PDA

View Full Version : Interesting comments after Steelers' big victory by Jim Wexell

mesaSteeler
01-13-2009, 05:59 AM
01/13/2009
Interesting comments after Steelers' big victory
Commentary by Jim Wexell
http://www.heraldstandard.com/site/printerFriendly.cfm?brd=2280&dept_id=468632&newsid=20239595

Ben Roethlisberger's comment after the game was as crisp as his passes during the game: "We put up 35 tonight, so it kind of showed people and kind of shut the critics up that we can score points when we have to."

Hear that? I have to shut up now. But who needs to run at the mouth anyhow when so many others will do it for you?

So here are some of the more interesting comments made in the wake of the Steelers' 35-24 playoff win over the San Diego Chargers:

- Russ Grimm from the front of the Steelers' bus before it left for the 2005 AFC Championship game in Denver: "If anyone here is scared, get the (expletive)off now."

(Obviously, this was mentioned by someone else Sunday in an attempt to figure out the Arizona Cardinals' success.)

- Ryan Clark when asked if he could audible out of the doomed fake punt: "Yeah, I could have, but I wasn't going to. No way. I got the call from the sideline and as I walked back on the field I already had my mind made up."

- Willie Colon on his continued problem with illegal formation penalties: "Those calls are (expletive). But I don't want to say anything. Oops, I guess I just did."

(Don't worry, Willie, the league can't fine you for calling officials asterisks.)

- A longtime journalist on Mike Tomlin's personality: "There's no Bill Cowher in him. Mike's a good guy to deal with. He understands the adversarial position he has to take with the media, and he does it with class. There's a lot of Chuck Noll in him."

- Kordell Stewart is called a "Quarterback Expert" on ESPN2. After another panelist said that beating a team three times in one season is "almost impossible," Stewart was asked if that gives Baltimore the advantage: "It may give them something to fight for, but what more do you need?"

(Since 1960, the team with two wins is 13-8 in the third game; since 1980, 10-7. Two-win teams playing at home for a conference or league championship are 4-1. The Steelers are 2-0 playing for a 3-game sweep, with both occurring against the Cleveland Browns, a.k.a., the old Ravens.)

- Former Ravens coach Brian Billick, appearing on "Mike & Mike in the Morning", on the upcoming Steelers-Ravens game: "I thought Pittsburgh gained more from that bye week than any other team that had the bye. They look healthy. Ben Roethlisberger looks healthy. Willie Parker looks healthy. That's as healthy as I've seen those two individuals and that team all year long. ... That bye week to me plays an even bigger factor now that Baltimore's had to fight through an additional game. They're playing in Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh looks on rhythm and healthy. They're going to be a formidable team."

(Because of a hurricane in the gulf the second week of the season, the Ravens have played 17 consecutive weeks. Pass-rusher Terrell Suggs has a sprained shoulder; running back Le'Ron McClain is hobbled by a sore ankle; cornerback Samari Rolle has an injured groin.)

- Skip Bayless, the profanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofa nityfilter-sure analyst for ESPN2, didn't like the Steelers' performance against the Chargers: "It's not time to crown the Pittsburgh Steelers. You can throw the football on Pittsburgh's defense, even at Heinz Field, after dark, in the cold. ... I'll give you this, Roethlisberger was outstanding on third down, but, hey, when San Diego got the ball back, they moved it. I don't think the Steelers are invincible on defense."

(After a week of being used at the universe's tool to motivate the Steelers' offense, I'm happy to allow Skippy the honors this week for the defense.)

DACEB
01-13-2009, 06:10 AM
- Skip Bayless, "It's not time to crown the Pittsburgh Steelers. You can throw the football on Pittsburgh's defense, even at Heinz Field, after dark, in the cold.... I don't think the Steelers are invincible on defense."

Thank you Skippy!!!

He's right on one thing... going by that game alone the D didn't look like the #1 D. The D was probably the lowest rated unit out of the three in that game. The tackling wasn't great, probably as a result of the week off, it will be much sharper this week.

rbryan
01-13-2009, 08:11 AM
Yeah holding the Chargers to 15 yards rushing in the playoffs shows the D is really just not that good.

Skippy can go pound peanut butter now. Isn't it time for another face lift and a trip to the tanning bed??

fansince'76
01-13-2009, 08:15 AM
Kordell Stewart is called a "Quarterback Expert" on ESPN2.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

fansince'76
01-13-2009, 08:20 AM
Skip Bayless, the c0cksure analyst for ESPN2, didn't like the Steelers' performance against the Chargers: "It's not time to crown the Pittsburgh Steelers. You can throw the football on Pittsburgh's defense, even at Heinz Field, after dark, in the cold. ...

And after they have an 18-point lead and have obviously called off the dogs. I guess shit-for-brains actually thinks those two garbage time TDs we gave up in an obvious attempt to avoid injuries actually meant something? Considering the source, not surprising. :coffee:

Stlrs4Life
01-13-2009, 08:49 AM
That's why we call him Skip Clueless.

Danger DANJ
01-13-2009, 08:59 AM
Guys like Skip Bayless should be fired for not knowing what the hell they are talking about. I guess he never heard of prevent defense. Almost everybody passes the ball well when you play prevent and your DB's are playing like 30 yards downfield. You can throw 10 yard passes all day.

memphissteelergirl
01-13-2009, 09:25 AM
You can always count on ole Skip to bring his usual brand of horse**** to the table. :coffee:

Curtain_of_Steel
01-13-2009, 09:38 AM
Agree with RBryan.. Plus the Sproles 65 yarder was a mop up pass, they looked like they didn't care. If that was a mop up regular season game, they would've played it differently as the #1 D means more than. But they stopped the little munchin to the tune of 15 yards on the run.

What counts now is who is standing in 3 weeks.

If Sproles is a FA this coming year, that might've cost him millions.

T&B fan
01-13-2009, 09:40 AM
he also forgot to add all the holding calls on the D player of the yr .that will help you pass game too ... and some of them holds come on refs there tackling him ..thats a hold call it ...

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-13-2009, 09:57 AM
I dont understand why the rest of the sports fans in the world dont see Skip Bayless' act for what it is? :noidea:

Bayless just says things that are completely opposite to the truth in order to stir up controversy and get people talking about him. Its transparent and juvenile, yet he has a network job because people take his bait.

I dont choose to argue with a 8 year old that says the sky is brown, so I dont really consider anything Bayless says either. I wish people would do the same so he can get a job selling used cars.

drizze99
01-13-2009, 10:04 AM
"Skip Bayless, the profanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofa nityfilter-sure analyst for ESPN2, didn't like the Steelers' performance against the Chargers: "It's not time to crown the Pittsburgh Steelers. You can throw the football on Pittsburgh's defense, even at Heinz Field, after dark, in the cold. ... I'll give you this, Roethlisberger was outstanding on third down, but, hey, when San Diego got the ball back, they moved it. I don't think the Steelers are invincible on defense."

I love you SKIP!

fansince'76
01-13-2009, 10:45 AM
I dont understand why the rest of the sports fans in the world dont see Skip Bayless' act for what it is? :noidea:

Bayless just says things that are completely opposite to the truth in order to stir up controversy and get people talking about him. Its transparent and juvenile, yet he has a network job because people take his bait.

I dont choose to argue with a 8 year old that says the sky is brown, so I dont really consider anything Bayless says either. I wish people would do the same so he can get a job selling used cars.

Bayless is one of about a million reasons I don't watch Disney Channel 2 unless a Steelers game is broadcast on it, but when his drivel is posted here, I generally feel compelled to call it out for the bullshit it is. It's a weakness I have to work on.