PDA

View Full Version : Mark Sanchez leaving school.....

MDSteel15
01-16-2009, 08:12 AM
Even though the coach says "You're not ready!" Who thinks this will hurt his stock in the draft knowing that Coach doesn't believe he is ready? :popcorn:

TackleMeBen
01-16-2009, 08:24 AM
you can say carroll was peed at that press conference.

MDSteel15
01-16-2009, 08:32 AM
Sorry, here's the link:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80e22641&template=without-video&confirm=true

MDSteel15
01-16-2009, 08:33 AM
you can say carroll was peed at that press conference.

Definately! A tap and good bye..... He looked like he was in the 50 yad dash getting out of there!

lilyoder6
01-16-2009, 08:38 AM
pete was trying to tell mark that the nfl wants more exp than he has now.. but now the race is only between sanchez and stafford for best qb

TackleMeBen
01-16-2009, 09:23 AM
doesnt matter, one of them will be the starting qb for the 0-16 detroit lions..and will end their career early playing for the 0-16 lions...

MasterOfPuppets
01-16-2009, 09:31 AM
doesnt matter, one of them will be the starting qb for the 0-16 detroit lions..and will end their career early playing for the 0-16 lions...
but not till they collect 50 or 60 mill.....:wink02:

rbryan
01-16-2009, 09:46 AM
Carroll is a douchebag. Only hurt himself and the program with his actions. He may be right about Sanchez's chances in the NFL, but to act like a child over it is ridiculous.

Godfather
01-16-2009, 09:48 AM
I hear he's a dirty player.

ShutDown24
01-16-2009, 10:29 AM

:toofunny::toofunny::toofunny:

MDSteel15
01-16-2009, 03:02 PM
:toofunny::sofunny::rofl::tt03:

LambertIsGod58
01-16-2009, 03:41 PM
Carroll is a douchebag. Only hurt himself and the program with his actions. He may be right about Sanchez's chances in the NFL, but to act like a child over it is ridiculous.

Great post rbryan. It totally made Carrol look bad. Remember his as an NFL coach? He was terrible. Although I agree with him about Sanchez. I don't see him amounting to much in the NFL. I thought Booty was as good if not better coming out. And he can't beat out TJack in Minnesota on the depth chart.

The Duke
01-16-2009, 05:26 PM
Great post rbryan. It totally made Carrol look bad. Remember his as an NFL coach? He was terrible. Although I agree with him about Sanchez. I don't see him amounting to much in the NFL. I thought Booty was as good if not better coming out. And he can't beat out TJack in Minnesota on the depth chart.

To be fair, he was still a rookie last season. I still have my hopes for Booty

As for Sanchez, I've never seen him as anything special

westcoastransplant
01-16-2009, 06:15 PM
Big USC fan here, am a little disapointed that Sanchez didn't come back. Given the state of the teams that will be drafting in the top 5, this year may not be the one to come out as a QB. Typically, QB's should sit their first year. I agree with Carrol that he should stay one more season. I'm also kind of selfish in thinking this since he had an unbelieveable Rose Bowl and would be considered a favorite for the Heisman. I know Carrol is disapointed too, but he should keep that to himself at the press conference. In the end, he'll just reload like he always does.

devilsdancefloor
01-16-2009, 06:37 PM

http://img26.picoodle.com/img/img26/3/1/16/f_Iseewhatyoum_2e2854f.jpg

:toofunny::toofunny::toofunny::toofunny::rofl::rof l:

lilyoder6
01-16-2009, 06:38 PM
but i think that sanchez had in the back of his mind that palmer,leinhart, and booty stayed 1 yr too late and it affected them.. some money wise and some playing wise

westcoastransplant
01-16-2009, 06:57 PM
I think he had his mind made up no matter what Carrol recommended. You can't blame him. If its your dream to go to the NFL and you got people saying you'll be a first round pick, why wait?

ShutDown24
01-16-2009, 07:15 PM
This will probably sound crazy to most people, but I think Sanchez is a safer pick than Stafford.

Aussie_steeler
01-16-2009, 08:49 PM
Sanchez has been at school for 4 years and will take classes up until May so that he graduates.

