PDA

View Full Version : Steelers open as 5-point favorite over Ravens

mesaSteeler
01-12-2009, 07:14 AM
Steelers open as 5-point favorite over Ravens
http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/football/bal-odds0111,0,5162334.story
The Associated Press
9:07 PM EST, January 11, 2009

The success of road teams in the NFL playoffs this month has impressed the oddsmakers.

Philadelphia is a 3-point favorite at Arizona in the NFC title game next Sunday, according to the early odds. The Eagles' domination of the defending champion Giants in a 23-11 victory at Giants Stadium led to that line.

Philadelphia was a 5-point underdog in that game.

The Eagles routed the Cardinals 48-20 on Thanksgiving night.

Host Pittsburgh is a 5-point favorite over Baltimore in the AFC championship game. The Steelers beat San Diego 35-24 on Sunday, one day after the Ravens won 13-10 at top-seeded Tennessee.

In the divisional round, the Steelers were favored by 6 over the Chargers, and the Ravens were 2-point underdogs at Tennessee.

Pittsburgh won the AFC North and Baltimore was second, earning a wild card. The Steelers won both regular-season meetings, 23-20 in overtime and 13-9.

Crow-Magnon
01-12-2009, 07:41 AM
I don't know, but in this game I think a 5 point spread makes more sense than 3. It's going to be war, but this is for (almost) all the marbles, so all stops will be pulled on both sides.

Dino 6 Rings
01-12-2009, 07:58 AM
Home team usually gets 3, so its really just a 2 point Spread. Figure they assume Pittsburgh wins by a TD late.

with it being 5, Vegas will get a lot of action on the Ravens.

Crow-Magnon
01-12-2009, 08:02 AM
Home team usually gets 3, so its really just a 2 point Spread. Figure they assume Pittsburgh wins by a TD late.

with it being 5, Vegas will get a lot of action on the Ravens.

They need to do whatever it takes to buffer the soaking they are going to get from the Cardinals. :chuckle:

BrandonCarr39
01-12-2009, 08:03 AM
Either way-Vegas made a KILLING this week. 3/4 of the bye teams lost, while Pitt was the only one covering the spread.

This is why I stray away from gambling-you just CAN'T win. Even the national sports pundits have no idea what they're talking about.

Dino 6 Rings
01-12-2009, 08:07 AM
They need to do whatever it takes to buffer the soaking they are going to get from the Cardinals. :chuckle:

I can't get a feel on the Cardinals, I wouldn't bet a dime on any of their games.

Can they keep winning? Can they keep protecting Warner? Can they keep throwing the ball with Fitz making amazing catches? Can their defense keep stuffing running games?

I wouldn't put money on the Cards...no way no how.

Crow-Magnon
01-12-2009, 08:08 AM
I can't get a feel on the Cardinals, I wouldn't bet a dime on any of their games.

Can they keep winning? Can they keep protecting Warner? Can they keep throwing the ball with Fitz making amazing catches? Can their defense keep stuffing running games?

It's like betting if drunk Uncle Tony will finally stay off the sauce.

BrandonCarr39
01-12-2009, 08:19 AM

Noone gave them a chance against the Falcons, they delivered. Everyone thought the Panthers would take care of business by the 1st quarter, it was the other way around. Now everyone thinks the Eagles will blow them out, even though it's in THEIR backyard. And less not forget the NFCS has the MOST WINS out of all divisions to boot.

BTW-the Eagles haven't impressed me much either. They barely beat a Tavaris Jackson-lead Vikings team, and they struggled to beat a Giants team that has been merely ordinary since Burress went down.

As for the Cards-Wisenhunt made a nice adjustment late in the year to run a more balanced attack(after being pass happy most of the year), and it's paid off. If they continue to do this next week, I would think their pass protection will continue to be pretty good. Fitz is an amazing receiver, BTW-it's as if he'll catch anything you throw at him. And yes-their defense has been playing inspiring football...the same thing has been said about the Eagles.(who had trouble stuffing the Giants running attack)

Crow-Magnon
01-12-2009, 08:33 AM
Noone gave them a chance against the Falcons, they delivered. Everyone thought the Panthers would take care of business by the 1st quarter, it was the other way around. Now everyone thinks the Eagles will blow them out, even though it's in THEIR backyard. And less not forget the NFCS has the MOST WINS out of all divisions to boot.

BTW-the Eagles haven't impressed me much either. They barely beat a Tavaris Jackson-lead Vikings team, and they struggled to beat a Giants team that has been merely ordinary since Burress went down.

As for the Cards-Wisenhunt made a nice adjustment late in the year to run a more balanced attack(after being pass happy most of the year), and it's paid off. If they continue to do this next week, I would think their pass protection will continue to be pretty good. Fitz is an amazing receiver, BTW-it's as if he'll catch anything you throw at him. And yes-their defense has been playing inspiring football...the same thing has been said about the Eagles.(who had trouble stuffing the Giants running attack)

I have to admit the Cards looked awesome against the supposedly superior Panthers.