PDA

View Full Version : You may be more racist than you think

SteelersMongol
01-12-2009, 08:50 PM
(CNN) -- Would you get upset if you witnessed an act of racism?

A new study published Thursday in the journal Science suggests many people unconsciously harbor racist attitudes, even though they see themselves as tolerant and egalitarian.

"This study, and a lot of research in social psychology, suggests that there are still really a lot of negative associations with blacks," said Kerry Kawakami, associate professor of psychology at York University in Toronto, Ontario, and lead author of the study. "People are willing to tolerate racism and not stand up against it."

The authors divided 120 non-black participants into the roles of "experiencers" and "forecasters." The "experiencers" were placed in a room with a white person and a black person, who played out pre-arranged scenarios for the experiment. The scenarios began when the black role-player bumped the white role-player's knee when leaving the room.

In the first scenario, the white person did not comment afterwards. In the "moderate" case, the white person said, "Typical, I hate it when black people do that," after the black person left the room. In the "extreme" case, the white person remarked, "Clumsy n****r."

The "forecasters," meanwhile, predicted how they would feel in these situations.

The magnitude of the results surprised even the authors, Kawakami said. Experiencers reported little distress in all three scenarios, much less than the forecasters did in the moderate and severe situations.

"Even using that most extreme comment didn't lead people to be particularly upset," said co-author Elizabeth Dunn, assistant professor of psychology at the University of British Columbia in Vancouver.

Immediately afterwards, the participants were asked to choose either the black person or the white person as a partner for an anagram test. More than half of experiencers chose the white partner -- regardless of the severity of the comment that person made earlier. As for the forecasters, less than half chose the white partner when a comment was made, but most chose the white person when no comment was made.

"Some people might think that they're very egalitarian and they don't have to deal with their prejudices, and that's not related to them at all, when in actual fact they may hold these hidden biases," Kawakami said.

The study is consistent with decades of psychology research pointing to the same thing: People are really bad at predicting their own actions in socially sensitive situations.

"That point is getting renewed attention as researchers develop more extensive evidence establishing reasons to distrust self-report measures concerning racial attitudes," said Anthony Greenwald, professor of psychology at the University of Washington, who was not involved with the study.

The racism study harkens back to Stanley Milgram's famous experiment that began in the early 1960s, in which most people obeyed orders to deliver electric shocks to an innocent person in the next room. Many psychiatrists had predicted that the majority of subjects would stop when the victim protested, but this was not the case.

Regarding racism, in a famous study from the 1930s, people behaved in a non-racist manner that contradicted what they reported later. Richard LaPiere sent a Chinese couple to restaurants and hotels in the U.S., and most of these establishments accommodated them. But when LaPiere contacted the same places about whether they serve Chinese people, most said they did not.

More recent work by Greenwald and colleagues shows that most people --between 75 and 80 percent -- have implicit, non-overt prejudices against blacks. Their Web site, Project Implicit, has a slew of tests that Web users can take to compare their self-perceptions to their underlying attitudes about people based on different social categories, such as race, age and obesity.

What is responsible for these attitudes? Experts say one culprit is images in television, news and film that portray blacks in a negative light.

"I don't think what's in people's heads is going to change until the environment that places these things in their head has changed," Greenwald said.

Parents can also have a big influence, experts say. Related work by Dunn shows that if parents have positive attitudes towards blacks, and they have good relationships with their children, then the children will develop more positive attitudes towards blacks too.

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/01/07/racism.study/index.html?iref=mpstoryview

What do you guys think?

MasterOfPuppets
01-12-2009, 09:11 PM
i think its ammusing how the only race they ever want to label as racist are caucasions.:coffee:

revefsreleets
01-12-2009, 09:21 PM
Everyone is prejudiced. Everyone "pre-judges". Everyone groups. Everyone identifies with one group over another.

It's not racism, it's just human nature. The quickest way to overcome this is direct communication. The other is recognizing and admitting that we all do it.

lilyoder6
01-12-2009, 09:36 PM
i think its ammusing how the only race they ever want to label as racist are caucasions.:coffee:

i agree with u...
if u did it the other way around they would prob get the same results from the blacks...

cubanstogie
01-12-2009, 09:36 PM
I wouldn't touch this topic with a ten foot pole.

Dino 6 Rings
01-13-2009, 11:28 AM
I'm not racist

I hate everyone Equally. I spread the hate to all people, Black, White, Rich, Poor, Brown, Yellow, Red, from India, Africa, Europe, Asia, South America, Australia.

I am careful to be sure I hate everyone the same to start with. Then as I get to know people as individuals, I determine if I can like them or if I should hate them more.

It all works out in the end.

Hammer67
01-13-2009, 11:53 AM
I think this study is more common sense. I could have told you what the results would have been beforehand.

Everyone has their own preconcieved notions...some based on media, some based on personal experiences, some on how they were raised, etc. That goes for all races.

My grandfather is "racist" in the sense that he says 'the blacks do this or that" but all of his kids and grandkids just change the subject or tell him to relax....we all know he is harmless and just blows hot air. I know I can't change him at this point and arguing with him is a pointless effort. It's kind of like my wifes 95 year old grandmother who will point out an obese person at a resteraunt and say rather loudly "Look how fat that person is!" And, I am even MORE inclined not to say something to a stranger unless they are really being out of line. Most of the time I just ignore comments that are made about others.

Overall, over the past few generations, i see blatant racism declining...especially amongst my peers (white, mid to upper middle class and college educated).

Polamalu Princess
01-13-2009, 11:54 AM

I am with you on this!:coffee:

Hammer67
01-13-2009, 11:58 AM

Wusses!!!! :flap: :chuckle:

KeiselPower99
01-13-2009, 12:14 PM
Dont matter what your race is if your ignorant an stupid I hate ya.

ShutDown24
01-13-2009, 12:15 PM
Racism exists, but for how little there really is it's over-discussed and is used far more than it should be as an excuse.

Hapa
01-14-2009, 07:08 PM
I'm not racist

I hate everyone Equally. I spread the hate to all people, Black, White, Rich, Poor, Brown, Yellow, Red, from India, Africa, Europe, Asia, South America, Australia.

I am careful to be sure I hate everyone the same to start with. Then as I get to know people as individuals, I determine if I can like them or if I should hate them more.

Lol optimistic way to look at life :)

HometownGal
01-14-2009, 07:13 PM

I third that motion. No way Jose. (Is that racist?) :chuckle:

RoethlisBURGHer
01-14-2009, 08:00 PM
I have a lot of friends who are black. They will gladly admit that some of the most racist people out there are blacks.

Another thing I hate is white people that listen to just about nothing but rap and R&b but hate black people. How whack is that?

I will admit myself to have some racist tendancies. I went to school K-11th Grade with a majority of black kids. When I moved just before my senior year, it was amazing how much easier it was to learn when you didn't have those one or two kids who didn't wanna be there so nobody could learn anything in the class (and these one or two kids always turned out to be black)...were no longer there.

I hate when you pull up next to a car at a red light, and thier music is so loud that your car shakes. I don't wanna hear your music, and you damn sure don't wanna hear mine. Most of the time, these people are black (or white kids acting like the ghetto thugs they see in the music videos).

However, my black friends know this about me, and none of them would call me racist. They too have racist tendancies.

Preacher
01-14-2009, 08:27 PM
In the science of theology, specifically methodology of church growth (which fall under practical theology), there is an observation that is called "HUP"

It states that people will convert to Christianity easier if they do not have to cross social, racial, linguistic, or other cultural boundaries.

Is that racist? No. It is simply observation that people are most comfortable with those who look, act, and sound just like they do.

It is what you DO with that which then becomes racist.

[general statement]

In the same way, don't confuse my comfortability with lower-middle class white Interior west coast people with racism against Atlanta born upper class black people. I don't have that much in common with them compared to where I grew up. So I won't naturally migrate to talking with them. If I am forced to find to work together with someone, I prefer it be someone I am comfortable with (generally).

[\general statement]

Personally, as for me (preacher), I am comfortable across many racial barriers because of my faith. I actually have more in common with an asian woman who has 3 children than I do a white man in his late 30's that grew up in my town.

That is because my "social context" has changed. Again, it seems people are confusing racism with homocentrism. (No Tony, that has NOTHING to do with homosexuals, Tony Romo, OR Tom Brady :chuckle:).

NJarhead
01-14-2009, 08:32 PM

Wusses!!!! :flap: :chuckle:

I would like to stand and be counted amongst the wusses. :chuckle:

In person, I might discuss it. Written/Cyber comms are too touchy and time consuming and this is a pretty big issue for casual discussion IMHO.

No offense meant to you at all Preach. That was an interesting article. :thumbsup:

Hammer67
01-15-2009, 08:56 AM
I would like to stand and be counted amongst the wusses. :chuckle:

In person, I might discuss it. Written/Cyber comms are too touchy and time consuming and this is a pretty big issue for casual discussion IMHO.

No offense meant to you at all Preach. That was an interesting article. :thumbsup:

I can appreciate that but I would argue that the pseudo anonymity of a forum would better facilitate discourse on this subject. As, people tend to be a little more open. But, you are right in that it is very hard to covey sarcasm, humor and tone in written messages.

steelwall
01-15-2009, 09:04 AM
Racism is alive and well, however "WE" in the US seemed to take our own rights for granted.

Say what you will, but the US has came a long way in dealing with this issue.

As a white living in China and married to a Chinese I can tell you exactly what real racism is........ Anyone who is not white, in the US care to compare????

Hammer67
01-15-2009, 09:11 AM
Racism is alive and well, however "WE" in the US seemed to take our own rights for granted.

Say what you will, but the US has came a long way in dealing with this issue.

As a white living in China and married to a Chinese I can tell you exactly what real racism is........ Anyone who is not white, in the US care to compare????

I can only imagine the kind of things you here! You have to be a strong person. Reminds me of Hines Ward in Korea and the foundation he supports for bi-racial kids. Great cause.

But, I have to say, that many people from my generation (early 30's, and educated) seem to be getting away from this racism thing. I think a lot of it has to do with exposure, which is why college is so important, more for your social growth then academic. Get away from your comfortable environment and get exposed to those with different backgrounds and views. It broadens your mind.

My grandfather is from a different world and he will always be that way.

NateDawgK2
01-15-2009, 01:58 PM
interesting article

I dont like how "tolerant" and "racist" are used as opposites
for me to tolerate means I put up with it - doesnt mean I dont hate it
and racist to me means hate - not that I hate anyone - just saying these words arent mutually exclusive because its possible to be both racist and tolerant

Big D
01-15-2009, 04:29 PM
I'm not racist

i'm with you my friend. As each day passes I hate people just that much more.