PDA

View Full Version : Charley Casserly picks the Steelers

Fire Haley
01-13-2009, 01:50 PM
Smart man.

Rejuvenated McNabb, rested Steelers will meet in Super Bowl

I know a lot of people say it's hard to beat a team three times in one season, but not if you are the better team and the third game is at home.

I believe the Steelers are the better team for two main reasons: They are better at quarterback, and they are the healthier and more rested team.

The health of Samari Rolle and other Baltimore defenders will have an impact on the Ravens.

Baltimore has not had a week off since Week 2, when its game at the Texans was postponed because of Hurricane Ike. Pittsburgh had its normal bye during the season, plus a bye during wild-card weekend. I thought Baltimore looked tired in the Tennessee game this past weekend even though it won.

I do think playing last Saturday, which meant the Ravens received an extra day off, and the fact they are facing a very familiar opponent will help. They will not need as much prep time for this game and it is a short trip.

The other factor will be the availability of their injured players: defensive end/linebacker Terrell Suggs, cornerback Samari Rolle, safety Jim Leonhard and right tackle Willie Anderson. As of Sunday, the day after the Tennessee game, all of these players were questionable for the AFC title game.

I think both teams will struggle to run the ball and both will pressure the passer with blitzes. How the offensive lines handle this will go a long way toward deciding the winner. Pittsburgh's line has struggled this season in pass protection, but I think it did a better job Sunday against the Chargers. Also, Ben Roethlisberger is hard to sack because of his size and strength.

Joe Flacco has done a good job of not turning the ball over, and his arm strength has helped him make a couple of big-time throws in the playoffs. I think it would be a lot to ask Flacco to do it again in this game.

As a rookie, Roethlisberger was unbeaten as a starter going into the AFC title game, but then his inexperience seemed to catch up with him and he made some critical mistakes. I think the same thing will happen here with Flacco. The Pittsburgh defense will force him into some mistakes.

The Baltimore defense will be hard to run against and will put pressure on the QB, but you can make big plays against it if you can get some pass protection and withstand the first wave of its rush. There are holes in the coverage, and I think Pittsburgh will make some plays in the passing game because of this.

I like Pittsburgh to win the game.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/11255417

--------------------------

Ya gotta believe!

http://www.sportsocracy.org/imgs/believe.jpg

stlrtruck
01-13-2009, 02:25 PM
I think to many media pundits are stating the following:
As a rookie, Roethlisberger was unbeaten as a starter going into the AFC title game, but then his inexperience seemed to catch up with him and he made some critical mistakes. I think the same thing will happen here with Flacco. The Pittsburgh defense will force him into some mistakes.
Flacco has looked impressive all year and while he, just like Ben, has benefited from a great defense, you can't count on him becoming flustered or making "rookie" mistakes as part of victory. Victory needs to be obtained by the 53 men that don the black and gold and not rely upon the play of a player wearing purple!!!

Hines4ever
01-13-2009, 03:39 PM
I think I like it better when we are the underdog and no one picks us.:sweating:

NEPAsteeler
01-13-2009, 03:54 PM
I think I like it better when we are the underdog and no one picks us.:sweating:

I agree with you on that one. We seem to thrive in the underdog role. Just ask the '05 team.

Fire Haley
01-13-2009, 04:00 PM
Bullcrap. That whining for underdog status is the mark of losers.

Tomlin doesn't run that kind of ship.

NEPAsteeler
01-13-2009, 04:12 PM
It's just the fact that the Steelers always seemed to thrive in the underdog role. Don't get me wrong here... I'm happy that we're being picked to win this game. Skrew the Ratbirds.

Fire Haley
01-13-2009, 04:18 PM
The feeling I get from Tomlin is that this team thrives on thinking they can go out and beat anyone.

Same difference I guess.

NEPAsteeler
01-13-2009, 04:20 PM
You're right though, which is why I love this team and the mentality Tomlin has brought to the team.

The Duke
01-13-2009, 06:45 PM
Bullcrap. That whining for underdog status is the mark of losers.

Tomlin doesn't run that kind of ship.

Gotta agree with you here

In fact, I've heard fans from almost all teams say their team plays better as the underdog. Maybe the steelers proved they can win it all as the underdog, but that was 3 years ago

Don't get me wrong, I HATE the media attention. But the underdog rule is BS to me

just my opinion

Fire Haley
01-13-2009, 06:50 PM
I see the fire in Mike's eyes - I like it.

Feed the fire!

CaliStillersFan
01-13-2009, 06:53 PM
I don't care if we are the underdogs or not, but what I don't like is the media jumping on our bandwagon. Let's pray that the ESPN analysts all pick Baltimore sine my dog could break down match-ups and make better picks than those fools.

:tt:

Fire Haley
01-13-2009, 06:58 PM
The ones I saw were all mostly 99% right picking the Steelers over S.D.

I'll ride that ship.

KeiselPower99
01-13-2009, 07:04 PM
That one jackass on first take says the Ravens will beat us. Just to prove him wrong we will win.