PDA

View Full Version : Ben had spinal cord concussion

stillers4me
01-12-2009, 06:20 PM
Big Ben had spinal cord concussion Dec. 28, source says
Monday, January 12, 2009
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Ben Roethlisberger used the word "scary" when he saw several of the Steelers team doctors hovering over him on the field and he couldn't feel them sticking a pin in his numb arms two weeks ago against the Cleveland Browns. And for good reason.

Roethlisberger suffered more than what was diagnosed as a concussion.

The Post-Gazette has learned that Roethlisberger actually sustained a spinal cord concussion after he was sandwiched on a hit by two Browns defenders and appeared to hit the back of his head on the Heinz Field surface -- the same type of injury that caused former quarterback Tommy Maddox to temporarily lose movement in his arms and legs in a 2002 game in Tennessee.

It was the reason the Steelers medical personnel removed Roethlisberger's facemask and had him placed on a spinal board when they carted him from the field. Roethlisberger was taken to Presbyterian Hospital, though he quickly regained the feeling in his arms and didn't even remain overnight for observation. He never lost sensation in his legs.

Roethlisberger passed all the necessary follow-up tests, including the IMPACT test administered to players with concussion-like injuries, and played one of his most efficient games of the season in Sunday's 35-24 playoff victory against the San Diego Chargers. Roethlisberger passed for 181 yards with one touchdown and no interceptions against the Chargers

According to several medical websites, a spinal cord concussion can be caused by a sudden and violent jolt and result in neurological deficits. Symptons, though, usually disappear in less than a day, sometimes a few hours, depending on the severity of the concussion.

Earlier this season, Baltimore Ravens safety Dawan Landry sustained a spinal cord concussion in a Sept. 21 game against Cleveland when the crown of his helmet struck the knee of running back Jamal Lewis. He didn't play the rest of the season and was eventually placed on injured reserve.

Maddox was injured in a Nov. 18, 2002 game against the Tennessee Titans when he was hit by linebacker Keith Bullock on a play that seemed relatively harmless. He was taken to a Nashville, Tenn., hospital and remained overnight in a trauma unit with what was diagnosed as a spinal cord concussion.

But, Maddox's brain function returned to a normal within 48 hours and, despite losing all feeling in his hands and legs, did not suffer any damage to his spinal cord. After sitting out two games, he returned to start the final six games of the season, including two playoff games.

First published on January 12, 2009 at 1:55 pm

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09012/941311-100.stm

HometownGal
01-12-2009, 06:24 PM
Ben is one tough mofo. Spinal cord concussions can be very dangerous and cause long term impairments. Thank God the team docs and medical personnel knew exactly what to do - I knew when I heard he was taken to Presby that he'd be just fine. They have one of the best trauma units in the country and are a top notch medical facility. :thumbsup:

NJarhead
01-12-2009, 06:25 PM
Ben is one tough mofo. Spinal cord concussions can be very dangerous and cause long term impairments. Thank God the team docs and medical personnel knew exactly what to do - I knew when I heard he was taken to Presby that he'd be just fine. They have one of the best trauma units in the country and are a top notch medical facility. :thumbsup:

He's getting a lot of props for his performance yesterday by my co-worker Jets and Giants fans. .... and they're getting a lot of "I told ya" from me. :chuckle:

stillers4me
01-12-2009, 06:31 PM

So I take it he really wasn't being a "drama queen"? :rolleyes:

tony hipchest
01-12-2009, 06:56 PM
So I take it he really wasn't being a "drama queen"? :rolleyes:havent you heard....?

"Ben has to always play up his injuries." :chuckle:

i knew there was more to the story when the "diagnoses" was a mild concussion (despite how hard bens head is). there was nothing mild about it.

i did find it funny when ben forgot he was a qb and punted the ball :laughing:

or when he forgot he wanst a lineman and was throwing blocks....:sofunny:

PAMillerGrrl83
01-12-2009, 06:58 PM
Ack, this makes me shudder, but Im glad Ben is a-okay now!

stillers4me
01-12-2009, 07:00 PM
havent you heard....?

"Ben has to always play up his injuries." :chuckle:

i knew there was more to the story when the "diagnoses" was a mild concussion (despite how hard bens head is). there was nothing mild about it.

i did find it funny when ben forgot he was a qb and punted the ball :laughing:

or when he forgot he wanst a lineman and was throwing blocks....:sofunny:

:toofunny:

HometownGal
01-12-2009, 07:02 PM
So I take it he really wasn't being a "drama queen"? :rolleyes:

:laughing::chuckle::toofunny:

steelreserve
01-12-2009, 07:23 PM
But, Maddox's brain function returned to normal within 48 hours and, despite losing all feeling in his hands and legs, did not suffer any damage to his spinal cord. After sitting out two games, he returned to start the final six games of the season, including two playoff games.

That's a misleading statement if I ever saw one. What brain function?

BehindSteelCurtain
01-12-2009, 07:32 PM
I think there is a bowling ball inside Ben's head.

OneForTheToe
01-12-2009, 07:33 PM
Wow, my heart just skipped about three beats when I saw the title of this thread. It took me a moment to process the idea that it was in reference to the Browns game.

My bad .... now one beat .... two...

The Duke
01-12-2009, 07:48 PM
What's that Keyshawn? Ben's a drama queen?

you're a joke :coffee:

Ben- you tough SOB :thumbsup: