PDA

View Full Version : Wanna piss off a Ravens fan?

RoethlisBURGHer
01-13-2009, 02:56 PM
Just remind them that thier team is the bastard child of the Cleveland Browns!

I was talking to someone who I thought was a friend of mine yesterday, and he started talking about the Ravens history. He brought up Jim Brown and Johnny Unitas!

I told him to shut the hell up. Unitas played for the Colts, all The championships and records all went with the Colts to Indianapolis. And that Jim Brown played for the Browns, who's history and records all stayed in Cleveland when the team moved and became the Baltimore Ravens.

I told him that his team isn't even 20 years old, and they really do not have a history. I then told him that the only history his team has right now is the fact that they are the bastard child of the Cleveland Browns.

He won't talk to me anymore, which really isn't that much of a loss. :tt03:

SteelCityMan786
01-13-2009, 03:03 PM
The History of the Browns for some reason still Belongs to the Browns. The Ravens history began with year 1 in Baltimore.

i82much
01-13-2009, 03:06 PM
Too bad Johnny U isn't around anymore. He'd tell you how great Peyton Manning is, and in the same breath tell you everything he ever did belongs in Baltimore.

Look dude obviously the Steelers have an awesome history, and believe it or not folks in Baltimore respect that. It's really small of you disparage other cities - I mean hey, Johnny U wouldn't do it.

RoethlisBURGHer
01-13-2009, 03:14 PM
Too bad Johnny U isn't around anymore. He'd tell you how great Peyton Manning is, and in the same breath tell you everything he ever did belongs in Baltimore.

Look dude obviously the Steelers have an awesome history, and believe it or not folks in Baltimore respect that. It's really small of you disparage other cities - I mean hey, Johnny U wouldn't do it.

Where did I disparage the city of Baltimore? Please, point that out.

I have been the Baltimore three times, I love that city. I haven't been there in years and I cannot wait to eventually go back.

I was just correcting my now I guess ex-friend about his teams history. Johnny U played for the COLTS who moved to INDIANAPOLIS with all of the COLTS records.

And Jim Brown played for the CLEVELAND BROWNS, when the team moved from CLEVELAND to BALTIMORE the history, name, and colors of the BROWNS stayed in CLEVELAND and the first year of the history of the BALTIMORE RAVENS is 1996.

The Ravens have none of the history of the Browns or the Colts in thier background. My "friend" didn't like the fact that I pointed out that his team's history is as the bastard child if the Browns.

When the Colts moved they got to take the name, colors, and history to Indianapolis. When the Browns moved they got to keep the name, colors, and history. That really does make the Ravens the bastard child if the Browns.

It's just I have seen quite a few Ravens fans, my "friend" included, who try to bring the history of two teams that are not the Ravens (Cleveland Browns, Indianapolis Colts) into thier own teams history. I get rather sick of it.

I know Johnny U was loyal to the Ravens when they came to town, but I think he understood that his accomishments sit with the Colts. And while he may not of liked it, I think he knew that those accomplishments could not be changed because the only thing the Colts and Ravens have in common is that one played in Baltimore and one currently does.

I also think it's rather hypocritical of any Ravens fan to bitch about the Colts moving and then turn around and support the Ravens...who stole a football team from Cleveland to have one of thier own. If you support the Ravens, you shouldn't be allowed to bitch about the Colts moving to Indy.

i82much
01-13-2009, 03:16 PM
Johnny U was loyal to the Ravens

'nuff said.

RoethlisBURGHer
01-13-2009, 03:19 PM
'nuff said.

Yes, and I have no problems with that. I just dont like when Ravens fans try to add the Colts or Browns history to thier own. Just be satisfied that all records show that anything the Colts did in Baltimore is recorded as the Baltimore Colts, IMHO.

i82much
01-13-2009, 03:27 PM
Yeah it was tough seeing Cleveland lose their team. Knew how they felt.

RoethlisBURGHer
01-13-2009, 03:31 PM
Yeah it was tough seeing Cleveland lose their team. Knew how they felt.

It was tough for me to, I live in Cleveland.

What Modell did was messed up. He was offered a new stadium twice, turned Cleveland down twice, and then said he couldn't get a new stadium out of the city and needed to move or he'd be losing money. That is why Cleveland got to keep the name, colors, and history. The city filed lsawsuits against Modell, the NFL, and the city of Baltimore and that's how all three got settled...along with Cleveland being gauranteed the next NFL expansion team.

i82much
01-13-2009, 03:32 PM
I'm glad they got to keep the name and records, etc. Wish we would have gotten the same deal.

TeeJay
01-13-2009, 04:06 PM
Then take them on a tour of Heinz Field......................:thumbsup:

Show them the delights of The Steeler Trophy Cabinet. :tt03:

Show them a real Stadium. :tt03:

Show them real fans. :tt03:

Take them on a tour of Pittsburgh......... :tt03:

.....and show them a FRANCHISE!!! :tt03::tt03::tt03:

:helmet:

HometownGal
01-13-2009, 04:21 PM
Wanna piss off a Ravens fan?

BEAT THE LIVING SHIT OUT OF THE RATS THIS SUNDAY EVENING! :tt03::tt02::tt:

TeeJay
01-13-2009, 04:25 PM

BEAT THE LIVING SHIT OUT OF THE RATS THIS SUNDAY EVENING! :tt03::tt02::tt:

:rofl:

And there was me trying to be a bit diplomatic.......for once....and not swear!

stlrtruck
01-13-2009, 05:02 PM
Regardless of what Johnny U wanted to do for the browns when they moved to baltimore, it doesn't take away from the fact that all that history went to Indianapolis with THE COLTS and the other stayed in Cleveland with THE BROWNS. Johnny U could probably tell the city of baltimore the sky was green and they'd believe him.

i82much
01-13-2009, 05:23 PM
Regardless of what Johnny U wanted to do for the browns when they moved to baltimore, it doesn't take away from the fact that all that history went to Indianapolis with THE COLTS and the other stayed in Cleveland with THE BROWNS. Johnny U could probably tell the city of baltimore the sky was green and they'd believe him.

Yes. You are absolutely correct. Because the Colts are technically the same franchise that was in Baltimore, there is absolutely no Baltimore Colts history left in our poor city. Indeed, most of us are unaware such a team ever existed. Thank you for your astute analysis.

MathWiz
01-13-2009, 05:45 PM
The History of the Browns for some reason still Belongs to the Browns. The Ravens history began with year 1 in Baltimore.

The Ravens were essentially an expansion team, all rights to the Browns and their records were then owned by the NFL who then sold them to Al Lerner.

Charles

Stover4Prez
01-13-2009, 06:01 PM
While I respect you team's franchise and agree you have a rich tradition, please do not speak of things in Baltimore that you do not understand.

There is no self respecting Baltimore fan that would ever claim a single accomplishment of the Colts of Indiannapolis. That being said, you cannot say that we don't own the history of the games and traditions that took place while the Baltimore Colts were in existence. Because a franchise moves to another city does not take away the rich and long tradition of professional football in Baltimore. We do not claim that Peyton Manning is our savior as Indy would be stupid to claim Johnny U as theirs. What happens in Baltimore stays in Baltimore in terms of traditions and accomplishments of the team that played there.

As for the "poor Browns", I'm a bit tired of hearing it. I agree that sucked for them. And trust me, in Baltimore we ALL know how that feels! But they kept their name, colors, and EVERYTHING in addition to instantly being garunteed a new team! Baltimore did EVERYTHING to get an expansion team, but was denied by Tagliabue and Jack Kent Cook. So we resorted to the last option when Modell was looking for somewhere to go.

So do the Ravens have a long storied history in Baltimore, NO. But does Baltimore have a long storied football history, ABSOLUTELY. And you can see it everywhere in Baltimore from the stadium to the sports museum. The Baltimore Colts were and always will be part of Baltimore Football History. And if you don't believe that, I ask you would you disown Jerome Bettis as a legend of the Pittsburgh Steelers because the franchise moved to Fargo, North Dakota? I don't think so, nor would I expect you to.

So tell your Baltimore friend you understand now, or continue with your outrageous claims that the Colts history before 1983 doesn't belong to Baltimore.

Crow-Magnon
01-13-2009, 06:06 PM

Simple. Have the Steelers win Sunday.

Until then, shaddap! :coffee:

Stlrs4Life
01-13-2009, 06:22 PM
Heh, never understood the entire ordeal. Never would happen here. But, I still to this day call them the Baltimore Browns.

