PDA

View Full Version : beating the ravens 3 times

steelblitzen
01-14-2009, 08:22 PM
a team has beaten another team 3 times in the past it's not impossible fact is pgh has done it 3 times before. the only reason they say it's hard is hardly ever it happens where a team got swept then meets in the playoffs. http://maximumgrilledsteelers.com/index.php?action=printpage;topic=16781.0
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/blog/?p=458
1982 Miami beat the Jets 3 times
1983 Seattle swept the Raiders in the regular season, lost in the playoffs
1986 Giants beat Washington 3 times
1989 Steelers beat Houston 3 times
1991 KC beat the Raiders 3 times
1992 KC swept SD in the regular season, lost in the playoffs
1993 Raiders beat Denver 3 times
1994 Steelers beat Cleveland 3 times
1994 Vikes swept Chicago in the regular season, lost in the playoffs
1997 GB beat TB 3 times
1997 NE beat Miami 3 times
1999 Tennessee beat Jax 3 times
2000 Giants beat Philly 3 times
2002 Steelers beat Cleveland 3 times
2004 Rams beat Seattle 3 times

Steelerssuperbowlsbound
01-14-2009, 08:25 PM
Very true Steelers got the edge in this game and right after will be Super Bowl Champs again

tony hipchest
01-14-2009, 08:27 PM
exactly.

its just a myth, misconception, or as tomlin would put it.... "hocus-pocus".

its said to be hard to beat a team 3 times because it is hard to actually meet up with a team 3 times in a single season.

the media likes to use that to hype up a game where most people would figure the outcome would be the same as the first 2 meetings.

SteelersMongol
01-14-2009, 08:28 PM
:applaudit: Little relieved. :wink02:

Stover4Prez
01-14-2009, 08:31 PM
The three in a row thing is ridiculous. For either team. You are only as good as the next game. Because you lost the last two meetings or won the last two meetings has no bearing on what will happen Sunday.

Here's to a great football game!

GO RAVENS!

stlrz fan
01-14-2009, 08:46 PM
It really is just fodder for the media. The two regular season meetings are history. Just one game and we are healthy gaining momentum. It's going to be a great Sunday.

billybob
01-14-2009, 09:29 PM
"I personally don't subscribe to that Hocus-pocus to be honest with you," Tomlin said.
It is a myth anyway.When a team has swept a division opponent in the regular season , and played them in the playoffs a third time , 11 out of 18 times , that team won the third.
The last time the Steelers beat a division foe 3 times was when Bill Belicheat was the browns coach. Twice in the "94" season , and in the playoffs.
They also beat the new Browns in 2002 , three times.
The "Old" browns are the "Ravens".
Matter of fact ,when the Steelers have faced a divisional opponent for a third time , they are 7-0 in the playoff game.

markymarc
01-15-2009, 07:32 AM
"I personally don't subscribe to that Hocus-pocus to be honest with you," Tomlin said.

Great quote from Tomlin. Really tired of hearing about this beating a team 3 times in 1 season theory. I am sure the team is tired hearing about it as well.

The_WARDen
01-15-2009, 10:05 AM
but but but...the talking heads say it's hard to beat a team 3 times in the same season. They say it so it must be fact!

:doh::doh:

steelwall
01-15-2009, 10:11 AM
Its a game, what happened before now, will play no bearing into what happens this sunday.

XxKnightxX
01-15-2009, 10:15 AM
Im becoming more like a player and not listening to the media. they are itching for stories so that is all they can feed off. Obviously the colts arent in it to slob on Peytons Knob so now theyre on Joe the Monobrow Flacco. Aside from that, hes a hell of a player, but not his biggest struggles have been against the steelers.

I just like how Tomlin is keeping his team focused overall, he doesnt see it as a easy game or a omg 3rd time were gonna lose game. Both previous matchups went to the wire so it wasnt like it was a confident blowout. I think the Steelers are just as happy to but the Rats to sleep for the year as the Ravens are to get over the hump. I think Mason said it himself, it had to happen since we didnt beat this team in the regular season, so its only right we play them a third time.

TackleMeBen
01-15-2009, 10:24 AM
it doesnt matter how many times you play a team. it depends on how well you excute when you are on the field as to whether you are going to win or not. this beating a team 3 times in a row crap is annoying. if our oline can protect ben like they did, i dont see any problem of us winning for a third time.

lilyoder6
01-15-2009, 10:36 AM
i only see two stories in this game rly.. u have can the steelers beat the ravens 3 times in one season.. and the other is.. the ravens have been playing 17 weeks straight, and the def started 2 deflate last week, will they be able to hold up for another week

XxKnightxX
01-15-2009, 10:39 AM
Yeah but to play devils advocate, If i were a Raven, Id say I need to sell myself out for one more week for the big game and a good 2 weeks off to recharge for the big one.

STEEL-MAN
01-15-2009, 11:47 AM
The three in a row thing is ridiculous. For either team. You are only as good as the next game. Because you lost the last two meetings or won the last two meetings has no bearing on what will happen Sunday.

Here's to a great football game!

GO RAVENS!
sorry about your luck!
You wish it had no bearing on this game

Stover4Prez
01-15-2009, 03:00 PM
sorry about your luck!
You wish it had no bearing on this game

It doesn't. I don't believe in all the stupid stats out there. Big Ben is 9-0 when the wind is from the south and a deer crapped on his lawn the week before after a hawk flew over his house. It is just stupid. One game has NO affect on the next. That is like saying there is NO WAY the roulette wheel is going to land on red 5 times in a row! The next spin has nothing to do with the last.

Go Ravens!

The_WARDen
01-15-2009, 03:11 PM
haven't the Steelers beaten the Clowns like 50 times in a row? I bet it's really tough to win that 51st game though!

:blah::blah::blah:

SteelersinCA
01-15-2009, 04:25 PM
I'll beat the Ravens 4 times in a row if it gives us another Lombardi!!!!

Preacher
01-15-2009, 04:30 PM
Yeah but to play devils advocate, If i were a Raven, Id say I need to sell myself out for one more week for the big game and a good 2 weeks off to recharge for the big one.

That's my fear. The Ravens coming into this game like it IS their superbowl.

rbryan
01-15-2009, 10:17 PM
The tougher task is going to be the Ravens keeping it close for three games in one season.

Steelers 31 Ravens 13

redst3
01-16-2009, 04:09 AM
It doesn't. I don't believe in all the stupid stats out there. Big Ben is 9-0 when the wind is from the south and a deer crapped on his lawn the week before after a hawk flew over his house. It is just stupid. One game has NO affect on the next. That is like saying there is NO WAY the roulette wheel is going to land on red 5 times in a row! The next spin has nothing to do with the last.

Its a simple case of two great defenses going at it. The first two games were very close (actually closer than close) and anything could happen. I believe it will go right down to the end and the winner will be SB Champion.

steelblitzen
01-17-2009, 07:27 PM
Its a simple case of two great defenses going at it. The first two games were very close (actually closer than close) and anything could happen. I believe it will go right down to the end and the winner will be SB Champion.

I don't think it will be as close as some think. my reason is this, when we were banged up and they were healthy we beat them twice now we are healthy and they are banged up. a banged up team plays below its full potential.

xlchamps
01-17-2009, 07:39 PM
Yea i do think we can beat the rats 3 times, we did to clevland and we'll do it to the ravens. Then play eagles for the superbowl.

p.s. Does anybody hav a feeling that this will be a shutout?

CPanther95
01-17-2009, 08:11 PM
Beating a team 3 times in one year is much harder than losing to a team 3 times in one year. But both are more likely than not once the first two games go one way.

Indo
01-17-2009, 08:21 PM
We don't need to beat the Ravens 3 times...

We only need to beat them once

stlrtruck
01-18-2009, 12:27 AM
We don't need to beat the Ravens 3 times...

We only need to beat them once

:iagree: :drink: :thumbsup: :tt03:

Edman
01-18-2009, 12:41 AM
The Steelers don't need to beat the Ravens "a third time".

They only need to beat them once. Hope the Tomlinator has that drilled into the players' heads.

Lukebok5150
01-18-2009, 01:23 AM
Never have bought in to that myth/superstition about beating a team 3 times crap. It's just a ploy so these so called expert analysis has something to debate about. Tomlin doesn't buy in to it and I hope the team doesn't either.

Hines0wnz
01-18-2009, 01:31 AM
Honestly, I'd feel better if Romo was playing as the Ravens' QB.....

devo_17
01-18-2009, 05:50 AM
The regular season doenst matter anymore. Besides they were played so close either team could have won. This is for all the marbles, The Steelers are definitely healthier than the Ravens.

CPanther95
01-18-2009, 08:43 AM
It's ridiculous. Would you rather play a team that beat you once, or a team that you beat twice.

People say it's like a coin toss - it doesn't matter what happened in the first two tries, but that's not correct. A coin toss assumes complete equality. Beating a team both times you met them means that it isn't equal.

randy06
01-18-2009, 08:46 AM
Lets Roll.!!!