PDA

View Full Version : Leftwich Update

The Duke
01-12-2009, 01:38 AM
As much as I'd like to keep him as a backup I wouldn't mind him being a Bear. The man can be a starter

Leftwich on Bears: 'Tell them to look me up'

January 12, 2009
BY BRAD BIGGS bbiggs@suntimes.com

PITTSBURGH -- Byron Leftwich thought he was headed to the Bears in 2003, when he was coming out of Marshall and they held the fourth pick in the draft.

Now he's a candidate to be on the Bears' radar as they search for a free-agent quarterback after general manager Jerry Angelo identified the position as his No. 1 offseason priority. After proving with the Pittsburgh Steelers this season that he is over ankle injuries that limited him to nine games the previous two years, Leftwich is among a handful of available passers from which the Bears could pick, a group that also includes David Carr, Jeff Garcia, J.P. Losman and Chris Simms.

Leftwich, who turns 29 Wednesday and was a four-year starter in Jacksonville, has a strong arm, as he displayed Sunday on a perfectly thrown deep ball that Limas Sweed dropped. He was 7-for-10 for 129 yards and a touchdown in a Nov. 3 victory at Washington after a right shoulder injury knocked out Ben Roethlisberger, and he finished the season 21-for-36 for 303 yards and two touchdowns.

''We are in the playoff run right now, so I don't even want to go there, but tell them to look me up,'' Leftwich said. ''I'm a fan of Lovie Smith, I'll just say that. I thought that was where I was going to go in the beginning. I remember hoping that I would go there. I just wanted to be a part of the tradition, the history of the Bears. You're growing up, watching games at Soldier Field on TV, I wanted to be a part of that coming out. I thought there was a chance I would go there.

''I want a chance to go somewhere and play. I guess everybody wanted to see if I am healthy, and now they can see it. I'm ready to play again.''

NOTE: The Chargers' loss ensures the Bears will pick 18th in the first round of the draft.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/football/bears/1372863,CST-SPT-afcside12.article

If only sweed had caught that ball :banging:

Preacher
01-12-2009, 01:45 AM
As much as I'd like to keep him as a backup I wouldn't mind him being a Bear. The man can be a starter

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/football/bears/1372863,CST-SPT-afcside12.article

If only sweed had caught that ball :banging:

OK..... So what if....

What if we franchise him... and demand a first and a third for him. ANyone thing we would get it?

MasterOfPuppets
01-12-2009, 01:46 AM
OK..... So what if....

What if we franchise him... and demand a first and a third for him. ANyone thing we would get it?nope....:coffee:

jjpro11
01-12-2009, 01:53 AM
he's as good as gone.. and rightfully so.. he's better than a good number of quarterbacks who started this year. i sure would like to send him off with a ring though.

Preacher
01-12-2009, 01:57 AM
nope....:coffee:

But but but....

The Browns were talking first and third for D.A. last year. Why not? :rofl:

MasterOfPuppets
01-12-2009, 02:00 AM
''I want a chance to go somewhere and play. selfish bastard.....:shake01:

Preacher
01-12-2009, 02:03 AM
OK...

On a more SERIOUS note, I would like to see us resign him, then field offers for him. However, with all the FA's that we will have to resign this offseason, I doubt we would have room to play games like that.

MACH1
01-12-2009, 02:07 AM
selfish bastard.....:shake01:

Yeah....And his one year here, there's a chance he may get a ring too.

MasterOfPuppets
01-12-2009, 02:09 AM
OK...

On a more SERIOUS note, I would like to see us resign him, then field offers for him. However, with all the FA's that we will have to resign this offseason, I doubt we would have room to play games like that.nah....the guy wants to play, not be a backup for the rest of his carrear...gotta respect him for that....you know he's not just playing for a paycheck...:hatsoff:

Preacher
01-12-2009, 02:11 AM
nah....the guy wants to play, not be a backup for the rest of his carrear...gotta respect him for that....you know he's not just playing for a paycheck...:hatsoff:

Too true. Though I would LOVE to keep him as a backup you know?

