PDA

View Full Version : Roethlisberger's injury clarified

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-13-2009, 08:52 AM
Roethlisberger's injury clarified
Sustained spinal cord concussion 2 weeks ago
Tuesday, January 13, 2009
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Ben Roethlisberger used the word "scary" when he saw several of the Steelers team doctors hovering over him on the field and he couldn't feel them sticking a pin in his numb arms two weeks ago against the Cleveland Browns. And for good reason.

Roethlisberger suffered more than what was diagnosed as a concussion.

The Post-Gazette has learned that Roethlisberger actually sustained a spinal cord concussion after he was sandwiched on a hit by two Browns defenders and appeared to hit the back of his head on the Heinz Field surface -- the same type of injury that caused former quarterback Tommy Maddox to temporarily lose movement in his arms and legs in a 2002 game in Tennessee.

It was the reason the Steelers medical personnel removed Roethlisberger's facemask and had him placed on a spinal board when they carted him from the field. Roethlisberger was taken to Presbyterian Hospital, though he quickly regained the feeling in his arms and didn't even remain overnight for observation. He never lost sensation in his legs.

Roethlisberger passed all the necessary follow-up tests, including the IMPACT test administered to players with concussion-like injuries, and played one of his most efficient games of the season in a 35-24 AFC divisional playoff victory Sunday against the San Diego Chargers. Roethlisberger passed for 181 yards with one touchdown and no interceptions against the Chargers.

According to several medicalwebsites Web Sites, a spinal cord concussion can be caused by a sudden and violent jolt and result in neurological deficits. SymptonsSymptoms, though, usually disappear in less than a day, sometimes a few hours, depending on the severity of the concussion.

Earlier this season, Baltimore Ravens safety Dawan Landry sustained a spinal cord concussion in a Sept. 21 game against Cleveland when the crown of his helmet struck the knee of running back Jamal Lewis. He didn't play the rest of the season and was eventually placed on injured reserve.

Maddox was injured in a Nov. 18, 2002, game against the Tennessee Titans when he was hit by linebacker Keith Bullock on a play that seemed relatively harmless. He was taken to a Nashville, Tenn., hospital and remained overnight in a trauma unit with what was diagnosed as a spinal cord concussion.

But, Maddox's brain function returned to a normal within 48 hours and, despite losing all feeling in his hands and legs, did not suffer any damage to his spinal cord. After sitting out two games, he returned to start the final six games of the season, including two playoff games.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09013/941382-66.stm

The_WARDen
01-13-2009, 09:02 AM
I suppose Ben is embellishing this injury too!

:helmet:

DACEB
01-13-2009, 09:06 AM
I suppose Ben is embellishing this injury too!

:helmet:

Who needs a spine anyway?!?!

devilsdancefloor
01-13-2009, 09:06 AM
he is a drama queen :coffee:

LambertIsGod58
01-13-2009, 01:08 PM
I have to give him credit for being one tough SOB. Spinal cord injury? And coming back to play the next game? I give Ben mad props.

cubanstogie
01-13-2009, 01:12 PM
I have to give him credit for being one tough SOB. Spinal cord injury? And coming back to play the next game? I give Ben mad props.
Wow, never thought I'd see the day. props to you for giving Ben some credit.

revefsreleets
01-13-2009, 01:19 PM
Amen...this dude is made out of stern stuff.

LambertIsGod58
01-13-2009, 01:22 PM
Wow, never thought I'd see the day. props to you for giving Ben some credit.

Honestly, I try and call it how I see it. Good and bad.

steel striker
01-13-2009, 07:32 PM
Ben is the man and, I have spinal surgery i'm back doing normal things. I can't imagine about playing football after my surgery. I just hope he is really okay. I thought he looked great out there nice sharp passes.

Preacher
01-13-2009, 07:42 PM
there is another silver lining here as well.

It was the SPINAL CORD, and not the brain. Which means all that talk about ben having his third concussion was wrong.

markymarc
01-14-2009, 06:00 AM
Very happy that Ben was able to come back strong and perform like he did against the Bolts. Looks like that bye week for us was a big blessing.

MJ5150
01-14-2009, 05:17 PM
Oh geez, this is the first I heard of this. What a bummer. I wonder if this may end up cutting his career short. I'm a bit worried about him now. Wow....not good.

-Mike

Preacher
01-14-2009, 05:49 PM
Oh geez, this is the first I heard of this. What a bummer. I wonder if this may end up cutting his career short. I'm a bit worried about him now. Wow....not good.

-Mike

I doubt it.

I think with these injuries, once they are healed... they are done.

MJ5150
01-14-2009, 05:52 PM
I doubt it.

I think with these injuries, once they are healed... they are done.

I sure hope you're right. In the meantime, I'm going to do some research on the always reliable internet to learn more about this injury and concussions in general. Maybe I'll come back a neurologist, and I'll change my screen name to Doctor. :chuckle:

-Mike

Preacher
01-14-2009, 06:17 PM
I sure hope you're right. In the meantime, I'm going to do some research on the always reliable internet to learn more about this injury and concussions in general. Maybe I'll come back a neurologist, and I'll change my screen name to Doctor. :chuckle:

-Mike

:laughing:

I did that. . . and actually tried to call a doctor to find out more... I am such a Steelers geek this week!!