Stover4Prez
01-13-2009, 06:36 PM
Heh, never understood the entire ordeal. Never would happen here. But, I still to this day call them the Baltimore Browns.

Do you then call Indy the Baltimore Colts? If not, what's the difference?

Crow-Magnon
01-13-2009, 06:42 PM

Oh No!

That's different! :doh:

stlrtruck
01-13-2009, 09:35 PM
please do not speak of things in Baltimore that you do not understand.

There is no self respecting Baltimore fan that would ever claim a single accomplishment of the Colts of Indiannapolis.

Before you go thumping your chest that people on this board don't know a thing about baltimore you should make sure you know with whom you are having a conversation. I spent my entire childhood, teenage, and 20's in the area and I am fully aware of the history of baltimore and it's sports franchises. So I do have the "right" as you put it to speak of such things.

And I've heard more than one ratbirds fan attempt to ride the COLTS coat tails on history. The city didn't do a damn thing for the COLTS, hell before they left town you could get a ticket on game day easier than you could get change for a buck! Baltimore didn't deserve the COLTS, they barely supported them and then for the longest time, even the ratbirds had tickets available on game day. Yeah, great fan base and a great start to a new franchise.

Ratbird fans want to argue this that and the other about the COLTS history and how those previous Super Bowls belong to the city. Well that's just about the most idiotic statement I've ever heard. Those trophies belong to the franchise that once played the hollowed grounds of Memorial Stadium.

jev7452
01-13-2009, 09:43 PM
only thing i have to say about this topic is that all the history might be part of baltimore, but has NOTHING to do with the ravens.. no disrespect to the city what-so-ever..

MasterOfPuppets
01-13-2009, 10:30 PM
Those trophies belong to the franchise that once played the hollowed grounds of Memorial Stadium.thats my only question.....are the trophies the colts won still in baltimore??? ....case closed....:popcorn:

Stover4Prez
01-14-2009, 01:31 AM
thats my only question.....are the trophies the colts won still in baltimore??? ....case closed....:popcorn:

You mean the one the Baltimore Colts won in Super Bowl V? Yeah, its in Baltimore. Get your facts straight and then claim to know our history.

Stover4Prez
01-14-2009, 01:48 AM
Before you go thumping your chest that people on this board don't know a thing about baltimore you should make sure you know with whom you are having a conversation. I spent my entire childhood, teenage, and 20's in the area and I am fully aware of the history of baltimore and it's sports franchises. So I do have the "right" as you put it to speak of such things.

And I've heard more than one ratbirds fan attempt to ride the COLTS coat tails on history. The city didn't do a damn thing for the COLTS, hell before they left town you could get a ticket on game day easier than you could get change for a buck! Baltimore didn't deserve the COLTS, they barely supported them and then for the longest time, even the ratbirds had tickets available on game day. Yeah, great fan base and a great start to a new franchise.

Ratbird fans want to argue this that and the other about the COLTS history and how those previous Super Bowls belong to the city. Well that's just about the most idiotic statement I've ever heard. Those trophies belong to the franchise that once played the hollowed grounds of Memorial Stadium.

Well for a person versed in the history of Baltimore, you apparently have no recollection of the fans or the passion of the city. I will tell you though that the heart and soul of Baltimore fans was ripped out that cold snowy night when Bob Irsay stole the team to Indy. Apparently you don't remember Donald Shafer crying on the front door step of his row house the morning after, or the despair of the fans. Was everything handled perfectly by the city, no. But Irsay swore on television that he would consult the city before he left, and he did not.

Regardless, you will never convince a single die hard BALTIMORE fan who remembers the Colts, that football in our city before 1983 no longer exists. From the Colts marching band (which stayed in existence until it became the Ravens marching band) to Johnny Unitas (who is in the ring of honor at M&T Bank Stadium and has a #19 flag that is carried by the color guard), this city will always embrace its deep football history. Ever been to Unitas Plaza? Ever seen every Raven fan entering there rub the foot of the statue of Unitas before the game? Don't tell me it isn't our history. You don't have to like it or understand it. But it is a fact.

And as for the Super Bowl V Lombardi trophy won by the BALTIMORE Colts, it sits in a case on display about 800 yards from Ravens Stadium. Just in case you want to go "re-educate" yourself.

MJ5150
01-14-2009, 03:34 AM
OK, so you got your history from before 1983. I have no issues with that.

Is it going to help you win this Sunday? :chuckle:

-Mike

Ravengirl
01-14-2009, 08:31 AM

I was talking to someone who I thought was a friend of mine yesterday, and he started talking about the Ravens history. He brought up Jim Brown and Johnny Unitas!

I told him to shut the hell up. Unitas played for the Colts, all The championships and records all went with the Colts to Indianapolis. And that Jim Brown played for the Browns, who's history and records all stayed in Cleveland when the team moved and became the Baltimore Ravens.

I told him that his team isn't even 20 years old, and they really do not have a history. I then told him that the only history his team has right now is the fact that they are the bastard child of the Cleveland Browns.

Yeah, Cleveland moved to Baltimore. So what? It's the past. Besides, Cleveland got their team back, colors, logo, and history within a matter of what.....3-4 years. It took Baltimore 13 years !!!! to get back to the NFL. You can't call yourself an educated person of sports if you attempt to take away the contributions Baltimore Colts have given to the league. Most of the Baltimore Colts have said numerous times that they will always be a Baltimore Colt. And even Johnny Unitas himself asked Indy to no longer identify him with that team. You may live in Cleveland, but you don't identify with the pain of losing a team in your city feels like because you are a Steeler fan. Yes, the Steelers are lucky to have remained in Pittsburgh, but just appreciate what you have and don't bash others because of something that happened years ago. Do you think the Ravens are going to be thinking about 1983 when we beat the Steelers Sunday?

Within a 10-11 year span, the Ravens have won a Super Bowl and the Browns are still in spiral downward. If anything, I think the Ravens history is starting off very bright and it will continue to shine significantly by Sunday evening.

stlrtruck
01-14-2009, 08:49 AM
And as for the Super Bowl V Lombardi trophy won by the BALTIMORE Colts, it sits in a case on display about 800 yards from Ravens Stadium. Just in case you want to go "re-educate" yourself.

Last time I heard it was a replica and there's also one with the COLTS too.

I don't need a re-education on anything from baltimore. Fans stopped going to COLTS games well before 83, they were left for dead, and the owner moved them out of town. Even when the browns came to town, it was the same - half empty stadiums.

You can thump your chest and make it sound like baltimore supported their teams but it wasn't until they were gone that they realized what they had. And I could give two craps left about some mayor crying on his front porch. Boo-freakin'-hoo!

And now finally that they've got a team that alternates between basement and trying to win the division and also playing in the playoffs, they (the fans) think they've reached some pinnacle of fandom.

stlrtruck
01-14-2009, 08:50 AM
Within a 10-11 year span, the Ravens have won a Super Bowl and the Browns are still in spiral downward. If anything, I think the Ravens history is starting off very bright and it will continue to shine significantly by Sunday evening.

Yes, the lights of history will be shining brightly off the back of their helmets as they walk off the field, heads down, in defeat!!

RoethlisBURGHer
01-14-2009, 09:22 AM
If someone wants to give me the history of pro football in Baltimore, that includes the Baltimore Colts.

But when someone tries to give me a Ravens history lesson as my "friend" (he is still not speaking to me), then I prefer them to stick to 1996 and beyond, because the Ravens are 1996 and beyond, anything before 1996 is the Colts who moved to Indianapolis. Anything before 1996 is in Cleveland, not Baltimore but some people do try to cling to that as Ravens history.

Some Ravens fans, like the family I have in Friendsville, don't seem to realize this stuff.

Ravens history is from 1996-present. Just because Johnny Unitas seperated himself from the Colts when they moved, because there is a #19 flag for him, because he's in the Ravens Ring of Honor, and because he openly supported the Ravens doesn't make his accomplishments that of the Ravens...which there are those who do think that.

SteelCityKing
01-14-2009, 09:24 AM
i pissed off a few good Ravens fans telling them, "hey! i heard both team were wearing their throwback jerseys for the AFC Championship game. the Steelers are wearing the cool ones from back in the day...and the Ravens WERE going to wear theirs, but the Browns already wear them!"

they grumble as they walk away. i would too if i was a Ravens fan! haha!

RoethlisBURGHer
01-14-2009, 09:29 AM
i pissed off a few good Ravens fans telling them, "hey! i heard both team were wearing their throwback jerseys for the AFC Championship game. the Steelers are wearing the cool ones from back in the day...and the Ravens WERE going to wear theirs, but the Browns already wear them!"

