PDA

View Full Version : Keys to beating the Ravens

Shreveport Steeler
01-12-2009, 01:29 PM
First of all, I think the most important thing in this game is to get to Joe Flacco. We need to blitz early and often. Hopefully we can rattle Flacco some and force him into some bad throws. I think he will feel the pressure of being a rookie in an AFC Championship game.

Next, we have to get the running game going. Our offensive line play will be crucial because we go as they go on offense. If we can get some good yards out of FWP and Moore, then it will open up the passing game. With Rolle and Leonhard injured, Ben will have open receivers down field.

I look forward to an absolute battle. 1 win away from the Super Bowl! :tt03:

Pi Kapp Steeler
01-12-2009, 01:36 PM
GET TO FLACCO!!!!!!!

If we can get to Flacco and try to make this allstar qb play like a rookie. We will have a good chance of winning. You cant underestimate this kid and just assume the playoff atmosphere are going to rattle him. Our defense play just as hard if they were going up against a Tom Brady or Manning.

:tt03:

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-12-2009, 01:49 PM
I mentioned before that the Dolphins used both Cobbs and Polite from the FB position to gain some yards on the Ravens in the 1st quarter of the wildcard game.

The Dolphins run a fake pitch to the tailback, then a counter-trap to their FB and it went for 11 yards against the Ravens. The Ravens pursue to motion and any kind of misdirection like this puts them on their heels a bit.

Gotta stop their run game and make Flacco beat you. On offense, we gotta run the ball and wear them down, but mix in some passing to that depleated secondary.

This is a game that some Arians creativity can really benefit the Steelers offense.

westcoastransplant
01-12-2009, 01:57 PM
Making Flacco as uncomfortable will be key. In the last game, the D battered him around and he ended up making stupid mistakes.

Second would be to keep up the running game. If that happens, it should take some pressure off Ben.

Tomwin
01-12-2009, 02:44 PM
I say bench the starters and get ready for the superbowl ...seriously the ravens??? :rofl:

Polamalu43
01-12-2009, 02:46 PM
the KEYS are:

#1 Blitzing flacco and getting pressure..

#2 DL needs to dominate in the trenches

#3 stop there Running game

#4 make less mental mistakes then them..

WITH THAT SAID WE WIN..

Frankie3521
01-12-2009, 02:48 PM
I say bench the starters and get ready for the superbowl ...seriously the ravens??? :rofl:

LOL!

I think the key is getting pressure on Flacco and containing the run. If we do this and limit the turnovers, I don't think we will have any problems in this game.

Steel_Bus_24
01-12-2009, 02:53 PM
Yeah getting Flacco out of his comfort zone will be key again.Getting them out of that overstacked line formation

Our best scenario would be to score early and make Flacco throw more...something like 10-14 point lead by mid 2nd would be awesome

Polamalu43
01-12-2009, 02:58 PM
It's going to be a back-alley gang fight. The keys will be holding on to the ball when they're trying to beat it out of us, playing conservative and mistake free, and maintaining the resolve to outlast them, 'cuz this game is going to go to whoever wants it the most.

I don't see any way we get out of this game without any injuries.

I hope so... :coffee:

SunshineMan21
01-12-2009, 03:04 PM
Creative offense. I have faith in our D, but we need to mix up the playbook and find ways to run fast-developing plays so we can keep Ben upright.

Burghfan58
01-12-2009, 03:21 PM
No turnovers = WIN:tt03::tt03::tt03::tt03: The Ravens have been living off them all season.

plenewken
01-12-2009, 03:57 PM
Score more points than them and this should be enough to win.:thumbsup:

Polamalu43
01-12-2009, 03:58 PM
Score more points than them and this should be enough to win.:thumbsup:

:toofunny:

Steel Mountain
01-12-2009, 04:11 PM
I really hate to say this, but so far Flacco has shown zero signs of getting flustered. We need to forget about that approach and just play Steeler football! Smack everyone in the mouth just as they do and let the big dog eat! They are a tired banged up team that has not had a week off since week 3. If we play disciplined ball, no turn overs, some pressure and a sound running game....no worries. Rookie Coach+Rookie QB= worries for them. Mike T. + our D= worries for them. Healthy Ben+FWP= worries for them.
Injured Suggs et al.= worries for them. I am finding a hard time looking for things to worry about.

stlrtruck
01-12-2009, 04:23 PM
I was thinking about this today as I was out and about.

1) Our O-line will be the X-factor in this game. Ben has been beat up by the ratbirds over the last few years and this isn't the best O-line he's had. However, yesterday they proved a lot and I think they are getting that confidence and geling. With the ratbirds defense hurting that could spell doom for them.

2) Stop McClain on those little inside hand offs. He's been good on those and it's hurt a lot of teams.

3) McGahee is the reliever and when fresh he can be dangerous. However, punch him in the mouth a few times and he'll quiet down.

4) When we have the ball, use stab-it ray's aggression against him. He is getting to the point that he can only go one direction and that's forward. He's still good but he's old and his best performance is the run stop. Watch how he plays. If he's crowding the line and rushing all the time, use the screen against him. While he's still got the speed to catch it down field - it is still better to have 2nd/3rd and short than a 3rd and 10.

4) Stab-it ray may be the emotional leader of the ratbirds but Ed Reed is the leader on the field. Keep the ball out of his hands and let Hines Ward block him down field a few times. Getting jacked up is not Ed's favorite past time.

5) HEATH MILLER. Like the ratbirds a few years ago, TE is the key. We saw it yesterday in the 3rd - Heath took over and was key in blocking situations as well as release valve.

6) Take what they give us. We don't need to win the game in the first quarter. We need to win it in the 4th when the clock reads 00:00. Our WRs have proven that they can move the ball and there's no need to go for the gusto all the time. Go ahead and take the shots down field but again, don't let Ed Reed play centerfield.

7) Flacco. He's been impressive this season, just as Ben was his. We don't have to sack him a lot, but we do need to hit him and let him know that we are there. In the titans game, he was making some errant throws into double coverage - and while the WRs did a good job of catching, sooner or later the odds will favor the DB.

MasterOfPuppets
01-12-2009, 04:37 PM
get hines ward to jack up a few of thier players.....

Dino 6 Rings
01-12-2009, 04:44 PM
Remember, they have MALE CHEERLEADERS!

That should be enough for us to kick their ARSES!

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/People/Cheer/Male_Stunt_Team.aspx

RavensD
01-12-2009, 04:48 PM

lol...well, you saw how well that worked for Tennessee

RavensD
01-12-2009, 04:49 PM

Cmon, dude, don't go there :crying01:

BehindSteelCurtain
01-12-2009, 06:30 PM
The keys to this game is....Avoid TOs
Create TOs and Get to Flacco. Flacco has been awesome but he is still a rookie.

welder4pit
01-12-2009, 06:38 PM
take away run game. rattle flacco. and take away derrick mason

xbroughneck
01-12-2009, 06:55 PM
3rd and short.

Achieve 3rd and short by not wasting downs with incomplete passes, and roll out runs that get stopped for a loss.

Run the ball from the I formation...(GET McHugh ready to block that truck Lewis). Run the ball 60% of the time. Roll Ben out of the pocket more.

If the Steelers can convert their 3rd downs, don't turn the ball over and play Steeler football (run) they should be fine.

Oh...

AND DON'T THROW THE BALL TO ANYONE ED REED IS COVERING!!!!

Polamalu43
01-12-2009, 07:44 PM

LMFAO.. :rofl:

HometownGal
01-12-2009, 07:48 PM

A couple of them look a little fruity, but male cheerleaders works for me! :applaudit::thumbsup: The only disappointment is that they aren't half naked like the female cheerleaders. :chuckle:

The key to beating the Rats? Don't turn the ball over, keep pounding the ball at 'em, no stupid penalties, and blitz the living hell out of Flacco.

The team who wins the turnover battle wins the game. :tt03:

Polamalu43
01-12-2009, 07:50 PM
A couple of them look a little fruity, but male cheerleaders works for me! :applaudit::thumbsup: The only disappointment is that they aren't half naked like the female cheerleaders. :chuckle:

The key to beating the Rats? Don't turn the ball over, keep pounding the ball at 'em, no stupid penalties, and blitz the living hell out of Flacco.

The team who wins the turnover battle wins the game. :tt03:

Thank God Hometown.. :puke:

revefsreleets
01-12-2009, 09:18 PM
Flacco Flacco Flacco...

Flacco won't beat us. He's a so-so QB who plays in a running offense. He may have a future as an NFL QB, but he may not.

The Rats can win this game if they can run. It's all predicated upon the run. If they find a way to bust our D for some big runs, they can stay in the game and hope for something to happen in the 4th quarter. Otherwise they hang for 3 quarters and we pull away in the 4th...

