PDA

View Full Version : I'm all for self-mutilation, but...

Hammer67
01-14-2009, 01:52 PM
So I am in Target getting a few things for the Mrs., like baby formula and cereal, etc. I go to the check out line and the guy and girl in front of me looked to be in their 20’s, mid to late. Definitely not high school kids. They had piercing all over their faces and she was wearing dark, Goth-like makeup and he had spiked hair. I’m talking bars in the lips, nose, eyebrow, etc. And that’s just what I could see.

I didn’t say anything but I was definitely curious. What is it that would lead someone to want to self mutilate so much? I mean, is there a reason for it? Is it to be different? To feel better about yourself? Did you lack an identity as a kid growing up? Were your parents that way? It's not as if it's a cultural statement like some African tribes.

I am not being critical, I just don’t understand that. I mean, I am a manager and if someone came in looking for a job looking like that, my immediate reaction would probably be negative…which is probably unfair to the person. But, you have to wonder why they would knowingly choose to draw so much attention to themselves?

Now, I can understand a tattoo here and there, but I would put people who have whole body tattoos in that category, as well...

:noidea:

SteelCityKing
01-14-2009, 01:56 PM
So I am in Target getting a few things for the Mrs., like baby formula and cereal, etc. I go to the check out line and the guy and girl in front of me looked to be in their 20’s, mid to late. Definitely not high school kids. They had piercing all over their faces and she was wearing dark, Goth-like makeup and he had spiked hair. I’m talking bars in the lips, nose, eyebrow, etc. And that’s just what I could see.

I didn’t say anything but I was definitely curious. What is it that would lead someone to want to self mutilate so much? I mean, is there a reason for it? Is it to be different? To feel better about yourself? Did you lack an identity as a kid growing up? Were your parents that way? It's not as if it's a cultural statement like some African tribes.

I am not being critical, I just don’t understand that. I mean, I am a manager and if someone came in looking for a job looking like that, my immediate reaction would probably be negative…which is probably unfair to the person. But, you have to wonder why they would knowingly choose to draw so much attention to themselves?

Now, I can understand a tattoo here and there, but I would put people who have whole body tattoos in that category, as well...

:noidea:

as a tattoo artist and a tattoo covered gentleman, i get that alot. "why would you want to do that to yourself!?" i always say, "i was born with this body and i will die with this body. i only have ONE, why can't i do what i want to do with it?"

some people take it to extremes and some people do it for attention, but some people do it...and they don't have a reason. i am one of those people.

Hammer67
01-14-2009, 02:07 PM
as a tattoo artist and a tattoo covered gentleman, i get that alot. "why would you want to do that to yourself!?" i always say, "i was born with this body and i will die with this body. i only have ONE, why can't i do what i want to do with it?"

some people take it to extremes and some people do it for attention, but some people do it...and they don't have a reason. i am one of those people.

Fair enough...like I said, not passing judgement. More curiosity. For what it's worth, my grandfather regrets getting his tattoos when he was young. Said if he could go back in time that he most likely wouldn't have done it.

I was going to get a celtic band or something back in my early 20's but when I look back, I am glad I didn't. A friend from HS who is also a tattoo artist keeps trying to get me in the chair.

beSteelmyheart
01-14-2009, 07:53 PM
I don't understand it, either-I wonder if they consider the fact that one day, chances are that they will get old, their mindset will change & they will forever be stuck with holes in their faces & tattoos fading & turning blue. I couldn't comprehend wearing anything for the rest of my life. I prefer art that I can take down from the wall when I am sick of looking at it.
When I was a teenager I wanted to get a tattoo on my shoulder & one of my older friends encouraged me to think about it, actually asking me to envision the future when one day I might have to wear a formal gown for a special occasion & that was all it took for me. Not that I've been to any strapless gown balls since that day but I'm still grateful for his advice-it worked.

Preacher
01-14-2009, 08:06 PM
Some do it for identity.

Some do it for expression (which really, is identity)

Some do it as a sign of rebellion

Some do it out of boredom (My third earring was put in mainly because I was at camp and didn't want to lose the earing).

Some do it just because they like how it looks. That was why I put in my first two earings... and also why I got my tattoo (taz, right calf).

