PDA

View Full Version : How to Beat the Steelers "#1" Defense

BmoreRavens
01-14-2009, 02:56 PM
es the Steelers D is excellent. Dinking and dunking down the field just doesn't work. One consistent way it appears to beat the Steeler is to throw deep with posts patterns or deep seam patterns between the cornerbacks and the safeties. Case in point the Justin Gage TD pass in the Titans-Steelers game. It was a great pass by Collins b/c it arrived right before Troy P got there, but you have to make these type of big plays in order to beat their D. Remember in 2006, Clayton toasted Troy P on a post pattern for TD. Yes it was a great throw by McNair, but again, you gotta make those plays. Brady has had some really good success against the Steelers (what team hasnt he had success against), and he would always throw that deep pattern and beat their safeties. (Brady: 2005 Championship game against Pitt with the Deion Branch, and last year regular season game with Moss). Flacco has gotta throw it deep about 5-6 times and hopefully he will hit on 1 or 2 times. I really think this a key to beating them. Last week, he hit 2 against the Titans. Sure one of them was a great adjustment on a jump ball by Clayton, but the receiver always has the advantage b/c they are reacting to the flight of the ball. The DB is chasing the receiver first, and then reacting to the ball. Even if that ball got picked, the Titans would have been down inside the 10. During our 13-9 loss, I do not remember Flacco going deep once, and if he did, it was once or twice. If he goes 0-5 on deep balls, we lose, but 1 or 2, now we gotta a game....

I have noticed how we really miss DWill, b/c we really only have 2 receivers. Not that DWill was a game changer, but he was another option that D has to respect. Marcus Smith is an invisble man out there. Why even cover him? I know everyone is complaining that our offense is pretty damn vanilla recently, but a lot of times, we only have 2 receivers going out on a pass play. 2 receivers are a lot easier to cover then 3 or 4. The Steelers can be beat by spreading them out with 4 receivers, but with one being Copper or Smith, the risk of having less blockers in to protect Flacco outweighs the reward. Losing DWill has really limited this. If we do have the 2 receiver patterns, I would like to install a RB wheel route against a Steeler LB. It worked nicely for the Colts on Rhodes' game winning TD reception to beat the Steelers.

Mobyguzzer
01-14-2009, 03:00 PM
Flacco has to be standing to get the ball deep. I think the secondary can be beat on the deep balls, you make a valid point, but the boys will be coming hard. Can't wait for this one.

Oh and hi everyone......been a Steeler fan for 30 years now. Awesome site!!!

Crushzilla
01-14-2009, 03:01 PM
es the Steelers D is excellent. Dinking and dunking down the field just doesn't work. One consistent way it appears to beat the Steeler is to throw deep with posts patterns or deep seam patterns between the cornerbacks and the safeties. Case in point the Justin Gage TD pass in the Titans-Steelers game. It was a great pass by Collins b/c it arrived right before Troy P got there, but you have to make these type of big plays in order to beat their D. Remember in 2006, Clayton toasted Troy P on a post pattern for TD. Yes it was a great throw by McNair, but again, you gotta make those plays. Brady has had some really good success against the Steelers (what team hasnt he had success against), and he would always throw that deep pattern and beat their safeties. (Brady: 2005 Championship game against Pitt with the Deion Branch, and last year regular season game with Moss). Flacco has gotta throw it deep about 5-6 times and hopefully he will hit on 1 or 2 times. I really think this a key to beating them. Last week, he hit 2 against the Titans. Sure one of them was a great adjustment on a jump ball by Clayton, but the receiver always has the advantage b/c they are reacting to the flight of the ball. The DB is chasing the receiver first, and then reacting to the ball. Even if that ball got picked, the Titans would have been down inside the 10. During our 13-9 loss, I do not remember Flacco going deep once, and if he did, it was once or twice. If he goes 0-5 on deep balls, we lose, but 1 or 2, now we gotta a game....

I have noticed how we really miss DWill, b/c we really only have 2 receivers. Not that DWill was a game changer, but he was another option that D has to respect. Marcus Smith is an invisble man out there. Why even cover him? I know everyone is complaining that our offense is pretty damn vanilla recently, but a lot of times, we only have 2 receivers going out on a pass play. 2 receivers are a lot easier to cover then 3 or 4. The Steelers can be beat by spreading them out with 4 receivers, but with one being Copper or Smith, the risk of having less blockers in to protect Flacco outweighs the reward. Losing DWill has really limited this. If we do have the 2 receiver patterns, I would like to install a RB wheel route against a Steeler LB. It worked nicely for the Colts on Rhodes' game winning TD reception to beat the Steelers.

It's going to be hard for the Baltimore offense.

It's going to be hard for the Steelers offense, as well.

Our DB play has been very good. We have enough talent to cover those multiple DB sets now. Last year's fiasco against NE was in a large part due to Ryan Clark's injury. Anthony Smith was plainly toast against Brady.

I'm not so sure about the wheel route. Timmons can cover very well. I haven't heard anything mentioned on television about his presence last Sunday. He was CHASING DOWN Darren Sproles.

MasterOfPuppets
01-14-2009, 03:04 PM
i hope to hell they do try some spread offense......harrison and woodley will T off on flacco all day long !!! :popcorn: there's a reason why the steelers only gave up a few long balls this year.....QB'S DIDN'T HAVE TIME TO LOOK DEEP !!!!

RoethlisBURGHer
01-14-2009, 03:09 PM
Flacco would have to be unpressured, and that's not going to happen.

The last game, the Ravens did a good job of keeping Harrison off of Flacco with the unbalanced line and the muggings.

Don't think Tomlin and LeBeau have come up with a way to make that ploy ineffective?

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-14-2009, 03:15 PM
Yeah, the way to beat the Steelers is passing the ball.........not running. But I will take my chances with Taylor, Townsend, McFadden, Polamalu and Clark instead of the battered up secondary that Baltimore has.

Offensively, I like the Steelers to pull Stapleton and Miller to the left and run at Ngata-Bannan. Having no Kelly Gregg is a definate weakness.

Danger DANJ
01-14-2009, 03:16 PM
It's true that the Steelers can get beat deep if Flacco has enough time to throw. I mean with enough time a WR will eventually get open. But, the Steelers D won't give you many opportunities to just sit in the pocket. I believe the best way for Baltimore to move the ball is to get the ball to Heap with quick short passes.

Edman
01-14-2009, 03:18 PM
For starters, protect Flacco.

He has any kind of time, Mason is sure to get open.

BmoreRavens
01-14-2009, 03:28 PM
Other then Taylor an Troy , the secondary seem to be sup par. Townsend is just a zone hawk, and Clark is just looking for a big hit. That is definitely the Achilles heal of the Steelers D.

Hammer67
01-14-2009, 03:29 PM
The Steelers secondary is stronger then in years past, even the 05 SB team....especially in Nickle or Dime packages. That's why teams haven't been overly successful spreading out against them. Add to that, the improved pass rush. Every component compliments the other.

You spread it out, you better have a three step drop-release. With that, there is little time to get a deep pass off.

tony hipchest
01-14-2009, 04:00 PM
nice breakdown Bmore. pretty much in line with john maddens breakdown. heres pat kirwans.

(flacco's 1st down passing numbers vs the steelers are off the chart. :chuckle: )

http://www.nfl.com/superbowl/story?id=09000d5d80e17ef3&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

The last two times they played
In examining the AFC title game, the battle of first down may be the most critical component to deciding who moves on. Here's a look at how the two sides did on first down in the first two games.

Breakdown of first down plays
Team Runs on first down Passes on first down
Baltimore 35 rushes for 122 yards (3.5 average) 16 passes for minus-7 yards (-0.4 average)
Pittsburgh 24 runs for 74 yards (3.1 average) 24 passes for 167 yards (7.0 average)

With rookie QB Joe Flacco it's understandable that the Ravens want to be conservative on first down, so the more than 2:1 run-to-pass ratio is no surprise. But the top-ranked Steelers defense will play the run until Baltimore improves its first-down passing. Flacco completed 3 of 14 passes for 13 yards on first downs, but was sacked twice for minus-20 yards, including a fumble that resulted in a touchdown.

The Ravens ran Le'Ron McClain 23 times for 96 yards and a 4.2 per carry average, which was by far the best thing Baltimore did on first down. Expect Steelers defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau to run blitz McClain on first downs. Against Tennessee, Baltimore did throw two deep balls on first down and expect some of the same this week, especially in the first quarter to make Pittsburgh think there's a risk to overplaying the run.

The Steelers were balanced on first down in the two games -- 24 runs and 24 passes -- which makes it tough on the Ravens. It's worth noting that Willie Parker missed the first meeting and only had 14 carries in the second matchup. Last week he had 17 first down runs in the win over San Diego and look for the run ratio to be slightly higher in this game. However, for Pittsburgh to ignore what it accomplished in the first-down passing attack in the two previous games would be a mistake.

