PDA

View Full Version : Pleasantly suprised by a song and artist...

Hammer67
01-13-2009, 02:59 PM
So, my wife is a big country fan....

Let me preface this by the fact that I grew up in the grunge era where Alice in Chains and Pearl Jam reigned. I was and am a huge Zep and classic rock fan. I also love old school country and blues. Cash, Nelson, the Band, etc.

So, my wife, the country fan, has pretty much taken over the car radio, the mp3 player and the music on XM channels on DirecTV. So now I hear a lot of country. I am not a huge fan but respect some of it more. A few people I have grown to really like are Brad Paisly and Keith Urban...two people I would have thought I would have HATED before. What changed my mind? Seeing each live. Both are awesome guitar players...rivaling any of the other bands I have seen. I think Keith Urban had one of the best and rocking sets I have ever seen...and I have seen a ton of classic acts.

Anyway...the last half of Stupid Boy live rocked my world. The studio version has just a taste of the live version...last 1:45 of the song....what a fricking jam, man.....

a_7yzFglc08&feature=related

I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
01-13-2009, 06:24 PM

Let me preface this by the fact that I grew up in the grunge era where Alice in Chains and Pearl Jam reigned. I was and am a huge Zep and classic rock fan. I also love old school country and blues. Cash, Nelson, the Band, etc.

So, my wife, the country fan, has pretty much taken over the car radio, the mp3 player and the music on XM channels on DirecTV. So now I hear a lot of country. I am not a huge fan but respect some of it more. A few people I have grown to really like are Brad Paisly and Keith Urban...two people I would have thought I would have HATED before. What changed my mind? Seeing each live. Both are awesome guitar players...rivaling any of the other bands I have seen. I think Keith Urban had one of the best and rocking sets I have ever seen...and I have seen a ton of classic acts.

Anyway...the last half of Stupid Boy live rocked my world. The studio version has just a taste of the live version...last 1:45 of the song....what a fricking jam, man.....

You mean this one? <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ScG1kKXFzuo&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ScG1kKXFzuo&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Absolutely amazing, what a tone!

LambertIsGod58
01-13-2009, 06:38 PM

Alice in Chains is one of my all time favorites. So many great songs.......Would, Down in a Hole, Angry Chair, Nutshell, Bleed the Freak etc. But old school country is where it's at for me. Old school like 70's and 80's. Growing up I hated it, but I was raised on it. Merle Haggard, Don Williams, Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson and George Strait sit at the top for me. The newer country really isn't country IMO. Alan Jackson is about the newest country singer left.

stillers4me
01-13-2009, 06:44 PM
I've seen Keith Urban in concert and he rocks!

And I hate country music.

KeiselPower99
01-13-2009, 09:49 PM
Alice in Chains is one of my all time favorites. So many great songs.......Would, Down in a Hole, Angry Chair, Nutshell, Bleed the Freak etc. But old school country is where it's at for me. Old school like 70's and 80's. Growing up I hated it, but I was raised on it. Merle Haggard, Don Williams, Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson and George Strait sit at the top for me. The newer country really isn't country IMO. Alan Jackson is about the newest country singer left.

Im a huge Waylon fan. i cant stand that new bs on the country radio. Brad Paisley is an amazing performer and his music has a tongue in cheek humor to it. And AIC is in my top 5 bands of all time. When Layne was found dead i cried. I usually dont but it was a sad day. Their music helped me out alot.

Hammer67
01-14-2009, 07:51 AM
Im a huge Waylon fan. i cant stand that new bs on the country radio. Brad Paisley is an amazing performer and his music has a tongue in cheek humor to it. And AIC is in my top 5 bands of all time. When Layne was found dead i cried. I usually dont but it was a sad day. Their music helped me out alot.

AIC is, sadly, one of the few bands I wish I would have seen live and didn't.

revefsreleets
01-14-2009, 08:09 AM
I have tried and tried and tries and tried...but I can't over that nasily twangy voice thing they do. Stop "doing that" and I'm there, but that shit just annoys the Hell outta me.

Other than that, there are some very accomplished songwriters in the genre, the lyrics are generally pretty tight, the musicianship is top notch, and I have far more respect for most country artists than I do for hip hop and top 40 "artists" who have little talent and usually can't play an instrument or even write their own music and lyrics.

