PDA

View Full Version : How about Sweeeeeed

Shoes
01-11-2009, 11:08 PM
Hey he did ok.....no holding calls, beat the db by a few steps but dropped a perfect rocket from lefty. He's going to be fine when he gets his sea legs

jjpro11
01-11-2009, 11:11 PM
ouch.. i was waiting for this thread. he has a long way to go. it was not an impressive rookie season at all. luckily holmes, ward, miller and washington are getting the job done.

cubanstogie
01-11-2009, 11:12 PM
Sweed reminds me of a kid in the 5th grade who is 6'2. Their feet are too big for them . I really hope its inexperience but he really looks like a fish out of water out there. I must apologize to Nate for being a hater earlier in year, he stepped up and played well when called upon.

VegasStlrFan
01-11-2009, 11:12 PM
17th game of the season, lets hope he doesn't make us wait to long.

jjpro11
01-11-2009, 11:16 PM
That woulda just made my day. Byron connecting with Limas for a TD on his first toss...

i kinda had a feeling they were going to let lefty unleash one downfield.. right before the play they showed ben laugh a bit after talking to arians.

Lock Down
01-11-2009, 11:24 PM
It would of been great to see him score that touchdown, what a confidence boost it could of been. It's all about the next play though, i am sure Sweed will turn out fine.

Steeldude
01-11-2009, 11:25 PM
i always get the impression that he is scared and lacks confidence in himself.

fansince'76
01-11-2009, 11:25 PM
SWEEEEEEEEEED! :chuckle:

KeiselPower99
01-11-2009, 11:27 PM
Sweed will be fine. He just needs to slow down and let the game come to him.

Shoes
01-11-2009, 11:27 PM
SWEEEEEEEEEED! :chuckle:

Must be the Colorado air...:chuckle:

devilsdancefloor
01-11-2009, 11:29 PM
it is almost like he is stil lin shock and awe of the speed of the game at times!! But i think he will turn out to be a good WR for us.

fansince'76
01-11-2009, 11:31 PM
Must be the Colorado air...:chuckle:

:chuckle:

Seriously, I think he is just very green - he'll mature and get better.

jaygorius
01-11-2009, 11:32 PM
Though I can't say that I am encouraged by what he has shown us, they do say that wide receivers have one of the hardest times adjusting as rookies out of all the positions. We'll have to see if he starts to come around next year.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-11-2009, 11:32 PM
Yeah, tough to see him drop that one. Just gotta hold out hope for the offseason. No way you can be that good at Texas and then come into the NFL and suddenly forget how to catch.

Shoes
01-11-2009, 11:37 PM

I agree...he is a very humble guy and will be a great one.

BehindSteelCurtain
01-11-2009, 11:39 PM
He just needs some playing experience.

hindes204
01-11-2009, 11:39 PM
you gotta catch that ball.......i actually have been disappointed with sweed this year, i had such high hopes when we drafted him...hopefully its just a maturity thing and he will get better, he definitely has the talent

VegasStlrFan
01-11-2009, 11:56 PM
I was more disappointed for Lefty than sweed on the drop. Sweed will have plenty of oppurtunities in the future. I really love the fact that we have a backup as capable as Lefty. I lived thru the rough years between Bradshaw and Ben and can't believe we have this kind of fire power at the position.

Preacher
01-12-2009, 12:01 AM
I was more disappointed for Lefty than sweed on the drop. Sweed will have plenty of oppurtunities in the future. I really love the fact that we have a backup as capable as Lefty. I lived thru the rough years between Bradshaw and Ben and can't believe we have this kind of fire power at the position.

NO................DOUBT!

klick81
01-12-2009, 12:35 AM
I do doubt he'll stay as our back-up for much longer though.

MasterOfPuppets
01-12-2009, 12:38 AM

Seriously, I think he is just very green - he'll mature and get better.thats it....i recall a 1st rd pick dropping balls for 3 yrs, before he finally broke out....and lets not forget all the nate bashing.....nate is now a huge part of the O...:thumbsup:

Galax Steeler
01-12-2009, 05:09 AM
I had my doubts about Washington at the first of the year he has really turned it around making some good plays I hope Sweed can turn it around next year I think he has the potential.

FSUBoo
01-12-2009, 05:28 AM
Don't forget Plax didn't look good his rookie year.

HometownGal
01-12-2009, 05:37 AM
Sweed will be just fine. Give him more playing time next season and I think he will really surprise all of us.

stillers4me
01-12-2009, 06:23 AM
Hopefully Sweed will hang out with the other receivers in the off season. That was a laser guided missile Lefty threw! It's Mendenhall that really concerns me. I read yesterday that he has disappeared since his injury. It's not required that he be there on injured reserved but he could be learning alot by watching. They said both Batch and Sep have been there with the rest of the team.

GBMelBlount
01-12-2009, 06:59 AM
i always get the impression that he is scared and lacks confidence in himself.

Completely Agree. Plus nervousness.

I remember Foote saying during a game (Superbowl XL DVD clip)

"DAMN! Why do I get so nervous sometimes!"

I wonder if that is what keeps others, like Nate perhaps, from reaching their full potential.

Some people get over it, others, like Colclough maybe, don't....

GeneralRobinson
01-12-2009, 11:07 AM
Hopefully Sweed will hang out with the other receivers in the off season. That was a laser guided missile Lefty threw! It's Mendenhall that really concerns me. I read yesterday that he has disappeared since his injury. It's not required that he be there on injured reserved but he could be learning alot by watching. They said both Batch and Sep have been there with the rest of the team.

I saw Rashard on the sidelines yesterday.

steelpride12
01-12-2009, 11:08 AM
A holding penalty and a dropped long ball. Not bad.

SteelerFanInATL
01-12-2009, 11:25 AM
A rookie who does not start and his first playoff game. Yeah it is expected he make that kind of mistake. (dropped pass) Put him in the same situation next year, he makes that play and possible scores. What I am waiting too see next year is what will happen to Nate once Sweed starts to come on. Does he move to #4, will we get rid of him. I think we should keep him. Once Ward retires there will be plenty of room.

Frankie3521
01-12-2009, 11:30 AM
Ohhh man...I was hoping he woulda caught that, what a beauty by Lefty.

Pi Kapp Steeler
01-12-2009, 11:46 AM
I think with more playing time , and getting into the Rhythm of the game Sweed will be fine.

Pi Kapp Steeler
01-12-2009, 11:47 AM
I think with more playing time , and getting into the Rhythm of the game Sweed will be fine.

No ones hits a home run off the bench, you have to get multiple looks from the pitcher in the first couple of innings

jjpro11
01-12-2009, 11:51 AM
A rookie who does not start and his first playoff game. Yeah it is expected he make that kind of mistake. (dropped pass) Put him in the same situation next year, he makes that play and possible scores. What I am waiting too see next year is what will happen to Nate once Sweed starts to come on. Does he move to #4, will we get rid of him. I think we should keep him. Once Ward retires there will be plenty of room.

sweed is going to have to show A LOT in the offseason for that to happen.. nate has been stellar for us.

FSUBoo
01-12-2009, 11:56 AM
Yeah I've liked Nate since he first caught on with us.

revefsreleets
01-12-2009, 12:55 PM
Too much attention has been paid to this kid and not enough to Nate Washington. Sweed drops balls and generates penalties. Washington has literally saved games for us.

Not saying the kid won't be good someday, but, yikes, we need to back off the Sweed threads...

markymarc
01-12-2009, 12:55 PM
Limas Sweed will be just fine. And that was a beautiful throw by Lefty. It's just too bad Sweed couldn't pull down the catch. Let's see what he can do in the off season.

Hammer67
01-12-2009, 12:58 PM
Receivers take at least a year or two to groom...in most cases. I would give him three years or so to make a judgement.

The_WARDen
01-12-2009, 01:33 PM
they made a mistake with him. I don't know the order from the 2nd round, but it appears that the bEagles chose the better WR in round 2 with DeSean Jackson - he looks to be the real deal here in his 1st year.

Hammer67
01-12-2009, 01:55 PM
Can't tell that yet...it's just the first year. First year receivers doing well in the NFL are flukes.

MasterOfPuppets
01-12-2009, 02:05 PM
Too much attention has been paid to this kid and not enough to Nate Washington. Sweed drops balls and generates penalties. Washington has literally saved games for us.

Not saying the kid won't be good someday, but, yikes, we need to back off the Sweed threads...yup....the very same nate washington that took a beating like a rental mule, last year , AND, earlier this year, on this very board. i myself am guilty of wanting him run out of town....people forget how bad plaxico was his first 2 years...