That is effen great! :tt03:

i82much
01-14-2009, 09:30 AM
It's not about Ravens/Colts. It's about Baltimore football. If you're still confused, read down to where Johnny U told the Hall of Fame to take his display down unless they listed it as Baltimore:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Unitas

Think anybody here in B-more cares about what the NFL or the Hall of Fame says? Johnny U was on our side, and that's all that really matters.

Stlrs4Life
01-14-2009, 09:33 AM

Yes, as a matter of fact I do.

TackleMeBen
01-14-2009, 09:40 AM
cant we all just get along...:flap:

SteelCityKing
01-14-2009, 09:48 AM
cant we all just get along...:flap:

i don't think we're allowed even if we wanted to! haha!

TackleMeBen
01-14-2009, 09:52 AM
i don't think we're allowed even if we wanted to! haha!
lol.. maybe not since its the ravens... :chuckle:

Crow-Magnon
01-14-2009, 09:57 AM

Lemme see.......the Lions, Cardinals, Seahawks, Bills, Browns, Bengals, Chargers, Eagles, Vikings and maybe one or two more NFL teams I've missed have throwback uniforms and have never won a SB. Some have never played in one.

I could care less about throwback unis. Half of them look like crap anyway.

The fact is Baltimore has a rich football history. Some of it was with the Colts up to 1983 and the rest is with the Ravens from 1996 to today.

If you choose not to recognize that, I'm not losing any sleep over it.

SteelCityKing
01-14-2009, 09:58 AM
lol.. maybe not since its the ravens... :chuckle:

haha! i meant we wouldn't be allowed to get along by people within this site. god forbid we make friends with any Ravens or Browns fans...we might as well kick ourselves off the site! haha!

KIDDING! i know all friends are welcome here. just not trolls, douchebags, haters, trash talkers, and bandwagoners! haha!

SteelCityKing
01-14-2009, 09:59 AM
Lemme see.......the Lions, Cardinals, Seahawks, Bills, Browns, Bengals, Chargers, Eagles, Vikings and maybe one or two more NFL teams I've missed have throwback uniforms and have never won a SB. Some have never played in one.

I could care less about throwback unis. Half of them look like crap anyway.

The fact is Baltimore has a rich football history. Some of it was with the Colts up to 1983 and the rest is with the Ravens from 1996 to today.

If you choose not to recognize that, I'm not losing any sleep over it.

if you choose not to recognize it was a joke, then you can bite me! =)

Crow-Magnon
01-14-2009, 10:03 AM
if you choose not to recognize it was a joke, then you can bite me! =)

Seriously, you may have meant it as a joke. But I'm sure there are plenty of posters here that took it as gospel.

Besides, the Ravens could have a throwback wearing this

http://tbn2.google.com/images?q=tbn:3YheBX272JgnrM:http://www.farposters.com/shopimages/products/thumbnails/Baltimore%2520Ravens.jpg

but they would get sued!

SteelCityKing
01-14-2009, 10:06 AM
Seriously, you may have meant it as a joke. But I'm sure there are plenty of posters here that took it as gospel.

Besides, the Ravens could have a throwback wearing this

http://tbn2.google.com/images?q=tbn:3YheBX272JgnrM:http://www.farposters.com/shopimages/products/thumbnails/Baltimore%2520Ravens.jpg

but they would get sued!

yeah, how cool is that? the Ravens can't even think of their own idea for a logo so they go and steal it from someone else? what a bunch of winners.

i read the opener to this thread and it said "wanna piss off a Ravens fan?" i guess i did my job. have a nice day Crap-Magnet! =)

Stover4Prez
01-14-2009, 10:20 AM
Last time I heard it was a replica and there's also one with the COLTS too.

I don't need a re-education on anything from baltimore. Fans stopped going to COLTS games well before 83, they were left for dead, and the owner moved them out of town. Even when the browns came to town, it was the same - half empty stadiums.

You can thump your chest and make it sound like baltimore supported their teams but it wasn't until they were gone that they realized what they had. And I could give two craps left about some mayor crying on his front porch. Boo-freakin'-hoo!

And now finally that they've got a team that alternates between basement and trying to win the division and also playing in the playoffs, they (the fans) think they've reached some pinnacle of fandom.

The team copy of the Lombardi Trophy is in Baltimore. There is not one in Indy. I believe the original presented at the game actually resides with the old owner who took it to LA when he bought the Rams.

Regardless, I fail to see your point. You are better fans? We don't care about our team? Great. Think that. I'm not getting into a pissing contest with someone who just wants to "thump his chest" apparently. Bottom line, Baltimore is a football town with fans that didn't die in '83. We are loyal and passionate about our team, just like you are about the Steelers. You can't claim we aren't fans. The same fans that sold out an exhibition game during our bid for an expansion team in record time! The fans that clung to the Baltimore Stallions (Grey Cup Winners btw) in the time we were waiting for an NFL team. My point was that Baltimore has a rich tradition dating back to the first game of the Baltimore Colts which is still celebrated today. That's it.

As for those claiming the records and history of the Browns as the Ravens, or even the history of the Baltimore Colts as the Ravens, they are wrong. Ravens history starts in 1996.

GO RAVENS! BEAT THE steelers!

RoethlisBURGHer
01-14-2009, 10:21 AM
I think some of you Baltimore fans are missing the point I am trying to make.

I know quite a few Ravens fans with my having family in Maryland. I have no problem with anyone talking about the history of Baltimore football and including the Baltimore Colts. Baltimore Colts football is a part of the city of Baltimore's football history. I don't think anyone here will argue that.

However, the people that I talk to often try to take what the Colts did in Baltimore and add that on to the Ravens. If someone wants to talk Ravens football, then IMHO, they need to stick to 1996 to the present because anything Colts or Browns is Colts or Browns history, not RAVENS history.

Even though Johnny Unitas, whom I have the utmost respect for, openly supported the Ravens, has a flag with his number fly when the team takes the field, and has his number in the Ring of Honor at M&T Bank Stadium...it does not make his accomplishments as a player become Ravens history.

The Baltimore Ravens were established in 1996. So anyone that wants to talk Ravens needs to talk from 1996 to now and leave anything the Colts did or the Browns did before then out of the conversation.

MasterOfPuppets
01-14-2009, 10:25 AM
You mean the one the Baltimore Colts won in Super Bowl V? Yeah, its in Baltimore. Get your facts straight and then claim to know our history. i find it very hard to believe irsay would leave HIS trophy in baltimore.. as was said , there may be a replica there. as far as history goes, i am from MD, and i was in high school when the colts left town, so its not like i wasn't born yet, like most of you ratbird fans. in fact my father was from baltimore, and was a die hard colts fan. thats probably why i disliked them so much. hell i even lived in that dirtbag city for over a year, back in the 90's.:doh:

Stover4Prez
01-14-2009, 10:26 AM
The Baltimore Ravens were established in 1996. So anyone that wants to talk Ravens needs to talk from 1996 to now and leave anything the Colts did or the Browns did before then out of the conversation.

I couldn't agree more. "Ravens" history starts in '96. "Baltimore" history starts well before. Anyone claiming Unitas played for the Ravens is completely wrong.

i82much
01-14-2009, 10:26 AM
If someone wants to talk Ravens football, then IMHO, they need to stick to 1996 to the present because anything Colts or Browns is Colts or Browns history, not RAVENS history.

Maybe they are talking Baltimore football.

RoethlisBURGHer
01-14-2009, 10:29 AM
I couldn't agree more. "Ravens" history starts in '96. "Baltimore" history starts well before. Anyone claiming Unitas played for the Ravens is completely wrong.

Hey, if you or any other Baltimore fan ever wants to discuss the history of Baltimore football, I'd be glad to. I am a football junkie, and when the Browns team got relocated I read a few books on the move of the Colts, and the Baltimore Colts in general.

I am also a huge Johnny Unitas fan. Personally, I think he was the greatest QB to ever play the game.

Stover4Prez
01-14-2009, 10:32 AM
i find it very hard to believe irsay would leave HIS trophy in baltimore.. as was said , there may be a replica there. as far as history goes, i am from MD, and i was in high school when the colts left town, so its not like i wasn't born yet, like most of you ratbird fans. in fact my father was from baltimore, and was a die hard colts fan. thats probably why i disliked them so much. hell i even lived in that dirtbag city for over a year, back in the 90's.:doh:

I agree because Irsay was a complete ass! However he did not own the trophy, nor was he the owner in Super Bowl V. Carroll Rosenbloom was the owner and took it in 1972 when he actually stole it claiming he wanted Baltimore to bring it out for a "display" in LA and then kept it. A second trophy was made for the Colts and originally moved to Indy, however it was returned to Baltimore and resides in the museum near the stadium.