Leftoverhard
01-12-2009, 02:15 AM
I wish him the best. The bears would be lucky to have him.

SteelersinCA
01-12-2009, 02:20 AM
Don't forget we still have Batch, let Lefty go.

NoFieldFive
01-12-2009, 02:35 AM
ya, Batch played very well 2 years ago after Ben had his bike accident

Preacher
01-12-2009, 02:52 AM
Don't forget we still have Batch, let Lefty go.

After watching Batch last year, I wasn't impressed. It looked like he lost his touch finally. I think it may be time for him to retire.

MJ5150
01-12-2009, 02:57 AM
That bomb to Sweed was a nice little message to other GM's that he's still ready to play. I bet he was LOVING it when that play came in from Arians. Better than standing there and handing it off for four minutes.

-Mike

Danger DANJ
01-12-2009, 04:06 AM
When Lefty came in the game, the Steelers could have just ran the ball every play. I'm thinking they called some passes to let Lefty showcase a little bit. That's pretty classy if that was the case.

Galax Steeler
01-12-2009, 04:30 AM
I would like to keep Leftwich but I don't think that will be possible and Batch is getting some age on him so how much longer will he last I guess it will be time for Dixon to start stepping up before long.

jdsdaguy
01-12-2009, 05:05 AM
When Lefty came in the game, the Steelers could have just ran the ball every play. I'm thinking they called some passes to let Lefty showcase a little bit. That's pretty classy if that was the case.

the only other reason would be to put the final nail in the coffin. but i think we had already done that. had sweed caught that pass, it would have completely deflated the rest of the game. i think they were letting him showcase. was lefty only signed for1 year? is there anyway we could get something out of him?

HometownGal
01-12-2009, 05:44 AM
I would HATE to see Lefty go, but I believe it is inevitable. He's proven that he still can play in this league and play well. I, too, would love to send him off with a ring!

I look for Batch to retire and if he doesn't, he should. I haven't felt comfortable with him behind center for quite a while. Maybe the Steelers can sign a FA QB on the cheap - I'm sure there are a few out there just itching to play for the Steelers.

PalmerSteel
01-12-2009, 06:24 AM
keeping lefty wont happen like many said. dixon will have a year of practice/observing under his belt and will be the #2 and will be an excellent backup.

paw-n-maul-u
01-12-2009, 06:35 AM
What are the realistic possibilities of getting something for him?

I'm sick and tired of losing fanecas, porters, hopes, etc. for next to nothing.

That was a sweet bomb. Dangit Sweed, that would have been huge. Oh well, that throw right there

teddy jones
01-12-2009, 10:23 AM
I always root for the Bears over on the NFC side & I'd love to see Leftwich in a Bears uni, but only if they get some recievers too (Boldin). One without the other will just be wasted money & talent. If not for Clark (TE), Forte (RB) & Olsen (TE) they would have no recieving threat at all...
Anyway, before we worry about Leftwich's next team, let's just focus on getting him that ring.

GodofGridiron
01-12-2009, 10:33 AM
What are the realistic possibilities of getting something for him?

I'm sick and tired of losing fanecas, porters, hopes, etc. for next to nothing.

That was a sweet bomb. Dangit Sweed, that would have been huge. Oh well, that throw right there

We didnt lose out on letting Hope and Faneca leave via free agency. Hope netted us a 3rd or 4th rd compensatory pick and Big Red will likely net us a 3rd this upcoming draft. With Porter we got nothing because we released him.

BlastFurnace
01-12-2009, 10:39 AM
I am really wondering if Sweed is still having problems with his vision...specifically depth perception.

I watched him at Texas during his entire tenure. He didn't drop stuff like that.

This is more than being a rookie.