Hammer67
01-14-2009, 08:14 AM
I have tried and tried and tries and tried...but I can't over that nasily twangy voice thing they do. Stop "doing that" and I'm there, but that shit just annoys the Hell outta me.

Other than that, there are some very accomplished songwriters in the genre, the lyrics are generally pretty tight, the musicianship is top notch, and I have far more respect for most country artists than I do for hip hop and top 40 "artists" who have little talent and usually can't play an instrument or even write their own music and lyrics.

I felt the same way about the twangy voice thing but that is actually not as prevelant in the newer stuff anymore...maybe the older singers like Alan Jackson and Garth Brooks...

It surprised me as I heard more of the stuff.

SteelCityKing
01-14-2009, 09:47 AM
Pearl Jam "10" is one of my favorite albums of all time. that album came out before i even knew what half of those lyrics mean while i was singing them. that album opened my eyes to a whole new genre of music. like Prodigy's "The Fat of the Land" did for me and my relationship with electronic music. but for some reason, i can't get behind Nirvana. i was never a fan.

i don't really like country music either. but A LOT of people do and i'm not about to step on any toes. i can get behind it when i'm in the mood to wind down and chill out for a bit, but not go to sleep.

Hammer67
01-14-2009, 10:43 AM
Pearl Jam "10" is one of my favorite albums of all time. that album came out before i even knew what half of those lyrics mean while i was singing them. that album opened my eyes to a whole new genre of music. like Prodigy's "The Fat of the Land" did for me and my relationship with electronic music. but for some reason, i can't get behind Nirvana. i was never a fan.

i don't really like country music either. but A LOT of people do and i'm not about to step on any toes. i can get behind it when i'm in the mood to wind down and chill out for a bit, but not go to sleep.

I have found that as I get older, my musical tastes change. I look at the CD's I bought in high school and think...wow, did I actually enjoy that enough to buy it?

I have mellowed a bit as I have gotten older and appreciate songwriting, melody and accoustic stuff much more then when I was younger and was into music that had that "crunch" factor, as my brother refers to it.

SteelCityKing
01-14-2009, 10:48 AM
I have found that as I get older, my musical tastes change. I look at the CD's I bought in high school and think...wow, did I actually enjoy that enough to buy it?

I have mellowed a bit as I have gotten older and appreciate songwriting, melody and accoustic stuff much more then when I was younger and was into music that had that "crunch" factor, as my brother refers to it.

the music i've bought since i was younger i've grown to love even more. listening to it now reminds me of the exact time and place i was when i bought. i always try to buy a new cd before a road trip and it'll remind me of going there and being in that time and place. like, The Black Keys "Attack and Release" reminds me of Ocean City, Maryland last summer.

i've mellowed out too. i've been getting into a lot more soul, hip hop, rnb, and some trip hop and ambient music. i've been getting into some of those British songbirds like Adele, Duffy, and Nicole Willis. i also LOVE Bloc Party and the Black Keys. my taste in music is so vast and deep...i forget i own half the cds i have and i forget how much i love them.

are you still one of those very few people who still buy cds? because i am. ha!

revefsreleets
01-15-2009, 08:00 AM
Everything from Sarah McLachlan to Slayer, Metallica to Panic at the Disco, New Republic to Interpol, the Cure to the Misfits. I listen to everything but Country and Rap.

As a friend of mine always likes to point out, a good song is a good song, no matter what the genre...

Hammer67
01-15-2009, 09:07 AM
the music i've bought since i was younger i've grown to love even more. listening to it now reminds me of the exact time and place i was when i bought. i always try to buy a new cd before a road trip and it'll remind me of going there and being in that time and place. like, The Black Keys "Attack and Release" reminds me of Ocean City, Maryland last summer.

i've mellowed out too. i've been getting into a lot more soul, hip hop, rnb, and some trip hop and ambient music. i've been getting into some of those British songbirds like Adele, Duffy, and Nicole Willis. i also LOVE Bloc Party and the Black Keys. my taste in music is so vast and deep...i forget i own half the cds i have and i forget how much i love them.

are you still one of those very few people who still buy cds? because i am. ha!

Nah...I used to buy CD's in the early 90's when in HS and college...but I kind of gravitated to home theater and away from music collecting. Now everything I have is digital.

My CD's are actually kind of outdated. My wife and I download songs we like as they come out.