Once Bradford said that he was returning I think Sanchez realised that he was now a lock for the first round and he would be mad not to cash in that opportunity.

I think he probably lands at the Jets - coming from USC he can probably handle the media attention that will come the way of a young QB in NYC

MasterOfPuppets
01-17-2009, 02:35 AM
This will probably sound crazy to most people, but I think Sanchez is a safer pick than Stafford.
i gotta agree with this guy....

Stafford a near-lock to be taken ahead of Sanchez

Last year, I learned it is not smart to declare a pick a lock, unless of course you end up being right.

This year, it is nearly a lock. I believe it is highly probable that Georgia signal caller Matthew Stafford will hear his name called first on April 25 at Radio City Music Hall ahead of Mark Sanchez.

Why do I think this is so probable? Let's go through the two reasons:

1. Stafford's experience over Sanchez's dictates he will go first.

Stafford was born with a rocket launcher for a right arm (that is my slogan, and I might trademark it), but it is not the only reason he will go ahead of Sanchez.

Stafford has thrown 500 more balls in his career than Sanchez. Both players ran pro-style offenses in college, so we aren't comparing apples and oranges. Stafford has much, much, much more experience. The Detroit Lions will not take a quarterback with only 487 college pass attempts and a year of starting experience No. 1 overall. It is not going to happen.

2. Stafford's arm strength over Sanchez's dictates he will go first.

Stafford's arm strength is another reason he will go ahead of Sanchez. Remember in 2007, we had the JaMarcus Russell vs. Brady Quinn debate. Russell's arm strength won out and he was taken No. 1. The same will happen this year. Stafford has slightly more upside, and that is another reason he will be taken first.

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-17-2009, 09:01 AM
Sanchez has been at school for 4 years and will take classes up until May so that he graduates.

Once Bradford said that he was returning I think Sanchez realised that he was now a lock for the first round and he would be mad not to cash in that opportunity.

I think he probably lands at the Jets -

Thats were I have him on my latest draft.

lilyoder6
01-17-2009, 09:07 AM
i think that sanchez will be the safer pick b/c he alrdy ran an pro off at sc and that does help a lot

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-17-2009, 09:13 AM
i think that sanchez will be the safer pick b/c he alrdy ran an pro off at sc and that does help a lot

One of the barometers for picking pro players is "body of work"....there are way to many examples of one year wonders that do not make it in the NFL...Sanchez does not have enough starts to warrant being picked above Stafford.

The Lions will take the "safer pick"...based on the two 1st round QB's "body of work"....and in that Stafford goes #1.

ShutDown24
01-17-2009, 09:59 AM
i gotta agree with this guy....

Oh I'm not saying he'll go before Stafford, there's no doubt he won't. What I'm saying is that I think Sanchez will make an easier transition to the NFL. There's no denying that Matthew Stafford throws an incredible ball. To be honest, it's one of the best I've ever seen. His arm strength is amazing. That being said, I just don't see it with this kid mentally. Everything he ran at Georgia seemed (To me) to be extremely simple. While he has unquestionable physical tools, I didn't see the football smarts there at times. That's what scares me away from Stafford. Sanchez on the other hand, impressed me greatly. I have seen a number of posts disparaging him and a lot of people nationally seem to think he's a product of a good USC team. But! I really do think he is a safer pick despite not having as much experience as Stafford. Why? Maybe it's just a feeling more than anything. But ya know, I think scouting is a lot more about gut feeling than most people want to admit. And I hit it pretty good last year with my predictions so I'm not really frightened to go out on a limb for this draft.

lilyoder6
01-17-2009, 10:35 AM
One of the barometers for picking pro players is "body of work"....there are way to many examples of one year wonders that do not make it in the NFL...Sanchez does not have enough starts to warrant being picked above Stafford.

The Lions will take the "safer pick"...based on the two 1st round QB's "body of work"....and in that Stafford goes #1.

but sanchez does have a good body of work.. he has a good arm and some good accuracy... obv we have 2 wait til the combine 2 rly compare the tangibles and what not.. but right now.. sanchez is fresh in evry one's mind as the best qb in the draft after the performance in the rose bowl

ShutDown24
01-17-2009, 10:48 AM
Thats were I have him on my latest draft.

