PDA

View Full Version : You guys are EVERYWHERE

Luigi
01-15-2009, 03:45 PM
Not complaining... just an observation. Steelers fans are flat out UNAVOIDABLE. Annoying at times, yes, but kinda cool otherwise. One caveat that I'll get to later.

Seriously, they're everywhere. My next door neighbor is from Pitts originally. Great guy. He likes to stick Steeler stuff in my mailbox to irritate me. It was a can of Iron City a few years ago. I still have that nasty thing in my fridge.

The uncool part... locals who adopt the Steelers just because. They irritate the sh*t outa me. There's Raider foster-fans, and Cowboy foster-fans too, but by far more Steelers.

You guys probably don't have that to deal with since the team has been there for so long. But here, there are weiners who have no connection to Pitts who are wannabe fans. Hate em.

Apparently other cities have this too. Even ones with temas for many years. During a trip to SD to see the Ravens my brother and some friends were catching grief because the locals thought they were locals too. They didn't figure out the car they drove on the tailgate lot was a rental with CA tags. When they realized they had come all the way from Balto they were great, but complained about the local d*ckheads who adopt other city's teams.

That's it - one prop one minor rant.

drucifer
01-15-2009, 03:49 PM
Not living in, being from, or having no connection to Pittsburgh makes me a "wannabe" fan? I respectfully disagree, but may do so disrespectfully should you press the issue. :tt03:

Indo
01-15-2009, 03:51 PM
That's just the way it is...

It's a Steeler NATION

No matter where you have been transplanted, you ALWAYS Bleed Black and Gold...

I can't speak for the wanna-be's.....but I would rather them wanna-be Steeler fans than wanna-be CowGirls (what's with that "America's Team" thing, anyway. The Steelers are the True America's Team)

Statik
01-15-2009, 03:54 PM
Parents are from the Burgh....moved to MD just before I was born, I moved to VA....kept Steelers pride going

Indo
01-15-2009, 03:55 PM
Make no mistake, drucifer, we are glad to have you

NEPAsteeler
01-15-2009, 03:56 PM
I live in Eastern Pennsylvania. There's A LOT of real, die-hard Steeler fans on this side of the state. Of course, there's also a lot of Eagles, Giants, and Jets fans too being that we're only two hours away from Philly and New York.

Fire Haley
01-15-2009, 03:56 PM
True statement.

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc283/usagold/balissteelco.jpg

steelerzfannforever
01-15-2009, 03:57 PM
Sorry, but Im not a wanna be fan! I have lived in Ohio all my life and been a Steelers fan since the age of 6 and I am now 39. I have alway bled black n gold and I always will! Just because Im not from Pittsburgh does not make we a wanna be, so please refrain from that stereotype!

Luigi
01-15-2009, 03:59 PM
Not living in, being from, or having no connection to Pittsburgh makes me a "wannabe" fan? I respectfully disagree, but may do so disrespectfully should you press the issue. :tt03:

Not what I wrote about. I'm talking about those posers who snub the NFL team that plays in the backyard they've been in all their lives in favor of another team, Steelers or otherwise.

It makes even less sense when it's some goober who suffers through the Raiders.

Don't get me wrong, if fans were adopting the Ravens in a similar way I'd eat it up, but the posers around here are hard to respect.

memphissteelergirl
01-15-2009, 04:03 PM
But here, there are weiners who have no connection to Pitts who are wannabe fans. Hate em.

OK....I have enjoyed reading your posts up until you made this rather ignorant statement.

I was born and raised in Memphis, TN, and I became a Steeler fan around age 10. Admittedly it was because I had a crush on Franco Harris. :chuckle: But as I got older and learned more about the game of football itself, I came to appreciate the kind of football the Steelers play-good, smashmouth football.

And I am not alone in this: Check out www.memphissteelersclub.com

This local fan club was started by a Pittsburgh native, and there are a few other West PA natives in the club, but for the most part the members are from the Memphis area who share a passion for Steeler football. And I am not a bandwagon fan; like I said, I have loved the Steelers for most of my life.

I don't think you have to be from a region to love and appreciate a team.

/rant over.

ARKIESTEEL
01-15-2009, 04:04 PM
I have lived in Arkansas my whole life and I am a die hard Steelers fan. You can throw wannabe at me all you want but the folks that know me know the truth. There are a lot of Steelers fans from all over this country that dont have any ties to Pittsburgh.

Luigi
01-15-2009, 04:04 PM
Sorry, but Im not a wanna be fan! I have lived in Ohio all my life and been a Steelers fan since the age of 6 and I am now 39. I have alway bled black n gold and I always will! Just because Im not from Pittsburgh does not make we a wanna be, so please refrain from that stereotype!

I'm no geography major, but OH can be just down the road. Obviously not what I mean. Nothing personal, but if you're a lifelong citizen of Cinn or Cleveland, (God help ya) yea... I'd call that a wannabe.

donny c
01-15-2009, 04:13 PM
I became a STEELERS fan because at an early age I recognized greatness. The 70's BLACK N GOLD were my heroes and being from the St. Lou area we had the Cardiac Cards and now the feeble Rams. I wear my colors proud here and believe me I'm not alone. STEELER NATION is everywhere!!!!

MasterOfPuppets
01-15-2009, 04:20 PM
considering there's only 32 cities with teams , what about people who live in cities that don't have a team? should they just not be fans period? does that make them wannabe's for adopting a team? :noidea:

SteelersinCA
01-15-2009, 04:21 PM
I don't think you have to be a fan of the team in which you grew up, if you are a fan and stay true to your team, you aren't a wannabe.

stlrz fan
01-15-2009, 04:24 PM
Wannabe fan or not I'll drink an arn with you!! Steeler fans are the best fans in the world!!!!

fansince'76
01-15-2009, 04:29 PM
I'm no geography major, but OH can be just down the road. Obviously not what I mean. Nothing personal, but if you're a lifelong citizen of Cinn or Cleveland, (God help ya) yea... I'd call that a wannabe.

