PDA

View Full Version : Giants to make Eli Manning NFL's highest paid player?

TackleMeBen
01-15-2009, 10:01 AM
The Giants will have to pay a hefty price to keep last year's Super Bowl MVP. Eli Manning's contract is due to expire after next season, and sometime in the next year - probably the next few months - the Giants will take the first steps toward making him the next member of the $100 million quarterback club. Manning might even end up being the highest-paid member, as several NFL sources said his next deal could be worth a league-high $15 million per season. That would be an average of $1 million more than his brother Peyton is making on the seven-year, $98 million deal he signed with the Indianapolis Colts in 2004. Based on interviews with several agents and personnel people, Eli Manning appears to be in line for a seven- or eight-year contract worth $110 million-$120 million with $40 million in guarantees.

http://msn.foxsports.com/rumors/nfl#1

I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
01-15-2009, 12:30 PM
pshh...chump change!

drizze99
01-15-2009, 12:43 PM
Yea I heard about this a couple days ago...

Eli still sucks in my book and not worth the money IMO.

steelwall
01-15-2009, 12:50 PM
I have to agree he is not worth the money, however the Giants can't let him go so they gotta pay.

But if I were in the Giants head office I'd be looking at putting a major part of that money on a performance bases....

MDSteel15
01-15-2009, 12:55 PM
The Giants will have to pay a hefty price to keep last year's Super Bowl MVP. Eli Manning's contract is due to expire after next season, and sometime in the next year - probably the next few months - the Giants will take the first steps toward making him the next member of the $100 million quarterback club. Manning might even end up being the highest-paid member, as several NFL sources said his next deal could be worth a league-high $15 million per season. That would be an average of $1 million more than his brother Peyton is making on the seven-year, $98 million deal he signed with the Indianapolis Colts in 2004. Based on interviews with several agents and personnel people, Eli Manning appears to be in line for a seven- or eight-year contract worth $110 million-$120 million with $40 million in guarantees.

http://msn.foxsports.com/rumors/nfl#1

For what? Choking? Should have paid him last year..... :rofl:

Edman
01-15-2009, 02:12 PM
Eli can point to that Super Bowl they got for reasons for the payday. The G-Men have no choice. Even if Eli was average for the majority of his career. The Giants have nobody else, and they strangely win with him, so they can't really afford to let him go.

It was the world-class effort by the Giants defense that got them to Super Bowl XLII and won it, not Eli.

BehindSteelCurtain
01-15-2009, 07:11 PM
They just can't let him go so they have no other choice but to pay him the big bucks

BrandonCarr39
01-17-2009, 03:30 AM
If anything-Eli became a much better QB when Shockey went down(and then departed).

Shockey was almost always in Eli's ear to get him the ball, and would just wave his arms, pout on the sidelines, etc when he didn't. Plus for a guy who had so much talent, he was a mediocre-poor route runner.(in '07, about 1/2 of Manning's INTs were b/c of just that)

Too bad Burress had to be an idiot late in the year-otherwise, they would be making it to Tampa w/ ease. Just like with any other team...no deep threat = opposing D's can stack the box = run game becomes non-existent = passing game becomes that much harder.

jasonhightower
01-17-2009, 07:43 AM
If anything-Eli became a much better QB when Shockey went down(and then departed).

Shockey was almost always in Eli's ear to get him the ball, and would just wave his arms, pout on the sidelines, etc when he didn't. Plus for a guy who had so much talent, he was a mediocre-poor route runner.(in '07, about 1/2 of Manning's INTs were b/c of just that)

Too bad Burress had to be an idiot late in the year-otherwise, they would be making it to Tampa w/ ease. Just like with any other team...no deep threat = opposing D's can stack the box = run game becomes non-existent = passing game becomes that much harder.

Yep, horrible receiving corp there.

Galax Steeler
01-17-2009, 07:52 AM
He is not worth that kind of money and yes he did get mvp last year but I don't think his play is worth that much.

RoethlisBURGHer
01-17-2009, 09:00 AM
While I don't think Eli is worth what he's gonna get, they have no choice. That Super Bowl MVP has made it so.

Maybe if Plax comes back he can be the QB they all thought he would be. But if he doesn't and they don't find him another guy with the same skillset Plax has...then that will all be money wasted.

revefsreleets
01-17-2009, 03:39 PM
What other options do the Gnats have? It's NY, so they are EXPECTED to overpay. He's not worth 150, but he'll get it.

BrandonCarr39
01-17-2009, 09:18 PM
What other options do the Gnats have? It's NY, so they are EXPECTED to overpay. He's not worth 150, but he'll get it.

David Carr didn't look bad at all when he played against Minny in wk17, when they already had everything wrapped up and were resting their starters.

Really-as valuable as Burress is to that O, they're still a run first team. Any halfway decent QB would thrive in that system.

BTW-another area where they missed Burress is his upfield blocking-on one of Jacobs' long runs last week against Philly, Hixon(I think) completely whiffed on Sheldon Brown, which allowed him to go upfield to save a TD.