I like him to the Jets a lot as well.

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-17-2009, 02:16 PM
but sanchez does have a good body of work.. he has a good arm and some good accuracy... obv we have 2 wait til the combine 2 rly compare the tangibles and what not.. but right now.. sanchez is fresh in evry one's mind as the best qb in the draft after the performance in the rose bowl

Not sure where you are getting your info....99% of draft boards have him well after Stafford....One years worth of games does not a "body of work" make.

MasterOfPuppets
01-17-2009, 02:24 PM
i think that sanchez will be the safer pick b/c he alrdy ran an pro off at sc and that does help a lotgeorgia also runs a "pro style offense"

ShutDown24
01-17-2009, 02:38 PM
georgia also runs a "pro style offense"

Probably even more so than SC from what I've seen.

revefsreleets
01-17-2009, 03:05 PM
People fall way too deeply in love with arm-strength at the NFL level. Any QB that can throw the deep out can succeed on Sunday's...this is overkill.

Stafford is overrated IMO. He's not mobile, and his numbers don't show him to be all that incredibly accurate or anything (although he did finally manage to complete over 60% of his passes this year). He threw key picks against good defenses this year, and that makes a difference.

I think he'll be forced to start on a bad team next year and it will ruin him...

ShutDown24
01-17-2009, 03:09 PM
People fall way too deeply in love with arm-strength at the NFL level. Any QB that can throw the deep out can succeed on Sunday's...this is overkill.

Stafford is overrated IMO. He's not mobile, and his numbers don't show him to be all that incredibly accurate or anything (although he did finally manage to complete over 60% of his passes this year). He threw key picks against good defenses this year, and that makes a difference.

I think he'll be forced to start on a bad team next year and it will ruin him...

I agree. I'm not necessarily sure he'll be ruined or even a bust, but I definitely don't think he's as good as many people do by any means. That's the biggest reason I like Sanchez so much this year.

atlsteelers
01-19-2009, 10:40 AM
Oh I'm not saying he'll go before Stafford, there's no doubt he won't. What I'm saying is that I think Sanchez will make an easier transition to the NFL. There's no denying that Matthew Stafford throws an incredible ball. To be honest, it's one of the best I've ever seen. His arm strength is amazing. That being said, I just don't see it with this kid mentally. Everything he ran at Georgia seemed (To me) to be extremely simple. While he has unquestionable physical tools, I didn't see the football smarts there at times. That's what scares me away from Stafford. Sanchez on the other hand, impressed me greatly. I have seen a number of posts disparaging him and a lot of people nationally seem to think he's a product of a good USC team. But! I really do think he is a safer pick despite not having as much experience as Stafford. Why? Maybe it's just a feeling more than anything. But ya know, I think scouting is a lot more about gut feeling than most people want to admit. And I hit it pretty good last year with my predictions so I'm not really frightened to go out on a limb for this draft.

Actually stafford ran a pretty complex offense at uga. its a prostyle offense out of the i-formation. All of the at line adjustments were made by stafford. matt would call his own plays at the line after seeing the defensive front so he had an excelent understanding of the offense. cmr allowed matt to make the play calls for entire drives. so matt has all of the tools and the football smarts. as for who is drafted first, i think it will be matt.

on sanchez coming out his own coach called him out for not understanding the game and not being ready for the nfl. what a prick pete carroll is. he would not acknowlege or shack sanchez's hand at the press conference. what it showed to me was the pete carroll is a selfesh a$$. how much cash did pete cost sanchez? a few million?

revefsreleets
01-19-2009, 11:40 AM
OK, I said this before, but it cannot be overstated. Ryan Leaf had a ROCKET arm and could throw a football through a brick wall, and he also played in a pro style system, but he was a huge bust. He put up much gaudier numbers than Stafford as well, so...anyway, time will tell, but I expect he'll go the way of Akili Smith and Tim Couch.

atlsteelers
01-19-2009, 03:03 PM
to compare ryan leaf and matt stafford is foolish

ShutDown24
01-19-2009, 06:29 PM
to compare ryan leaf and matt stafford is foolish

To be honest, it's a very legitimate comparison considering both of the player’s body of work in college; excellent.

Actually stafford ran a pretty complex offense at uga. its a prostyle offense out of the i-formation. All of the at line adjustments were made by stafford. matt would call his own plays at the line after seeing the defensive front so he had an excellent understanding of the offense. cmr allowed matt to make the play calls for entire drives. so matt has all of the tools and the football smarts. as for who is drafted first, i think it will be matt.

I think Stafford could have benefited greatly from another year of college. Not as far as his draft status goes, but definitely as a player. Yes he ran a pro style offense out of the I for the majority of his collegiate career - that's the point. There is no way you can tell me that Matthew Stafford maximized his potential as a college player. He left a lot of plays on the field at Georgia, particularly this season. I think he could have done more with the talent around him and that's what is scary about the guy. There is little doubt he will be the first quarterback taken, and good for him - a players draft status doesn't get much better than Stafford has elevated his to. However, that doesn't guarantee success by any means. Strictly about being as good of a player as he could become, Stafford could have become more NFL-ready by staying at school and playing less talented competition.

As far as Sanchez, I think he pretty much reached his full college potential at SC. Obviously not being around the player or being a part of that organization you never know, but to me, he made the most of his physical tools and showed competent knowledge of how to command an offense in most situations. That definitely doesn't mean he will succeed either at the next level, nor does it mean he will be a better player that Stafford. But what it does mean is that, in my opinion, he made the most of his college experience. No matter what Pete Carroll says.

atlsteelers
01-20-2009, 08:43 AM
I think that matt definately maximized his potential as a college player.

he started as a true freshmen. on a team fresh off a SEC title. So he took over a very young team that had just graduated the entire starting receiving corp. He had a nice season.

His second season as a starter they finsish #2 in the country.

His third season as a starter he loses his entire offesive line to injuries. they had a true freshman at center, lost sturdivant for the season, lost tripp for the season, and started 5 different offensive lines combinations this season. if you look at the steelers offensive line they look like a model of consistency with what uga endured this season. so i do not lay this past seasons losses on stafford. we just had a tough time with injuries. if it was not for matt we probally lose the kentucky and auburn games.

matt will fine in the nfl. where as leaf was a head case. so you can compare the arm strength of the two but in no way can you compare the football smarts and quality of the individual.

revefsreleets
01-20-2009, 08:58 AM
Nobody knew Leaf was a headcase until he reached the NFL.

My point has to do much more with the fact that Leaf tried to cover up other holes in his game with arm-strength, and I think Stafford does that a little too. If he was a stronger runner, that would help, but he's not very mobile. Add in the fact that he will almost certainly be playing (and probably starting right off the bat) on a pretty shitty NFL team will not help. Expect lack of skill players around him. Expect poor line blocking. Expect a lot of obstacles to overcome. I just think a QB with more mobility would have a better chance on Sundays given the set of circumstances he's almost certainly going to find himself in.

ShutDown24
01-20-2009, 01:38 PM
I think that matt definately maximized his potential as a college player.

he started as a true freshmen. on a team fresh off a SEC title. So he took over a very young team that had just graduated the entire starting receiving corp. He had a nice season.

His second season as a starter they finsish #2 in the country.

His third season as a starter he loses his entire offesive line to injuries. they had a true freshman at center, lost sturdivant for the season, lost tripp for the season, and started 5 different offensive lines combinations this season. if you look at the steelers offensive line they look like a model of consistency with what uga endured this season. so i do not lay this past seasons losses on stafford. we just had a tough time with injuries. if it was not for matt we probally lose the kentucky and auburn games.

matt will fine in the nfl. where as leaf was a head case. so you can compare the arm strength of the two but in no way can you compare the football smarts and quality of the individual.

Well, that's what is so much fun about the draft. Three years from now we can bring out this thread and consider everything we have all said and see what happened :drink:

atlsteelers
01-20-2009, 03:35 PM
yeah the draft is fun to BS about. who would have thought that matt ryan and flaco would both lead their teams to the playoffs

revefsreleets
01-20-2009, 06:38 PM
Ryan? Yeah...I figured he'd be pretty good right out of the shoot. Flacco? No effin way.

But he was a D1AA guy so nbody REALLY knew how good he was.