Sounds really familiar....

This is from a Squeeler fan who lives in Denver. Talk about a bandwagoner.

:coffee:

stlrtruck
01-15-2009, 04:31 PM
STEELERS NATION

(Because we cover coast to coast)

SteelMember
01-15-2009, 04:32 PM
Guess I'm not getting this.

I don't care if someone was born on another teams 50 yard line.
If you back the black 'n gold, and stick with 'em...that's good enough for me. :tt03:

I'm pretty sure no one got to choose where they were going to be born.

tattooboyzgirl
01-15-2009, 04:36 PM
It's so damn annoying when people ask me, "Why do you like the steelers when you are from San Diego???" Who cares?!?!!?!?!?!?!? :blah:

MasterOfPuppets
01-15-2009, 04:38 PM
Sounds really familiar....

:coffee:
this clown is becoming more of a troll with every post........they come in claiming to wanna talk football, then they show thier true colors with threads like these, which the only point i see is flame baiting........:buttkick:.......:banned:

Preacher
01-15-2009, 04:44 PM
First time I visited Pittsburgh was during the SB year of 2005. But I was a Steelers fan since the 70's.

I grew up in Washington State. SO yeah, I also was a Seahawks fan. But I can guarantee you, any and every time a game the Seachickens played that affected the Steelers playoffs chances... yep, I rooted against them.

SB 05 was tough for me. However, when we won, and the fans started complaining, it sealed the deal. I simply lost all want to root for the seachickens.

Bandwagon fan? Nope. Not when you remain a Steeler fan on the other coast in the 80's when you NEVER saw the team play-- because satellite TV didn't exist at the time.

Dr. Steel
01-15-2009, 05:02 PM
My parents are originally from western, PA. So they were transplants. I really had no choice growing to follow any other team.

T.Richardson
01-15-2009, 05:06 PM
Pittsburgh lost 50% of its population after the 70's, so there aare lot of displaced Steeler fans throughout the U.S.

zsheik22
01-15-2009, 05:16 PM
Pittsburgh lost 50% of its population after the 70's, so there aare lot of displaced Steeler fans throughout the U.S.

Exactly correct. That is infact why the Steelers have so many fans :)

Born and raised about 12 miles outside the Burgh myself though.

HometownGal
01-15-2009, 05:24 PM
That's just the way it is...

It's a Steeler NATION

No matter where you have been transplanted, you ALWAYS Bleed Black and Gold...

I can't speak for the wanna-be's.....but I would rather them wanna-be Steeler fans than wanna-be CowGirls (what's with that "America's Team" thing, anyway. The Steelers are the True America's Team)

It's a Steelers PLANET. :thumbsup::tt:

I go to Puerto Rico every December (missed this past December because of surgery) and it is unbelievable how many natives I saw sporting Steelers gear! :thumbsup: I wear my Steelers swimsuit on the resort's private island and always hear someone yelling "Go Steelers"! Does me proud! :tt03:

P.S. Luigi - I agree with you about the IC beer. Other than Bud, it is the nastiest tasting beer out there. If it peels paint (which I've seen with my own eyes), imagine what it does to the stomach. :yuck:

Indo
01-15-2009, 05:26 PM
Iron City is the ONLY beer you can drink with a Fork!

(I'm displaced and I miss drinking it!)

PisnNapalm
01-15-2009, 05:40 PM
Watch this video and learn my young padewan learner.

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=4328974

Luigi
01-15-2009, 05:41 PM
this clown is becoming more of a troll with every post........they come in claiming to wanna talk football, then they show thier true colors with threads like these, which the only point i see is flame baiting........:buttkick:.......:banned:

This clown? LOL! This from a guy with his hand up some puppets ass.

This thread isn't bait, just conversation. Not all that complicated either. If you lived in Pitts and some jackass from the ole neighborhood just decided for shits and giggles to announce his allegiance to the Ravens... bought all their shit and went to your games, it would irritate the hell out of you too. If that idea is over your head, move on. But something tells me even you can get it since any comment on the board that doesn't include flowers and a reach around is bait to you.

They grow em pretty sensitive out there in Scumberland, huh?

Dino 6 Rings
01-15-2009, 05:51 PM
Holding up the STEELERS Flag in my office in Arkansas Right Now, Waiving it for all to see, singing loudly...Here We Go Steelers Here We Go!

LOVE IT!

YEAH WE OWN THE EARTH!

MONTANA GRIZ
01-15-2009, 05:57 PM
From Missoula, Montana and have been a Steeler fan my whole life, and that will never change! My Uncle is a huge Steeler fan so Im guessing that's why Im a fan. Never been to Pittsburgh, but am dying to make it to a game and take in the whole experience. I can't wait for Sunday to watch the game with my buddy who is a big Seahawks fan, so glad I didn't go that route...

Go Steelers! Go Griz!

XxKnightxX
01-15-2009, 06:00 PM
I live in Jersey, and Lived in Colombia in My childhood, so Football was more of HUH? type of thing. When I first came over here, I didnt know much about football until I got to see that Wild card miracle comeback against the browns.

I became a true fan when my High School coach Tom Elsasser, who coached and mentored none other than Craig "Ironhead" Heyward from Pittsburgh, returned after 27 years to my School. He never admitted it but he coached our team just like steelers. No one above the team, tough as hell, no nonsense, and a guy committed to the power run and a stout defense.

He never told me or wanted to admit that he was a Steelers fan, but in our SBXL run me and him kept looking at each other after a win and I said, did you see the game, and he was like yeah with a smile but quickly got back to business.He was a PA guy, went to Norwich and coached at Mansfield.

