PDA

View Full Version : '70s Steelers weigh in on current team

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
01-13-2009, 10:59 PM
http://kdka.com/sports/Former.Steelers.Defense.2.907629.html

Steelers Of The 70s Weigh In On Current Team
PITTSBURGH (KDKA) ―

Are you seeing shades of the 70s with the current Steelers defense?

Some former Steelers are weighing in on whether this team is reminiscent of the Steel Curtain.

"I'm running, running trying to get to the ball too and he pitches it to me, and I just take it from there," says former Steeler Dwayne Woodruff. "And I remember the quarterback coming over and trying to tackle me and I went down but I stopped my fall with one hand and kept going and scored the touchdown. So that's how I recall it that's my story and I'm sticking with it."

When you've lived an NFL glory moment you don't forget it and these are the glory moments for the current Steelers.

Woodruff's No. 49 jersey hangs in his Common Pleas Court judge's chamber these days and this former cornerback says it's too early to judge the greatness of the current Steelers defense compared to the Steel Curtain.

"So to compare them, this group has to not only need to win this Super Bowl but a couple more and then we can compare," Woodruff said.

"We had four Hall of Famers on our defense," says Super Bowl Steeler John Banaszak, "Joe Greene, Jack Lambert, Jack Ham and Mel Blount. I don't know if the current team has four Hall of Famers on it."

"They're doing a great job. I think they have the capabilities to be compared to that 70s group of Steelers defenses but not yet," adds Woodruff.

That said, both Banaszak and Woodruff like the Steelers' chances Sunday.

"If we play up to our capabilities it should be a fairly handled game for us," Woodruff said.

And from his Robert Morris Colonials coaching office, former defensive tackle John Banaszak evaluates a lot of talent these days and sees an abundance in No. 92.

"James Harrison a tremendous pass rusher from the outside," he said.

For a defensive secondary man like Woodruff, it's No. 43 that gets his attention.

"The thing that impresses me most is his closing speed, when he sees something and he attacks it and goes, I mean that is a beautiful sight to see," he said.

And when they kick it off on Sunday, you better believe the judge and the coach will be there.

"I enjoy watching the game. I enjoy picking up different things and watching matchups and things like that," Woodruff said.

"I get emotional. I'm yelling and screaming up there with all the other fans," Banaszak said. "When I retired I became a fan again and it's nice to be a Pittsburgh Steeler fan."

Preacher
01-13-2009, 11:53 PM
Its so great to hear our old guys still talking about "our team" and "we will win".

markymarc
01-14-2009, 06:56 AM
Good stuff and thanks for posting. Once again the theme is if this team doesn't win the big game then what the defense achieved during the season means nothing. Time for this defense to take down the Rats on Sunday.

memphissteelergirl
01-14-2009, 09:06 AM
Its so great to hear our old guys still talking about "our team" and "we will win".

Once a Steeler....always a Steeler :thumbsup::wink02:

DACEB
01-14-2009, 09:37 AM
"I get emotional. I'm yelling and screaming up there with all the other fans," Banaszak said. "When I retired I became a fan again and it's nice to be a Pittsburgh Steeler fan."

It sure is.... it sure is.

Hockdizzle
01-14-2009, 09:39 AM
nice read, thanks for posting

Steel4eva
01-14-2009, 09:40 AM
GO STEELERS!

GodofGridiron
01-14-2009, 09:42 AM
Hmmmmmmm.....im wondering who the honorary Steeler captain will be if we make it to the Super Bowl this year.

I get chills whenever i replay the Championship year DVD with Franco comin out to the field with the Terrible Towel. Perhaps we can bring back Mean Joe this year..........boy that would be spectacular.

Burghfan58
01-14-2009, 09:53 AM
I remember the sign "Banaszak Bunch" hanging in Three Rivers. Nice to see some of these guys have reverted back to being fans. :tt03::tt03::tt03::tt03::tt03:

Dino 6 Rings
01-14-2009, 11:24 AM
I like that the Vets are saying "They still got a lot to prove"

Basically the same thing our guys are saying. They can't be compared to any "great" defense of the past until we hold up that 6th Trophy. Bottom line. All Agree, you aren't great or remembered unless you Win It All.

Polamalu Princess
01-14-2009, 11:52 AM
What a great post - thanks.

Merle Hodge was on DVE this morning getting everyone pumed up for the game. He is certain that this team will go all the way. I love hearing what past Steelers have to say about this 21st century team.

stlrz fan
01-14-2009, 11:57 AM
I wonder how the old Browns players feel about this years Ravens Defense

drizze99
01-14-2009, 12:01 PM
What a great read... Thanks for posting

Hammer67
01-14-2009, 12:02 PM
Hmmmmmmm.....im wondering who the honorary Steeler captain will be if we make it to the Super Bowl this year.

I get chills whenever i replay the Championship year DVD with Franco comin out to the field with the Terrible Towel. Perhaps we can bring back Mean Joe this year..........boy that would be spectacular.

Joe works for the team as a scout or something similar....

I have a great picture of him and Franco at training camp just watching the team from a golf cart...think it was 2006