Sharkissle29
01-12-2009, 02:12 PM
they made a mistake with him. I don't know the order from the 2nd round, but it appears that the bEagles chose the better WR in round 2 with DeSean Jackson - he looks to be the real deal here in his 1st year.

DeSean isn't steeler bred. He is arrogant and profanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofa nityfiltery, something the steelers dont like when drafting.

cubanstogie
01-12-2009, 02:17 PM
DeSean isn't steeler bred. He is arrogant and profanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofa nityfiltery, something the steelers dont like when drafting.

Plus he is just like Santonio, the whole point of Sweed is Ben wanted big receiver.

Pi Kapp Steeler
01-12-2009, 02:28 PM
Position battles = The stater is in fear of losing his job ,which = The starter will play harder to keep his job.

The Starter= Nate Washington who has been amazing for us

So how about sweed?? I love it , their competition has led to a high standard of playing!

The_WARDen
01-12-2009, 02:31 PM
Plus he is just like Santonio, the whole point of Sweed is Ben wanted big receiver.

oh yeah...forgot about that.

MasterOfPuppets
01-12-2009, 03:21 PM
to early to be a bust but even if he doesnt work out They MUST resign Santonio when time comes. Stupid to let Buress go , dumb to let Randle el go, ... dont even have a word if they let Santonio goburress wanted to go, plus it was between keeping hines OR burress....they made the right choice....randel el has proved with his stats alone, he wasn't worth half as much as what the skins gave him....holmes better catch about 30 more passes next year than he did this year if, he wants a deal he'll be happy with from the steelers....50+ catches a year from a starter, doesn't warrent, a huge contract, thats why randel el, is now a redskin.

Dr. Steel
01-12-2009, 03:22 PM
Can't tell that yet...it's just the first year. First year receivers doing well in the NFL are flukes.

I remember Troy Edwards had a very good rookie year. I can't remember the exact stats from his rookie year. But Edwards had 60 catches and I think around 5 TDs his rookie year. We all know how Troy's career turned out.:sofunny:

The_WARDen
01-12-2009, 03:39 PM
I remember Troy Edwards had a very good rookie year. I can't remember the exact stats from his rookie year. But Edwards had 60 catches and I think around 5 TDs his rookie year. We all know how Troy's career turned out.:sofunny:

Randy Moss had 60 some catches as well with 1000+ yards, how'd his career turn out?

Polamalu43
01-12-2009, 03:42 PM
Hey he did ok.....no holding calls, beat the db by a few steps but dropped a perfect rocket from lefty. He's going to be fine when he gets his sea legs

Sweed is really raw. i don't even think he will be ready for next season.. i had high hopes for him, when we drafted him..

Danger DANJ
01-12-2009, 03:55 PM
There is a reason why they say a WR usually brakes out in his third season. Sure, some come on as rookies and keep it going while others are busts after that, but most don't start bringing it until their third season. Guys like DeSean Jackson were drafted by a team that needed them to start right away. If Sweed had to start right away, who is to say after a few games, he wouldn't be putting up good numbers? I think he just needs to play some games and get into a rhythm.

Nighthawk
01-12-2009, 08:10 PM
I'm glad most fans realize he looks super nervous and he'll be fine once his nerves calm down. I think next year Sweed does extremely well!

VegasStlrFan
01-12-2009, 11:42 PM
Don't forget Plax didn't look good his rookie year.

He don't look so good as veteran anymore either, maybe he'll look good for his new friends in prison. :sofunny::sofunny::sofunny:

Preacher
01-13-2009, 02:00 AM

Yep, Santo did really click until the second year.

Sweed didn't even play this year. So he really doesn't have a lot of experience with the speed of the game. It'll come. But we need to be the one thing STeeler fans are not. Patient.

Preacher
01-13-2009, 02:11 AM

Not saying the kid won't be good someday, but, yikes, we need to back off the Sweed threads...

Come on Suit. . .

where else could I post this?

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll59/meraby/Picture1.gif

NoFieldFive
01-13-2009, 02:45 AM
Santonio had many fumbles on kickoffs and punt returns his rookie year - some games he had multiple turnovers. Sweed will be fine. it's not like he's had a ton of playing time and balls thrown to him this year.