Funny thing. While I don't wear earings anymore, I don't regret getting them nor do I regret my tattoo. I think it is because I thought seriously about an earring before I got one (I was 16) and also because I took 4 years to think about my tattoo before I got it.

Leftoverhard
01-14-2009, 08:16 PM
There are so many reasons people modify their bodies. I know for myself, I can't have enough tattoos. I love getting them, having them, everything about it. When I got my first one, my mom told me "that lasts forever you know", so later on I got a tattoo that just says "forever" just for her as a joke.
One suggestion for tattoos - get something cool, that will still mean something to you in 50 years - not just something trendy. There's a difference. Which is why most people should really think on this decision.
As for body modification, it's a fad for most and a way of life for some, just like tattoos.

HometownGal
01-14-2009, 08:31 PM
As Preacher said above - I also believe it is their form of self-expression whatever that may be.

Several years back, one of my roomies in the hospital was a 22 year old girl who was tatooed from her neck down, front and back. When the nurse came in to put an IV in, she freaked out and was wailing like a moose. Took the poor nurse over 1/2 hour to get the damned needle into her arm because she was writhing all over the bed and having a total meltdown. I don't have any tatooes and I won't ever have any for personal reasons, but I know how tatoos are done and couldn't understand how this chick could suffer through hundreds of tatoo needles all over her body but act like such a big puss over ONE IV needle. :doh:

Big D
01-14-2009, 08:36 PM
i've always wanted to get a tattoo of roy orbison on my ass.... Just have never had the courage

RoethlisBURGHer
01-14-2009, 08:47 PM
I am planning on getting a Steelers tattoo on my right arm.

KeiselPower99
01-14-2009, 08:57 PM
I like tattoos but piercings aint for me.

PAMillerGrrl83
01-14-2009, 09:40 PM
As Preacher said above - I also believe it is their form of self-expression whatever that may be.

Several years back, one of my roomies in the hospital was a 22 year old girl who was tatooed from her neck down, front and back. When the nurse came in to put an IV in, she freaked out and was wailing like a moose. Took the poor nurse over 1/2 hour to get the damned needle into her arm because she was writhing all over the bed and having a total meltdown. I don't have any tatooes and I won't ever have any for personal reasons, but I know how tatoos are done and couldn't understand how this chick could suffer through hundreds of tatoo needles all over her body but act like such a big puss over ONE IV needle. :doh:

I know what your talking about. I've been in the hospital many many times *Type I diabetic* and I think its retarded when tattooed/pierced people freak out and what not because they have to get ONE F*N IV put in. When I had my daughter I had 3 IV lines goin. So like I told my hubby, they need to grow a pair.

tony hipchest
01-14-2009, 11:33 PM
my ink has been a tedious 4 year work in progress.

its a lifesize self portrait of myself, so its gonna take a while.

Preacher
01-15-2009, 12:43 AM
my ink has been a tedious 4 year work in progress.

its a lifesize self portrait of myself, so its gonna take a while.

:buttkick:

:laughing:

Godfather
01-15-2009, 10:33 AM
Had an earring once. Never got a tattoo. I don't even know what I would get if I did.

TeeJay
01-19-2009, 04:47 PM
I've got "Welcome to England, have a nice day" tattooed on my knob.

Well,........someone had to say it!! :noidea::wink02:

kittenfantastico76
01-19-2009, 05:59 PM
nah... most kids just do it because they saw the concept at hot topic.... it's as simple as that.

In all seriousness.... I have 6 holes in my ears (I used to work in the mall at Afterthoughts and always was the "tester" for new employees)... I was 15 then, I'm 32 now)... I have 3 tattoos... I always wanted them... I got my first when I was 18, and my last when I was 21... I've thought of others but take my time to decide since most of my art, I really don't like... I was young, and made choices very quickly... and not always the best ones... add the navel and sometimes a thought might like a nose ring and that's about as crazy as I'm getting...

Most kids... do this... to get the reaction they got from you... (some like more than what you did) but the looks are what most enjoy. Then they will retreat to their den of Twilight posters and talk about you ;) (teasing of course).

beSteelmyheart
01-19-2009, 07:15 PM
I'll admit I've been tempted lately-ever since seeing an upper arm band of dolphins on a guy done entirely without black outlines!!!! It was beautiful & correctly proportioned (I see alot of cheesy dolphin art down here where they get the noses all wrong) & he is a local guy with a good rep.
I'm an artist & would be too anal about the work being put on my body & I see some horrible stuff . For example there was a guy ahead of me in line at the store with a big tat of a naked woman on his shoulder & arm & all I could notice was that the artist put the nipples waaay too close together & it looked bizarre to me. Now alot of people would think it's awesome but if someone did something like that to me I'd have to burn his shop down. I've had nightmares of having big horrible tattoos on my thighs & being in the shower trying to scrub them off with a scotchbrite pad & crying & crying, so no, it's best that I stay tattoo free!:laughing:

kittenfantastico76
01-19-2009, 09:11 PM
I'll admit I've been tempted lately-ever since seeing an upper arm band of dolphins on a guy done entirely without black outlines!!!! It was beautiful & correctly proportioned (I see alot of cheesy dolphin art down here where they get the noses all wrong) & he is a local guy with a good rep.
I'm an artist & would be too anal about the work being put on my body & I see some horrible stuff . For example there was a guy ahead of me in line at the store with a big tat of a naked woman on his shoulder & arm & all I could notice was that the artist put the nipples waaay too close together & it looked bizarre to me. Now alot of people would think it's awesome but if someone did something like that to me I'd have to burn his shop down. I've had nightmares of having big horrible tattoos on my thighs & being in the shower trying to scrub them off with a scotchbrite pad & crying & crying, so no, it's best that I stay tattoo free!:laughing:

I am a huge fan of the non-outlined tattoos! I would love to get mine covered... I am an artist as well and wasn't at the time of getting my tattoos done (well I dabbled but I wouldn't have thought of myself as an artist otherwise I would have created my own tattoo concepts not picked off the wall - I totally agree with you on those counts!

revefsreleets
01-20-2009, 09:47 AM
Had an earring once. Never got a tattoo. I don't even know what I would get if I did.

Same here. I noticed that my grandfathers tatoo's that he got in WWII when he was about 18 all look like big blue blobs now, and that was all it took to dissuade me...

But, to each his own...

Dino 6 Rings
01-20-2009, 12:12 PM
I am planning on getting a Steelers tattoo on my right arm.

Me too, pending a victory in 2 weeks.

Dino 6 Rings
01-20-2009, 12:13 PM
My father told me the following about tattoos

"You are not allowed to get one until you have served in the military and have earned it" which I eventually did do, in the Army, yet I never got ink

about earrings or piercings

"You are not allowed to have an earring unless you have a pirate ship, a parrott and a sword. And, you'll have to take it out whenever you visit"

I never did get that pirate ship.

kittenfantastico76
01-20-2009, 01:18 PM
My father told me the following about tattoos

"You are not allowed to get one until you have served in the military and have earned it" which I eventually did do, in the Army, yet I never got ink

about earrings or piercings

"You are not allowed to have an earring unless you have a pirate ship, a parrott and a sword. And, you'll have to take it out whenever you visit"

I never did get that pirate ship.

I would have gotten a ship in a HEARTBEAT!! lol

I was told AFTER I got my first tattoo at the age of 18... my mom freaked out... screamed and told me I wouldn't amount to anything - I'd be barefoot, pregnant and living in a trailer down by the river w/ my 15 kids and boyfriend at the time... It's funnier to me now since the Chris Farley skit... "LIVIN' IN A VAN, DOWN BY THE RIVER!!!!"

Oddly enough - as stated before I don't get people with ink and piercings everywhere that can't handle shots or IVs... SERIOUSLY!?!?? Sure technically you aren't going in as deep w/ a tattoo needle as you are w/ an IV or shot, but still a needle is a needle... I'd much rather get a shot or IV, vs. sitting for extended periods of time to get designed on.

I'm a huge fan of tasteful tattoos but then again I can't really say what the standard of tasteful and not tasteful are - who am I to judge ya know?

AllD
01-20-2009, 03:47 PM
My girl got her lower lip pierced because it complements her tongue stud when she takes care of the kid.