PDA

View Full Version : Why would you charge at a cop with a knife

BOXCAR JOEY
01-16-2009, 12:20 PM
Hey guys. i havent posted in a year but i found something good to post.

Traffic stop in South Brunswick ends in fatal shooting
Police say speeding driver rammed their cruiser, then threatened them with knife
Wednesday, January 14, 2009
BY SUE EPSTEIN
Star-Ledger Staff

A Ewing man was shot and killed by South Brunswick police when he charged toward the officers with a knife after a high-speed chase along Route 1, authorities said yesterday.

Jacob Olson, 23, was pronounced dead at 12:03 a.m. yesterday at Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital in New Brunswick.
Advertisement

Middlesex County Assistant Prosecutor Nicholas Sewitch said Olson was shot several times after first colliding with then ramming a police car with his 2007 Jeep Compass.

A parked police cruiser initially attempted to stop Olson at 11:14 p.m. Monday after observing him speeding on Route 1 North near Raymond Road in South Brunswick, prosecutors said. Olson's Jeep was traveling "well in excess of the 55 mph speed limit," according to a statement from the prosecutor's office.

A chase ensued, during which Olson slammed on his brakes and veered in front of the police cruiser, causing a collision, prosecutors said. They said the cruiser ended up in front of the Jeep, and Olson rammed the rear of the police car several times.

The police car and the Jeep stopped at Route 1 North and Route 522. Olson got out of his vehicle and, despite orders to stop and drop his weapon, he continued to advance toward the officers with a knife, Sewitch said.

Both officers -- the one involved in the initial chase and one who arrived on the scene for back-up -- fired their .40-caliber handguns at Olson, striking him several times, Sewitch said. Olson's knife was "larger than a pocket knife," he said.

Sewitch refused to identify the officers, who have been placed on administrative leave pending the outcome of the investigation.

He said an autopsy was scheduled for yesterday, and a videotape of the events taken from the police car and all other evidence are being reviewed.

A man who identified himself yesterday as an Olson family member said the family had "nothing to say right now."

Muriel Bruno, 86, of Metuchen, knew the Olson family before they moved several years ago. Jacob Olson was always courteous and well-behaved as far as she knew, Bruno said.

Another neighbor from Metuchen, Owen Haugh, 48, said he liked the family and knew them "quite well." He said Jacob was always cheery.

"Jake was a nice kid, a nice soul," Haugh said. "He always treated me with respect."

Sewitch would not comment on whether Olson had any record. The prosecutor said the Attorney General's Office has been notified of the shooting "pursuant to protocol."

This is the second incident in nine years in which a South Brunswick police officer has been involved in a fatal shooting. In December 1999, Kyung Ho La, 30, was killed when he threatened himself and police with a broken sword after police accompanied mental health workers to La's home to evaluate the Korean immigrant for possible commitment to a psychiatric facility.

A grand jury found the shooting by then Sgt. Ray Hayducka was justified. Hayducka is now the chief of police.

End of article

I knew Jake. I went to High School with him. I graduated with his family, He was in my friend's sons band a while back. Yes he was a pretty cheerful kid back in the day as the people in the article stated. but they probably knew Jake as a child. When you become an adult you don't know who someone is anymore and/or what they are capable of. Honestly as a member of the LE community, I feel that and shooting is justified if you (the officer) feels threatened if someone comes at you with any size of knife, gun, or what ever, if that assailants intent is to cause harm to you(the officer) or the public. At the point when Jake came at the cops with the knife I'm highly certain his intent to cause harm to them was pretty clear when he was ramming the squad car with his vehicle. Sucks. that his family lost a member though.

LambertIsGod58
01-16-2009, 12:37 PM
I'd like to think that cops are trained to use Deadly Physical Force as a last resort. I would have thought they could have used pepper spray first to try and subdue him. But, I wasn't there and don't know all the facts.

I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
01-16-2009, 04:23 PM
The reason you would charge a cop with a knife is because either you are an idiot, or you have a death wish. The police officer had the right to use deadly force when his life was in danger, as it was when his car was smashed and when he was charged with a knife. Putting myself in the officers shoes, I have the right to use deadly force to make sure my kids have a father and my wife has a husband for another day.

NJarhead
01-16-2009, 04:29 PM
Damn. That's only 20 minutes from here.

Steel Mountain
01-17-2009, 04:50 PM
While I do not fault the officer in any way, shape or form, I feel bad for him because if he is a right minded person, he will ask himself during every future encounter if deadly force is ABSOLUTELY necessary and that may cost him HIS life. With two Officers there and the fact that it was a knife not a gun, it may have served THE OFFICERS best interest to disarm him another way. Did they not have Tasers? I will say it again, my comments are only in the interest of this Officer. I know of very few people that can take a life...for right or wrong...that are not haunted by it forever. I wish the best for him and hope that he can make sure that it does not negativley affect his future decision making at a crucial moment.

steelreserve
01-18-2009, 03:07 AM
More importantly, the issue is, why would you NOT charge an officer with a knife? You might get lucky, and he'd tell you, "Hey man, good stab."