The original is still in the Rosenbloom family.

Crow-Magnon
01-14-2009, 10:33 AM
Hey, if you or any other Baltimore fan ever wants to discuss the history of Baltimore football, I'd be glad to. I am a football junkie, and when the Browns team got relocated I read a few books on the move of the Colts, and the Baltimore Colts in general.

I am also a huge Johnny Unitas fan. Personally, I think he was the greatest QB to ever play the game.

Letting Unitas go was one of the worst mistakes the Steelers ever made. And a local kid to boot!

SteelCityKing
01-14-2009, 10:35 AM
i agree. i always get jacked when people talk "oh, the Browns won more championships...before the merger!"

it's like, quit living in the past bro. SOME people might take it to heart and give a crap. but most people will say, think about the here and now and the future.

Ravens and Browns fans are SO bitter about life. it's funny to me.

Stover4Prez
01-14-2009, 10:47 AM
Even when the browns came to town, it was the same - half empty stadiums.

A link for your review. Pay particular attention to #9 and #21 on the list.

http://www.bizjournals.com/edit_special/43.html

Also, the Browns were "suspended" and the franchise that is in Baltimore was actually an expansion team given to Modell when he moved. So there is NO claim for anything Browns in Baltimore.

i82much
01-14-2009, 10:48 AM
i agree. i always get jacked when people talk "oh, the Browns won more championships...before the merger!" haha!

it's like, quit living in the past bro. SOME people might take it to heart and give a crap. but most people will say, think about the here and now and the future.

Sort of an odd thing to say for a Steelers fan. Nothing wrong with having all those NFL championships, even if many were a long time ago. Many in B-more feel the same about the 50's Colts teams as those in Pittsburgh do about your 70's Steelers.

SteelCityKing
01-14-2009, 10:51 AM
can't ANYONE just be happy with the team they got!?

MasterOfPuppets
01-14-2009, 11:00 AM
The team copy of the Lombardi Trophy is in Baltimore. There is not one in Indy. I believe the original presented at the game actually resides with the old owner who took it to LA when he bought the Rams.

Regardless, I fail to see your point. You are better fans? We don't care about our team? Great. Think that. I'm not getting into a pissing contest with someone who just wants to "thump his chest" apparently. Bottom line, Baltimore is a football town with fans that didn't die in '83. We are loyal and passionate about our team, just like you are about the Steelers. You can't claim we aren't fans. The same fans that sold out an exhibition game during our bid for an expansion team in record time! The fans that clung to the Baltimore Stallions (Grey Cup Winners btw) in the time we were waiting for an NFL team. My point was that Baltimore has a rich tradition dating back to the first game of the Baltimore Colts which is still celebrated today. That's it.

As for those claiming the records and history of the Browns as the Ravens, or even the history of the Baltimore Colts as the Ravens, they are wrong. Ravens history starts in 1996.

GO RAVENS! BEAT THE steelers!if the raven fans are sooooo loyal and passionate, then explain to me why they felt the need to make a plea on the radio, for baltimore fans too stop selling thier tickets to steeler fans....:toofunny:

"They killed me for that," Siragusa said, giggling now.

"That whole thing was directed more at our fans. I was tired of seeing all the Steelers fans in our stadium. So I told our fans to stop being wimps and stop selling their tickets to Steelers fans. Then, I might have said something crazy like they should pee on their leg or something. But it was all in good fun."

RoethlisBURGHer
01-14-2009, 11:06 AM
Letting Unitas go was one of the worst mistakes the Steelers ever made. And a local kid to boot!

I know man. The QB lineage in Pittsburgh could be:

Unitas
Bradshaw
Marino
Roethlisberger

That would be sweeeeeet! lol

Crow-Magnon
01-14-2009, 11:12 AM
I know man. The QB lineage in Pittsburgh could be:

Unitas
Bradshaw
Marino
Roethlisberger

That would be sweeeeeet! lol

There's something about Western PA and quarterbacks.

Ravengirl
01-14-2009, 11:12 AM
only thing i have to say about this topic is that all the history might be part of baltimore, but has NOTHING to do with the ravens.. no disrespect to the city what-so-ever..

Then you are in denial and just ignorant to the sport. :coffee:

Ravengirl
01-14-2009, 11:16 AM
if the raven fans are sooooo loyal and passionate, then explain to me why they felt the need to make a plea on the radio, for baltimore fans too stop selling thier tickets to steeler fans....:toofunny:

Well, ketchup stadium is going to be empty by 8:30 pm once the Ravens seal the deal and advance to the Super Bowl. Good luck with that and take your snot rag with you.

RoethlisBURGHer
01-14-2009, 11:17 AM
Sort of an odd thing to say for a Steelers fan. Nothing wrong with having all those NFL championships, even if many were a long time ago. Many in B-more feel the same about the 50's Colts teams as those in Pittsburgh do about your 70's Steelers.

Here's what I tell the Browns fans that bring up the AAFC Championships:

1. The NFL doesn't recognize the championships won or the statistics from that season, so how do you expect me to?

2. The Steelers were not in the AAFC, so I don't see how those championships won have any bearing whatsoever on your argument. That would be like the Steelers jumping to a new league and winning championships there, it has no bearing on anything in an argument against the Browns, if the Browns are in a different league.

3. To be nice and fair, I will give the Browns thier four NFL Championships won when they entered the NFL, so we still have the edge 5-4. However, recognize that most people only truly recognize Super Bowl Championships where we hold a 5-0 edge. Why? Because the Super Bowl marks two things...the NFL's so-called "modern era" and when professional football started to become popular in the United States.

MasterOfPuppets
01-14-2009, 11:24 AM
Well, ketchup stadium is going to be empty by 8:30 pm once the Ravens seal the deal and advance to the Super Bowl. Good luck with that and take your snot rag with you.
and yet it will still never be half full of gay purple.........where were all of you ratbird fans last year? :noidea: we may have had one or two last year drop by before the 1st game....of course they never returned.....just like ya'll won't be back after sunday...:popcorn:

Stover4Prez
01-14-2009, 11:26 AM
Here's what I tell the Browns fans that bring up the AAFC Championships:

1. The NFL doesn't recognize the championships won or the statistics from that season, so how do you expect me to?

2. The Steelers were not in the AAFC, so I don't see how those championships won have any bearing whatsoever on your argument. That would be like the Steelers jumping to a new league and winning championships there, it has no bearing on anything in an argument against the Browns, if the Browns are in a different league.

3. To be nice and fair, I will give the Browns thier four NFL Championships won when they entered the NFL, so we still have the edge 5-4. However, recognize that most people only truly recognize Super Bowl Championships where we hold a 5-0 edge. Why? Because the Super Bowl marks two things...the NFL's so-called "modern era" and when professional football started to become popular in the United States.

Does this mean you aren't going to count Baltimore's Gray Cup as a championship ring for us? :hyper:You Steelers guys are tough! :rofl:

SteelCityKing
01-14-2009, 11:29 AM
if the raven fans are sooooo loyal and passionate, then explain to me why they felt the need to make a plea on the radio, for baltimore fans too stop selling thier tickets to steeler fans....:toofunny:

even if the ticket sellers decided NOT to sell to Steeler fans, there probably still wouldn't be enough Raven fans to fill the stadium. but don't worry, they can't stop us from tailgating and drowing every last one of you purple-sportin' goons in the harbor! haha!

i love when teams do that. the Bengals did it the year Carson slipped and fell on Kim Von Olfheoffen's body. they said, "don't sell to anyone with a 412 or 724 area code." not realizing we are smart enough to block our numbers OR have someone from an 814 area code such as myself call for them! DUH!

SteelCityKing
01-14-2009, 11:30 AM
There's something about Western PA and quarterbacks.

they call it the Cradle of Quartebacks. i'll agree to that. =)

stlrtruck
01-14-2009, 11:30 AM

Also, the Browns were "suspended" and the franchise that is in Baltimore was actually an expansion team given to Modell when he moved. So there is NO claim for anything Browns in Baltimore.

And what that little article doesn't mention is how many of those sold out games were sold to visiting team's fans?

And the claim wasn't about the browns being in baltimore it was about their move to baltimore - you do realize that still happened. It wasn't an expansion team, it was another NFL team moving to baltimore, in this case the browns.

However, even with all that crap that followed the browns into baltimore, I will say this, Tagliabue hated baltimore and screwed them out of the expansion teams when Carolina and Jacksonville were announced.

