PDA

View Full Version : My Last Super Bowl

Crockett1965
01-12-2009, 03:27 PM
This will most likely be my last Super Bowl as I am terminally ill.

I have been a Steelers fan since 1971. Growing up in New York and then Chicago was tough going against the Giants, Jets and Bears but I hung in there and got in lots of fights over it which I always won, lol!

Many of my friends have asked me what I would like to do if I could do anything. I always answer the same; I want to see the Steelers win 1 more Super Bowl. They all think that I should be asking for something more or different but what's better than watching our Steelers win the Super Bowl? Especially knowing that they would be the first team to win 6!

Ok so my second wish would be to talk to my childhood hero, Lynn Swann too, lol.

I am leaving a 9 year old son that is a Cardinals fan and my 17 year old daughter is a Bears fan (his favorite color is red and she was born in Chicago). Since I have never seen a Pittsburgh home game they all have promised to take my ashes to Heinz Field 1 day for a game.

I so hope they win this year and hope that all you get to see their 20th Super Bowl win!

I hope this wasn't too morbid for any of you...Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go!

Crockett

Polamalu43
01-12-2009, 03:28 PM
Man that sucks bro.. that made me feel really bad now.. i hope we can win this years SB for you really.. GOD BLESS YOU

section514
01-12-2009, 03:38 PM
This needs to get the attention of a news reporter. They need to get you to Tampa, fly you down. Does anyone on here have connections that can help? Go Steelers Man! You are one of many reasons that they Steelers Nation is so GREAT! Good luck, I hope you can see many more SBs

Polamalu43
01-12-2009, 03:41 PM
This needs to get the attention of a news reporter. They need to get you to Tampa, fly you down. Does anyone on here have connections that can help? Go Steelers Man! You are one of many reasons that they Steelers Nation is so GREAT! Good luck, I hope you can see many more SBs

I was thinkin the same thing..

steelreserve
01-12-2009, 03:47 PM
This needs to get the attention of a news reporter. They need to get you to Tampa, fly you down. Does anyone on here have connections that can help?

Well, there was that one espn.com reporter who posted in the rituals/superstitions thread earlier:

Hi, my name is Lindsay Berra, I'm a writer for ESPN Magazine, I need to find a Steelers Super Fan with a bunch of crazy game-day rituals to watch the conference finals with for a story for the Magazine and ESPN.com. If you're interested and think you qualify, please email me at lindsay.berra@espn3.com. Thanks!

I mean, who knows if anything you read on the Internet is 100 percent legit (no disrespect intended, but that goes for both this and the alleged reporter), but if both are this time, that could have been some pretty fortunate timing.

SteelersinCA
01-12-2009, 03:52 PM
Well, that's it, win one for the Crockett boys!!!:tt02::tt02::hatsoff:

Steel Mountain
01-12-2009, 03:58 PM
I wish I had some connections, because if I did, you`d be standing right beside MT on the sidelines w/ the players. All that said, there was once a time in life when 5 different Doc`s told my wife she had MAYBE 5 years to live, likely 1-2 (cancer), now 13 years later and they are scratching heads and saying..."ummm....well...you shoulda....I mean....ummm...well how about that!" DO NOT SUCCUMB TO OTHERS OPINIONS!" We will all meet our maker someday, but if you do not feel that it is your time...make it so! I pray that we win the SB and that gives you either the peace you seek or the motivation to hang for #7!!!!!
I can think of no better reason for our boys to pull out all stops and do this thing. I wish for you...PEACE!

wardislord
01-12-2009, 04:03 PM
Thanks for sharing such a personal story with us! Don't give up and love life every day, just as we all should! I hope that you're able to enjoy many many more steelers games (and superbowls!) and God bless you and your family. :hug:

crcsnail
01-12-2009, 04:10 PM
best wishes from a uk fan .i really hope the steelers can win it for u :)
best wishes to u and your family

Steel Mountain
01-12-2009, 04:13 PM
++++1

SteelCityMan786
01-12-2009, 04:14 PM

I have been a Steelers fan since 1971. Growing up in New York and then Chicago was tough going against the Giants, Jets and Bears but I hung in there and got in lots of fights over it which I always won, lol!

Many of my friends have asked me what I would like to do if I could do anything. I always answer the same; I want to see the Steelers win 1 more Super Bowl. They all think that I should be asking for something more or different but what's better than watching our Steelers win the Super Bowl? Especially knowing that they would be the first team to win 6!

Ok so my second wish would be to talk to my childhood hero, Lynn Swann too, lol.

I am leaving a 9 year old son that is a Cardinals fan and my 17 year old daughter is a Bears fan (his favorite color is red and she was born in Chicago). Since I have never seen a Pittsburgh home game they all have promised to take my ashes to Heinz Field 1 day for a game.

I so hope they win this year and hope that all you get to see their 20th Super Bowl win!

Crockett

Somebody needs to get you to Tampa should the Steelers make it. I'll be cheering hard for them on Sunday so that you get to see another Super Bowl and watch the Steelers Hoist the Vince Lombardi Trophy again.

Hopefully the good lord will come down and return you to full strength.

zsheik22
01-12-2009, 04:18 PM
TAMPA?!?!?! PISS ON TAMPA, THIS MAN NEEDS TO BE AT HEINZ FIELD THIS SUNDAY!!!!!!!!!

:tt02:

Stylez1877
01-12-2009, 04:19 PM
I hope you get your wish, and live to see many more.

Crockett1965
01-12-2009, 04:21 PM

I live in Tampa. Well New Port Richey which is just 40 miles north of Tampa.

HometownGal
01-12-2009, 04:22 PM

Crockett

Hi Crockett.

I have a friend who is a WPXI (Channel 11 here in Pittsburgh) field reporter and I am going to send her a copy of this thread. Please PM me your contact information ASAP. I'm :hope: she can make your dream come true! :hug::hug:

No matter how dismal things may appear, hold a positive attitude and keep on fighting! Every day, the brilliant medical professionals, scientists and researchers we are blessed to have in this country are finding more cures for diseases which once were considered terminal illnesses. I'm going to keep the faith for you and I want you to do the same!!! :hatsoff::hug:

You and your family are members of our Steelers family now and we're going to be praying for you and keeping the positive vibes coming! :thumbsup:

ben7
01-12-2009, 04:24 PM
god bless man, i hope they can pull it off

Crockett1965
01-12-2009, 04:29 PM
I really do appreciate everyone's support. Really I do. I've been able to maintain a pretty positive attitude. I figure why change and feel sorry for myself. It hurts more to see my kids, especially my son be upset about it than it does me. I mean, what can I do right? Nobody has to do anything special. I bet there are at least a few terminally ill kids in Pittsburgh that would love a trip to the Tampa Super Bowl should the Steelers get there (I mean WHEN the Steelers get there). If anybody out there is looking for a good cause to get involved in, go to a local hospital and visit the terminally ill kids. That really breaks my heart and they are all so brave it truly is incredible.

OneForTheToe
01-12-2009, 04:33 PM
God Bless Crockett1965

HometownGal
01-12-2009, 04:35 PM
I really do appreciate everyone's support. Really I do. I've been able to maintain a pretty positive attitude. I figure why change and feel sorry for myself. It hurts more to see my kids, especially my son be upset about it than it does me. I mean, what can I do right? Nobody has to do anything special. I bet there are at least a few terminally ill kids in Pittsburgh that would love a trip to the Tampa Super Bowl should the Steelers get there (I mean WHEN the Steelers get there). If anybody out there is looking for a good cause to get involved in, go to a local hospital and visit the terminally ill kids. That really breaks my heart and they are all so brave it truly is incredible.

I understand and commend you for wanting to help kids who are also terminally ill. I worked as a hospice volunteer for several years after my first cancer and though it was very heartbreaking, it was so rewarding and made me a much stronger person. :thumbsup: You are so right - those children are little warriors - mature beyond their years and have no fear of dying.

I'm going to move this into the Locker Room, but please rest assured we will all be pulling for you and keeping those prayers coming! :hug::hug:

steelersfanman92
01-12-2009, 05:01 PM
God bless you and your family, I hope the Steelers can pull it off for you and I know that I am speaking for most of us when I say that we are truely blessed to have heard you story, best of luck Crockett1965

PAMillerGrrl83
01-12-2009, 06:17 PM
God bless you and your family. I'm glad you can be so positive through this. I really really hope that the Steelers will win for you and go on to the SB and get another Lombardi to hold high just for you!

BehindSteelCurtain
01-12-2009, 06:21 PM
This will be great if we can get a reporter on this story.

HometownGal
01-12-2009, 06:25 PM
This will be great if we can get a reporter on this story.

I sent Amy an email with the link to this thread and I'm sure she will do whatever she can or forward it on to the higher-ups at the station. :hope:

SteelCityMan786
01-12-2009, 06:53 PM
TAMPA?!?!?! PISS ON TAMPA, THIS MAN NEEDS TO BE AT HEINZ FIELD THIS SUNDAY!!!!!!!!!

:tt02:

HEY!!! I'd like to see the Steelers get to Tampa and win one as well.

Heinz Field business though come first.

BlastFurnace
01-12-2009, 08:19 PM

Crockett

Crockett,

I am praying for you that the Lord will comfort you in your last days.

I know the Steelers just play a game, but I am happy that they have brought a smile to your spirit this year.

Crockett1965
01-12-2009, 10:08 PM
Again, you people are all awesome! The support from complete strangers really touches me and gives me some faith that maybe the world has a chance. Have a great night everyone!

CASTEEL
01-14-2009, 02:21 AM
Blessings to you and your family... may you all find peace in the situation that has been dealt.

I hope for your sake that our guys will go all the way!

Preacher
01-14-2009, 02:35 AM
I sent Amy an email with the link to this thread and I'm sure she will do whatever she can or forward it on to the higher-ups at the station. :hope:

Great call. If it is legit, this will be the best way to get things going. If it isn't, they will sniff it out real quick (No disrepect intended, you just wouldn't beleive how many stories I hear).

Crocket, I am praying for you. Stay strong and we will all root our Steelers to the SB. . . and give you some good memories on the way!

Hammer67
01-14-2009, 08:01 AM
My thoughts are with you, man. A sobering story to put our lives in perspective. Love your families, and enjoy life the best you can...words to live by.

KeiselPower99
01-14-2009, 08:55 AM
I cant begin to express how much sympathy and compassion I have for this man. I pray and hope you recieve a miracle and are able to live a wonderful everntful life.. I know the chance of that is slim to none. As Steeler fans we always look forward to the next game but for someone like you my friend ya never know if your gonna see that next game. I hope you get the chance to see us win number 6 and if you get to go I want you to be the happiest man in the world. Good luck and god bless.

Polamalu Princess
01-14-2009, 09:44 AM
I am praying for you and your family. May God bless you and keep you in His care.

SteelCityKing
01-14-2009, 10:20 AM

Crockett

i had the honor and privledge to meet Lynn Swann TWICE within two years. he came through my town when he was running for office. i stepped out of work for a few minutes just to meet him and say hi to him. we actually went to lunch together at the local diner down the street. i mean, i wasn't the one who treated him to lunch and it wasn't just me and him. we were with a dozen people. but i got to sit back and here him talk. he's very articulate and powerful.

the second time was during my town's annual Autuman Leaf Festival. we was part of the McCain/Palin float in the parade. along with him was Franco Harris in the Obama/Biden float. i had the chance to meet them both again. quicker this time, but i still got to meet them. i hope you do someday. oh, and make sure you take pictures and get some autographs! your kids should enjoy them!

god bless.

Leftoverhard
01-14-2009, 10:53 AM
“For death begins with life's first breath And life begins at touch of death” - John Oxenham
I hope some of your last wishes come true.

X-Terminator
01-14-2009, 01:41 PM
God Bless You Crockett, keep that positive attitude and I truly hope your wish is granted!

GutterflowerSteel
01-14-2009, 04:29 PM
Again, you people are all awesome! The support from complete strangers really touches me and gives me some faith that maybe the world has a chance. Have a great night everyone!
We're not strangers - we're part of your Steelers Family :grouphug:
God be with you, Crockett - and here's hoping our Steelers bring home #6 :tt02:

TeeJay
01-14-2009, 05:17 PM

Crockett

Crockett -

You don't know me from Adam, but what can I say?

Honestly, I don't know what to say, apart from I'm so sorry to hear that - it choked me up. (And I'll admit that).

I read this and knew I wanted to say something, but just couldn't think of anything. So, instead of actually doing something meaningful and sending you my best wishes, I ended up doing what I always do - posting some meaningless drivel on other threads. I'm rubbish in situations like this....and I'll admit that too.

But I came back because I knew I wanted to say something. And what I'm trying to say is....we're all thinking of you. You are part of The Steeler Nation. Once a Steeler, always a Steeler. And come Sunday, I won't just be willing The Steelers on for my own selfish reasons, I'll be willing them on for you as well (as most here will be)

Honestly mate, hang in there.

All the best
TJ.

Crockett1965
01-17-2009, 04:33 PM
Great call. If it is legit, this will be the best way to get things going. If it isn't, they will sniff it out real quick (No disrepect intended, you just wouldn't beleive how many stories I hear).

Crocket, I am praying for you. Stay strong and we will all root our Steelers to the SB. . . and give you some good memories on the way!

No I understand that you need to check it out but keep in mind I'm not asking for anything. In fact, I would really rather see a terminally ill child from Pittsburgh get a trip to Tampa for the Super Bowl. Really, I'm not trying to do the honorable thing. If I don't make it at least I lived to experience things and see my kids and get to know them and grow with them. These kids will never see much of anything and like I said before, they are all still happy and brave. Many people say it's ignorance and naivity that makes them brave but if that's true they wouldn't cry sometimes and ask God and their parents to make them better. It happens but not often as they are incredibly brave. I have seen many of these kids conscoling their parents which would bring the hardest person to tears. I have been around this long enough to witness 3 kids I had gotten to know pass away and spoken with their parents afterwards and it's a real experience. Something I wish I have never witnessed but also something I am glad to have been a part of if that makes sense.

Our Father,
Who Art in Pittsburgh,
Football be thy name,
Thy Kingdom Come,
5 Super Bowls won,
On Earth as it is at Heinz,
Give us this day a playoff win,
And forgive us our penalties,
As we defeat those who play against us,
But lead us to a victory,
And deliver us to Tampa,
A-Ben

Steel Mountain
01-17-2009, 04:56 PM
This is for Crockett, but even more so for everyone on this forum...buy the book "The Biology of Belief" by Bruce Lipton. I will not go into a diatribe about it, but it is an amazing read. Google it and make your own call, but it made me change the way I look at life and other things.

millwalldavey
01-17-2009, 08:41 PM
May we all get the one thing we want this season. And may you savor more than any of us!

Polamalu Princess
01-17-2009, 08:53 PM
We are here for you, as you can see how much people care. Please know that you are loved and God will bless you and your family and keep all of you in His care. You are brave my friend. Hug those you love a little closer and save each and every moment in time. God bless you and yours.

Crockett1965
01-18-2009, 09:23 PM
This is the best I have felt in I don't know how long! We made it!

The Duke
01-18-2009, 09:30 PM

You deserve it man :drink:

take care

millwalldavey
01-18-2009, 09:32 PM

I don't know who I'm happier for, you or the Steelers.

Who am I kidding... I know who I'm happiest for Brother!!!!!:drink:

HometownGal
01-18-2009, 09:51 PM
This one is for you Crockett!!! :drink::tt03::hatsoff:

If you change your mind about what we discussed earlier, please PM me so I can get the ball rolling, OK?

God Bless, :hug::hug:
Marianne

Crockett1965
01-19-2009, 01:20 AM
Thank you so much everybody! Today really wore me out but in a good way so I think I'm going to need a few days rest after this weekend. lol!

TeeJay
01-19-2009, 11:57 AM
I'm stoked for ya Crockett - Steelers v Cardinals.

Now get those tickets and get your son to that there SB! :thumbsup:

fansince'76
02-02-2009, 01:35 PM
Hope you enjoyed the Super Bowl, friend. God bless you.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-02-2009, 02:12 PM
Crockett1965..........I hope you enjoyed the SB.

You sound like a great Father. God bless.

kittenfantastico76
02-02-2009, 02:19 PM
Crockett1965 - I'm sad I didn't see this sooner but I hope that you were able to fully enjoy the Super Bowl! My hats off to you and my prayers are with you! *hugs* I lost my mother last year and I completely relate to your children. Trust me, it's a tough thing to lose a parent but the love you give when you're here truly does last a life time - I pray you will have many blessed days to come for yourself and your family!

SteelCurtain7
02-02-2009, 04:09 PM

:tt:

God bless you. :hatsoff:

SamUK
02-02-2009, 04:36 PM
Heart Moving Story... Glad they got the win for you, and everyone else in the Steeler Nation throughout the world.

PisnNapalm
02-02-2009, 06:51 PM
Crockett...

I did think about you during the game yesterday. I hoped then that you were able to watch and enjoy it.

I'm not a religious man, but I hope you have peace within yourself. You're in my thoughts.

PN