HometownGal
01-15-2009, 06:03 PM

Sorry, MOP, but I don't see this guy as a :troll: and I see nothing wrong with this thread. If he IS a :troll:, he'll out himself at some point, but my gut tells me nein, no, nada.

westcoastransplant
01-15-2009, 06:03 PM
I grew up south of Boston and pretty close to Foxboro. I liked the Pats, but my Dad's from Braddock and my whole family from that side still lives in that area. My first jersey was Bradshaw, not Crogan. And I have been to Pittsburgh numerous times and have seen games at Heinz and 3 Rivers.

Indo
01-15-2009, 06:08 PM

Unbelievable...I got all choked up watching it

MACH1
01-15-2009, 06:15 PM
considering there's only 32 cities with teams , what about people who live in cities that don't have a team? should they just not be fans period? does that make them wannabe's for adopting a team? :noidea:

Um ya...What about Idaho? Should I be a fan of the donkos, suckhawks, cards, or who? :noidea:
Been a Steelers fan since I can remember watching football. Does that make me a wanna be fan?

CPanther95
01-15-2009, 06:35 PM

... and we're an extremely fertile bunch.

XxKnightxX
01-15-2009, 06:38 PM
Unbelievable...I got all choked up watching it

Same over here man, I feel more proud every day of my life rooting for this team :tt03::tt03::tt03::tt03::tt03::tt03::tt03::tt03::t t03:

CaliStillersFan
01-15-2009, 07:04 PM

I agree when the steel industry tanked a lot of families had to leave the burgh. I tried to move back a few years ago, but unless you are in the medical industry or banking, it's tough to find good paying work. I live in a small coastal country town in Northern California now and when we were in the Super Bowl in 05 there were at least 50 of us partying in a bar wearing the Black n Gold. Come to find out that day the owner of bar was from Moon Twp. We're everywhere!!!!!

:tt::tt03::tt:

CPanther95
01-15-2009, 07:12 PM
A huge chunk of the banking transferred down here to Charlotte.

Pi Kapp Steeler
01-15-2009, 07:16 PM
I was born in NYC and lived in NJ my whole life. One side of my mothers side of the family are all Giants fan and my father side are all Jets fan. When I was 5yr old my parents split up. I felt like picking one of the NY teams would disrespect the opposing family. So i picked a whole different team without any knowledge of football at the time. I grew to love them and have been representing them since I was 5yrs of age. So Luigi does that make me a wanna be???:noidea:

:tt03:

Burghfan58
01-15-2009, 07:21 PM
I've been doing my best to represent the Black n Gold in Eagle country for the last 35 years. There are alot of Steeler fans here even though I'm 60 miles from Philly. The local stations even try to push the Stinkin Ravens on this area being we are only 2 hours from Baltimore. For every 20 Eagle fans I can find 19 Steeler fans and maybe 1 Ravens fan. Goin to the grave a proud Steeler fan.

Preacher
01-15-2009, 07:32 PM
I never grew up in Pittsburgh...

Yet, I identify with the city, the struggles, and the team more than any other place.

The first time I went there, it just felt like home. That is probably what has attracted me to the team all these years.

You may not be from Pittsburgh. But when you have a certain mentality of busting your butt to get something done, working through the hard times and the soft, and never losing who you are as a person... WITHOUT WHINING (which is what separates us from the the Browns and Philly fans), there is only one team and thus, one city you can root for.

PITTSBURGH STEELERS

Stang909
01-15-2009, 07:48 PM

that was a great vid. thanks for sharing. :tt03:

steelpride12
01-15-2009, 08:06 PM
At least one Steeler bar in every city in the U.S. My sister used to live in D.C. where their are around 3 big bars. Now she lives in Phoenix and there are 2 in this city, im from The Burgh so of course there are many here, but we travel the best and U.S.A is Steeler country.

MaidenIndiana
01-15-2009, 08:23 PM
Everbody here wonders why I don't root for the Colts because they are the home team. Sorry they moved here in 84 ( and Baltimore can have them back as far as I'm concerned) and I've rooted for the Steelers since 75. The Steelers ARE my team. If that makes me a wanna be tough s**t

SteelersMongol
01-15-2009, 08:50 PM
What the ...? So, the guys like me who has no connection to Pittsburgh, or to the State of Pennsylvania, or for some may be even to the USA, we are the bandwagoners to you, huh? Mr. or Mrs.Luigi, do what like & say what you think. But you got one right. The STEELERS FANS are everywhere. AROUND the GLOBE!

Loved the video. :thumbsup: Especially that Bishop story is so cool.

LVSteelersfan
01-15-2009, 08:55 PM
Born and raised in Montana as well and I have lived and died with the Steelers since about 1970 BEFORE they ever won anything. I loved the smash mouth mentality of the team and the town. Someone who has been a diehard fan for over 30 years IS NOT a wannabe. You know what irritates ME? People who label other people as wannabes and bandwagon fans who have no clue what the heck they are talking about. Take your wannabe talk and shove it where the sun don't shine. Steelers are going to STOMP some Raven BUTT this weekend. BTW, if I lived in Dallas, Cleveland, Boston, and especially Baltimore, I would STILL ROOT FOR THE STEELERS FOREVER. Get over yourself.

BlackAndGold4Ever
01-15-2009, 08:59 PM
Not what I wrote about. I'm talking about those posers who snub the NFL team that plays in the backyard they've been in all their lives in favor of another team, Steelers or otherwise.

Don't get me wrong, if fans were adopting the Ravens in a similar way I'd eat it up, but the posers around here are hard to respect.

