PDA

View Full Version : SI.com's All-Disappointment Team: Who didn't play up to par in 2008 ~ ~ ~

TackleMeBen
01-12-2009, 11:11 AM
SI.com's All-Disappointment Team: Who didn't play up to par in 2008

With my colleague Peter King naming his NFL All-Pro team today, it seemed like the perfect time to provide you with the flip side of awards season. Each and every week in the NFL, there's a loser for every winner, and therein provides the fodder for my second annual NFL All-Disappointment team, which the snappy headline writers here at SI.com last year dubbed my All-Bust team (thanks a bunch, guys). Consider it a who's who of NFL underachievement in 2008:

~ ~ ~ Offensive guard
Dishonorable mention: Alan Faneca, Jets -- Contrary to popular opinion among the media and fans, some within the league believe Faneca didn't come close to earning his big money in New York this season.
i thought this one was interesting, b/c alot of people were mad that we let him go.

Quarterback

Derek Anderson (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/players/7389), Browns -- Nobody fell further faster than Anderson in 2008. From a Pro Bowl appearance in February to a new three-year, $24 million contract extension shortly thereafter, to the bench after the Browns' dismal 3-5 start. Oh, and did we mention Cleveland fans cheering after he went down for the season with a knee injury in a Week 13 game against the Colts?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...eam/index.html (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/don_banks/01/07/all-disappointment-team/index.html)

revefsreleets
01-12-2009, 11:19 AM
(Tooting my own whistle)

Called both these...

MasterOfPuppets
01-12-2009, 12:51 PM
i didn't pay a whole lot of attention to faneca , or the jets, but they did have a heck of a lot more success in thier running then they had before faneca. :noidea:

Dino 6 Rings
01-12-2009, 01:14 PM
I would go with Chad Johnson in Cincy...what a failure of a season he had.

I'd also go with the entire Buffalo organization...they were dreadful.

MasterOfPuppets
01-12-2009, 01:19 PM
how can tony romo not be on this list.....:noidea:

Dino 6 Rings
01-12-2009, 01:20 PM
how can tony romo not be on this list.....:noidea:

Dalls QB, its never their fault. Its the oline, the coaching, the defense, or the receivers...but never the Dallas QBs fault.

Besides, I'm thinking that most people in this country now recognize, that Romo, is a choker.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-12-2009, 02:09 PM
Yeah, good list. Maybe if Caricker underperforms more he can play here as a DE.

Faneca wasnt worth the $$, but he is probably now the 5th best OG in the league. He still anchored a much improved Jets 0-Line.

McFadden is my favorite. Career is still young, but I said he was probably the 3rd best RB in the draft and would be an average NFL back if not a situational RB only.

KeiselPower99
01-12-2009, 08:50 PM
McFadden and Bush coule make the Raiders a decent RB tandem in the future with the right coach.

revefsreleets
01-12-2009, 09:38 PM
Yeah, good list. Maybe if Caricker underperforms more he can play here as a DE.

Faneca wasnt worth the $$, but he is probably now the 5th best OG in the league. He still anchored a much improved Jets 0-Line.

McFadden is my favorite. Career is still young, but I said he was probably the 3rd best RB in the draft and would be an average NFL back if not a situational RB only.

But it was a GREAT call for the Steelers NOT to pay him #1 or #2 money, especially for 4 or 5 years. He went from the best guard to the 5th best (this is obviously subjective but for arguments sake lets go with it) in just a year or two. How overpaid will Faneca be in another two years? What kind of sacred cow status will he hold on the Jets? Look how they coddled Favre.

This was a great FO move by the Steelers, and it will become clearer and clearer over the next season or two...

RoethlisBURGHer
01-12-2009, 10:00 PM
I really dont thing Faneca deserves to be on that list.

He played very well. He's always been a good run blocker, he's just decent in pass blocking. He was huge in transforming that Jets offensive line.

Plus, it ain't his fault Favre's arm turned to Jello towards the end of the season. Faneca doesn't make Favre throw picks into triple coverage.

BehindSteelCurtain
01-12-2009, 10:11 PM
I think he listed too many rookies. Dorsey, McFadden, Gholston. Give em time.

RoethlisBURGHer
01-12-2009, 10:19 PM
I think he listed too many rookies. Dorsey, McFadden, Gholston. Give em time.

That's true. IMHO, you cannot begin to label a draft pick as a dissapointment or a bust until after thier third season.

McFadden showed some glimpses, but he was in a rotation with Fargas and Bush. Not to mention a toe injury...people don't think a toe injury would really effect a player...but youpush off and cut basicly on your toes.

Dorsey is gonna be an excellent DT, but that defense needs a whole lot more than just him to be successful. A knee injury doesn't help your first year development either.

Gholston, IMHO, isn't a good fit as an every down OLB. He'd be better suited as a DE in a 4-3 scheme where his job is basicly pass rush or tackle the RB before he gets to the edge. He's not going to be any good in coverage because he's just too big.

jjpro11
01-12-2009, 10:27 PM
thomas jones went from 1 rushing td and 3.6 ypc to a pro bowler averaging 4.5 ypc. faneca is still one of the best run blocking linemen out there.

lilyoder6
01-12-2009, 10:42 PM
i do think that mcfadden was a bad choice.. but dorsey and gholsten were right.. gholsten was supposed to be effing great and he epically failed... and dorsey should of stayed in college 1 more yr

The Duke
01-12-2009, 10:48 PM
Faneca definitely helped revitalize the jets oline

But his play did slip. He's never been that good of a pass blocker, but he's didn't improve even when he got his desired paycheck. And it didn't help that the jets were more of a passing team

One could also blame having to protect a slow favre....

He is still better than what we have at guard but he isn't worth being the highest paid lineman in NFL history

Though I think jake long is the highest paid now...

Godfather
01-12-2009, 11:33 PM
i do think that mcfadden was a bad choice.. but dorsey and gholsten were right.. gholsten was supposed to be effing great and he epically failed... and dorsey should of stayed in college 1 more yr

I wish Dorsey had stayed at LSU another year. Unfortunately his eligibility was up.

BrandonCarr39
01-12-2009, 11:53 PM
~ ~ ~ Offensive guard
Dishonorable mention: Alan Faneca, Jets -- Contrary to popular opinion among the media and fans, some within the league believe Faneca didn't come close to earning his big money in New York this season.

Or how about Mangini abandoning the run game in the final sprint? He sure could have used his strengths right there.

Preacher
01-13-2009, 12:15 AM
(Tooting my own whistle)

Called both these...

I really could have cared less about D.A., but I beleive you and I both were about the loudest voices on this board about saying goodbye to Faneca... I was saying it in the middle of last season matter of fact.

fansince'76
01-13-2009, 08:43 AM
Cornerback

DeAngelo Hall, Raiders/Redskins -- The mind boggles at the fact Oakland gave Atlanta second- and fifth-round picks for Hall last offseason, and then handed him a seven-year, $70 million contract that included $24.5 million of guarantees. He got torched so routinely this season that the Raiders released him after just eight games, for which he was paid $8 million. He then signed with the Redskins and resumed his underachieving ways.

I remember more than a couple people here wishing we would break our tradition of not pursuing overrated, overpriced malcontents with piss-poor attitudes and go after this clown when he was available early last Spring too. Think the Rooneys might have a clue as to what they're doing now, folks?

MDSteel15
01-13-2009, 10:56 AM
Qb should be Alex "the Bust" Smith and Favre
RB should be Larry Johnson or Jones in Seattle
WR shold be Braylon "drops" Edwards and Plax
DE Jason Taylor very deserving!!
Gholson is the only Rookie that should be on there....
Can't see why Faneca is on there. Jets fans I know are so happy they have a run game that they think he's God!

BrandonCarr39
01-13-2009, 11:50 AM
Remember once upon a time ago last year, Arizona had big salary cap problems largely b/c of the boneheaded rookie contract they gave to Larry Fitzgerald. With incentives et al that even the halfway decent FOs wouldn't have done, Fitz had some $14m cap figure going into this year. B/c of that(and his initial refusal to renegotiate), they almost went into desperation and tried to trade him to the EAGLES for a washed up Lito Sheppard, Turdston Justice, and a #2. I mean Wow...that would have been HIGHWAY ROBBERY on the part of the Eagles. I know they're in the NFCCG now, but with Fitz, they would have ruled the NFC and their path to the NFCCG would have been alot more easier.

Anyhow-pt being that Faneca was Wisenhunt's apple of his eye, but b/c of the cap figure Fitz had(and his initial refusal to renegotiate), they weren't able to sign him. Even though Fitz finally gave in at the end, the damage already had been done. Problems apparently persisted as there was concern over whether they could keep other players to make room for the cap, whether they could sign all their draft picks, etc. It was as if their FO was the biggest joke of the NFL.

You wanna know what's funny too? After this, Fitz said something like, "I'm looking forward to winning a championship with this team". Fast forward a year later...

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-13-2009, 12:04 PM
But it was a GREAT call for the Steelers NOT to pay him #1 or #2 money, especially for 4 or 5 years. He went from the best guard to the 5th best (this is obviously subjective but for arguments sake lets go with it) in just a year or two. How overpaid will Faneca be in another two years? What kind of sacred cow status will he hold on the Jets? Look how they coddled Favre.

This was a great FO move by the Steelers, and it will become clearer and clearer over the next season or two...
I completely agree!! Now if they only had drafted Carl Nicks, the would have had a starting guard next season for less than $1million.

Nicks looked as though he would be a second-round choice in the 2008 draft after an impressive senior season at Nebraska and a good week of practice at the Senior Bowl, but an off-the-field incident dropped him into the fifth round.

The Saints moved him from tackle to left offensive guard.

Nicks struggled at times early on, but once he got some experience under his belt, he really looked impressive.

This huge young man is an explosive run blocker and has excellent movement skills for a big man. In recent weeks, Nicks has improved as a pass blocker.http://www.houmatoday.com/article/20081228/OPINION01/812270297/1103/SPORTS?Title=Focusing_on_the_positives_as_Saints_c lose_disappointing_season_

Dino 6 Rings
01-13-2009, 01:07 PM
I really could have cared less about D.A., but I beleive you and I both were about the loudest voices on this board about saying goodbye to Faneca... I was saying it in the middle of last season matter of fact.

woop! I was on that wagon, just not as loudly.

T.Richardson
01-14-2009, 11:03 PM
I remember all the talks about the Browns and how derek anderson would finally beat the Steelers....ha!

Rhee Rhee
01-15-2009, 03:27 AM
i didn't pay a whole lot of attention to faneca , or the jets, but they did have a heck of a lot more success in thier running then they had before faneca. :noidea:

don't forget to factor in favre in the equation as well..