PDA

View Full Version : McHugh thanks the Steeler Gods.

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
01-13-2009, 11:08 PM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/viewfromthepressbox/

post chargers article

Anything but the unkindest of cuts for McHugh

Posted January 9, 2009 8 :28 PM

Steelers tight end/fullback Sean McHugh almost ended up on the wrong side of history. But what looked like a bad break in early September -- McHugh got cut by the Detroit Lions -- turned out to be the best thing that could have happened to the former Penn State standout.

Detroit, in case you missed one of David Lettermen's recent Top 10 lists, became the first-ever NFL team to author an 0-16 season. The Steelers, as coach Mike Tomlin is fond of saying, are still writing their story. And they may not finish it until the first day of February when Super Bowl XLIII is played.

"I thank God every day things happened the way they did, because I had been there for three years and you start to think that's the way it is everywhere," said McHugh, who signed with the Steelers on Sept. 3 Until you get in an organization like the Steelers and see how it's done the right way you don't realize that this kind of thing's out there."

McHugh is still a little miffed about how things played out in Detroit.

The 6-5, 265-pounder thought he had made the Lions coming out of preseason practice. Two days after the team's final cuts, Detroit released McHugh.

With 53-man rosters set across the league, McHugh figured it would be hard to catch on with another team. What he couldn't have known at the time: Detroit essentially provided him with a lifeboat so he could escape a sinking ship.

McHugh, who joined the Steelers after they traded center Sean Mahan, will suit up for his first-career playoff game Sunday though it is anyone's guess how much he will be used against the Chargers.

McHugh has clearly supplanted Carey Davis as the Steelers' No. 1 fullback. However, Steelers offensive coordinator Bruce Arians doesn't have much use for a fullback beyond short-yardage and goal-line situations.

McHugh's playing time has fluctuated this season and is often dictated by how the game unfolds. Arians, as he showed in the Steelers' recent 31-0 win over the Browns, will try to pound teams with the run once he is comfortable the offense has given the defense enough of a lead that he can go to work on the clock.

No matter how big or how limited of a role McHugh plays Sunday, he knows it sure beats what might have been in Detroit.

"Part of me kind of smiles and says, 'That's what you get,' " McHugh said of the Lions releasing him. "At the same time I really felt bad for those guys because I knew the time sand effort they put in. It doesn't matter really because it's history now and those guys are at home and we're getting ready for the playoffs."M

SunshineMan21
01-14-2009, 12:18 AM
I'm happy he's here--I definitely prefer him as a lead blocker to Carey Davis.

Perfect Steelers role player--a mauling blocker in the run game who doesn't mind only catching the occasional pass.

Edman
01-14-2009, 01:05 AM
Talk about a big break. Getting released from a team who was unknowingly about to go 0-16 to a team one game away the Super Bowl.

I really like McHugh's blocking ability and he should get full time at FB. Go mash some Ratbirds, Sean!

Galax Steeler
01-14-2009, 03:32 AM
I really like this kid and his blocking abilitys I see no reason why he shouldn't be ahead of Davis.

markymarc
01-14-2009, 07:10 AM
Great read on McHugh and thanks for posting. I am very happy that McHugh is on the Steelers. He has done a great job when given a chance. Here's to McHugh seeing the field a lot on Sunday. And finally, memo to McHugh hit #52 every chance you get.

BehindSteelCurtain
01-14-2009, 08:23 AM
i bet he is happy.

KeiselPower99
01-14-2009, 08:37 AM
I was thinking that during the game Sunday how happy he must be to actually be in the playoffs.

MasterOfPuppets
01-14-2009, 10:50 AM
mchugh to detroit -----------> :flap: .....:flipoff:

Dino 6 Rings
01-14-2009, 11:12 AM
McHugh...is he the next Kuhn?

MasterOfPuppets
01-14-2009, 11:39 AM
McHugh...is he the next Kuhn?

hell no !!! , he's already proved he's not in kuhns league.......had he never played....maybe...:popcorn:

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-14-2009, 11:55 AM
I liked McHugh when picked up as at least he was a productive blocker at Penn St and Davis is terrible.

I still think McHugh is too tall for a lead blocker and we need to upgrade Davis with somebody that can actually be an asset to the team. Hello draft......goodbye Davis.

drizze99
01-14-2009, 12:11 PM
Great read... I really like this kid. He can block a lot better than Davis.

lilyoder6
01-14-2009, 12:16 PM
i'm fine with the fact that we use davis and mchugh as the fb's.. mchugh does all the lead blocking inside the tackles and then davis does the lead blocking on runs outside the tackles..