I live 10 minutes from Giants stadium where two NFL teams play and I have bled black and gold since I could walk. True my great aunt who lives outside the burgh had alot to do with it (Steelers gear) but I AM NOT A WANNA BE STEELER FAN, and neither are the 350-400 Steeler fans that take over Texas Arizona every sunday. Check out my link for the website below and you tell me Steeler fans in Giants country are wanna bes:tt03:

jjpro11
01-15-2009, 09:16 PM
i havent read through this whole thread, but i will say that the steelers built their enormous fan base in the 70s.. that team will remain immortal to steelers fans even 100 years from now because that 70s team started it all.

obviously the people from PA and people that have since moved from PA were fans.. but people from around the country that were new to football, since the nfl itself was pretty new, adopted either the steelers or cowboys as their team.. people from cities without a football team did the same thing. the cowboys and steelers have the 2 largest fan bases in the nfl and were the 2 most successful and popular teams of the decade.. the raiders are similar, as that raider logo is everywhere. but the number of steelers fans has grown since the fans of that time period have had kids who also became steeelers fans... and it just keeps growing and growing.

now as the nfl tries to globalize itself, i get the feeling that the steelers are one of, if not the most popular team outside of america. i've seen quite a few members on here from other countries and have heard stories of fans traveling from around the globe to see the steelers.

pretty remarkable if you ask me and im a glad i am a part of it. my parents were born and raised in western pa, and i dont have a relative that isnt a steelers fan.

steelerzfannforever
01-15-2009, 09:59 PM

Well if wanna be is having 2 Steelers tattoos and over $10,000 worth of memorabilia then I guess im a wanna be as you put it. Trust me, you have no clue as to what you are talking about! I think the only wanna be is you!

MDSteel15
01-16-2009, 01:12 AM

What you mean are the bandwagon fans that like a team when they are winning just to say that is their team.... :thumbsup:

Steelers & I
01-16-2009, 03:19 AM
I'm geographically situated with Cleveland to my north, Cincinnati to my south, Indianapolis to my west, and Pittsburgh to my east. All the aforementioned cites are essentially, equal distances from my home.

I jumped the Steelers bandwagon in 1975. I was a kid at the time and I did as most kids do which is following a winner. Bandwagon fan?? I don't think so. I proudly wore my Steelers gear throughout the 1980's, a time in which Steelers football wasn't so great. :tt02::tt03::tt:

Preacher
01-16-2009, 03:21 AM
I'm geographically situated with Cleveland to my north, Cincinnati to my south, Indianapolis to my west, and Pittsburgh to my east. All the aforementioned cites are essentially, equal distances from my home.

I jumped the Steelers bandwagon in 1975. I was a kid at the time and I did as most kids do which is following a winner. Bandwagon fan?? I don't think so. I proudly wore my Steelers gear throughout the 1980's, a time in which Steelers football wasn't so great. :tt02::tt03::tt:

Yep...anyone who remained a fan through the 80's cannot be a bandwagon fan! :chuckle:

CaliStillersFan
01-16-2009, 03:35 AM
Let's not mention the 80's, those were the dark times ;).

JackHammer
01-16-2009, 03:38 AM
We're in every city for a reason. (http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=1527321414) :tt02: :tt03: :tt:

sascha2674
01-16-2009, 04:34 AM
There is a Steelers Flag waving in front of my House and Terrible Towels in my windows and i am german living in germany. Become a Steelers Fan without connection or visit to the burgh, that came later after i became a fan. And i am a fan because the Steelers are the best Sports team with the classiest Ownership in the world.
During Playoffs i put more stuff outside so people can see my Steelers pride. A lot are asking what the hell are the Steelers. But i donīt care if they know, i know from the bottom of my heart and donīt mind people calling me crazy for being a fan of the Pittsburgh Steelers. :tt: :tt:

Galax Steeler
01-16-2009, 04:40 AM
I was born and raised in Galax Virginia and I have been pulling for the Steelers since the 70's so I have seen the ups and down of this team and I will pull for them till the day I die.

JackHammer
01-16-2009, 04:54 AM
There is a Steelers Flag waving in front of my House and Terrible Towels in my windows and i am german living in germany. Become a Steelers Fan without connection or visit to the burgh, that came later after i became a fan. And i am a fan because the Steelers are the best Sports team with the classiest Ownership in the world.
During Playoffs i put more stuff outside so people can see my Steelers pride. A lot are asking what the hell are the Steelers. But i donīt care if they know, i know from the bottom of my heart and donīt mind people calling me crazy for being a fan of the Pittsburgh Steelers. :tt: :tt:

Cheers :drink:

I was born and raised in Galax Virginia and I have been pulling for the Steelers since the 70's so I have seen the ups and down of this team and I will pull for them till the day I die.

We all know it doesn't end there :tt02:

Galax Steeler
01-16-2009, 05:00 AM
We all know it doesn't end there :tt02:

Hell yea :drink:

Blitzberg06
01-16-2009, 05:15 AM

A fan isn't measured by where he or she is from, A fan is measured by how true they are to there team.

I'm from Cincinnati and no sir I am not a wannabe.

I have been rooting for the Steelers since I can remember. My father got me into it. Oh and he has no ties to Pittsburgh either, He started rooting for the Steelers in 1967, You want to call that a wannabe? 42 years of cheering for the Black and Gold every sunday.

That ladies in gentlemen is no wannabe, That's dedication.

Now I have been rooting for 15 years.

You don't have to root for your home team, They have great stations like ESPN, FSN.

And ESPN radio etc etc just so fans can keep up with there favorite teams.

So to sum it all up, You do not have to have ties to Pittsburgh, You don't even need to step foot into Pittsburgh..all you have to do is stick with Pittsburgh and stay with Pittsburgh, Wave your Terrible Towel every sunday or if you don't have one cheer until you can't anymore. I know I do, Every sunday I am waving that towel in my living room.

markymarc
01-16-2009, 07:34 AM
A fan isn't measured by where he or she is from, A fan is measured by how true they are to there team.

