacobs, but i found myself drooling at the thought of him in a Steelers jersey, and wanted to see what others thought.

I would also invest in the O-line way before even thinking about RB's.

Ravengirl
01-12-2009, 05:46 PM

Scary thought because Jacobs abused the Ravens defense this season. However, I just don't think the Steelers front office is going to dish out the type of money he will be asking for this off-season. Plus, the guy is injury-prone.

NJarhead
01-12-2009, 05:51 PM
Scary thought because Jacobs abused the Ravens defense this season. However, I just don't think the Steelers front office is going to dish out the type of money he will be asking for this off-season. Plus, the guy is injury-prone.

He wants to stay in New York and the Giants won't let him go anywhere. Derrick Ward is the odd man out.

Michael Keller
01-12-2009, 06:01 PM
Uh yeah, there is a reason why he isn't around much. It's called REHAB. You think a broken shoulder heals overnight?

So what you are saying is that he can not sit in on team meetings and attend practices while he is rehabing . I know Paul Poloszny personally and he said that he gained quite a bit of knowledge during the time he was rehabing by attending meetings , practices and the games . Poz feels the pro game is 80 percent mental and 20 percent physical. If Bouchette in his article this past week end is correct wherein he states that Mendenhall who lives in Pittsburgh is not a part of the Steeler program this year he is missing an opportunity to not only learn the system but enjoy the experience of this team.

cowboykilla
01-12-2009, 06:08 PM
Welcome aboard!! :tt03::tt03: It's not going to happen,but i feel ya on Jacobs.:thmbup:

X-Terminator
01-12-2009, 06:14 PM
So what you are saying is that he can not sit in on team meetings and attend practices while he is rehabing . I know Paul Poloszny personally and he said that he gained quite a bit of knowledge during the time he was rehabing by attending meetings , practices and the games . Poz feels the pro game is 80 percent mental and 20 percent physical. If Bouchette in his article this past week end is correct wherein he states that Mendenhall who lives in Pittsburgh is not a part of the Steeler program this year he is missing an opportunity to not only learn the system but enjoy the experience of this team.

OK, I will give you that. But I don't think it's that big a deal, and is just another case of the media trying to create controversy where there is none.

steelreserve
01-12-2009, 06:21 PM
Yeah, I'd love to have that guy on our team, but the odds are ... well, let's just say I don't think the Lions are going to contend for the Super Bowl next year either.

BehindSteelCurtain
01-12-2009, 06:24 PM
Yea Jacobs is extrememly injury prone but what RB isn't i guess. But I'd hate to see us sign him to a huge deal and then see him get hurt.

HometownGal
01-12-2009, 06:29 PM
I think for now, I'd like to keep what we've got.

I have the utmost respect for BJ, but as others have so correctly stated - he tends to be a bit too injury prone for my liking.

P.S. He did, however, help me win a couple of FF championships this season! :thumbsup:

steelreserve
01-12-2009, 06:42 PM
He'll probably end up with the Patriots, since they have unlimited salary cap space and probably two or three franchise tags.

JPSEMP
01-12-2009, 06:43 PM
Call me crazy but all I see in Jacobs is a big back who ran through even bigger holes. The way our line played through most of this season I doubt he would have any more success than either Willie or (Mawellde) excuse my spelling. That being said if our o-line can keep improving then all this team needs is depth via the draft on both the D and O lines. I was surprised with the Mendenhal pick last year and would be shocked to see any more additions to a position which is already more than filled with top quality players. Arians called a heck of a game Sunday and the O-line stepped up big time.

ShutDown24
01-12-2009, 06:51 PM
does anyone else feel that Brandon Jacobs would fit in nicely along side Willie Parker.

It's a nice thought, but I think Mendenhall fits nicely next to Parker :helmet:

ShutDown24
01-12-2009, 06:54 PM
He'll probably end up with the Patriots, since they have unlimited salary cap space and probably two or three franchise tags.

I kind of think Larry Johnson will end up with the Pats but not a bad point, they could make a run at Jacobs.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: Ugh - thought this was a different thread, lol, sorry for the double post.

jjpro11
01-12-2009, 07:21 PM
we are going to have a hard enough time figuring out how to manage 5 quality nfl running backs next year. no way in hell we add another.

OneForTheToe
01-12-2009, 07:21 PM
hhhhmmmmmmm .............. 265? On Brandon's first day as a Steeler......... "Brandon, hi my name is Bruce Arians, very glad you are aboard. Now, we are very happy to add you to our TE roation.":wink02::wave:

As for Mendy not being around the team, I admit I wish it wasn't so. However, as the song says, "people out strange." We all like the players who are into the whole be with my team mentality. Some players (people) are more distant type personalities. Even Terry Bradshaw was quite distant from his teammates for much of his career. Let's give Mendy a few years before we lable him as a bad teammate.

KeiselPower99
01-12-2009, 07:41 PM
Im watching the Steelers/Ravens MNF game on NFL Network and from what ive seen Mendy is running very well. Im excited about getting him back next year. But like I said earlier that is one area we will be deep and talented much like linebacker.

Polamalu43
01-12-2009, 07:42 PM

As much as jacobs is a monster, there is no way we are getting him.. we already getting mendenhall back next year.

revefsreleets
01-12-2009, 09:05 PM
It's a nice sentiment, and MOST importantly, Jacobs seems like the rarest of rare things: A truly big back who can produce without being bogged down with injuries. In fact, the Steelers would be an ideal fit for him, a team that won't use him every down.

But we'd only pay him part-time money, and he wants big time full-time pay.

That'll be his undoing, too. He's no Jerome Bettis. If he has to carry the ball 300 times a year every year he's done.

BehindSteelCurtain
01-12-2009, 09:06 PM
Yea we'll have Parker and Mendy. They'll be a good tandem.

BehindSteelCurtain
01-12-2009, 09:07 PM
Moore won't get too much playing time when Mendy gets back.

Polamalu43
01-12-2009, 09:08 PM
Moore won't get too much playing time when Mendy gets back.

Can you imagne if we had drafted stewart insteadof Mendy, WOW..

markymarc
01-13-2009, 06:05 AM
I will take my chances with Mendenhall. He was starting to run very well before getting injured. It will be nice to get him back next season. Besides why would we need another RB when we should be focusing on fixing the OL.

jasonhightower
01-13-2009, 08:53 AM
I think worse than not having another RB in the stable this year, is the fact Mendenhall has basically missed a year of development. The sooner he gets back in the mix the better.

Would we carry 4 RB's on gameday next year?

The_WARDen
01-13-2009, 09:05 AM
Yea we'll have Parker and Mendy. They'll be a good tandem.

it boggles my mind as to how ppl "know" this as if it's a fact. No one knows anything about Mendenhall at the pro level.

He is an unknown where as Jacobs is a known.

I too doubt the Steelers would go that route but there's no way anyone can say that Mendenhall would be a better option than Jacobs at this point.

DACEB
01-13-2009, 09:10 AM
Would we carry 4 RB's on gameday next year?

I don't see why not, that is a great foursome. Four-horsemen anyone? I preached Russell's value early on and it has come to fruition.

BigBen2WardPITT
01-13-2009, 09:10 AM
Isn't that why we drafted Mendenhall? :noidea:

agreed.

1. The Steelers rarely sign free agents.

2. Mendenhall was just drafted.

3. Moore came in and got 500 yards this season as a backup - he's staying and has gained respect among players, fans, and the team.

4. Gary Russell and Carey Davis get their fair share of time too.

Brandon Jacobs a Steeler just isn't going to happen.