Crow-Magnon
01-12-2009, 09:25 PM

I agree. Please do!

lilyoder6
01-12-2009, 09:30 PM
the keys to this game will obv be TO's but field pos as well.. we all know that both defenses will be on fire and crushing ppl left and right.. hopefully stover's injury is more serious so he can't kick as far and accurate

Shreveport Steeler
01-12-2009, 09:57 PM
Flacco won't beat us. He's a so-so QB who plays in a running offense. He may have a future as an NFL QB, but he may not.

I'm not saying that Flacco will beat us with his ability alone. I'm saying we need to blitz him and force him to make some bad throws or interceptions.

RavenManiac
01-13-2009, 01:32 AM
The easiest way to beat us handily is to pass on us...a LOT. Our pass defense is dubious at best. We just get chunked right down the field until teams get into FG range (field shortens up, we stop giving and maintaining 20 yard cushions). In FG range, you can still pass on us, you just have to be a little more careful not to turn it over. Against bad teams we can hold them or turn them over right around the 30, against good teams, not so much. Point is, if you pass, you will never go three and out against us, and 9/10 times you will find yourself at our 30 yard line. Only if you run into the line on first and second down, and get unlucky on your 3rd and long pass, can you go three and out against us.

BTW, I am not kidding. This is an honest assessment made of watching every minute of every Ravens game.

Of course, most teams/head coaches, for whatever reason, come out and try to "establish the run", keep the score close, play it safe, blah blah against us. We, with our play it safe, mediocre offense oblige in keeping it close by doing the same. Then at the end of the game, if we are ahead, and time is running out, our opponent starts to pass, and walllaa, right down the field, and we lose (or we get lucky turnover...often against bad teams/QBs, rarely against good teams/QBs).

Anyway, I hope the Steelers do not take my advice, and they stay content with running it into the line, keeping it close and low scoring and "playing it safe" for most of the game, because that is the only possible (slim) way we can beat you guys (to steal one at the end of a low scoring game).

Preacher
01-13-2009, 01:42 AM
The easiest way to beat us handily is to pass on us...a LOT. Our pass defense is dubious at best. We just get chunked right down the field until teams get into FG range (field shortens up, we stop giving and maintaining 20 yard cushions). In FG range, you can still pass on us, you just have to be a little more careful not to turn it over. Against bad teams we can hold them or turn them over right around the 30, against good teams, not so much. Point is, if you pass, you will never go three and out against us, and 9/10 times you will find yourself at our 30 yard line. Only if you run into the line on first and second down, and get unlucky on your 3rd and long pass, can you go three and out against us.

BTW, I am not kidding. This is an honest assessment made of watching every minute of every Ravens game.

Of course, most teams/head coaches, for whatever reason, come out and try to "establish the run", keep the score close, play it safe, blah blah against us. We, with our play it safe, mediocre offense oblige in keeping it close by doing the same. Then at the end of the game, if we are ahead, and time is running out, our opponent starts to pass, and walllaa, right down the field, and we lose (or we get lucky turnover...often against bad teams/QBs, rarely against good teams/QBs).

Anyway, I hope the Steelers do not take my advice, and they stay content with running it into the line, keeping it close and low scoring and "playing it safe" for most of the game, because that is the only possible (slim) way we can beat you guys (to steal one at the end of a low scoring game).

Good assessment....

Thought I think running will also do it. I don't think the Ravens have the team speed to follow Willie to the sidelines all game. So you give it to Willie with a mindset that he is going to purposefully bounce it outside now that he is healthy. Once the CB's start run protecting as well was pass protecting. We can walk right down the field on medium throws and PA's. catch them the wrong way, and Willie can go righ up the middle for 30 or 40 yards.

It can happen because I still feel, beyond everything else, that this Ravens team is just too tired and too emotionally spent.

I hope I am right.

NoFieldFive
01-13-2009, 01:58 AM
if we have third and short or go for it on fourth down and short - do not go up the middle...that has not worked for us but they keep trying to ram it up the middle for short yardage. if an up the middle run then send Ben for a qb sneak but giving it to a running back up the middle for short yardage has had little success.

another key - don't get into the fun and first and second and pass on third. mix it up. don't be predictable.

once in a while come up in the hurry up/shot gun formation. that's the only time we moved the ball last time we played them. against Dallas too.

stlrtruck
01-13-2009, 10:16 AM
take away run game. rattle flacco. and take away derrick mason

And Heap!

stlrtruck
01-13-2009, 10:18 AM
And while we're at it, let's keep the ball for all but 17 seconds of the 2nd and 3rd quarter!!!