SteelCityKing
01-14-2009, 11:31 AM

the same snot rag you'll probably be wiping your tears with. =)

i thought you had a tea party to host or a wedding to plan? leave.

RoethlisBURGHer
01-14-2009, 11:32 AM
Then you are in denial and just ignorant to the sport. :coffee:

The only part of Colts history that has to do with the Ravens is the fact that they moved, leaving Baltimore vacant of an NFL team until the Ravens came to Baltimore in 1996.

The records of the Colts, the five NFL Championships and one Super Bowl Championship won by the Baltimore Colts are in the history of the Indianapolis Colts.

Baltimore Colts 1953-1983

Baltimore Ravens 1996-present

Get it?

Crushzilla
01-14-2009, 11:33 AM

So the Steelers were punished for being above .500 in the past decade?

Also, I have to question some of these numbers.

What's the Steelers' sellout streak? Like 300 games?

Stover4Prez
01-14-2009, 11:39 AM
And what that little article doesn't mention is how many of those sold out games were sold to visiting team's fans?

And the claim wasn't about the browns being in baltimore it was about their move to baltimore - you do realize that still happened. It wasn't an expansion team, it was another NFL team moving to baltimore, in this case the browns.

However, even with all that crap that followed the browns into baltimore, I will say this, Tagliabue hated baltimore and screwed them out of the expansion teams when Carolina and Jacksonville were announced.

True, but as many have pointed out, "stats don't lie" And the fact is attendance in Baltimore is higher than Pittsburgh from 1996 to 2005. If you want to find out the "visiting team's" attendance in Baltimore and Pittsburgh, please I would love to see the info. But your claims that the stadium was half empty is just flat wrong.

As for the Browns, the personnel and owner did move from Cleveland to Baltimore. However, according to the NFL, the Browns FRANCHISE was suspended for 3 years and Art Modell was awarded an "expansion franchise" that became the Baltimore Ravens. That is why there is NO link to Cleveland, other than they had to be the victims of the NFL's mishandlings.

SteelCityKing
01-14-2009, 11:40 AM
since when did the color of envy turn from green to purple!? =)

Stover4Prez
01-14-2009, 11:42 AM
So the Steelers were punished for being above .500 in the past decade?

Also, I have to question some of these numbers.

What's the Steelers' sellout streak? Like 300 games?

The record doesn't play into attendance. And I think the streak started in 1972 for you guys and it is damn impressive! Even Cal Ripken himself would say so!

But the article is taking into account actual butts in seats at each game. So while they might have sold all the tickets, if people didn't show up they are not counted.

I only posted this to show that the Ravens have had 90% plus capacity attendance since their birth in Baltimore. Someone had claimed the stadium was "half empty"

i82much
01-14-2009, 11:43 AM
The only part of Colts history that has to do with the Ravens is the fact that they moved, leaving Baltimore vacant of an NFL team until the Ravens came to Baltimore in 1996.

The records of the Colts, the five NFL Championships and one Super Bowl Championship won by the Baltimore Colts are in the history of the Indianapolis Colts.

Baltimore Colts 1953-1983

Baltimore Ravens 1996-present

Get it?

Ask the old Colts about that. I'd say they are far better positioned than you to answer the question of where their history really belongs. And they've spoken pretty clearly. From what I've seen, most Steelers fans are pretty classy and I'm sure are smart enough to take Johnny U's word over yours.

Stover4Prez
01-14-2009, 11:43 AM
since when did the color of envy turn from green to purple!? =)

Not envy my friend. I wish to NEVER be a Steelers fan.

SteelCityKing
01-14-2009, 11:44 AM
Not envy my friend. I wish to NEVER be a Steelers fan.

you wish is granted. good riddance loser. =)

Stover4Prez
01-14-2009, 11:46 AM
you wish is granted. good riddance loser. =)

We'll see on Sunday. And once again, I appreciate the insults. I come to talk football and get berated by another fan. Thank you.

MDSteel15
01-14-2009, 11:47 AM

Even if that happens, there won't be 1 Ratbird fan there to celebrate it! I was standing there when Mickey from 98Rock was whining "I am so ashamed to see all these Steeler fans in Baltimore! There is no reason Ravens fans should not be here!"

SteelCityKing
01-14-2009, 11:48 AM
We'll see on Sunday. And once again, I appreciate the insults. I come to talk football and get berated by another fan. Thank you.

fan? i'm a fan of the Pittsburgh Steelers and the NFL. but i am NOT a fan of trolls. you didn't come in here to talk football. you cam in here to start shit and run your mouth. peace out.

MDSteel15
01-14-2009, 11:49 AM
Does this mean you aren't going to count Baltimore's Gray Cup as a championship ring for us? :hyper:You Steelers guys are tough! :rofl:

LMAO... that's funny!

RoethlisBURGHer
01-14-2009, 11:51 AM
Ask the old Colts about that. I'd say they are far better positioned than you to answer the question of where their history really belongs. And they've spoken pretty clearly. From what I've seen, most Steelers fans are pretty classy and I'm sure are smart enough to take Johnny U's word over yours.

Where the old Baltimore Colts feel thier legacy should be doesn't matter.

What matters is that in that cold winter night when Isray (the SOB) moved the Colts to Indianapolis, he took with him the history, records, and championships won.

The Baltimore Ravens came to be in 1996 as an "expansion" team. The reason I put expansion in quotes is because the Ravens were not set up like other expansion teams. They had a complete team move from Cleveland to Baltimore and they picked in the draft from where Cleveland finished in 1995. The only reason they get tagged an expansion team is because 1996 is the first year of the history of the Baltimore Ravens. They did not get the history of the Browns prior to 1996, nor do they get the history of the Colts from 1953-1983.

If (God forbid) the Steelers were to ever be moved, and the owner was allowed to take the history, colors, and name to the new city...I would not be counting the 5 (hopefully about to be six) Super Bowls, the Hall of Famers as history of whatever expansion team the Steelers would get. The history of the new team would start in the year they hire thier first head coach. Even if the old Steelers preferred thier accomplishments to be with the new Pittsburgh team.

stlrtruck
01-14-2009, 11:58 AM
True, but as many have pointed out, "stats don't lie" And the fact is attendance in Baltimore is higher than Pittsburgh from 1996 to 2005. If you want to find out the "visiting team's" attendance in Baltimore and Pittsburgh, please I would love to see the info. But your claims that the stadium was half empty is just flat wrong.

You are correct that my claims are wrong and I'm sorry that online you couldn't get the gest of my over inflation of the number of fans in the stands to make a point to you - in that it wasn't sold out even at the point past your article of 1996, which would have ben 1999. While I don't have accurate numbers, I do know that up until recently (the last 5-6 years) I do recall seeing more black and gold in baltimore than purple.

Bottom line it's easy to sell out when you've got other team's fans buying your tickets.

SteelCityKing
01-14-2009, 12:04 PM
[QUOTE=stlrtruck;527960]You are correct that my claims are wrong and I'm sorry that online you couldn't get the gest of my over inflation of the number of fans in the stands to make a point to you - in that it wasn't sold out even at the point past your article of 1996, which would have ben 1999. While I don't have accurate numbers, I do know that up until recently (the last 5-6 years) I do recall seeing more black and gold in baltimore than purple.

Bottom line it's easy to sell out when you've got other team's fans buying your tickets.QUOTE]

haha! well said. -- i've been to Ravens games vs. the Steelers. it's 80% Black and Gold down there. and the rest of the fans are dressed as actual birds. kind of weird. but if your team is named after an animal, then i guess you have the right to dress up like Big Bird! haha!

stlrtruck
01-14-2009, 12:04 PM

Johnny U didn't own the colts and as a player he can blow out any sort of sentiment he wants to appeal to the ratbirds fans in baltimore. It doesn't change the fact that the franchise that won the championships is the COLTS which does not reside in baltimore.

And no body gives a rats arse if some band decided to stay in baltimore. Did anyone think they had to because their full time jobs were they? No one cares, with the exception of the ratbirds fans, what some old time football player says about his playing days with the colts and that he did it in baltimore - really, that's interesting because he's right he did do it in baltimore with the COLTS. So let's use basic logic, I wanted to slim it down for our guests this week, you play for a franchise in one city and then well after your playing days are over that franchise moves to another city - now who still won those Super Bowls? The COLTS or the ratbirds? Everyone all together now -- THE COLTS. That's right ladies and gentleman the city where the franchise resides has no stake what-so-ever to the trophies regardless if someone wants to pay tiffany's to recreate one for image sake.