Bingo! And it's ridiculous for anyone to think you have to be from Pittsburgh to be a fan. That's actually absurd. But for sure come Sunday the Steeler Nation will be rocking Heinz Field.

meelanova
01-16-2009, 07:41 AM
^^ I agree. I've never stepped in Pittsburgh or even came close. But I've been with the Steelers since 1992 and lived in NJ all my life.

SCSTILLER
01-16-2009, 08:01 AM

OK Luigi, I am going to jump on something that I don't think has been touched yet. I live down here in Charleston, SC, transplanted from Pittsburgh. There is a huge fan following down here for the Pittsburgh Steelers. Alot of my friends and fellow fans have had kids, and now their kids are rooting for or will be rooting for the Steelers because you are kind of born into it. These kids are watching every game with their kiddie Terrible Towels and kiddie jersey's. They are growing up to be the future of the Steeler nation/world.

But using your theory, these kids should be liking the Panthers or the Falcons or the Jaguars as they are only a four hour drive away and Pitt. is an 11 hour drive away. Sorry Luigi, you statement/comment holds absolutely no water!

ARKIESTEEL
01-16-2009, 08:41 AM
Holding up the STEELERS Flag in my office in Arkansas Right Now, Waiving it for all to see, singing loudly...Here We Go Steelers Here We Go!

LOVE IT!

YEAH WE OWN THE EARTH!

where are you in Arkansas?

WindyCitySteelerFan
01-16-2009, 09:27 AM
We had over 1000 yelling Steeler fans here in our home bar in Chicago (Joe's on Weed) last Sunday, and this Sunday will more than likely have a line out the door....

lilyoder6
01-16-2009, 09:33 AM
the steeler fans are like mcdonald's.. there on evry corner lol

stlrtruck
01-16-2009, 09:52 AM
and now their kids are rooting for or will be rooting for the Steelers because you are kind of born into it.

It's not an option, it's the answer. My daughter, born in FL is already bleeding black and gold.

We are everywhere because it is a lifestyle. One fan's of 31 other teams will never know or understand.

memphissteelergirl
01-16-2009, 10:18 AM
We had over 1000 yelling Steeler fans here in our home bar in Chicago (Joe's on Weed) last Sunday, and this Sunday will more than likely have a line out the door....

WCSF,

Maybe those of us who are coming up there for the game next season can hook up with you guys. :thumbsup:

WindyCitySteelerFan
01-16-2009, 12:11 PM
WCSF,

Maybe those of us who are coming up there for the game next season can hook up with you guys. :thumbsup:

That you can bet on my friend!! Can't WAIT to have a game here!!! :tt02:

Hines4ever
01-16-2009, 12:51 PM
Just my :twocents:

I am very proud to be a part of STEELER NATION as it is a major part of the team's overall identity and is a huge part of what puts us above the rest!

I do believe, however, that being a fan that lives or lived there is different.....not better, just different.

For me, I grew up and lived in Altoona (about 2 hours from Pgh) for 30 some years. (Altoona is predominately a Steeler fan population).... living now in south central PA......(7 miles from MD line and an area with ALOT of raven's fan)......being a Steeler fan now also represents "home" for me.....and I think that's a powerful thing!:tt:
Again, just my opinion.

Steely McSmash
01-16-2009, 12:55 PM
I personally relish giving the Iron City to unexpected people in the summer time and telling them that, "You're gonna wanna drink that before it warms up or you're really gonna taste it"

Living in Boston now there are a mix of good and bad fans who were raised locally. Not surprising I guess. The good ones identify with the Steelers for style of play and consistency or the organization I think.

MJ5150
01-16-2009, 01:17 PM
Apparently other cities have this too. Even ones with temas for many years. During a trip to SD to see the Ravens my brother and some friends were catching grief because the locals thought they were locals too. They didn't figure out the car they drove on the tailgate lot was a rental with CA tags. When they realized they had come all the way from Balto they were great, but complained about the local d*ckheads who adopt other city's teams.

Because we travel so well, we are not mistaken for local front runners when we show up at opposing stadiums. Everyone knows its a traveling Steeler Nation member.

-Mike

MJ5150
01-16-2009, 01:18 PM
For me, I grew up and lived in Altoona....

Hey, so did I. Right on Park Avenue in front of Lakemont Park. They tore down the house I grew up in last summer to make room for the new freeway. I cried.

-Mike

STEEL-MAN
01-16-2009, 01:19 PM
I'm from Somerset! Moved to Md near Balt 25 years ago, my son and daughter love the Steelers. My son 11 wears his #7 jersey to school on Ravens day, he has no fear! He has a bunch Steelers books and is always reading about them. He is a bigger fan than I was at his age. My daughter is right there as well, she wears her favorite pink and white Steelers dress to school on Ravens day. They have never been to a game in Pitt. or ever been Pitt. city. Their not transplants, they are the new generation of Steelers fan which are springing up all over the world, extremely informed and proud.:thumbsup:

TeeJay
01-16-2009, 01:31 PM
The Steelers became 'my team' in 1985, as American Football really began to take off overhere.

So, yep, I guess I'm a wannabe, cause despite not having a clue who the heck The Steelers were back then, and knowing nothing of the history, I just wanted to support an NFL Team...and they just kinda picked me..............................I'm just so thankful it was The Pittsburgh Steelers...........and still is..........and will be forever! :helmet:

20 years of waiting and hoping; (some close calls, some really close calls, and a few seasons you'd just rather forget), were finally forgotten on that night in Detroit. :drink:

So come Sunday, I'll be wearing The Black and Gold and twirling my TT as usual :tt03:....... just I have to do it a few thousand miles away. But thanks to The Steelers, the PSRN and sites such as this, I can consider myself a member of The Steeler Nation........and damn it feels good..

Slowly but surely, Steeler Nation is taking over the Planet. :thumbsup: :tt: :helmet:
Cause once you're a Steeler, nobody else comes close!

Frankie3521
01-16-2009, 01:35 PM
I'm from Kentucky where we don't really have any team to root for. The closest is probably Cincinnati, and thats still hours and hours away. My uncle and dad are pretty die hard Steelers fans, although my moms side of the family is all Bengals fans. I chose to be a Steelers fan from an early age and have been watching them every game for about 6 years now. I'm 17...haha.

stlrtruck
01-16-2009, 01:37 PM
I'm from Somerset! Moved to Md near Balt 25 years ago, my son and daughter love the Steelers. My son 11 wears his #7 jersey to school on Ravens day, he has no fear! He has a bunch Steelers books and is always reading about them. He is a bigger fan than I was at his age. My daughter is right there as well, she wears her favorite pink and white Steelers dress to school on Ravens day. They have never been to a game in Pitt. or ever been Pitt. city. Their not transplants, they are the new generation of Steelers fan which are springing up all over the world, extremely informed and proud.:thumbsup:

And extremely dangerous to opposing fans.

Hines4ever
01-16-2009, 02:22 PM
Hey, so did I. Right on Park Avenue in front of Lakemont Park. They tore down the house I grew up in last summer to make room for the new freeway. I cried.

-Mike

Wow.....another "Tuna Person" :chuckle:
I lived in the 5th Ave; 25th street, Union Ave area....really close to where the first Sheetz was. Do you mind if I ask what High School you went to?
Never thought i'd miss Altoona.....but i do.

:drink: to you....a fellow Altoona native and steeler fan of course!!!!!

Go Steelers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oldschool
01-16-2009, 02:40 PM
I really liked this thread until people started trashing Iron City beer!!! I grew up on the stuff, it's like Scotch, it's an acquired tast.

Iceberg
01-16-2009, 02:54 PM
I am a long time Steelers Fan. Grew up in the Burgh, now I live in Smyrna, DE. Unfortunately a lot of Ravens fans and more so now that they have Flacco- Univ of DE. I also have to deal with Eagles Fans and Redskins. Anyone hear of any new version of Here We Go Steelers 2009

Acerero'1972
01-16-2009, 02:57 PM

Agree, Im from Mexico City, Ive been a Steeler's fan since the age of 10, Im 36 now,
and I can tell u that mexico city is the second steelcity after Pittsburgh, and not just at this time of year, you see shirts, jackets, caps of this team for all the streets of this city. :tt:

Steelers 21 Baltimore 17

kittenfantastico76
01-16-2009, 03:07 PM

Agreed. I'm a Maryland girl born and raised, the only tie I have to PA and Pittsburgh is that my mother and father originally were both from PA. My only family members that are Steelers fans are my cousins and my Aunt and Uncle, I didn't discover this until well after I had started to get into Steeler football in H.S.

Most of my friends will give me crap that since I've lived in Maryland my entire life I should have been completely stoked about having the Ravens come to town. Sure, I was excited, Baltimore had a team again - but I was already a die hard Steelers fan and I am not leaving my post... I now live in Alabama, I have inspired my boyfriend to be a Steelers fan, as you know there's no pro-team in AL, it's all about college here so I'm happy to FINALLY be dating someone that enjoys pro-football and STEELERS football as much as I do.

I'm happy we're every where that's for sure!!! Gives me some back up when I have to deal with angry, crying Raven fans ;)

stlrtruck
01-16-2009, 03:23 PM
Agreed. I'm a Maryland girl born and raised, the only tie I have to PA and Pittsburgh is that my mother and father originally were both from PA. My only family members that are Steelers fans are my cousins and my Aunt and Uncle, I didn't discover this until well after I had started to get into Steeler football in H.S.

Most of my friends will give me crap that since I've lived in Maryland my entire life I should have been completely stoked about having the Ravens come to town. Sure, I was excited, Baltimore had a team again - but I was already a die hard Steelers fan and I am not leaving my post... I now live in Alabama, I have inspired my boyfriend to be a Steelers fan, as you know there's no pro-team in AL, it's all about college here so I'm happy to FINALLY be dating someone that enjoys pro-football and STEELERS football as much as I do.

I'm happy we're every where that's for sure!!! Gives me some back up when I have to deal with angry, crying Raven fans ;)

I grew up in MD too, and it was a travesity that people felt I should have been a colts, redskins, and then ratbirds fan instead of a Steelers fan. To this day I a thankful that I am a Steelers fan through and through. I wasn't even excited that baltimore got a team back - they didn't support the first one and soon enough they'll be counting down the days until ESPN reports, "Pitchers and catchers report today to training camp!"

As for your back up, we know it as STEELERS NATION!!!

HometownGal
01-16-2009, 03:31 PM
I really liked this thread until people started trashing Iron City beer!!! I grew up on the stuff, it's like Scotch, it's an acquired tast.

Sorry. LOL! If you say its an "acquired taste", hey more power to ya! :drink: I think it's just plain nasty and I'd rather drink rat piss than ever put that sewer water to my lips again. :chuckle:

memphissteelergirl
01-16-2009, 03:35 PM
Sorry. LOL! If you say its an "acquired taste", hey more power to ya! :drink: I think it's just plain nasty and I'd rather drink rat piss than ever put that sewer water to my lips again. :chuckle:

Wow...say how ya really feel! LOL

I have heard someone say it could take the rust off of a car :toofunny:

stlrtruck
01-16-2009, 04:00 PM

Be careful what you wish for, there's a bus full coming to town this weekend.

kittenfantastico76
01-16-2009, 04:17 PM
I grew up in MD too, and it was a travesity that people felt I should have been a colts, redskins, and then ratbirds fan instead of a Steelers fan. To this day I a thankful that I am a Steelers fan through and through. I wasn't even excited that baltimore got a team back - they didn't support the first one and soon enough they'll be counting down the days until ESPN reports, "Pitchers and catchers report today to training camp!"

As for your back up, we know it as STEELERS NATION!!!

Yes... I was raised in a Redskins home. Not sure why my dad never got into the Steelers, since he grew up in PA, but I think that when he moved close to the DC area he went to a Redskins game and was hooked. He used to be a bit more fired up about the Skins - now he pretty much just watches the sport to enjoy it and see who beats who. He's not a die hard, either way. He enjoys both Redskins and Ravens games.

I was too young for the Colts, never liked the Redskins colors as a kid and it was sort of a rebel thing for me to root for the Steelers... And I'm so happy I've stuck with them for many years and will continue too!

Trust me - I miss Maryland, I love it there. But I'm happy I'm not in town for this weeks game. ;) Although some gloating might be fun. I was happy for Baltimore when they got a team back but I wasn't going to root for the Ravens just because I was a maryland girl.

SteelWeb81
01-16-2009, 04:38 PM

Hi!! I'm from Cleveland!! Lived here all my life and I'm def not a wannabe!! Granted my dad is from Connellsville an hour outside of Pittsburgh and I grew up in a Steeler household, but my brother-in-law is from CLE and he's been a Steelers fan since he was 4. There is an unbelievable force around Steelers football that pulls people in from everywhere. Pride in one's city does not have to be pride in their football team. It's the vibe and style of a team that makes a fan...not where one is from.

That's my opinion anyway!! :wink02:

Steelers
01-16-2009, 05:04 PM
Funny story... I did a semester in London last Fall and some friends and I took a trip to Rome in Italy. We were out checking the nightlife down some random street in the heart of Rome and we see this huge Steelers flag on some bar. Obviously, they were trying to appeal to tourists, but I didn't see any other flags... just the Black and Gold in Italy, baby!

Stlrs4Life
01-16-2009, 10:28 PM
Funny story... I did a semester in London last Fall and some friends and I took a trip to Rome in Italy. We were out checking the nightlife down some random street in the heart of Rome and we see this huge Steelers flag on some bar. Obviously, they were trying to appeal to tourists, but I didn't see any other flags... just the Black and Gold in Italy, baby!

Was this the Bar in Italia?:

http://www.post-gazette.com/multimedia/?videoid=101221

mesaSteeler
01-16-2009, 11:10 PM
Grew up outside of the burg (Irwin) and left in the early 70's when my father was transferred to Missouri. Now I reside in Mesa Arizona which is a suburb of Phoenix.

There are many many Steeler fans here and Harold's Corral in Cave Creek Az is one of the largest Steeler bars outside of PA. I miss the burgh but I don't think I could handle the terrible winters anymore. The high temperature here today was 76 degrees.

devilsdancefloor
01-17-2009, 12:06 AM
i grew up in south central indiana. the closet NFL team (100 miles to old river front from my doorstep) was the bungels.i was 7 my dad won took the family to the bungels game well they where playing the steelers and since that day i have been a steelers fan. and now the colts are only 30 miles away and blah. my youngerst daughter and both my boys are die hard steeler fans (17, 14, 11) they have colt days and they always wear the black and gold!!! (brings a tear to my eye). my oldest gets the most grief and takes it in stride! I was picking her up from school on a colts day (in my black F150 with plenty of steelers stickers you can see it from the space shuttle) i pull up a boy is giving her a hard time about the steelers. she walks to the truck turns around and says "cant here you to busy shinning our 5 LT". she got in and said dolt fans are idiots! lol! Anyway i am in NO way a wannabe fan. If anything i would bet lugi was a foreskins fan prior to 1996.And you have the balls to call us wannabe fans!:tt03::tt03::tt03::tt03:

DJfan
01-17-2009, 04:04 AM
Harold's Corral in Cave Creek Az is one of the largest Steeler bars outside of PA.

Did an event with the Steel City Mafia there last year. About 3,000 Steelers fan showed up!

I grew up in San Diego. Does that mean that I had no football team in my hometown?:laughing:

Seriously, I became a fan back in the early 70's. Only been to the Burgh once, last August for training camp.

Am I a bandwagoner. I guess I don't care. I've been a fan longer than many of you have been alive.

RoethlisBURGHer
01-17-2009, 08:43 AM
I was born and raised in Cleveland, Ohio. I still live here, matter-of-fact.

I have been to Pittsburgh a few times. Almost moved there in the summer of 2005, but the jobs me and my buddy got fell through.

Hometown team is the Browns, so it's not like Cleveland really has a football team, lol.

Also, my Grandparents are from Western PA and my Grandpa is why I am a diehard Steelers fan.

So am I a wanna-be? No, I am not. Cut me, and I will bleed Black and Gold.

Jaquila
01-17-2009, 08:57 AM
Im from Denmark and have never been to Pittsburgh (planning on it though) But I have been a Steelers fan since I discovered the game of Football, thats 9 years ago now and I will always bleed Black N' Gold so call me a wannabe and I will kick you in the nuts!!

stillers4me
01-17-2009, 08:58 AM
I grew up in Western Pa. I've lived in Cinci for 25 years......but I "wannabe" in Pa. :hunch:

hindes204
01-17-2009, 09:58 AM
Just my :twocents:

I am very proud to be a part of STEELER NATION as it is a major part of the team's overall identity and is a huge part of what puts us above the rest!

I do believe, however, that being a fan that lives or lived there is different.....not better, just different.

For me, I grew up and lived in Altoona (about 2 hours from Pgh) for 30 some years. (Altoona is predominately a Steeler fan population).... living now in south central PA......(7 miles from MD line and an area with ALOT of raven's fan)......being a Steeler fan now also represents "home" for me.....and I think that's a powerful thing!:tt:
Again, just my opinion.

i agree...i think being from da burgh (grew up 10 mins from three rivers) is different, not any better than alot of you guys, just different. i have to agree with luigi when he said that i would say the same thing about somebody in da burgh rooting for somebody other than the steelers. one of my very good friends i grew up with is a die hard raiders fan now, and he grew up right down the street from the stadium too...and i just dont get it, it doesnt make sense to abandon the team you grew up next to and root for somebody else

Blitzberg06
01-17-2009, 10:14 AM
I grew up in Western Pa. I've lived in Cinci for 25 years......but I "wannabe" in Pa. :hunch:

I feel that...Cincinnati is soo boring :banging:

welder4pit
01-17-2009, 10:22 AM
im originally from iowa.not pitt. loved the steelers growing up.as a father i would rather see my child rooting for a class team than a bunch of thugs such as balt. or dallas.if u are willing to wear your steelers hat or jersey with your head held high wether they win or lose is not a wanna be. you are a fan no matter where you are from. lets face it some teams you just dont want to expose your children to and say what they do and how they do it is ok as long as they win.

welder4pit
01-17-2009, 10:31 AM
Our nefarious plan is unfolding! Bwwwaaahahah!!

There are so many transplanted Pittsburghers scattered throughout the country that people can't help but encounter them. And Steeler mania is contagious. Why, I've personally infected 2 so far (one a victim of exposure to my first victim) and I'm working on another.
Iowa's easy territory to convert; they all wear black & gold anyway. :hatsoff:
Next year we're taking a road trip up to Chicago for the Steeler game :D

GO HAWKEYES GO STEELERS. I bleed black n gold forever:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Michael Keller
01-17-2009, 10:53 AM
I was born and raised in the Pittsburgh area(Aliquippa) and then moved to California and specifically Sacramento. I meet Steeler fans all the time out here in Sacramento . I see Steeler logos and license plates on cars. I see Steelers caps, shirts, jackets ALL THE TIME.

Surprisingly about 80 plus percent of these people are not from Pittsburgh and they are great, great fans that love the Steelers.

These guys make me proud to be a Steeler fan because they made the CHOICE . I was born into my good fortune to be a fan They had the good judgement to pick the Steelers as their team. I think they are special and I love their loyalty. These guys really make the NATION what it is.

I am giving a presentation about the history of the Super Bowl and the Pittsburgh Steelers to a group of home school boys this coming Tuesday . I will be playing the highlights of Super Bowl 40 and my goal is to get as many young minds as possible to become great Steeler fans.

There will be an abundance of 8 to 12 year olders being added on this year when they watch the likes of Troy, Ben, Heinz, win this year's Super Bowl . The Steeler Nation will become a KINGDOM in a little over two weeks. You can not deny these people their right for the ]]"Pursuit of Happiness" to become Steeler fans. Thomas Jefferson had the forsight to understand this inalienable right .

Chris Lipiec
01-17-2009, 11:29 AM
I live in Erie, Pa. The NFL forces the local Tv affiliates here to show Buffalo Jills games. We are also close to the Land of the Cleves.
The local newspaper favors the Clowns. Both local sports radio hosts favor the Clowns as well. Not to mention they are Steeler haters. And they brag about it. As if they are proud to root for the loser Clowns.

Steeler fans outnumber anything else around here 1000 to 1. Why would someone from western Pa. root for teams in California or Texas or Florida? These are "Steeler Haters". They have no creibility at all.

I love it when our Steelers are on the road and there are thousands of Steeler fans in the stadium.

Ask Brian Billick about that. He went on a radio station in Baltimore and told the Baltimore Browns fans not to sell their tickets to the Steelers Nation.

Steelers
01-17-2009, 02:18 PM
Was this the Bar in Italia?:

http://www.post-gazette.com/multimedia/?videoid=101221

Oh my God, that's it. Pretty cool!

SteelerFanInATL
01-18-2009, 06:21 AM
Not complaining... just an observation. Steelers fans are flat out UNAVOIDABLE. Annoying at times, yes, but kinda cool otherwise. One caveat that I'll get to later.

Seriously, they're everywhere. My next door neighbor is from Pitts originally. Great guy. He likes to stick Steeler stuff in my mailbox to irritate me. It was a can of Iron City a few years ago. I still have that nasty thing in my fridge.

The uncool part... locals who adopt the Steelers just because. They irritate the sh*t outa me. There's Raider foster-fans, and Cowboy foster-fans too, but by far more Steelers.

You guys probably don't have that to deal with since the team has been there for so long. But here, there are weiners who have no connection to Pitts who are wannabe fans. Hate em.

That's it - one prop one minor rant.

Let me tell you something brother, everyone you see are not FOSTER FANS but probably displaced STEELERS FANS or JUST LONG TIME FANS. I was born and raised in PGH but now live in ATL (home of H. Ward) I can't tell you how many people I have met that are from PGH and of course cheer for the Black & Gold. Not only in ATL, I do alot of traveling and always see people and talk with them and find out they are from PGH originally. Even things like there dad was a fan so now they are fans, or if not from the city, just a fan since the 70's, 80's, or 90's. You are right, we are eveywhere. I sport my colors proudly during football season as I travel or when home in Atlanta. It's nothing but LOVE FOR THE BLACK & GOLD!!!!!!!!!!!!

SteelerFanInATL
01-18-2009, 06:24 AM

Not good but GREAT POINT!!!!!!!!! :tt02: :helmet: :tt: :drink: