PDA

View Full Version : BREAKING NEWS: US Airways Flt 1549 crashes into the Hudson river

nojobny
01-15-2009, 02:53 PM
You can listen to the news radio broadcast live on www.wcbs880.com

nojobny
01-15-2009, 03:02 PM
http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/images/01/15/t1home.hudson.plane.cnn.jpg

US Airways flight down in New York's Hudson River

Emergency officials are responding to a downed plane in the Hudson River in New York City, according to the city fire and police departments. The FAA confirmed US Airways Flight 1549, an Airbus A320 headed from New York's LaGuardia Airport to Charlotte, North Carolina, was down in the river following a failed takeoff. The U.S. Coast Guard said units were also responding, and a ferry on site was dropping life jackets into the water.

XxKnightxX
01-15-2009, 03:17 PM
Pilot did a hell of a Job to hold himself down, My friend is in Jersey City right now working on a roof and he saw it he was in complete awe, so far he said a lot of the passengers managed to get out so do not think that the passengers got stuck there. Apparently geese got into the engines. What a freak accident.

NJarhead
01-15-2009, 03:23 PM
They're saying that they ingested bird(s) in each engine (dual engine flame out). It's not uncommon for a plane to fly through a flock of birds, but I can't recall the last this has ever happened in New York (if ever). And we have tree major airports within a few miles of each other.
It snowed here all morning....I would have guessed icing conditions as the culprit.

HometownGal
01-15-2009, 03:34 PM
I'm watching it live right now - what a terrifying experience. :horror: From the sounds of things, it looks like everyone was rescued and thank God there were ferry boats in the water not too far from where the plane went down.

SteelersinCA
01-15-2009, 03:37 PM
Damn talk about some cold water, that's gotta be a miserable experience.

XxKnightxX
01-15-2009, 03:38 PM
I'm watching it live right now - what a terrifying experience. :horror: From the sounds of things, it looks like everyone was rescued and thank God there were ferry boats in the water not too far from where the plane went down.

Yeah those waters are like a water highway, one of the busiest rivers. I think I would of been workng I would of prabably have been sent there.

Polamalu Princess
01-15-2009, 03:38 PM
Thank God - it looks like all 150 people survived. Great job pilots!

NJarhead
01-15-2009, 03:55 PM
It drifted a long way (probably about 5 miles). There's a CG station (Sector/Station New York just a few miles away in Staten Is). They say it floated for about 30 minutes before it went under.

SteelCurtain7
01-15-2009, 03:59 PM

Amen!!!!! :tt:

NJarhead
01-15-2009, 04:00 PM
BTW - http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090115/ap_on_re_us/plane_in_river

tony hipchest
01-15-2009, 04:02 PM
good to hear. i gotta fly to san antonio in a few hours and return tomorrow so looks like the plane crash for the day is out of the way.

geese huh? sounds like they need one of these-

http://www-rohan.sdsu.edu/~hurley/Steelers_Radar.gif

Preacher
01-15-2009, 04:06 PM
good to hear. i gotta fly to san antonio in a few hours and return tomorrow so looks like the plane crash for the day is out of the way.

geese huh? sounds like they need one of these-

http://www-rohan.sdsu.edu/%7Ehurley/Steelers_Radar.gif

I love it...

For hte plane crash. . .

Dual flame outs? And the pilots still put it down in the water without breakin the plane? WOW.

nojobny
01-15-2009, 04:28 PM
http://s.wsj.net/public/resources/images/OB-CY656_plane3_F_20090115163110.jpg

I could not even imagine being this position. I am deathly afraid of drowning.

nojobny
01-15-2009, 04:36 PM
Successful Water Landings of Airplanes Rare
Article
Comments
MORE IN BUSINESS
By LYNN LUNSFORD

The pilot of US Airways Flight 1549 achieved one of the most technically challenging and seldom attempted feats in commercial aviation: landing on water successfully.

Although commercial jetliners are required to be equipped with life vests and inflatable slides that can be used in emergency landings on water, there have been few, if any, successful attempts during the jet age, in part because of the speed at which such planes take off and land.

To accomplish such a feat so soon after takeoff, while maneuvering over the skyscrapers of Manhattan and into the crowded Hudson River, will likely be seen as a testament to the crew's piloting skills.

"It looks like a great bit of flying and great airmanship," said Bob Mann, an airline consultant based in Port Washington, NY.

According to a person familiar with preliminary information, the pilot reported striking one or more birds on takeoff, causing the engines to abruptly lose power. Passengers told CNN that they heard a distinct "bang" shortly after takeoff and then the cabin of the aircraft began to fill with smoke.

According to an FAA official, the airplane departed from Runway 4 at LaGuardia airport and was airborne for only about three minutes before the crash landing. The official said witnesses reported that the jet hit a flock of birds.

According to the flight path as visible online, the aircraft appeared to be at an altitude of about 3000 ft. -- a little less than two minutes into its flight -- when it descended and flew along the Hudson shoreline.

Initially, said one person familiar with conversations with air traffic controllers, the pilots had hoped to maneuver the plane to a safe landing at nearby Teterboro, N.J., but the plane was descending too quickly.

In such emergencies, pilots are trained to bring the airplane in for a smooth landing, just as they would on dry land. They typically would lower the plane's wing flaps and slats, which increase surface area and allow the aircraft to slow down as much as possible.

In order to keep the plane as watertight as possible, pilots are trained to keep the landing gear stowed inside the fuselage.

One of the biggest obstacles to a safe water landing is a jetliner's engines, which hang below the wings on planes such as the A320. Because of their size, the engines could become enormous water brakes at the time of touchdown, potentially forcing the profanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofa nityfilterpit to hit the water at a steep angle.

In order to overcome this, pilots are taught to keep the airplane's nose as high as possible during landing so that the plane will hit the water at the lowest possible speed, making impact less dramatic.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123205611103787217.html

drizze99
01-15-2009, 04:50 PM
My hats off to the pilots... what they pulled off today was unbelievably heroic.

SteelCityMan786
01-15-2009, 05:13 PM
Hats off to the pilots, looks like they'll be 150 for 150.

HometownGal
01-16-2009, 11:12 AM
This courageous man is a HERO.:drink::hatsoff: Through no fault of his own, his plane may have flown into a flock of geese, but he definitely had guardian angels flying by his side.

http://www.foxnews.com/images/root_images/011609_HEROPILOT.jpg

devilsdancefloor
01-16-2009, 11:46 AM
it is amazing that he didnt break up the plane into many little bitty pieces! Someones guardian angel was looking over them for sure!

CaliStillersFan
01-16-2009, 08:26 PM
If I was on that plane, I would be that pilots indentured servant for the rest of my life. What an incredible story!!!

HometownGal
03-13-2009, 11:47 AM
I know this is old news now, but one of my friends sent me this video of a re-creation of what really happened that day and how Capt. Sullenberg's quick mind and expertise saved the lives of all of those on board the aircraft. :thumbsup::drink:

AWESOME video!

imDFSnklB0k

tony hipchest
03-13-2009, 12:08 PM
how Capt. Sullenberg's quick mind and expertise saved the lives of all of those on board the aircraft. :thumbsup::drink:

AWESOME video!

wow! holy shit! i could watch that over and over. it woulda been pure disaster if he tried to get it to an airport.

7SteelGal43
03-13-2009, 01:21 PM
What astounds me is the capt sounds calm and cool throughout the whole thing. Great job !!!

The Patriot
03-13-2009, 02:09 PM
What astounds me is the capt sounds calm and cool throughout the whole thing. Great job !!!

He almost sounded like there was nothing out of the ordinary. I think that's because instinct takes over and there's no time to panic.

Crushzilla
03-13-2009, 02:18 PM
I really like the people calmly walking out of the airplane and onto the wing.

"I didn't know we had a layover in the Hudson..."

Amazing stuff, though.

steelreserve
03-13-2009, 02:37 PM
I think I recognize some of the passengers from The Sims.

Bella, is that you?

stlrtruck
03-13-2009, 03:33 PM
Yeah the whole time the captains like, "Yeah, dumb arse I've already told you we're going in the Hudson"

That crew deserves more than just a round of applause, they deserve to be called heroes (at least for one day).

Dino 6 Rings
03-13-2009, 07:57 PM
That really is amazing..."can't do it...we're going in the Hudson"

And no one was seriously Injured...that's a Real American Hero

http://www.etonline.com/media/photo/2009/01/73049/400_ChesleyBSullenburger_INFphoto.JPG

xfl2001fan
03-13-2009, 09:19 PM
Finally got to watch this video...pretty cool stuff there!

hindes204
03-13-2009, 10:04 PM
Great video...what a hell of a pilot