So for all your high hopes about coming here and trying to convince us that you have some rich history, tradition, or wonderful team - take it back to baltimore where someone might, might, agree with you. Because in this forum, that dog don't hunt!

MasterOfPuppets
01-14-2009, 12:06 PM
Even if that happens, there won't be 1 Ratbird fan there to celebrate it! I was standing there when Mickey from 98Rock was whining "I am so ashamed to see all these Steeler fans in Baltimore! There is no reason Ravens fans should not be here!"even tony siragusa bashed the so called raven fans !!!

SteelCityKing
01-14-2009, 12:11 PM
even tony siragusa bashed the so called raven fans !!!

funny you should say that, the ONLY time i appreciated any of the Ravens is when Tony Siragusa was in the Spike Lee film "The 25th Hour." he played Edward Norton's bodygaurd Kostya. great small role for him. i dug it. =)

Hammer67
01-14-2009, 12:11 PM

Simple. Have the Steelers win Sunday.

Until then, shaddap! :coffee:

An interesting sentiment to tell Steeler fans on a Steeler board to shut up. I'm just sayin.....

:coffee:

i82much
01-14-2009, 12:14 PM
I'm sorry, I stand corrected. Two guys on the internet > best quarterback ever. (">" is "greater than").

So glad I finally met the ultimate arbiters of all football history and will stop foolishly letting the Colts speak for themselves. Thanks for setting me straight.

MasterOfPuppets
01-14-2009, 12:15 PM
An interesting sentiment to tell Steeler fans on a Steeler board to shut up. I'm just sayin.....

:coffee:espicially considering ALREADY beating them twice hasn't shut them up....:doh:

MasterOfPuppets
01-14-2009, 12:19 PM
I'm sorry, I stand corrected. Two guys on the internet > best quarterback ever. (">" is "greater than").

So glad I finally met the ultimate arbiters of all football history and will stop foolishly letting the Colts speak for themselves. Thanks for setting me straight.best QB ever? maybe the best of his time....but best ever.....no

Hammer67
01-14-2009, 12:21 PM

So glad I finally met the ultimate arbiters of all football history and will stop foolishly letting the Colts speak for themselves. Thanks for setting me straight.

Alright, already. Unitas is from Pittsburgh...does this end this silly discussion???

RoethlisBURGHer
01-14-2009, 12:37 PM
Listen i82, it doesn't matter where Unitas wants his legacy to be.

He is listed as playing for the Baltimore Colts, so all of his career accomplishments are known as happening in Baltimore, not Indianapolis.

But no matter how much the fans or Unitas wants to be associated with the Baltimore Ravens, it will never happen. He never put on a Ravens uniform, never threw a pass as a Baltimore Raven.

The NFL record books do not list a single thing he did as a Baltimore Raven, but as a Baltimore Colt.

I don't know what's so hard for you Raven fans to understand about that.

stlrtruck
01-14-2009, 12:43 PM
Thanks for setting me straight.

You're welcome. :sofunny:

And now that you can accept it, there will be more lessons for you come Sunday. :thumbsup:

i82much
01-14-2009, 12:45 PM
Listen i82, it doesn't matter where Unitas wants his legacy to be.

He is listed as playing for the Baltimore Colts, so all of his career accomplishments are known as happening in Baltimore, not Indianapolis.

But no matter how much the fans or Unitas wants to be associated with the Baltimore Ravens, it will never happen. He never put on a Ravens uniform, never threw a pass as a Baltimore Raven.

The NFL record books do not list a single thing he did as a Baltimore Raven, but as a Baltimore Colt.

I don't know what's so hard for you Raven fans to understand about that.

No one cares whether you call it Ravens or Colts. It's Baltimore football history.

SteelCityKing
01-14-2009, 12:49 PM
i think you're just bitter because the Ravens don't really have much history. one Super Bowl. i'll give you that...but other than that...nothing. sorry, but your franchise just sucks. =)

fansince'76
01-14-2009, 12:54 PM
best QB ever? maybe the best of his time....but best ever.....no

47 straight games (1956-60) with at least one TD pass in a run-heavy, very passing-unfriendly era (compared to the present era following the Mel Blount Rule - post 1978). The closest anyone has come to that record since was Favre with around 32 or 33 straight games at one point - that gap represents almost a full modern season. I think a very good case can be made for Unitas being the best QB ever.

stlrtruck
01-14-2009, 12:55 PM
No one cares whether you call it Ravens or Colts. It's Baltimore football history.

And here comes the desperation to hold on to the colts :blah: :blah: :blah: it's baltimore football :blah: :blah: :blah: :coffee: I don't know anyone outside the inner harbor that talks specifically about baltimore football. Last time I checked it's either they talk colts or ratbirds.

Go cry on your freakin MB. No one here really cares, nor will they give you the time of day to talk about baltimore football. It's COLTS or ratbirds. The colts moved on to greener pastures and the ratbirds moved in from cleveland. Your town got screwed, cleveland got screwed boo-freakin-hoo it somewhere else.

Regardless, the STEELERS OWN THE ratbirds!

xlchamps
01-14-2009, 01:07 PM
yea my friend chad was tlkin so much smack bout the steelers, saying his ravens is goin to have no problem with the steelers. I dont no y but alot of ppl at my school dont like the steelers, but i just respond to him like this "Chad you just piss because your vikings lost, to the eagles, even after i told you that their is no way that vikings could beat the eagle" the eagles had defens and offense with a great rb and qb. So i was like get off the steelers nuts just because we da best.

RoethlisBURGHer
01-14-2009, 01:10 PM

Ravens history and Colts history cannot intersect. The Colts franchise still exsists and is alive and well in Indianapolis.

This is like Steelers fans trying to claim the Pottsville Maroons because they were once the pro football team in Western Pennsylvania.

The Colts and the Ravens are two seperate NFL franchises. Why can't you Baltimorons get your heads around that?

i82much
01-14-2009, 01:13 PM
This is terrible. Two guys on a message board have declared our football history irrelevant. Whatever shall we do.

Low class dudes. You don't see Ravens fans denying Pittsburgh's history, and no one cares what franchise the records belong to. It's really not your call to say what Baltimore football history constitutes any more than it's my job to say what Pittsburgh football history constitutes.

To the rest of the Steelers fans out there -you have a great history and looking forward to a great game Sunday. Should be one for the ages.

BmoreRavens
01-14-2009, 01:16 PM
Mark this one down , Steelers will lose on sunday and their season will be HISTORY!

xlchamps
01-14-2009, 01:19 PM
Mark this one down , Steelers will lose on sunday and their season will be HISTORY!

Hold up, how can u say that we pretty much have a better overall team. Look at it 2 games decided by 7 points, and both times Big Ben drove us down field in the last 2 minutes of the game and won it for us, and I be damn if he doesn’t do it again.

RoethlisBURGHer
01-14-2009, 01:20 PM
This is terrible. Two guys on a message board have declared our football history irrelevant. Whatever shall we do.

Low class dudes. You don't see Ravens fans denying Pittsburgh's history, and no one cares what franchise the records belong to. It's really not your call to say what Baltimore football history constitutes any more than it's my job to say what Pittsburgh football history constitutes.

To the rest of the Steelers fans out there -you have a great history and looking forward to a great game Sunday. Should be one for the ages.

Baltimore has a deep football history between the Baltimore Colts and the Baltimore Ravens. I have said that multiple times.

However, even though the old Baltimore Colts want thier accompishments to be included with the Ravens, it's not. It cannot be, they played for the Colts franchise.

The history of the Baltimore Ravens begins in 1996. Not included in Ravens history is the Baltimore Colts from 1953-1983 nor the Cleveland Browns from 19-whatever to 1995.

Johnny Unitas never suited up for the Ravens, he suited up for the Colts. The Colts moved to Indianapolis, and his records are recorded as being a Baltimore Colt but they are still COLT records not RAVEN records.

It's not that hard of a concept, or at least I didn't think it was.

The city of Baltimore can forever call on the history of the Baltimore Colts. But the Baltimore Ravens have no history whatsoever before 1996, because they did not exist as a football franchise before 1996.

Is it really that freaking hard for you Baltimore fans to understand?

i82much
01-14-2009, 01:30 PM
Not saying B-more has the records, or the Ravens have the records, or the uniforms or any of that. Just saying we don't care, 'cause of the relationship with the players from both teams and the city. That's all. It was really pretty cool to see the old Colts stick up for the city instead of the team.

