PDA

View Full Version : The Fake Punt was a gutsy call.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-11-2009, 10:42 PM
I have no problem with the fake punt. It was an aggressive move and took guts to call for it. :thumbsup: The D backed up the miscue only giving up 3 points.

It would have worked if Frazier blocked the guy to the inside of him, rather than double teaming the guy that rushed to the outside of him. Just one little change of that play and Clark probably gets 15 yards out of it.

jjpro11
01-11-2009, 10:45 PM
i didnt like the call at all. if we punted, we could have pinned them back. if they go 3 and out or dont gain much yards, we get good field position to end the half.

Preacher
01-11-2009, 10:50 PM
I really liked the call.

In all reality, the Chargers got VERY lucky that they called a play to come block the punt instead of pealing off to block for the returner. It was a good call, and the Chargers checkmated the call.

tony hipchest
01-11-2009, 10:53 PM
i think it was alot more than 15 yards had frazier not messed up. it was clear sailing for clark if his tackler were blocked.

balls of steel call by tomlin. i like it.

JackHammer
01-11-2009, 10:55 PM
I didn't like it at the time, but I won't question it because I like the fact that Tomlin has that much faith in his D. It is, after all, the best D in the NFL. So he should trust them. It ended up not being the right call, but it wasn't a bad call.

VegasStlrFan
01-11-2009, 11:06 PM
Not a big fan of the call, but I like the confidence it showed in the D. Could have been big, but the down side is they only had to get 20yds for a field goal try.

I like the idea of trying to pin them deep letting the D do their thing (you know the safety sack dance, pick six, snot knocker fumble hit.... that sort a thing). Thats my sunday night quarterbacking opinion.

4G63
01-11-2009, 11:13 PM
It was a high risk/high reward play. You can take chances when you have faith in your defense. If it works, its a great call. If it fails,you run the risk of giving up points. Luckily for you guys, the Chargers couldn't get 7......

MasterOfPuppets
01-11-2009, 11:16 PM
i liked the call....had they executed properly it woulda been huge !!! had it worked, all you "i didn't like the call people", would be singing a very different tune.....:popcorn:

SteelersMongol
01-11-2009, 11:22 PM
We're trying to be unpredictable, that's all. I think we should be making that kind of calls once in while.

MACH1
01-11-2009, 11:29 PM
Gutsy-yes. Smart-:noidea: only if it works.

lambertlunaticfan
01-12-2009, 12:07 AM
i thought it was a risk that didnt need to be taken....:tt:

BozMan
01-12-2009, 12:15 AM
I liked that Tomlin & Co. were aggressive for much of the game. On that particular situation, though, I would have rather seen the O just line up and go for it than a fake punt.

LVSteelersfan
01-12-2009, 12:21 AM
I just hate to say that almost every trick play they tried backfired. Don't know if they are just not practicing those plays enough or what. But I like the idea of keeping the other team off balance.

MJ5150
01-12-2009, 02:08 AM
I had no problem with it either. It shows the players that Tomlin has confidence in them.

Of course, the talking heads on the CBS halftime show called it stupid, and old Boomer went off about it.

-Mike

MJ5150
01-12-2009, 02:10 AM
Luckily for you guys, the Chargers couldn't get 7......

Good point, but they did get three and take the lead.

-Mike

Dr. Steel
01-12-2009, 02:19 AM
Its one of those calls if it works Tomlin is a genius. If not then he is an idiot. I don't mind the call at all and I thought Tomlin showed great trust in his defense with going with the fake punt. He did the same thing against the Redskins earlier in the season with a surprise onside kick.

Danger DANJ
01-12-2009, 02:57 AM
I'm OK with the call, but I think I would have tried a pass instead of running it right up the middle.

Galax Steeler
01-12-2009, 03:43 AM
I had no problem with the call it could have turned into a big play if it would have worked I never saw it coming it gos to show you that Tomlin will try anything.

jdsdaguy
01-12-2009, 03:54 AM
loved the call. it was great to see them play aggresivly.

markymarc
01-12-2009, 06:29 AM
I loved the call. Like Tomlin stated after the game he was playing aggressive and not to lose. It just goes to show that he trusts his team and is putting it in their hands to win the game. Better than playing not to lose.

conservativesteelers
01-12-2009, 07:28 AM
I like the fact that Tomlin didn't play Cowher ball. So, he played more agressive throughout the game.. I thought he was a little impatient with that fake punt attempt, an the timing of it, but I still didn't mind him making that decision. Last year Tomlin let a lot of his assistants make the calls, and they played Cowher Conservative football, and got beat in the end.

FacemeIke
01-12-2009, 08:38 AM
If we are going to go for it in that situation I'd rather just see us line up our O and give it to Gary Russell. We look a lot better in 3rd and 4th and short now then we did earlier in the season.

madtowndrunkard
01-12-2009, 09:17 AM
I have no problem with the fake punt. It was an aggressive move and took guts to call for it. :thumbsup: The D backed up the miscue only giving up 3 points.

It would have worked if Frazier blocked the guy to the inside of him, rather than double teaming the guy that rushed to the outside of him. Just one little change of that play and Clark probably gets 15 yards out of it.

That was not gutsy, it was stupid. Frankly it was one of the more idiotic calls I've seen a steeler coach make in a very long time.

Given how bad our offense is, how good our defense is, and the situation we were in, a fake punt was made ZERO sense. There's a difference between gutsy and stupid. That was stupid.

Losing the battle of field position can be devastating. Against a better team that easily could have cost us the game.

Tomlin made two horrible calls IMO that easily could have cost us a win. The fake punt, and the decision to go for it on 4th and goal. With our offense we need every point we can get. Taking the 3 points would have put SD in a 2 -TD deficit ....requiring them to get 2 pt conversions just to tie the game. Instead we kept them in it.

SD's defense is horrible. Our O-line has not been able to push anyone off the ball all season other then SD. Baltimore is not going to be man handled at the LOS like SD was.

Coaching will win (or lose) next weeks game.

Crow-Magnon
01-12-2009, 09:26 AM
I liked the call, but not the play.

I think snapping it back to the punter and having him try to run a sweep would have gotten more yardage than a quick snap to the blocker and trying to get it up the middle when the other team was possibly trying for a block. Too much pressure up the gut.

But I like gutsy call playing, no matter what team does it. To be honest, I've seen more trick plays and fakes this year than I have in years.

tony hipchest
01-12-2009, 09:32 AM
Taking the 3 points would have put SD in a 2 -TD deficit ....requiring them to get 2 pt conversions just to tie the game. Instead we kept them in it.

SD's defense is horrible.we had an 11 point lead. the fg woulda made it 14. still a 2 score game either way.

BlastFurnace
01-12-2009, 09:34 AM
It was gutsy. I like the agression, but not that type of aggression. I also didn't like the 4th and 1 at the 1 yard line. To me, you go up by 14 there.

We won, and that's all that counts. But...had we lost...Tomlin would be getting roasted right now because of those two calls.

It's the Beauty of the Win.

CurtainClsr
01-12-2009, 09:45 AM
I don't mind the call... being aggressive is great and Tomlin does that sometimes. I didn't like it at that part of field. I know he was trying to create a spark but it was a little early for that.

:drink: All that being said, NICE WIN TOMLIN

lilyoder6
01-12-2009, 09:58 AM
i rem last yr when we did a fake punt against the rams and dan threw it to najah for like a 30 yrd gain...

i feel more comfortable when dan is back there to do a fake b/c at least he can run and throw the ball decently...

but now we know that tomlin is go big or go home mentality

Stlrs4Life
01-12-2009, 10:01 AM
Gutsy-yes. Smart-:noidea: only if it works.

Exactly. But the 4th and 1 call was stupid. I take the 3 points.

devilsdancefloor
01-12-2009, 10:06 AM
i dont know if i blinked or looked down for asec but i looked back up and i see berger jumping like it went over his head!!! i was freaking out!!! it was a OMG OMG moment :sofunny: but i like the call and boomer can go suck a egg!

revefsreleets
01-12-2009, 10:46 AM
Exactly. But the 4th and 1 call was stupid. I take the 3 points.

Exactly. I think you EITHER fake the punt OR go for it on 4th and goal, but not both. The combination definitely cannot be considered conservative football.

X-Terminator
01-12-2009, 10:57 AM
Tomlin made two horrible calls IMO that easily could have cost us a win. The fake punt, and the decision to go for it on 4th and goal. With our offense we need every point we can get. Taking the 3 points would have put SD in a 2 -TD deficit ....requiring them to get 2 pt conversions just to tie the game. Instead we kept them in it.

That would have given them the LEAD, not tie. 16>14.

If you're going to criticize the decision, at least get the math right.

sherlock
01-12-2009, 11:15 AM
Iloved it!!......I`m all for doing the unexpected and showing imagination,even the fake snap that didn`t work!
I`m pretty sure I`d think the same even if the Steelers lost!