Ben Roethlisberger completed 12-of-21 for 159 yards. He added two scrambles for another 15 yards and was sacked once for a loss of 7 yards. The key player in the first-down pass game was Hines Ward with five receptions for 87 yards. Ray Lewis and Co. can't overplay Parker at the risk of play-action on first down to Ward. It will be a tough conflict for Baltimore.

jjpro11
01-14-2009, 04:12 PM
brady has had success deep vs us because he could pick out every single one of our blitzes.. whether he did it through cheating or not, who knows.. but thats how he did it.. flacco doesnt have that ability, at least not yet.

as for the steelers getting beat deep, thats a bit of a myth.. in the regular season the steelers defense only gave up 23 plays of 20+ yards and 2 plays of 40+ yards, both fewest in the league. in 2007 they gave up 20 plays of 20+ yards (3rd) and 4 plays of 40+ yards (2nd).

the vincent jackson play was just a great play.. great throw and catch. sproles play was in garbage time and the ravens dont have anyone that can pull that off.

MasterOfPuppets
01-14-2009, 04:17 PM
Other then Taylor an Troy , the secondary seem to be sup par. Townsend is just a zone hawk, and Clark is just looking for a big hit. That is definitely the Achilles heal of the Steelers D.IS THAT WHY THEY WERE # 1 AGAINST THE PASS??? 156.9 YDS PER GAME

Dr. Steel
01-14-2009, 04:20 PM
Here is a point. What does Tom Brady picking apart the Steelers 4 years ago in the title game have to do with this current defense? Nothing at all. I'm interested in what happened this season and for the most part all season the Steelers pass defense was the best in the NFL. Sure there was some hiccups here and there. The Titans game like you mentioned.

Luigi
01-14-2009, 04:22 PM
Flacco would have to be unpressured, and that's not going to happen.

The last game, the Ravens did a good job of keeping Harrison off of Flacco with the unbalanced line and the muggings.

Don't think Tomlin and LeBeau have come up with a way to make that ploy ineffective?

Both sides will adjust, but the Raens will add however many bodies it takes to handle the pressure. The question is, what's left? We take away some of Flacco's potential targets to provide protection.

That said, Flacco doesn't exactly need to be unpressured to connect downfield. He's calm enough to step out of harms way and make a pass. Done it all year. Ben does that as well as anyone.

Preacher
01-14-2009, 06:02 PM
Both sides will adjust, but the Raens will add however many bodies it takes to handle the pressure. The question is, what's left? We take away some of Flacco's potential targets to provide protection.

That said, Flacco doesn't exactly need to be unpressured to connect downfield. He's calm enough to step out of harms way and make a pass. Done it all year. Ben does that as well as anyone.

Actually, what I saw when I re-watched Tennessee's game against you last night, did not bare that out.

If He can make one move and throw the ball, or if he has already made a decision to throw to a certain receiver and just has to move to get space to throw, he is ok.

BUt once you actually force him to read quickly, he throws bad, errant passes. The key then, is to disguise our coverage and get pressure on him.

Fortunately, those are the two hallmarks of a Dick LeBeau defense.

Gooch
01-14-2009, 06:13 PM
Flacco will have to be dodging Steelers like crazy. Lets count how many times Harrison gets held this week.

Blitzburgh_Fever
01-14-2009, 06:21 PM
Flacco will have to be dodging Steelers like crazy. Lets count how many times Harrison gets held this week.

How many times he actually gets held or how many times it gets called? One will be 0 and one will have double digits.

I thought it was hilarious when Heinz Field erupted after a hold on Harrison went uncalled.

zsheik22
01-14-2009, 06:24 PM
It's easy to walk on water.... all you have to do is put one foot in front of the other.

You can say whatever you want, it comes down to execution. Anything is easy to say, but doing it is the challenge.

You are forgetting if you're running those patterns, you're quarterback is taking big drop backs. Big drop backs = sacks, fumbles, and INT's.

The Duke
01-14-2009, 06:54 PM
And the disrespect for the steelers secondary continues :blah:

Doesn't matter really, flacco won't damage them

The vincent jackson and justin gage TD were awesome plays by them. Props to them, but that hardly makes the secondary the steelers achilles heel, that's 2 plays in one season

And bringing up a play from 2005 and 2006? Really?

lilyoder6
01-14-2009, 07:05 PM
i would say that this sec and the passing def is a lot better than i thought it was going to be at the beginning of the yr...
b-mac is playing out of his mind and gay has progressed nicely from last yr..

and the ravens rly don't have any real receiving threats.. mason is only so good by himself

Edman
01-14-2009, 07:06 PM
Flacco sure looked "calm" against the Steelers Defense this season.

ShutDown24
01-14-2009, 07:19 PM
Other then Taylor an Troy , the secondary seem to be sup par. Townsend is just a zone hawk, and Clark is just looking for a big hit. That is definitely the Achilles heal of the Steelers D.

Townsend doesn't start... And Clark is a very fundamentally sound safety. I think you need to do a little more research before posting your ideas... Or at least watch some tape. I could easily say Ed Reed only looks for interceptions based on his lack of tackling ability, but I know what he adds in that particular system. You need to understand players before making assessments about them like that. Much less trying to predict the outcome of a game.

Polamalu43
01-14-2009, 09:33 PM
HAHAH raven fans crack me up! they actually think that flacco is gonna be in the pocket without pressure all game.. nice

markymarc
01-15-2009, 07:42 AM
Good luck with that offensive game plan.

XxKnightxX
01-15-2009, 10:31 AM
It's going to be hard for the Baltimore offense.

It's going to be hard for the Steelers offense, as well.

Our DB play has been very good. We have enough talent to cover those multiple DB sets now. Last year's fiasco against NE was in a large part due to Ryan Clark's injury. Anthony Smith was plainly toast against Brady.

I'm not so sure about the wheel route. Timmons can cover very well. I haven't heard anything mentioned on television about his presence last Sunday. He was CHASING DOWN Darren Sproles.

I got to see that play in person and MY GOD, TIMMONS IS FAST. Usually you hear all the talk of him being fast and this and that but when I saw it in the flesh and how he chased down Sproles,, I was wowed.

STEEL-MAN
01-15-2009, 11:20 AM
The Ravens will have to go deep, behind 21 points and no running game leaves them no choice!:applaudit:

STEEL-MAN
01-15-2009, 11:29 AM
I seen it on tv, LB covering a RB, I thought is was Harrison, "Thought WOW is that guy fast, why aren't they saying anything about Sproles being covered on this play.". We have some scary good LB, reminds me a lot of another group that placed for the Steelers.

Dino 6 Rings
01-15-2009, 12:13 PM
The only deep balls that are going to come will be off Play Action. The Ravens will run that unbalanced line running attack, that will draw Troy P up in Run support. The way to throw deep is with Play Action, hoping Troy stays low and Flacco has enough time to pass the ball deep and step into the throw.

The Patriots, Bill Bellicheck (excuse the spelling) have used the deep ball against the steelers time and time again and BB is on record as saying that the way to beat the Steelers is to pass on them, running isn't and never is an option.

Now, to do it, you have to have the time, and the receivers, to beat us deep. The Colts had one big pass play on us, off a tipped pass. We always seem to give up that one big pass play, every game, but that's it. One pass play. (while it counts, garbage time is garbage time).

So the Ravens will need to run first to set up the pass, if they come out, and try to pass first, (which would work on 1st down on the 1st drive if its play action) they will be in trouble because the LBs will pin back their ears and they will be in Flacco's face. And he knows what its like to be hit by Our Linebackers, it hurts, and he fumbles.

Steeldude
01-15-2009, 12:41 PM
Dinking and dunking down the field just doesn't work

actually that is the way you beat the steelers' defense.

steelpride12
01-15-2009, 12:47 PM
Its very simple. Flacco has the ability to score and throw deep if he has time to step up in the pocket. Pressure is vital for the Steelers to force the young Flacco out of the pocket and turnovers will occur.
I like our chances with our pretty good secondary with Taylor, Clark and Polumalu back there.
I like our Steelers chances due to the fact of BIg Ben. He has been in this situation before and won't have the same butterflies. Yes Flacco has been sharp in the playoffs kinda and does not show nervousness, but one mistake in our house and he will feel it.

SteelersinCA
01-15-2009, 12:49 PM
actually that is the way you beat the steelers' defense.

That may be the way, but notice, NOBODY can do it!!!!!!!:flap:

Dino 6 Rings
01-15-2009, 12:52 PM
Who's Flacco's back up? Cause we are going to smash his brain in early in this one and he's not going to make it to halftime!

GO STEELERS!

SteelersinCA
01-15-2009, 12:54 PM
Troy Smith......hahahahahaha