RoethlisBURGHer
01-14-2009, 01:32 PM
Not saying B-more has the records, or the Ravens have the records, or the uniforms or any of that. Just saying we don't care, 'cause of the relationship with the players from both teams and the city. That's all. It was really pretty cool to see the old Colts stick up for the city instead of the team.

Okay cool, I get where you're coming from now, and I think you get where I am coming from.

It was cool to see the players stick up for the city, and from everything I have read Isray was an ass from the moment he took ownership of the team. I don't know how anyone could have supported him.

BmoreRavens
01-14-2009, 01:37 PM
:blah: I cant wait for Sunday. All this nonsense will be put to rest . Those two games are the past. Please keep referring back to them they just pump up ravens players and fans even more!

i82much
01-14-2009, 01:38 PM
Okay cool, I get where you're coming from now, and I think you get where I am coming from.

It was cool to see the players stick up for the city, and from everything I have read Isray was an ass from the moment he took ownership of the team. I don't know how anyone could have supported him.

To some people in B-more (myself included) even Elway is a hero for telling Irsay to stick it.

stlrtruck
01-14-2009, 01:39 PM

And the :troll:s continue to crawl out from underneath their rocks.

Another one with a fountain of :blah: :blah: :blah: information and knowledge!

stlrtruck
01-14-2009, 01:41 PM
To some people in B-more (myself included) even Elway is a hero for telling Irsay to stick it.

And there are many who are pissed off at him for doing such a thing. I've talked to many a fans who feel that because Elway made that stance it really destroyed the team in baltimore. They felt he could have been the second coming of Unitas.

I hated the fact that he didn't play in baltimore. I mean hell, really, when does a player have that much control over who drafts him. For Eli to do it years later only shows the great immaturity on both players behalf. Irsay should have drafted him and let him sit the bench while owning the rights to him as a player.

xlchamps
01-14-2009, 01:42 PM
:blah: I cant wait for Sunday. All this nonsense will be put to rest . Those two games are the past. Please keep referring back to them they just pump up ravens players and fans even more!

well buddy u better tell flacco to control the ball better because James Harrison, is know to take down the ravens qb everytime they visit pittsburgh. Plus steelers is way more respectful team then ravens. I just hate when ppl cry bout o Ravens, i feel so bad for those ravens great d but no o, o please shut the hell up and get over the fact that we are the better team, and we will prove it not only by winnin the afc but the superbowl as well.

i82much
01-14-2009, 01:43 PM
And there are many who are pissed off at him for doing such a thing. I've talked to many a fans who feel that because Elway made that stance it really destroyed the team in baltimore. They felt he could have been the second coming of Unitas.

I hated the fact that he didn't play in baltimore. I mean hell, really, when does a player have that much control over who drafts him. For Eli to do it years later only shows the great immaturity on both players behalf. Irsay should have drafted him and let him sit the bench while owning the rights to him as a player.

Sure, that's a reasonable way of looking at it. But who can blame the guy for not wanting to work for Irsay? As it turned out, sad the Colts left but we got a team we love, Cleveland got their team back, and Elway turned out as a great and classy QB. So maybe he was a little profanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofa nityfiltery when he was 22.

BmoreRavens
01-14-2009, 01:44 PM
And the :troll:s continue to crawl out from underneath their rocks.

Another one with a fountain of :blah: :blah: :blah: information and knowledge!

Sorry truck, i just hate how everywhere I hear oh well the last to games factor into this up coming game. You guys should know better then anyone against the colts/bengals in the 2005 season. Playoff football is a whole lot different then season.

SO CHEERS :drink:

to a ravens victory

:chuckle:

stlrtruck
01-14-2009, 01:44 PM

You think the Steelers don't have something to prove themselves? And I'm sure that all the nonsense on this board is going to make it to the ratbirds HQ and in to the locker room because of what some fans from another team is saying. Really? Are you that gullible?

I remember a few years back when the ratbirds destroyed the Steelers early in the season that come game 2 all the ratbird fans were referring to that game and basing their "going to destroy the steelers again" chants on the first game.

So do us all a favor - go :troll: another board!

stlrtruck
01-14-2009, 01:47 PM
Sure, that's a reasonable way of looking at it. But who can blame the guy for not wanting to work for Irsay? As it turned out, sad the Colts left but we got a team we love, Cleveland got their team back, and Elway turned out as a great and classy QB. So maybe he was a little profanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofa nityfiltery when he was 22.

And though no one knows what would have happened in baltimore should he have played there, it baffles the mind how a 22 year old punk could dictate to the NFL where he wants to play.

I'm sure given the choice between getting a regular 9-5 job or playing in the NFL, he'd rather play for a jerk like Irsay, but that's just my opinion.

Let me ask you this, as a baltimore fan - would you rather have had the colts keep elway in the draft and possibly keep the team in baltimore or the way it worked out?

MasterOfPuppets
01-14-2009, 01:51 PM

I hated the fact that he didn't play in baltimore. I mean hell, really, when does a player have that much control over who drafts him. For Eli to do it years later only shows the great immaturity on both players behalf. Irsay should have drafted him and let him sit the bench while owning the rights to him as a player.actually elways other option was to go play baseball.....and if i'm not mistaken, the team only has the players rights for that one year, there's no contract involved, so elway would've only missed one season, then he could sign with anybody.

In the 1983 NFL Draft, Elway was selected as the first overall pick by the Baltimore Colts. Elway had, by then, played two summers of minor league baseball for the New York Yankees organization. Additionally, Elway had publicly stated that he refused to join the Colts organization, feeling the team could not allow him to be successful. If they did not trade him he said he was going to play baseball.

i82much
01-14-2009, 01:51 PM
And though no one knows what would have happened in baltimore should he have played there, it baffles the mind how a 22 year old punk could dictate to the NFL where he wants to play.

I'm sure given the choice between getting a regular 9-5 job or playing in the NFL, he'd rather play for a jerk like Irsay, but that's just my opinion.

Let me ask you this, as a baltimore fan - would you rather have had the colts keep elway in the draft and possibly keep the team in baltimore or the way it worked out?

Hard to say, I guess if you could say for sure Colts stay then yeah. But even then we'd have had that jerk for an owner. I can't imagine having Angelos and Irsay at the same time!

stlrtruck
01-14-2009, 01:52 PM
Sorry truck, i just hate how everywhere I hear oh well the last to games factor into this up coming game. You guys should know better then anyone against the colts/bengals in the 2005 season. Playoff football is a whole lot different then season.

SO CHEERS :drink:

to a ravens victory

:chuckle:

Any knowledable fan knows that the last two games don't factor into the outcome, hell that's why they play the game but for you to come in here thumping your chest that the ratbirds are going to roll in and roll out victoriously is more outlandish. I mean really, what are you basing your decision on? Being a fan? Then what did you think you were going to get on a STEELERS MB? Something like "Oh my the ratbirds are going to kill us, they're so dominating, what are we going to do" threads?

We have every reason to feel good about the ratbirds coming to town and while we can expect the same knock down, drag out, old school football game there is also things out there that give the Steelers a better edge and it begins with, We won the first two games - but there's more. Injuries, home field, QB play in the last games alone, etc.

But I digress, CHEERS to a good game and no injuries :drink:

and a STEELERS TRIP TO TAMPA!!!

tony hipchest
01-14-2009, 01:56 PM
ok ravenfans. quick history quiz...

no cheating.

1) ravens first head coach was __________
2) you can list ravens wr's to have a 1000 yard season on one hand. who were they?
3) ravens only 3000 yard passer was? (maybe there were 2)
4) how many steeler quarterbacks have the ravens employed and who were they?

now some history that REALLY matters-

ravens have lost 7 of their last 8 in pittsburgh.

the '00 defending superbowl champs lost their only playoff game vs the steelers where kordell stewart and fuamatu ma'afala humiliated them.

they were so humiliated elvis grbac quit football all together, and walked away from a multi-million dollar contract.

joe flacco will retire in the same fashion.

the ravens will once again hire kordell stewart to be their quarterback.

TeeJay
01-14-2009, 01:58 PM
I really miss The Houston Oilers....................

SteelMember
01-14-2009, 01:59 PM

You don't frighten us, Purple pig-dogs! Go and boil your bottom, sons of a silly person. I blow my nose at you, so-called ravens fan, you and all your silly crow k-nnnnniggets. Thpppppt! Thppt! Thppt! :flap:

BmoreRavens
01-14-2009, 02:00 PM
You don't frighten us, Purple pig-dogs! Go and boil your bottom, sons of a silly person. I blow my nose at you, so-called ravens fan, you and all your silly crow k-nnnnniggets. Thpppppt! Thppt! Thppt!