TackleMeBen
01-12-2009, 10:41 AM
there are quite a few teams out there that need a good starting qb. the lions for one.

lilyoder6
01-12-2009, 10:44 AM
i was kinda of sad for limas when he had the ball and then his long ass legs kicked it out... he could of had his 1st career post-season td..

but it did show us that sweed can RUN and get open.. that could be a glimpse of the future,,, obv, he needs to catch the ball

markymarc
01-12-2009, 11:08 AM
i was kinda of sad for limas when he had the ball and then his long ass legs kicked it out... he could of had his 1st career post-season td..

but it did show us that sweed can RUN and get open.. that could be a glimpse of the future,,, obv, he needs to catch the ball

No doubt about it. I really felt bad for Sweed, but like you said he has the ability to get open and now just needs to work on catching the ball better. I really hope he works on that in the off season because IMO he can be a very good WR.

TackleMeBen
01-12-2009, 11:14 AM

maybe limas just needs to hang out with hines and ben and learn how to be an NFL reciever. i am sure its much different than college.

T&B fan
01-12-2009, 12:07 PM

:iagree: as the Steelers are Classy .

I would like to keep Leftwich but I don't think that will be possible and Batch is getting some age on him so how much longer will he last I guess it will be time for Dixon to start stepping up before long.

Batch should go in to coaching ,looks good holding a clipboard :chuckle:

TackleMeBen
01-12-2009, 12:15 PM
:iagree: as the Steelers are Classy .

Batch should go in to coaching ,looks good holding a clipboard :chuckle:
the same thing could have been said about cassel too..lol..:sofunny:

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-12-2009, 12:15 PM
Leftwich is gone and the question is really how much longer is Batch gonna be here.

Bears, Chiefs, 49ers, Bills, Lions could all use a QB. I think the Chiefs would be a good fit for him.

KeiselPower99
01-12-2009, 12:36 PM
Having watched Byron at Marshall and being a fan for years I would love to see him stay but he is way to dang talented to sit behind Ben the rest of his career. However signs him is getting a healhty Byron Leftwich. I hope we win the Super Bowl and get him a ring cause that might sway his thoughts about being a backup and he deserves one to go with the few MAC rings he got playing for the Herd.

fansince'76
01-12-2009, 12:38 PM
nah....the guy wants to play, not be a backup for the rest of his carrear...gotta respect him for that....you know he's not just playing for a paycheck...:hatsoff:

I agree - I have no qualms with Leftwich wanting to go somewhere he can start. Unlike Culpepper, he's done it the right way.

rbryan
01-12-2009, 12:46 PM
If the Bears wanted him so bad why was he still around when TC started last year?? Has he really done that much since to prove he's a starter???

I love Batch, but he's not the answer. At 34 his best years are behind him, IMO it's a false sense of security to expect him to get the job done if called upon.

I'd like to see the FO sign Leftwich. I seriously doubt he's going to get any big time offers elsewhere. I don't fault him for wanting to start but the backup roll in the Burgh is a pretty good job to have.

Hammer67
01-12-2009, 01:06 PM
selfish bastard.....:shake01:

Are you serious??? Who wouldn't want to start if you had the chance. He was never going to stay a backup. He was a one year insurance policy while Batch was hurt.

More power to Leftwich...

LambertLunatic
01-12-2009, 01:06 PM

I think that WAS the case. This was a classy thing to do, but it was also smart. Moves like this and the way we let Joey Porter go are noticed by free agents that we're trying to sign. Seeing the way our front office and coaches treat the players could be the difference between us signing that free agent we're after and another team signing him.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-12-2009, 01:19 PM
If the Bears wanted him so bad why was he still around when TC started last year?? Has he really done that much since to prove he's a starter???

I love Batch, but he's not the answer. At 34 his best years are behind him, IMO it's a false sense of security to expect him to get the job done if called upon.

I'd like to see the FO sign Leftwich. I seriously doubt he's going to get any big time offers elsewhere. I don't fault him for wanting to start but the backup roll in the Burgh is a pretty good job to have.

Because the Bears still had Orton and Grossman under contract. Grossman is a free agent and not likely to return.

Why would Leftwich want to hold a clipboard behind Ben? Why is that a good job?? He could sign with the Bears, then compete for the starting job and probably win it from Kyle Orton.

Say by to Leftwich. He wont be back in the Burgh next season.

MasterOfPuppets
01-12-2009, 01:22 PM
Are you serious??? Who wouldn't want to start if you had the chance. He was never going to stay a backup. He was a one year insurance policy while Batch was hurt.

More power to Leftwich... Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
nah....the guy wants to play, not be a backup for the rest of his carrear...gotta respect him for that....you know he's not just playing for a paycheck..
no:doh:

HometownGal
01-12-2009, 01:22 PM
Leftwich is gone and the question is really how much longer is Batch gonna be here.

Bears, Chiefs, 49ers, Bills, Lions could all use a QB. I think the Chiefs would be a good fit for him.

I could also see him in Washington. I think the Skins' are getting very impatient with Mr. Campbell.

rbryan
01-12-2009, 01:24 PM
Bye Lefty......lol

Honestly, I don't think its that great of a loss. Regardless of the Bears QB situation this coming year compared to last, theres a reason no one else has considered Leftwich starting QB material for the past two years.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-12-2009, 01:27 PM
I could also see him in Washington. I think the Skins' are getting very impatient with Mr. Campbell.

True, I never even mentioned Minnesota. Any of those places he has a chance to compete with the incumbent and win the starting spot.

Bears- Orton
Chiefs-Thigpen, Croyle
Minnesota- Jackson
Detroit- Kitna, Stanton, Orlovsky?
Buffalo- Edwards
Washington- Campbell
San Fran- Hill??

KeiselPower99
01-12-2009, 01:39 PM
True, I never even mentioned Minnesota. Any of those places he has a chance to compete with the incumbent and win the starting spot.

Bears- Orton
Chiefs-Thigpen, Croyle
Minnesota- Jackson
Buffalo- Edwards
Washington- Campbell
San Fran- Hill??

Culpepper is the incumbent in Detroit. He signed a 2 yr deal if Im correct. In a previous Leftwich post I listed all the teams that might want his services and Tampa Bay was the one that had a glaring need at QB.

The Duke
01-12-2009, 04:24 PM

Because the bears are the dumbest team in the league when it comes to quarterbacks

Or at least Lovie smith is

Grossman stinks up the field weekly and he says he still trusts him. Suddenly changes to griese. Trusts Grossman for 2008, goes with Orton

Plus the bears always have these ridiculously bad qbs

Not the best situation for byron, but it's something :doh:

MasterOfPuppets
01-12-2009, 04:47 PM

Bears- Orton
Chiefs-Thigpen, Croyle
Minnesota- Jackson
Buffalo- Edwards
Washington- Campbell
San Fran- Hill??jets....?
texans....?
bucs....?

jasonhightower
01-12-2009, 04:57 PM
I think Lefty still has something to prove once he's the starter again. He's done well here, but he hasn't been gameplanned against yet, so there is still quite a bit of risk involved.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-12-2009, 06:39 PM
jets....?
texans....?
bucs....?

I think the Texans believe they have their guys. Gruden goes thru QB's like toilet paper and Brett is gonna retire......wait, I think he just changed his mind, no he is gonna....make a decision in March. What a joke!!!

BehindSteelCurtain
01-12-2009, 07:35 PM
Yea don't forget he used to be considered a top QB only a few years ago. It's not like he's washed up he just hasn't played well in Atlanta. In Jacksonville, he got hurt and they never gave him another chance.

BehindSteelCurtain
01-12-2009, 07:36 PM
I think we might be able to trade him on draft day, perhaps if we wanted to move up some spots, considering that we have the 28-32 pick now.