PDA

View Full Version : Kerry Collins wants to be the starter or retire.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-13-2009, 12:07 PM
Veteran QB wants to return to Titans, but only as the starter
By Jim Wyatt • THE TENNESSEAN • January 12, 2009

His 14th NFL season in the rearview mirror, Kerry Collins said he has two options — remain a starter, preferably with the Titans, or retire to a life on the farm.

The Titans aren’t ready to send the veteran quarterback out to pasture. Coach Jeff Fisher made that clear, setting in motion an important offseason for Collins as well as Vince Young.

As the Titans packed up Monday to go their separate ways in the wake of Saturday’s playoff loss to the Ravens, Collins reiterated his feelings from a few months back.

Yet after a season in which he guided the Titans to the NFL’s best record and the AFC’s top seed, his words carry more weight. He wants to return to Tennessee as the starter.

“I made my case known, that I’d like to be here and feel that I can be a part of several more good seasons. I have several good years left in me, I know that,” Collins said. “I will pack up and go somewhere else. I don’t want to, but that’s the reality of this business. … I am a starter in this league and if nothing materializes that way I will retire.’’

Just two days into the offseason, Fisher wasn’t prepared to declare his plans at quarterback, but he said the Titans would like to re-sign Collins.

The Titans prefer a salary cap-friendly, two-year deal in the range of $4 million plus incentives, and there are indications they envision him remaining the starter.

Collins replaced Young late in the Week 1 win over the Jaguars, and Young spent the rest of the season as a backup, dogged by questions about his attitude and work ethic. The Titans went on to finish 13-4.

Young was not in the locker room Monday when it was open to the media. Fisher said Young would be on the roster next season, but estimated the 36-year-old Collins has two or three years of football left.

“Certainly getting Kerry back is important to us,’’ Fisher said. “Kerry has one or two options in my opinion: He starts, and hopefully that is for us, or he is on his tractor, on his farm.

“Kerry has no interest in backing up. He wants to start, and rightfully so. He has been adamant about that and he has the right to say that. We have a lot of time and we’ll work things out.’’

The Titans also hope to re-sign No. 3 quarterback Chris Simms, Fisher said.

As for Young, the third overall pick of the 2006 draft has three years left on his contract. He's scheduled to make an affordable $2.16 million in 2009, but his salaries increase to $7.5 million in 2010 and $8.5 million in 2011. Young is facing a very important offseason, Fisher said.

“We expect a 100 percent commitment from Vince. We’ll accept nothing less than that,’’ he said. “This is about Vince Young, and this is about spending the time here and about committing himself to the offseason program and just doing the best he can to make himself a better football player. And take advantage of the experience he gained this year even though he didn’t play.’’

Several players pledged support for Collins, who passed for 2,676 yards with 12 touchdowns and seven interceptions. He threw another interception Saturday during the 13-10 loss to the Ravens.

“Kerry came in here and did a phenomenal job for us, and whether he is here or somewhere else he is an incredible quarterback,’’ center Kevin Mawae said. “He is a great player and any locker room would be lucky to have him. For us we hope he stays around.’’

“I know Kerry did a good job this year and if coaches feel he needs to be the quarterback next year we’ll be glad to have him,’’ fullback Ahmard Hall said. “If he wants to be here we’ll be glad to have him. But whoever it is I know they’ll do a great job.’’

Others steered clear of the issue.

“I don’t know who our quarterback is going to be,’’ linebacker Keith Bulluck said. “That is up to them, the guys competing for that position. But it doesn’t really matter right now.’’

Collins said the Titans told him little about his status or their plans, but he said his body feels good and his family loves Nashville and the team.

“I am at peace with my career to a certain extent,’’ Collins said. “Basically, the ball is in their court.’’
http://www.tennessean.com/article/20090112/SPORTS01/90112050

tony hipchest
01-13-2009, 12:17 PM
just heard bullock on the radio and he said something to the effect that he dont have time to be babysitting. (and he wasnt talking about collins).

revefsreleets
01-13-2009, 12:24 PM
There are plenty of teams that are hurting at QB and would probably leap at the chance. IMO this is a much safer bet than a one year wonder like DA or Cassels, especially for a team that drfats a QB next year in rd 3 or so and want to groom him for a year or two.

Dino 6 Rings
01-13-2009, 12:25 PM
Who? Some loser who can't win big games?

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-13-2009, 12:30 PM
Either way, I love it. If the Titans resign Collins, it means VY is probably on his way out and they have no QB of the future.

If they let Collins walk, they have to give Young the keys to the offense and maybe rely on a veteran like Grossman, Garcia, McCown to back him up?

I guess the question of do you draft Leinart, Young, Cutler?........is starting to play itself out. :chuckle:

stlrtruck
01-13-2009, 01:32 PM
just heard bullock on the radio and he said something to the effect that he dont have time to be babysitting. (and he wasnt talking about collins).

At least he admitted he needed a baby sitter after his actions saturday walking into the lockerroom.

The Duke
01-13-2009, 02:10 PM
At least he admitted he needed a baby sitter after his actions saturday walking into the lockerroom.

:thumbsup:

As for collins, I like him. He shouldn't be a titan

Young should be traded for whatever they can get. 6th, 7th round pick

SteelCurtain7
01-13-2009, 05:00 PM
Agreed all the way around. Collins has deserved this opportunity, while Young has squandered his.

MasterOfPuppets
01-13-2009, 05:16 PM
collins just wants to stay close to them tennessee corn squeezins....freakin drunk bum...:alcoholic

lilyoder6
01-13-2009, 05:18 PM
i do think that vince young can become a better qb.. but the titans NEEDS to get a wr.. they just don't have anyone in that position

PAMillerGrrl83
01-13-2009, 06:43 PM
collins just wants to stay close to them tennessee corn squeezins....freakin drunk bum...:alcoholic

I always thought he looked like a drunk.

HometownGal
01-13-2009, 06:56 PM
I think Collins has earned the right to be the starter in Hickessee. He's cleaned up his act with regard to the booze and he really impressed me this season, quite honestly.

Hey - if Lefty ends up leaving the Steelers to start somewhere else, Collins wouldn't be a bad option for a backup.

RoethlisBURGHer
01-14-2009, 01:14 AM
Collins deserves the right to go on TC as the starter and as long as he is healthy, start the season as the starter.

Anyone think the Titans would have had the season they did with Vince Young at QB? I doubt it.

Edman
01-14-2009, 01:57 AM
Kerry is too good and mature to be a Titan.

steelreserve
01-14-2009, 12:29 PM
I don't know why they don't just keep him as the starter next year. They just had the best record in the league, and it's not like they have anyone else ready to do the job.

Who even knows if Vince Young is in their future at all? If he doesn't get his shit together soon, he's just a bust, and there's no sense clinging onto the idea that he'll be The Great Hope For Tomorrow just because he was a high draft pick. If they're doing this well in the "interim," they ought to be happy about that and not mess with it needlessly.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-14-2009, 06:20 PM
Funny thing is that both Collins and Kurt Warner are in similar situations......not unlike Brett Favre was last season.

Collins is 36, Warner is 37 and last season, Favre was 38. All have/had young guys backing them up who were first round picks and at what point do you move on vs. pass the reigns of the offense to the young guy??

Collins is a journeyman and I dont think has much right to be giving ultimatums. If he was here I would offer him a 2 year deal and he comes in as the incumbent at QB.

lilyoder6
01-14-2009, 07:22 PM
if they keep collins next yr then they are having the risk of losing there qb of the future.. it's a risky shot right now

T.Richardson
01-14-2009, 11:00 PM
eh, he's alright, I dont thnik he could be astarter anymore.

steelreserve
01-15-2009, 12:08 AM
if they keep collins next yr then they are having the risk of losing there qb of the future.. it's a risky shot right now

Yeah, but the problem is, their qb of the future is a basket case. You don't get to be starter until you can go a whole year without trying to kill yourself.

Polamalu43
01-15-2009, 01:39 AM
honestly, think collins played over his head this year. IMO hes an average QB at best.

steelreserve
01-15-2009, 02:08 AM
honestly, think collins played over his head this year. IMO hes an average QB at best.

He can do well when he has the right supporting cast, like a good offensive line and a decent running game to back him up. Which the Titans had this year.

No way in hell would I want to make him the focus of my offense or start him on a team with holes, but if I were in Fisher's shoes, I'd look at my options and see one guy who's unremarkable but steady and reliable, and another guy who's talented but about as stable as the Unabomber.

BehindSteelCurtain
01-15-2009, 08:10 PM
I think they let Collins walk. VY is the starter and they have Grossman back him up and they take Percy Harvin in round 1.