PDA

View Full Version : Steelers listed as Super Bowl favorite

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-13-2009, 08:40 AM
Steelers listed as Super Bowl favorite
By Mike Prisuta, TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, January 13, 2009

The NFL has trimmed its playoff field from 12 to eight to four, and there isn't a No. 1 seed left in the bunch.

Instead, the NFC and AFC championship games will be contested Sunday by long shots.

How long?

Before the season began, the Steelers were considered the most likely among what is the NFL's final four to win the Super Bowl. But they were hardly a favorite when compared with the rest of the league. The odds of the Steelers winning Super Bowl XLIII were 20-to-1 against, as posted by just4bettors.com.

The Philadelphia Eagles were a 35-to-1 shot to go all the way.

The Arizona Cardinals were 50-to-1.

The Baltimore Ravens were 60-to-1.

Things obviously have changed.

This week, the Steelers, the No. 2 seed in the AFC, are a 9-to-5 pick to win the big one, according to madduxsports.com.

Philadelphia, the NFC's No. 6 seed, is 2-to-1.

Baltimore, No. 6 in the AFC, is 4-to-1.

Arizona, the fourth-seeded NFC team, is 5-to-1.

All four conference finalists already have beaten the odds as they related to the over/under totals for their projected regular-season wins.

The Steelers opened with an over/under of nine wins and went 12-4.

The Eagles had an over/under of 8.5 and went 9-6-1.

The Cardinals' over/under was 7.5 and they went 9-7.

And the Ravens' over/under was six in what became an 11-5 campaign.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_606893.html

revefsreleets
01-13-2009, 11:30 AM
I have a weird feeling the Cards beat the Eagles. They suddenly have a running game and are playing good defense.

Dino 6 Rings
01-13-2009, 11:34 AM
as the only home team to win in the Divisional round this is only common sense.

Hammer67
I have a weird feeling the Cards beat the Eagles. They suddenly have a running game and are playing good defense.

I would rather the Steelers play Arizona....they match up much better. Arizona's D is much less physical then Philly. And I think the Steelers would neutrilize Warner.

the_king_from_leon
Interesting seeing those, when I put my bet on the steelers I had odds of 12/1 for them to win the Superbowl.....placed 5 on them each way so am 60 minutes away from winning a little money and spending a lot to try and get out there!

Hammer67
01-13-2009, 11:36 AM
Interesting seeing those, when I put my bet on the steelers I had odds of 12/1 for them to win the Superbowl.....placed 5 on them each way so am 60 minutes away from winning a little money and spending a lot to try and get out there!

We were in Vegas before the Playoffs and the Steelers were 10 to 1 odds. I was going to put $100 down on them to win it but was getting hammered on the craps tables...otherwise I would have. :chuckle:

Carolina Steelers
01-13-2009, 11:40 AM
I dont buy into odd and favorites. Before this weekend The Cardnials were a 10 pt underdog and nobody gave the Cardnials a chance on tv and radio and they won by 20. I do like a chances compared to the other teams by costly turnovers will do any good team in. The odd makers dont take that into account

jasonhightower
01-13-2009, 12:21 PM
I would rather the Steelers play Arizona....they match up much better. Arizona's D is much less physical then Philly. And I think the Steelers would neutrilize Warner.

I agree...

The_WARDen
01-13-2009, 12:39 PM

That would be a beautiful thing cause living out here with the bEagles playing the Steelers will not be fun.

:tt03: