PDA

View Full Version : Woodley resurfaces as defensive force

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-12-2009, 11:19 AM
Woodley resurfaces as defensive force
By Bill Allmann
Times Sports Correspondent
Published: Monday, January 12, 2009 12:04 AM EST

PITTSBURGH — The Pittsburgh Steelers have been recognized as the best defense in the NFL, and James Harrison has generally been recognized as the best player on that defense, earning NFL Defensive Player of the Year honors.

But the other linebackers aren’t too shabby, either. James Farrior led the team in tackles with nine in Sunday’s 35-24 divisional round win over San Diego. Larry Foote was second with five and had the game’s only interception.

Tied with Foote with five tackles was the Steelers’ fourth linebacker, LaMarr Woodley — the linebacker who had been hearing questions about whether he had hit the wall after not recording a sack in the last four games. After recording 9.5 in the first eight games, he recorded just two in the last eight.

Then he recorded two of San Diego’s Phillip Rivers Sunday.

“I can’t say I came into the game with a chip on my shoulder personally,” Woodley said. “We came in with a chip on our shoulder as a whole team. You either win or go home.

“The opportunities were there for me and I just didn’t let Rivers get away. Once I got the first one early (4:05 left in the first quarter), I thought I’d get another before the day was over.”

Woodley got his second sack of the day on the second play of the fourth quarter. By then the Steelers had a 21-10 lead and had just controlled the ball for all but one play of the third quarter.

On that one play, the Steelers recorded an interception as Brett Keisel tipped a pass and Foote intercepted it.

“That one play was a big one,” Woodley said. “It gave the defense a chance to rest the whole third quarter, and give kudos to the offense for doing that. We gave up some big plays in the fourth quarter, though.”

San Diego gained 146 of its 290 total yards in the final 12 minutes after Pittsburgh had an 18-point lead but, realistically, the issue was settled by then. Now the Steelers play the Baltimore Ravens for the third time, this time with a trip to the Super Bowl at stake.

“It’s going to be tough to beat a team for the third time in one season,” said Harrison. “The game is going to be like the first two, though: hard-hitting and low scoring.”

That’s the kind of game this group of linebackers likes to play.

http://www.timesonline.com/articles/2009/01/12/sports/steelers/doc496acd4076270175277448.txt

stlrtruck
01-12-2009, 01:01 PM
So much for being tired and warn down.

Hammer67
01-12-2009, 01:02 PM
Did he ever leave? Why do the media think sacks are the only measure of a linebacker?

MDSteel15
01-12-2009, 01:06 PM
And you guys were worried..........

markymarc
01-12-2009, 01:16 PM
I hope Woodley saved some of that sack magic for the Rats :tt02:

Petesburgh66
01-12-2009, 01:47 PM
I hope Woodley saved some of that sack magic for the Rats :tt02:

Woodley will need to have the same type of game with week, considering Harrison will be double teamed.

MasterOfPuppets
01-12-2009, 01:51 PM
Woodley will need to have the same type of game with week, considering Harrison will be double teamed.why double team him, when they can just hold and tackle him on almost every play and get away with it? :banging:

Pi Kapp Steeler
01-12-2009, 02:19 PM
If Penn State is Linebacker U, the Steelers must be Linebacker internship program or something. Because we produce such great LBs year in and year out .

Coming attractions: Lawrence Timmons and Bruce Davis

SCSTILLER
01-12-2009, 03:04 PM
Woodley will need to have the same type of game with week, considering Harrison will be double teamed.

Hopefully he will! I heard that the Ravens RT was injured and may not play. That is a huge plus for us!

devilsdancefloor
01-12-2009, 03:11 PM
why double team him, when they can just hold and tackle him on almost every play and get away with it? :banging:

No shiat i seen at least 2 times yesterday where mcneil just tackled him and another time he had him around the neck!!! it is so sickening!!:banging::banging:

Polamalu43
01-12-2009, 03:39 PM
It was funny when woodley sacked rivers, then the douch rivers tried kicking lamar while he was on the floor.. lol

SteelerFanInCA
01-12-2009, 03:48 PM
The best part of yesterday's game was watching Woodely make Rivers a permanent part of Heinz Field.

Rivers didn't know if he was coming or going after that throw down.

steelpride12
01-12-2009, 04:09 PM
Man this kid is playing his second season, and his first starting every game. Tying for first in the league with 4 fumble recovers adding on to that was his 11.5 sacks and 2 last night against the Chargers. He is a beast in the pass rush and once he becomes a good cover line backer he will be one of the best and most recognized in the league.

BehindSteelCurtain
01-12-2009, 07:38 PM
Woodley just needed rest. He's back in form now.

BehindSteelCurtain
01-12-2009, 07:42 PM
The best part of yesterday's game was when Woodley panacked Sproles. Did that play make anybody else's day.

jjpro11
01-12-2009, 08:15 PM
woodley has already shown he is a big game player.. he has 4 sacks in only 2 playoff games and was playing spot duty in last year's game vs the jags.

RoethlisBURGHer
01-12-2009, 09:25 PM
I don't think Woodley fell off. He had a ton of pressure on passers over those past four games, he just didn't get there int ime for the sack.

I can't wait to see what Woodley has in store for Flacco.

And as for them holding Harrison...I have read so many stories about Mean Joe Greene and what he used to do to guys that would hold him. If Harrison could get away with some of the stuff Mean Joe did to those guys, he'd never be held again.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-13-2009, 12:48 AM
I am a huge fan of Woodley's, but after watching the game again, the Chargers need to know better than to block him with a TE or FB.

The sacks came as he steamrolled Manumaleuna and Jacob Hester.

Rhee Rhee
01-13-2009, 01:02 AM
why double team him, when they can just hold and tackle him on almost every play and get away with it? :banging:

did u see that hold on james harrison!?!?!??!! i just remember one play the fans saw the replay on the screen and the place went nuts with booos... i was disgusted... great officiating!

Galax Steeler
01-13-2009, 04:30 AM
I hope Woodley gives Flapco a good beating this sunday we need to stay on him and if the wood plays like he did against the chargers Flapco better look out.