PDA

View Full Version : Circuit City to liquidate remaining stores

SteelCityMan786
01-16-2009, 12:58 PM
http://altoonamirror.com/page/content.detail/id/515192.html?nav=742

The Problems just keep mounting.:mad:

MasterOfPuppets
01-16-2009, 01:57 PM
they shoulda tried lowering thier freakin prices.....maybe they would've attrackted customers, instead of having them look elsewhere for better prices....:coffee:

X-Terminator
01-16-2009, 02:02 PM
And yet, Best Buy continues to operate without any problems that I'm aware of. Why is that? :hunch:

Honestly though, this comes as no surprise - every time I've been in a Circuit City, there was barely anyone in there. I also agree on their prices - they were definitely higher than anywhere else. Why pay their price when I can go to Best Buy, Target, Walmart or even Office Max and get the same item much cheaper?

KeiselPower99
01-16-2009, 02:11 PM
Maybe Ill be able to buy some of that fancy high tech stuff cheap now.

MasterOfPuppets
01-16-2009, 02:23 PM
And yet, Best Buy continues to operate without any problems that I'm aware of. Why is that? :hunch:

Honestly though, this comes as no surprise - every time I've been in a Circuit City, there was barely anyone in there. I also agree on their prices - they were definitely higher than anywhere else. Why pay their price when I can go to Best Buy, Target, Walmart or even Office Max and get the same item much cheaper?thats what i mean....i've only been in circuit city a few times, but everytime i did go in to look for something specific, as soon as seen the price, i knew i could get it cheaper elsewhere....:noidea:..... even thier sale prices was nothing to get excited about....:popcorn:

memphissteelergirl
01-16-2009, 02:39 PM
They did a story on Circuit City on a public radio program a few months ago. The story basic premise was CC was operating on a outdated business plan. So when stores like Best Buy came along, they did not revise it in time to compete.

Sad, really.

But there was a camcorder in the store near my home I've had my eye on...maybe I'll get a deal.

HometownGal
01-16-2009, 03:21 PM
I've never been a fan of Circuit City because of their outrageous prices, but I do feel badly for the 30,000 employees who will lose their jobs due to obvious mismanagement and greed. Seems to be the order of the day anymore.

MasterOfPuppets
01-16-2009, 03:22 PM
They did a story on Circuit City on a public radio program a few months ago. The story basic premise was CC was operating on a outdated business plan. So when stores like Best Buy came along, they did not revise it in time to compete.

Sad, really.

But there was a camcorder in the store near my home I've had my eye on...maybe I'll get a deal.what was thier business plan ? make the maximum profit on every sale? chase customers away with high prices ? :noidea:

memphissteelergirl
01-16-2009, 03:32 PM
what was thier business plan ? make the maximum profit on every sale? chase customers away with high prices ? :noidea:

No dearie. I meant that CC didn't have much competition around when it first opened, and when they finally got some (i.e., Best Buy, Walmart ,etc.), they did not try to remain competitive. They basically lived in a state of denial that they were untouchable. Well look how it worked out. And by the time they realized it well...too late.

Dino 6 Rings
01-16-2009, 05:24 PM
CC filed for protection back in August, we as a shipping company, and they being one of our clients, started to adjust for this eventuality, we saw this coming.

During the x-mas season, CC didn't have gigantic sales, they pushed older products out to the front of the store and marked them as sale items, but held the new stuff prices high. And then, what did they do instead of cutting prices and trying to get people into their stores with superior products marked down to beat the competition? They started with those dumb commercials with the walking camera and talking plazma tvs. How dumb was that? Those started in September, right after they filed for protection.

So that was their plan to survive? Advertise more?

Dumb. Just Dumb.

Cut prices, push better products with great sales, make sure you were under cutting Walmart Prices at x-mas time, and provide better service.

I price checked quite a few things between Best buy and Walmart this past season, and to be honest, I found that sometimes, Bust Buy had better deals. That was competition and that was pricing wisely.

KeiselPower99
01-16-2009, 07:48 PM
I used to go there all the time and they prices didnt seem outragous to me of course there isnt a best buy around here to compare the price to. The few Best Buys ive been to seemed the prices seemed higher to me.

PAMillerGrrl83
01-16-2009, 11:41 PM
My hubsand and I got our Christmas presents from Circuit City and our big screen LoL.

revefsreleets
01-17-2009, 03:46 PM
Best Buy sucks IF you buy their extended warranties. They don't honor them. Maybe somebody has a story where they did, but they have like 40,000 cases sitting with the Ohio AG where they use the fine print to basically not honor those warranties. Perhaps Circuit City could have looked into this type of profit center?

Anyway, CC just sucked. I've been in a couple different ones (fell for their "bait and switch" a couple times before I figured it out), in a couple different states, and they are all the same. Nobody pays any attention to you until you flag them down, then they try to beat you up into buying shit that you don't want or need, then they pound their own crappy warranty on you.

Good riddance.

steelreserve
01-18-2009, 04:10 AM
This makes me sad, because I got my Wii at Circuit City right after they came out, by camping out all night with a bottle of Captain Morgan. I was so hammered by the time the store opened that I had to have a friend come pick me up, and I couldn't even figure out how to set up the system that day. I had to do it the next day and go get my car. Good times; they will be missed.

steelersfanman92
01-18-2009, 11:59 AM
The sales there are not anything to get excited about I went yesterday to get a MP3 player and they were only 10% off along with all tvs. The the most anything that I saw marked down was camara and ipod accessories which were 30% off. It really is not worth a special trip out there and there is not too much stuff left at any of them anyways.