:rofl: Gotta respect a good Monty Python moment

i82much
01-14-2009, 02:05 PM
1) ravens first head coach was __________
Ted Marchibroda.
2) you can list ravens wr's to have a 1000 yard season on one hand. who were they?
Yamon Figurs.
3) ravens only 3000 yard passer was? (maybe there were 2)
Bert Jones.
4) how many steeler quarterbacks have the ravens employed and who were they?
Johnny U.

Just kidding ;)

BmoreRavens
01-14-2009, 02:22 PM
Any knowledable fan knows that the last two games don't factor into the outcome, hell that's why they play the game but for you to come in here thumping your chest that the ratbirds are going to roll in and roll out victoriously is more outlandish. I mean really, what are you basing your decision on? Being a fan? Then what did you think you were going to get on a STEELERS MB? Something like "Oh my the ratbirds are going to kill us, they're so dominating, what are we going to do" threads?

We have every reason to feel good about the ratbirds coming to town and while we can expect the same knock down, drag out, old school football game there is also things out there that give the Steelers a better edge and it begins with, We won the first two games - but there's more. Injuries, home field, QB play in the last games alone, etc.

But I digress, CHEERS to a good game and no injuries :drink:

and a STEELERS TRIP TO TAMPA!!!

I apologize to come off as THUMPING MY CHEST. But i feel know one in the media any where , including ESPN are even considering the Ravens as a threat. So I decided to check out a Steelers fan perspective.So i found out that most knowledgeable fans do respect the coming of the division rival. Then "Wanna piss off a Ravens fan?" Got me fired up and i reacted. If you call yourself such knowlable fans why are you so concern on how to piss of a Ravens Fan?

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-14-2009, 02:27 PM
I apologize to come off as THUMPING MY CHEST. But i feel know one in the media any where , including ESPN are even considering the Ravens as a threat. So I decided to check out a Steelers fan perspective.So i found out that most knowledgeable fans do respect the coming of the division rival. Then "Wanna piss off a Ravens fan?" Got me fired up and i reacted. If you call yourself such knowlable fans why are you so concern on how to piss of a Ravens Fan?

Personally I hate the Ravens players...but dont hate their Fans.

Now the Bengals on the other hand...I hate their fans and their players. The team has proved NOTHING..and their fans are too dumb to realize it.

stlrtruck
01-14-2009, 02:41 PM

Dude, I'm in my own forum interacting with family and the flying rat fans that make their way in to my home (if you will). I enter into almost every thread and correspond as I see fit in my own home.

And while the media may not be given any love to the ratbirds, it isn't like the fans and the Steelers players and coaches don't know who is coming knocking come Sunday night. So playing the disrespect card, doesn't work here.

BmoreRavens
01-14-2009, 02:50 PM
Dude, I'm in my own forum interacting with family and the flying rat fans that make their way in to my home (if you will). I enter into almost every thread and correspond as I see fit in my own home.

And while the media may not be given any love to the ratbirds, it isn't like the fans and the Steelers players and coaches don't know who is coming knocking come Sunday night. So playing the disrespect card, doesn't work here.

Ok truck , since I can see you are looked highly upon from your peers. How do you perceive the Ravens Steeler game to plan out? :coffee:

As for the disrespcet card, i can already tell it wont work here since im talking to you in a Wanna piss off a Ravens fan? thread .

Pi Kapp Steeler
01-14-2009, 03:03 PM
Ok truck , since I can see you are looked highly upon from your peers. How do you perceive the Ravens Steeler game to plan out? :coffee:

As for the disrespcet card, i can already tell it wont work here since im talking to you in a Wanna piss off a Ravens fan? thread .

Wow i have only been a member for this site for a month know and I have never seen StlrTruck tolerate someone for this long. haha

Luigi
01-14-2009, 03:06 PM

Just got here... It looks like this thread has wandered way off the OP so I'm not going to read it all. To the OP:

Your friend is a dork for bringing up Unitas as Ravens history, and an even bigger dork for bringing up Jim Brown. The Ravens history is what it is. Baltimore has plenty of NFL history - some great, some not so great.

As for the "bastard child" thing, that horse has been beaten into glue. Who cares? I'm a Ravens fan and can promise you, it doesn't piss me off. It bores me and tells me pretty quickly that they guy who said it would make Jethro Bodine look like Stephen Hawking; especially Championship week after 13 years of having no team at all.

Cleveland is a cesspool that still has a team called the "Browns." Fittingly. And they still suck. Even more fittingly.

stlrtruck
01-14-2009, 03:14 PM

As we have all stated, this is going to be a old school hard nosed smashmouth football game. While I expect both offenses to occassionally move the ball, it will most likely be between the 30's.

The key for the Steelers is ball control and give the defense time to rest. We can't be on the field every 3 and out. I think in order to move the ball it's going to take the short passing routes and allowing the WRs or RBs to get YAC. It will also taking our offensive line to play just as well as they did against the chargers. Defensively, it's got to be everyone playing for everyone else and making sure if they don't sack Flacco that they at least hit him every time he steps back to throw.

The key for the ratbirds is to strike quickly and strike often. It's been stated in another thread that the Steelers safeties are subject to the deep ball. I would add they are aggressive to the run and could bite on play action. Also, keep Flacco upright and untouched. He's played good ball all year long and he seems to be doing the same thing Ben did his rookie year - not losing the game. Defensively, it's stop FWP and keep Ben in the pocket. If Ben is allowed to get outside the pocket he becomes a double threat (as was proven against the chargers).

And for both teams, finish drives and take full advantage of all turnovers!

AND LET ME ADD: I think that if the ratbirds come out and play the first half like they did against Tennesse, it will be a hard long day for them. I still don't understand why both teams were playing conservative in a go home game.

stlrtruck
01-14-2009, 03:15 PM
Wow i have only been a member for this site for a month know and I have never seen StlrTruck tolerate someone for this long. haha

Just giving this guy a chance to prove he's either knowledgable about the game or the :troll: I'm seeing him to be.

But don't worry huntin' season continues for another few days!

Gooch
01-14-2009, 04:19 PM
I would like to piss ON a Ravens fan :P

RoethlisBURGHer
01-14-2009, 04:21 PM
I would like to piss ON a Ravens fan :P

:tt03::rofl:

I have pissed on thier stadium.

welder4pit
01-14-2009, 06:54 PM
[QUOTE=HometownGal;527245]Wanna piss off a Ravens fan?

BEAT THE LIVING SHIT OUT OF THE RATS THIS SUNDAY EVENING! :drink::tt03::thumbsup:

Stover4Prez
01-14-2009, 07:05 PM
Johnny Unitas never suited up for the Ravens, he suited up for the Colts. The Colts moved to Indianapolis, and his records are recorded as being a Baltimore Colt but they are still COLT records not RAVEN records.

Completely agree. I think we have been arguing a bit of the same point here, just not getting through. Baltimore Colt history is still part of Baltimore history, and is honored and cherished by the Ravens organization and the fans, but is NOT part of RAVENS history. It is a sports legacy of Baltimore, not the Ravens. But many fans still embrace the Colts history here, which Baltimore has every right to as the Colts in Indy do.

RoethlisBURGHer
01-14-2009, 07:12 PM
Completely agree. I think we have been arguing a bit of the same point here, just not getting through. Baltimore Colt history is still part of Baltimore history, and is honored and cherished by the Ravens organization and the fans, but is NOT part of RAVENS history. It is a sports legacy of Baltimore, not the Ravens. But many fans still embrace the Colts history here, which Baltimore has every right to as the Colts in Indy do.

Exactly. Some people can't seem to seperate Baltimore city's football history and that of the Ravens.

i82much
01-18-2009, 03:27 PM
http://talk.baltimoresun.com/showthread.php?t=182084

I love the first post in this thread. Sure, not even Lenny Moore can make the Colts records belongs to the Ravens. But if Lenny Moore wants to call the Ravens "we" - that tells you everything you know about the old Colts, the new Ravens, and Baltimore football.

MasterOfPuppets
01-18-2009, 03:32 PM
http://talk.baltimoresun.com/showthread.php?t=182084

I love the first post in this thread. Sure, not even Lenny Moore can make the Colts records belongs to the Ravens. But if Lenny Moore wants to call the Ravens "we" - that tells you everything you know about the old Colts, the new Ravens, and Baltimore football.ask lenny moore who thier biggest rival was.....i bet it wasn't the steelers.... .... then go ask ozzy newsome who thier biggest rival was.....:coffee: