PDA

View Full Version : Playoffs

boLT fan
12-24-2005, 04:42 PM
Although i've been following football for a long time, I just realized.. I have no idea how the playoffs work. Could someone explain to me how it works. Like how there's all those first round byes, how the wild card spots fit into it. A visual representation, like a bracket in basketball, would be nice. Thanks. :grin:

The JoKeR
12-24-2005, 08:32 PM
You've got the AFC and the NFC. Each conference has their playoffs and the top team from each conference play each other in the superbowl.

We'll use the AFC as an example as the NFC is the same way.

You have 6 teams that make the playoffs. There are four DIVISIONS in each conference, so the DIVISION WINNERS each get a playoff spot (4 teams). Then you have two WILDCARD spots. The WILDCARD goes to the two teams with the best records, but did not win their division. That gives you the 6 playoff berths. After that is basically goes by your record. Since Indy is 13-2 , they have the best record in the AFC, so therefore they are the top seed. Denver is now 12-3, and they have the second best record, so they are the #2 seed. The #1 and #2 seeded teams get a bye week in the first round of the playoffs. The #3 and #4 team will now play the #6 and #5 team (respectiviley) with the #5 and #6 team being the wildcards. The #3 and #4 teams will be at home. The winner of that game will go on to play the #1 and #2 team. So now we have the #1 & #2 team vs. the winners from the previous week. The two winners of those games will go on to the AFC championship game. So if #1 and #2 both win their playoff game, they'll play each other in the AFCCG. The winner of that goes to the superbowl.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-24-2005, 08:42 PM
I skimmed over that post and its a pretty explanation of it.. nice job !

Basically bolt, nothing will be decided in stone for the wildcards till next sunday.. that all you need to worry about right now :grin:

The divisional winners are usually pretty cut and dry, best record gets the divisional championship...but the wild cards all come to the best records and in the event of multiple teams all tied for that spot they take the head to head competition as the first tiebreaker, then conference wins, then total points, and its usually settled at that point..

There's a big long explanation of how the break downs go as far as tie breakers but it rarely goes past those few listed above.

The JoKeR
12-24-2005, 08:44 PM
http://forums.steelersfever.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=76&stc=1&d=1135478630

As blitzburgh said, try not to think too much about tie breakers after the conference record part. It will just make your brain hurt. This is a quick bracket I drew. It has the Steelers making it to the superbowl of course. I wasn't 100% but I'm fairly sure that the highest seeded team will always play the lowest seeded team. That is why the Steelers switched to the other side of the bracket after they beat the bengals. BTW...according to my bracket, the steelers beat the bengals 42 - 3 .

Koopa
12-24-2005, 10:08 PM
damn that would be f'n awesome if your bracket came true

SteelCityMan786
12-25-2005, 07:18 AM
http://forums.steelersfever.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=76&stc=1&d=1135478630

As blitzburgh said, try not to think too much about tie breakers after the conference record part. It will just make your brain hurt. This is a quick bracket I drew. It has the Steelers making it to the superbowl of course. I wasn't 100% but I'm fairly sure that the highest seeded team will always play the lowest seeded team. That is why the Steelers switched to the other side of the bracket after they beat the bengals. BTW...according to my bracket, the steelers beat the bengals 42 - 3 .

That Bracket Will be a true one. Very good job joker

clevestinks
12-25-2005, 09:44 AM
Bolts Fan No need to wander anymore. The Marty Curse just struck! You`ll have a better team next year. Gates is a beast

Koopa
12-25-2005, 01:48 PM
and the chargers can probably add someone pretty good if they trade rivers, so they will be one of the top five teams in the nfl next year

The JoKeR
01-16-2006, 12:43 AM
Just wanted to bump this up to the top...the prediction is still holding true !!! :bouncy: :busted: :sofunny:

Koopa
01-16-2006, 01:19 AM
nice, one game away from being 100% right on that little bracket.

boLT fan
01-16-2006, 11:01 AM
Whoah, that's awsome. Good prediction JoKer!

The JoKeR
01-22-2006, 10:42 PM
So what is my prize for being 100% accurate on the AFC side of the bracket?! :busted: :bouncy: :blurp: :sofunny: :cool: STEELERS IN DETROIT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Koopa
01-22-2006, 10:48 PM
well your prize from me will be a rep

Brady12
01-22-2006, 11:26 PM
So what is my prize for being 100% accurate on the AFC side of the bracket?! :busted: :bouncy: :blurp: :sofunny: :cool: STEELERS IN DETROIT!!!!!!!!!!!!

You were more like 99.9%... You said you had the Steelers winning 42-3... lol. But wow, That is a terrific prediction. What's the score (Realistically) Gonna be in the Big one?

The JoKeR
01-23-2006, 12:11 PM
For the superbowl...I'm gonna go out on a limb and say 37 - 24 Steelers. Steelers will come out firing in the first half, build up a big lead, then kick a few field goals in the second half! Seahawks will try to mount a comeback, but it will be too late!