HometownGal
01-15-2009, 09:39 AM
I became a country music fan in 2003 and haven't looked back. I had a blood transfusion while in the hospital back then and upon stepping into my house for the first times in 18 days post-op, I asked my husband to put on country music. He asked me if I had lost my mind, as he was a huge country music fan and pre-op, I couldn't stomach it.

I love Keith Urban, Brad Paisley, John Michael Montgomery, George Strait, AJ, Kenny Chesney, Faith Hill and Martina McBride. With Urban and Paisley, they both play a mean guitar and if you've ever been to their concerts, you'd know what I'm talkin' about. :thumbsup:

I still don't like bluegrass country - too much boo hooing and twang for me, but the new age country stuff is awesome! :banana:

TeeJay
01-19-2009, 11:00 AM

I remember when Metallica announced they were going to record with an Orchestra!! I was like....wtf!!!

Then S & M came out, and it was just the best thing I'd seen/heard in years. (That version of Nothing Else Matters is just sublime, and I can't tire of hearing No Leaf Clover).

But the best thing about it was, they all looked like they were having a thoroughly great time, from Metallica, to the Conductor and the Orchestra..........even when playing One!!

Different rendition of Nothing Else Matters (never heard this one before!!) - It's cool.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbTozgoj9OQ&feature=related
Hard Rock Cellos FTW.......And they do the whole Metallica repertoire!

KeiselPower99
01-19-2009, 01:46 PM
I remember when Metallica announced they were going to record with an Orchestra!! I was like....wtf!!!

Then S & M came out, and it was just the best thing I'd seen/heard in years. (That version of Nothing Else Matters is just sublime, and I can't tire of hearing No Leaf Clover).

But the best thing about it, was they all looked they were having a thoroughly great time, from Metallica, to the Conductor and the Orchestra..........even when playing One!!

That cd is sick. I love the version of Bleeding Me.

TeeJay
01-19-2009, 01:59 PM
That cd is sick. I love the version of Bleeding Me.

:thumbsup: Hell Yeah!!

kittenfantastico76
01-19-2009, 02:21 PM
I do love that song (Stupid Boy) - it comes on my Pandora radio at work all the time (I have a huge mix, some might think I'm borderline personality disorder with my taste).

I was a HUGE, HUGEEEE fan of grunge... before it came about I was busy listening to New Kids (yes I'll admit that) and rap music... once Grunge hit... Pearl Jam etc and the Red Hot Chili Peppers hit HUGE with their Blood Sugar Sex Magic Album I was hooked... and it made me go back in time and rediscover the heavy metal music I thought I didn't like (Metallica's black album helped with this as well)... Add to it my truly discovering ACDC in 1990-91 (we used Back in Black as our HS fight song, and Thunderstruck was used during the basketball season)...

So I'm probably stuck in a time warp... since I still jam out to all the above listed plus tons of hair metal etc and heavy metal, I still love my old school rap music and I will give some bands that are new the time of day (just as long as they aren't Nicklecrap or Hinder - they make me want to vomit)...

I love country as well... and I have for many years... my love of the music sort of came about at the time I started loving the steelers too... I was HUGE into music in high school, I still am but like I said... I am stuck in a time warp...

I have an extremely hard time with what they are calling "rap music" and "rock music" these days... sorry... most of the "rock" stuff... I can't say I agree that it rocks... No one will ever rock quite like AC/DC and all the above mentioned bands!!! (To me anyway).

TeeJay
01-19-2009, 02:59 PM
I was busy listening to New Kids (yes I'll admit that)

It's ok....your secrets safe here!:cya: :wink02:

After finding out Brett Michaels is a huge Steeler fan, coming across 'Open Up and Say Ahhhh by Poison'.......what!!!!!!!!!!!!.......in my LP collection didn't seem that bad! :thumbsup:........(and I'll admit that!)

T.Richardson
01-19-2009, 06:49 PM
Grunge....its pretty much dead now, but the only grunge bands I listened to was Pearl Jam, and Nirvana. Personally I like Psychedelic Rock, The Doors are like my favorite band.

this is a little off topic, but how did you guys get those youtube videos on your posts?

kittenfantastico76
01-19-2009, 08:08 PM
TeeJay - it's ok... I have poison too... I think it's a bit more sad though that I didn't get hooked on hair metal until it was on the way out...

p.s. Grunge will never die T.Richardson :)