PDA

View Full Version : Just for Fun – Game Superstitions or Rituals?

Hines4ever
01-12-2009, 10:52 AM
Thought it’d be fun to hear everyone’s game (past or present) superstitions or rituals…..

Here’s mine…..my husband travels a lot for his job. My heart broke for him yesterday as he boarded a plane in Baltimore for California (LA not San Diego) at 3:30 and didn’t get to see ANY of the game……

So, on my way to work this morning I’m thinking how glad I am that he will be home for next week’s AFCCG…. if anything to help keep me from having a nervous breakdown….then I thought again…..

In 2005, he was away for all the playoff games (Italy ) – we won and ultimately went to and won the SB.
Last year, he sat along side me….at home and watched us lose against Jacksonville
And obviously yesterday……we won!

How terrible of a wife would I be if I call his boss today and REQUEST that the be out of town next Sunday???? Cause seriously, I’m thinking about it! :wink02:

TackleMeBen
01-12-2009, 10:54 AM
i would do it if it were me...lol..

i wont allow my kids to touch my terrible towel, b/c when i did we lost.

GodofGridiron
01-12-2009, 10:59 AM
I break out my Bettis and Rothlisberger jerseys along with all three Terrible Towels. I'll wear one jersey, hang the other on my chair that im sitting in then ill take two Terrible Towels and drape them on the edges of the television. The third sits atop my shoulders while im watching.

During Superbowls i watch alone. I wont allow anyone in the same room as me during Superbowls. Im a pacer too. Ill pace when im nervous back and forth a few feet beyond the tv.

Crow-Magnon
01-12-2009, 11:01 AM
This year I joined steelersfever so I could banter with Steelers fans before both games and, uh, and..........

never mind

GodofGridiron
01-12-2009, 11:03 AM
This year I joined steelersfever so I could banter with Steelers fans before both games and, uh, and..........

never mind

You just keep doin what you do Crow..........it works in our favor. So just do that thing you do bro...........lol

markymarc
01-12-2009, 11:43 AM

never mind

And you have been great. It's always fun when opposing fans like yourself are very intelligent and classy. Keep up the good work and and hopefully you will stick around even after the Steelers win on Sunday :chuckle:

Crow-Magnon
01-12-2009, 11:45 AM
And you have been great. It's always fun when opposing fans like yourself are very intelligent and classy. Keep up the good work and and hopefully you will stick around even after the Steelers win on Sunday :chuckle:

Oh, trust me, especially if Philly wins the NFCC.

I worked in Philly for 7+ years. Bad enough they won a WS title, but please! No Super Bowl!

oldschool
01-12-2009, 11:46 AM
We always drape an extra Terrible Towel over the TV in the Steelers Room.

lindsayberra
01-12-2009, 12:07 PM
Hi, my name is Lindsay Berra, I'm a writer for ESPN Magazine, I need to find a Steelers Super Fan with a bunch of crazy game-day rituals to watch the conference finals with for a story for the Magazine and ESPN.com. If you're interested and think you qualify, please email me at lindsay.berra@espn3.com. Thanks!

KeiselPower99
01-12-2009, 12:37 PM
Playoff beard. I did it the year we won the Super Bowl and its back now.

stlrtruck
01-12-2009, 12:42 PM

never mind

then in that case keep it up :wink02: :thumbsup: :drink:

stlrtruck
01-12-2009, 12:45 PM
Well, goes something like this:

Friday, wear the vintage Parker jersey and steelers sneakers to work
Saturday, some Steelers t-shirt, usually of my daughter's choosing
Game day - Hines Ward jersey and now I'm putting two back up jerseys in the truck just in case I need to change them during the game.

Got my terrible towel and one of two hats with the other one in the truck - again in case I need to change the mojo

Finally, PLAYOFF BEARD!!!!

NJarhead
01-12-2009, 12:48 PM
I have a few, but yesterdays is kind of funny:

I always put the Steelers and opponents mini-helmets facing eachother in front of the TV (provided I have the helmet). Well, I didn't have a Chargers helmet so I quickly ran out to get one. Went to two places but I couldn't find one and as I was heading to the one place I knew would have it, my buddy reminded me that I didn't have it in November and we won.....I turned around and went home. Funny how I couldn't find one in the first two places I went.I wasn't meant to have it yesterday.

Corny, I know but I am superstitous.:chuckle:

Crow-Magnon
01-12-2009, 12:49 PM
Well, goes something like this:

Friday, wear the vintage Parker jersey and steelers sneakers to work
Saturday, some Steelers t-shirt, usually of my daughter's choosing
Game day - Hines Ward jersey and now I'm putting two back up jerseys in the truck just in case I need to change them during the game.

Got my terrible towel and one of two hats with the other one in the truck - again in case I need to change the mojo

Finally, PLAYOFF BEARD!!!!

Please, PLEASE tell me you're a dude! :rofl:

moedap
01-12-2009, 12:49 PM
My ritual is to go to work even if I have the day off. Come home and begin playing the team the Steelers are playing on EA Sports Madden NFL. All the while my wife(who is not a fan of football) has to watch the game in the nude and give me the play by play. The only time we did not do this ritual the Steelers lost.

NJarhead
01-12-2009, 01:00 PM
My ritual is to go to work even if I have the day off. Come home and begin playing the team the Steelers are playing on EA Sports Madden NFL. All the while my wife(who is not a fan of football) has to watch the game in the nude and give me the play by play. The only time we did not do this ritual the Steelers lost.

:king: You win.

Dino 6 Rings
01-12-2009, 01:03 PM
I did all I could this weekend to be sure all my rituals were performed...then I noticed my wife, while making me some Pittsburgh Style Peroges for the game, wasn't wearing a jersey...I asked her to put it on...

She came out right after the first TD by San Diego wearing her Bettis jersey we bought in the Burgh while we were there for the 05 Superbowl...and she did a Karate Kick and said "Booyah"...

Next thing I know, we are returning a kick for a Touchdown and Woodley gets a sack and does the same exact Karate Kick...

Booyah indeed...

Crow-Magnon
01-12-2009, 01:10 PM

You win.

No doubt!

steelreserve
01-12-2009, 01:23 PM
Before our opening-round game against the Bengals in '05, I was starving and I ate a HUGE roast beef sandwich right before the start -- I mean at least a foot long and probably a pound of roast beef. So after we won, I ate the same thing next week and we beat the Colts, and since we kept winning, I repeated that throughout the playoffs. I didn't do it last year, and you saw what happened.

So yesterday, I went back to the huge roast beef sandwich at the start of the game, and look at what happened. So I guess that's what'll be for lunch whenever the Steelers are in the playoffs.

Oh, also I got drunk as hell as soon as I was done with the sandwich all of those times, but I usually do that anyway and can't really tell whether it affects the score.

steelreserve
01-12-2009, 01:29 PM
Hi, my name is Lindsay Berra, I'm a writer for ESPN Magazine, I need to find a Steelers Super Fan with a bunch of crazy game-day rituals to watch the conference finals with for a story for the Magazine and ESPN.com. If you're interested and think you qualify, please email me at lindsay.berra@espn3.com. Thanks!

I don't know what counts as crazy game-day rituals, but if you want to sit around with us drinking Olde English "800" all day, feel free to stop by.

rbryan
01-12-2009, 01:36 PM
I break out my Bettis and Rothlisberger jerseys along with all three Terrible Towels. I'll wear one jersey, hang the other on my chair that im sitting in then ill take two Terrible Towels and drape them on the edges of the television. The third sits atop my shoulders while im watching.

During Superbowls i watch alone. I wont allow anyone in the same room as me during Superbowls. Im a pacer too. Ill pace when im nervous back and forth a few feet beyond the tv.

I drape two Steeler Jerseys over a chair on opposite sides of the room. I never wear the jerseys gameday because that brings bad luck. As much as I hate to not represent, I've endured too many heartbreaking moments when I did.

The worst part is that I actually believe this has an effect on the outcome of the game. I have issues.....lol

7steelcurtain5
01-12-2009, 01:41 PM
I've got one for you that has me and my buddies REAL MOTIVATED. We are voting to win a Steelers Tempt Destiny billboard. The history is each time this billboard happens the team on it goes on to win the Super Bowl - a 3-for-3 track record!

Wish us luck, the damn Ravens fans have been catching up to us. :helmet:

KeiselPower99
01-12-2009, 01:42 PM
Before our opening-round game against the Bengals in '05, I was starving and I ate a HUGE roast beef sandwich right before the start -- I mean at least a foot long and probably a pound of roast beef. So after we won, I ate the same thing next week and we beat the Colts, and since we kept winning, I repeated that throughout the playoffs. I didn't do it last year, and you saw what happened.

So yesterday, I went back to the huge roast beef sandwich at the start of the game, and look at what happened. So I guess that's what'll be for lunch whenever the Steelers are in the playoffs.

Oh, also I got drunk as hell as soon as I was done with the sandwich all of those times, but I usually do that anyway and can't really tell whether it affects the score.

mmmmmm roast beef.....

Pi Kapp Steeler
01-12-2009, 02:11 PM
Playoff beard. I did it the year we won the Super Bowl and its back now.

Crap, I shaved today I hope I didnt jinx it! :doh:

LVSteelersfan
01-12-2009, 02:19 PM
I cannot wear Steelers anything if I watch the game at home. It seems they always lose if I do. If I go out, I wear my Steelers gear. For the first Baltimore game, we were losing and I brought out my Steelers nutcracker and put it on top of the TV and we won. So you can BET that nutcracker will be on top of the TV for this next game.

Tomwin
01-12-2009, 04:20 PM
I lather myself in peptobismol then proceed to bang 2 pans together until the cops arrive. if said cops dont arrive within 3 hours i may or may not travel to walmart and sing the lamchops song over the loudspeaker until asked to leave... at which point i relather myself in said peptobismol and run full speed into the nearest wall. this normally gurantees a steeler victory.

SteelersinCA
01-12-2009, 04:45 PM
In 05 I bought a new Roethlisberger jersey and for some reason I never took the tags off. We kept winning so I kept them on. I also drank copious amounts of Capt. and Coke during the games. Me and my buddies would buy a handle of Capt for each game.

I didn't do any of that last year because i was too busy with work and this year we got a new puppy, so every game during the regular season I would let my dog curl up with my original terrible towel. Every time he kept it on the Steelers won. Every time he was restless and didn't curl up with it, they lost.

Needless to say, I wore the #7 jersey, the Steelers T-shirt, a new Steelers hat (with tags) drank a half a handle of Capt and the dog wore the towel!!!!

wardislord
01-12-2009, 04:55 PM
well since i'm female i can't grow a playoff beard...

...but i haven't shaved my legs since the end of the regular season and i won't until we're out or win the superbowl.

...yea it's kinda gross but i guess it counts!

tony hipchest
01-12-2009, 06:32 PM

hi lindsay,

before every sunday i like to meet a random lady on the internet and invite her over to watch the game with me, and make out with her for good luck. :thumbsup: does that count? :wink02:

:popcorn:

BehindSteelCurtain
01-12-2009, 07:28 PM
SB>Husband

KeiselPower99
01-12-2009, 08:46 PM
well since i'm female i can't grow a playoff beard...

...but i haven't shaved my legs since the end of the regular season and i won't until we're out or win the superbowl.

...yea it's kinda gross but i guess it counts!

Hmmm are you my wife????? She said she was gonna do that too until I shave my beard off.

Rick5895
01-12-2009, 11:06 PM
I wear the same clothes (clean of course, lol) right down to underwear and socks every game. In addition , I break out the limited edition Jack Lambert picture and hang it facing the T.V as well as Polamalu and lambert action figurines facing the tv on a tv table.

BleedBlacknGold0
01-13-2009, 12:55 AM
I work out of town most weekends at trade shows. My rituals are to DVR the games, turn off the cell phone and not listen to the radio in the truck for 2-3 hours on the way home. I actually wont even wear my jerseys out during that time or any Steelers attire in case somebody would see me at the gas station or something and give me any hints on the outcome of the game.

wardislord
01-13-2009, 01:08 AM
Hmmm are you my wife????? She said she was gonna do that too until I shave my beard off.

...haha well now i know i'm not the only one

zsheik22
01-13-2009, 01:12 AM
Put on the Miller jersey with a terrible towel in my pants over my left leg.

Get a giant eagle cookie cake and eat so much of it that it turns my poo to a blueish/green color from the black and gold food coloring mixing together.

Blast Kernkraft 400 and the final countdown

Watch the game and look at stats at the same time. Running to my computer during the commercials and zooming back when the game starts.

SteelersinCA
01-13-2009, 01:23 AM
I was cool without the poop reference, haha!!!

KYMDFAN
01-13-2009, 01:30 AM
I like to move everything that is fragile out of the room. I stretch my vocal cords before the game with a "kill them" or two. I like to get my voice ready so it doesn't fail me during the most important plays. I hate having prepubescent levels when i'm yelling at the Ravens for a bad play.

I load up on fattening foods, the unhealthiest and greasiest food I can find. Stuff I wouldn't normally eat. I barely eat any of it but well how can you watch football with clean fingers and feel like you accomplished anything.

Before the game I pray. I don't pray any other time of the year but before the Ravens play. I don't get to see many Ravens games but God hears from me at least twice a year.

I then proceed to flex my fingers and get them ready for the almighty cross. It is a skill to be able to cross your fingers for three hours straight.

Then I sit down and watch the game, fingers crossed.

I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
01-13-2009, 01:53 AM
We almost always win when I wear my "I Bleed Black And Gold" t-shirt (hence the name), but the two times I wore my Ward jersey on gameday, we lost...