PDA

View Full Version : Steelers vs. Ravens: Round III

mesaSteeler
01-12-2009, 06:01 AM
Steelers vs. Ravens: Round III
http://www.timesonline.com/articles/2009/01/12/sports/steelers/doc496acd666c074068754931.txt

Published: Monday, January 12, 2009 12:04 AM EST
John Perrotto
Times Sports Staff

PITTSBURGH — It will be Round 3 when the Pittsburgh Steelers and Baltimore Ravens meet in the AFC Championship Game at 6:30 p.m. Jan. 18 at Heinz Field.

“It will be a physical game, like a heavyweight fight,” Steelers cornerback Deshea Townsend said. “You know the Ravens will play physical and we’ll be ready to play the same way. It will be a lot of fun.”

The Steelers won both regular-season meetings with the Ravens to win the AFC North, posting a 23-20 victory in overtime in a Monday night game at Heinz Field on Sept. 29 then rallying for a 13-9 victory at Baltimore on Dec. 14 that clinched the division title.

The Steelers advanced to their third AFC Championship Game in five years by beating the San Diego Chargers 35-24 on Sunday in a divisional playoff game at Heinz Field. Baltimore posted a 13-10 road win over the Tennessee Titans on Saturday in Nashville.

“The one thing about playing the Ravens is that you know what’s going to happen,” said Steelers linebacker James Harrison, the NFL Defensive Player of the Year. “They know us and we know them. There are no secrets. We’ll just go after each other.”

The Steelers are the No. 2 seed in the AFC but will host the championship game because the top-seeded Titans got knocked off.

“The road to the Super Bowl leads through Pittsburgh and we’re all excited about playing at home next week,” wide receiver Santonio Holmes said. “It’s huge to be playing in front of our fans.”

The Steelers beat the Ravens in front of their home fans in September as Jeff Reed kicked the game-winning 46-yard field goal with 8:55 remaining in overtime.

The Steelers won despite rushing for just 69 yards as running back Willie Parker missed the game because of injury. Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger threw for 192 yards and linebacker LaMarr Woodley returned a fumble 7 yards for a touchdown, offsetting 137 yards receiving by the Ravens’ Derrick Mason.

The Steelers pulled out the December game in Baltimore with 43 seconds left as Holmes caught the winning 4-yard touchdown pass from Roethlisberger to complete a 12-play, 92-yard drive. Roethlisberger finished with 246 yards passing but the Steelers were held to 91 yards on the ground.

“It’s going to be a battle to play a team three times in one year, especially a divisional opponent,” Roethlisberger said. “It’s going to be one for the ages, I have a feeling.”

steeltheone
01-12-2009, 07:25 AM
Sunday night seems like a year away!

Crow-Magnon
01-12-2009, 07:35 AM
Sunday night seems like a year away!

Good!

For once I'm not rushing the clock. Baltimore needs all the time they can get to get healthy.

How about playing this game on March 8th?

revefsreleets
01-12-2009, 10:52 AM
The ratbirds are a filthy franchise, just evil. The team is filled with thugs and criminals. If karma prevails, we will beat them soundly, and this will spell the demise of the franchise, several losing years ultimately leading to the team quietly abandoning Baltimore in the middle of the nigt to move to LA in the proud tradition that can only come from a redneck backward assed town like Baltimore.

Crow-Magnon
01-12-2009, 10:59 AM
The ratbirds are a filthy franchise, just evil. The team is filled with thugs and criminals. If karma prevails, we will beat them soundly, and this will spell the demise of the franchise, several losing years ultimately leading to the team quietly abandoning Baltimore in the middle of the nigt to move to LA in the proud tradition that can only come from a redneck backward assed town like Baltimore.

Man, did a Ravens fan rear-end your car and turn you into a quadraplegic or something? You got some serious hate working there.

steelreserve
01-12-2009, 11:01 AM
“It’s going to be a battle to play a team three times in one year, especially a divisional opponent,” Roethlisberger said. “It’s going to be one for the ages, I have a feeling.”

Gee, Ben, who else could you play three times in a year?

HometownGal
01-12-2009, 11:07 AM
Man, did a Ravens fan rear-end your car and turn you into a quadraplegic or something? You got some serious hate working there.

Fear not, oh fan of the purple birdie - revs is kind of pumped up and is just practicing for later on in the week when he REALLY gets fired up as Sunday evening approaches. :wink02::chuckle:

I don't like the Rats either because they are a pain our black 'n gold asses, but I do respect them as team. I think Harbaugh has done a tremendous job with the team in his rookie season as a HC and I am VERY impressed with Flacco. If the Steelers put forth the same efforts and play 60 minutes of solid football as they did in yesterday's game and don't turn the ball over, though the game will be a physical brawl, I see the Steelers coming out on top . . . again. :tt02:

Crow-Magnon
01-12-2009, 11:15 AM
Fear not, oh fan of the purple birdie - revs is kind of pumped up and is just practicing for later on in the week when he REALLY gets fired up as Sunday evening approaches. :wink02::chuckle:

I don't like the Rats either because they are a pain our black 'n gold asses, but I do respect them as team. I think Harbaugh has done a tremendous job with the team in his rookie season as a HC and I am VERY impressed with Flacco. If the Steelers put forth the same efforts and play 60 minutes of solid football as they did in yesterday's game and don't turn the ball over, though the game will be a physical brawl, I see the Steelers coming out on top . . . again. :tt02:

Hey, it could happen! :toofunny:

4G63
01-12-2009, 11:16 AM

You're the type of fan that gives Ravens fans the shits. I joined here because most people on this board don't resort to this type of crap to belittle a team. Stick to the facts, bro.......you'll live a happier life!!

Oh, and by the way, Steve Bisciotti won't be taking this team anywhere.........

TheWarDen86
01-12-2009, 11:17 AM

Very well put.

Hey, that's probably what will happen!

Very well put also. :chuckle:

4G63
01-12-2009, 11:17 AM
Gee, Ben, who else could you play three times in a year?

He did use his body as a crash test dummy and last week, well........

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r3/dkr624/ot/concussion.jpg

TheWarDen86
01-12-2009, 11:20 AM
He did use his body as a crash test dummy and last week, well........

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r3/dkr624/ot/concussion.jpg

He's a QB. It happens. What's better is that we have a WR who consistently takes out one of your defensive playmakers. Bart Scott IS Hines Wards pet linebacker. :chuckle:

Hammer67
01-12-2009, 11:49 AM
Leave it to Reve to get the baltimore trolls all riled up. ;)

stlrtruck
01-12-2009, 12:09 PM
Good!

For once I'm not rushing the clock. Baltimore needs all the time they can get to get healthy.

How about playing this game on March 8th?

I say let's move up the date to Thursday night, not like there's anything good on TV.

With the injuries baltimore sustained in their game, it will be interesting to see if the walking infirmary can either play well enough to get over the injury or inspire the backup to play lights out. I see some of the ratbirds bravado coming out when, I think it was Suggs, already said regardless of the type of injury he's playing. That can be team motivating or it can become a hinderance if his backup could do better at 100% then him at 80%.

revefsreleets
01-12-2009, 12:11 PM
I spent some time over at one of the Rats boards a few years back. It's the message board equivalent of The Love Canal: Smelly and gross, a toxic wasteland with retarded mutants running around, truly the armpit of the internet.

The fans are arrogant and ignorant, the smack talk was weak, and even the few posters who could spell and form coherent sentences were generally lacking in any kind of real football knowledge.

The whole experience left me Psychologically scarred for life. I hold the average Ratbird fan in about as high regard as I do Brian Peppers, but he actually has some redeeming qualities.

Crow-Magnon
01-12-2009, 12:13 PM
I say let's move up the date to Thursday night, not like there's anything good on TV.

With the injuries baltimore sustained in their game, it will be interesting to see if the walking infirmary can either play well enough to get over the injury or inspire the backup to play lights out. I see some of the ratbirds bravado coming out when, I think it was Suggs, already said regardless of the type of injury he's playing. That can be team motivating or it can become a hinderance if his backup could do better at 100% then him at 80%.

Hard to say. At this time I'm really not sure how bad his shoulder was sprained. I will say this: Mason's injury was not good, and he has played lights-out with basically only one usable arm in some games. But a LB really needs two good arms.

Rolle's injury is the one that concerns me the most. I'm not a big Frank Walker fan.

Crow-Magnon
01-12-2009, 12:14 PM
I spent some time over at one of the Rats boards a few years back. It's the message board equivalent of The Love Canal: Smelly and gross, a toxic wasteland with retarded mutants running around, truly the armpit of the internet.

The fans are arrogant and ignorant, the smack talk was weak, and even the few posters who could spell and form coherent sentences were generally lacking in any kind of real football knowledge.

The whole experience left me Psychologically scarred for life. I hold the average Ratbird fan in about as high regard as I do Brian Peppers, but he actually has some redeeming qualities.

That's cool. After all, I don't judge everyone on this forum by you, either! :hug:

hindes204
01-12-2009, 12:18 PM
Hard to say. At this time I'm really not sure how bad his shoulder was sprained. I will say this: Mason's injury was not good, and he has played lights-out with basically only one usable arm in some games. But a LB really needs two good arms.

Rolle's injury is the one that concerns me the most. I'm not a big Frank Walker fan.

it will be a good physical game regardless of the injuries, however, playing the steelers when your banged up usually doesnt work out

Hammer67
01-12-2009, 12:22 PM

I must say, that sounds like some Cleveland message boards (that I saw you on as well :chuckle:) that I visited. I haven't had the interest to visit some Ravens sites....speaking of the city in general...fun town. Love the crab cakes. Although there was some strange comic book/japanimation convention letting out when I was downtown last and a bunch of dorky goth kids were walking around dressed as comic book and star wars characters...for some reason, that made my impression of Baltimore. :laughing:

Pi Kapp Steeler
01-12-2009, 02:12 PM
You're the type of fan that gives Ravens fans the shits. I joined here because most people on this board don't resort to this type of crap to belittle a team. Stick to the facts, bro.......you'll live a happier life!!

Oh, and by the way, Steve Bisciotti won't be taking this team anywhere.........

Don't worry not everyone feels this way. I for one can not stand the ravens because they are a huge threat, and they are almost a mirror image of my beloved steelers. Kinda like Superman and Bizzaro . We are superman of course :flap:. And I have visiting the city of baltimore plenty of times and enjoyed it each time , the harbor is beautiful! :drink:

crap i think i just revealed to forum that I am comic book geek :doh:

go steelers:tt03:

Polamalu43
01-12-2009, 02:35 PM
Man i can't wait for sundays game against the ratbirds!! I expect us to come out with more intensity and more fire then we did against the chargers.

STEELERS 28

RATBIRDS 21

Pi Kapp Steeler
01-12-2009, 02:55 PM
Bart Scott IS Hines Wards pet linebacker. :chuckle:

Bahahahahahahaa:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

revefsreleets
01-12-2009, 08:46 PM
Don't worry not everyone feels this way. I for one can not stand the ravens because they are a huge threat, and they are almost a mirror image of my beloved steelers. Kinda like Superman and Bizzaro . We are superman of course :flap:. And I have visiting the city of baltimore plenty of times and enjoyed it each time , the harbor is beautiful! :drink:

crap i think i just revealed to forum that I am comic book geek :doh:

go steelers:tt03:
Mirror? They have zero tradition. There's a reason John Waters loves his hometown. He's the Baltimore poster boy. Him and Hannibal Lector.

The Rats are impostors. Poor mans Steelers. Cheap plastic "Made in China" imitations.

DWC52
01-12-2009, 10:44 PM
Mirror? They have zero tradition. There's a reason John Waters loves his hometown. He's the Baltimore poster boy. Him and Hannibal Lector.

The Rats are impostors. Poor mans Steelers. Cheap plastic "Made in China" imitations.

Haha, who does this guy think he is. Anyways we have tradition, you're just blind to it, like I assume you are with many things. You saying our team is filled with thugs shows how much you know about our team versus a biased misconception. Jerks like you are the type that karma preys on, don't do that to your team. Here's to a injury free hard fought game there are no better two teams or no better rivalry in the NFL. I found myself rooting for the Stealers just for this game. GO RAVENS

revefsreleets
01-13-2009, 10:15 AM
Haha, who does this guy think he is. Anyways we have tradition, you're just blind to it, like I assume you are with many things. You saying our team is filled with thugs shows how much you know about our team versus a biased misconception. Jerks like you are the type that karma preys on, don't do that to your team. Here's to a injury free hard fought game there are no better two teams or no better rivalry in the NFL. I found myself rooting for the Stealers just for this game. GO RAVENS
Tradition? The team is what, 15 years old?
Gimme a break.
Ray Lewis is a killer walking free. Jamal Lewis is a cracjk dealer. They let him go because he was getting old, NOT because he was a convicted criminal. Fabian Washington beats women. Chris McCallister has a history of off-field problems. McGahee has had off-field issues. Derrick Martin was arrested for possession.
What about Suggs "bounty" comment?
I'm sure there are more issues but these are just the ones off the top of my head.
Thugs. Punks. Dirty players. Poor losers. Zero tradition. It all adds up to a classless franchise. The Rats aren't fit to hoild the Steelers jock straps.

I'd love to "take the high road" here, but it's just not possible when talking about the trailor trash of the NFL.

Fire Haley
01-13-2009, 10:25 AM
He did use his body as a crash test dummy and last week,

Ben's head wasn't the problem - it's his throwing shoulder that's been hurt for much of the year. He's back.

He's back throwing tight spirals on the deep balls and crisp strikes to his receivers.

Fast Willie has his burst to the outside back, that's been missing for months with his MCL sprain.

The defense is blazing, well-rested and only gets stronger in the 4th qtr, I like our chances.

Hammer67
01-13-2009, 11:19 AM
Tradition? The team is what, 15 years old?
Gimme a break.
Ray Lewis is a killer walking free. Jamal Lewis is a cracjk dealer. They let him go because he was getting old, NOT because he was a convicted criminal. Fabian Washington beats women. Chris McCallister has a history of off-field problems. McGahee has had off-field issues. Derrick Martin was arrested for possession.
What about Suggs "bounty" comment?
I'm sure there are more issues but these are just the ones off the top of my head.
Thugs. Punks. Dirty players. Poor losers. Zero tradition. It all adds up to a classless franchise. The Rats aren't fit to hoild the Steelers jock straps.

I'd love to "take the high road" here, but it's just not possible when talking about the trailor trash of the NFL.

Hey...they had tradition........In Cleveland!!! :chuckle:

Crushzilla
01-13-2009, 11:28 AM
Did Santonio just say on ESPN that the game was going to be a catfight? :doh:

More specifically, he said it was going to be a dogfight, and as he was thinking of another way to emphasize he automatically went to catfight.

Polamalu Princess
01-13-2009, 11:42 AM
My 2 cents - when the Ravens played Titans last week it was a dirty game and the dirt came from the Rats. They play dirty - period.

Steely McSmash
01-13-2009, 12:01 PM
....can only come from a redneck backward assed town like Baltimore.

Do you think baltimore is more redneck than Pittsburgh?

I'm from Pittsburgh and love it dearly. I think there's more of that hillbilly influence in Pittsburgh as compared to Baltimore, although Baltimore is more southerly.

To properly make fun of Baltimore, may I suggest calling it a pit of urban decay full of crackwh**es and possessing one of the highest rates of mental illness of major US cities?

Almost everyone with any means in Baltimore lives well outside the city. They refer to it as Baltimore County. In the city there are a few decent spots, inner harbor, Fells Pt, Federal Hill and a small pocket around Johns Hopkins. The rest is worse than the worst places in Pittsburgh.

anyway... carry on:tt03:

H8R
01-13-2009, 12:11 PM
Well Well Well, what do we have here? The SteelersFever. Just as I thought, you guys have minimal respect for a team that may very well end your Playoff Run. I hope your players carry the same mentality, it sure would be great to leave your city with the AFC Crown.

Polamalu Princess
01-13-2009, 12:14 PM
:troll::sign02::sign07:Well Well Well, what do we have here? The SteelersFever. Just as I thought, you guys have minimal respect for a team that may very well end your Playoff Run. I hope your players carry the same mentality, it sure would be great to leave your city with the AFC Crown.

H8R
01-13-2009, 12:14 PM
My 2 cents - when the Ravens played Titans last week it was a dirty game and the dirt came from the Rats. They play dirty - period.

Please tell me that isn't a self portrait in you Avatar....

As for the "Rats", we didn't have ANY 15 yarders for after the whistle CRAP. We've been much better as a team for after the play penalties (not Great but better).

fansince'76
01-13-2009, 12:15 PM
Well Well Well, what do we have here? The SteelersFever. Just as I thought, you guys have minimal respect for a team that may very well end your Playoff Run. I hope your players carry the same mentality, it sure would be great to leave your city with the AFC Crown.

Yep, and I'm sure the Steelers are getting nothing but complete respect on Ravens boards. GTF outta here with this. :coffee:

H8R
01-13-2009, 12:19 PM
Actually, you'd be pretty suprised. www.baltimoreravens.com see for yourself. We have a "No Smack talk" Policy.

H8R
01-13-2009, 12:20 PM
Maybe its above you to realize it, but most Ravens fans respect the Steelers eventhough we don't carry a love for THEM.

Polamalu Princess
01-13-2009, 12:21 PM
Real cute.

Please tell me that isn't a self portrait in you Avatar....

H8R
01-13-2009, 12:22 PM
Nope...Not to say the least.

H8R
01-13-2009, 12:24 PM
So, Whats the Score Predictions from the infected? (This is SteelersFever, Right?)

memphissteelergirl
01-13-2009, 12:27 PM

Resorting to personal insults....nice. Too bad you don't bring the so-called "no smack talk" policy from the Ravens board.

If you're going to talk football, fine and dandy. But you need to back the hell up from the insults, or you're gonna get booted from here with the quickness.

fansince'76
01-13-2009, 12:28 PM

Go back to your own board, ass.

DACEB
01-13-2009, 12:28 PM
Actually, you'd be pretty suprised. www.baltimoreravens.com see for yourself. We have a "No Smack talk" Policy.

If you know the rules......

Please tell me that isn't a self portrait in you Avatar...

Then you know you can be banned for personal attacks!

And I'm the real HATER....GTF out ratroll!!

Polamalu Princess
01-13-2009, 12:39 PM
:hug:Thanks everyone!!!!!!:hug:

revefsreleets
01-13-2009, 12:44 PM
How time flies...in just about 104 hours the Steelers will be getting ready to play in yet ANOTHER Super Bowl.

My favorite shut down comment for disgruntled Browns fans is to nonchalantly state that "It's no big deal if we don't win the Super Bowl this year...we'll just be back in a couple years again".

memphissteelergirl
01-13-2009, 12:53 PM
:hug:Thanks everyone!!!!!!:hug:

No probs.....ya know we Steeler sisters gotta stick together! :hug::tt02:

Hockdizzle
01-13-2009, 12:58 PM
steelers win 28 - 17

Polamalu Princess
01-13-2009, 03:22 PM
Poor little Raven...

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a287/rennedo/ATT00001.jpg

This is what they are going to look like when they cannot fly home from Pittsburgh!!!!:tt02:

GBMelBlount
01-13-2009, 09:37 PM
Another P ussy behind a computer screen. Thanks for bouncing that POS Gary.