PDA

View Full Version : Gruden FIRED!

GutterflowerSteel
01-16-2009, 04:53 PM
No link, I just heard it on Sirius NFL radio. I haven't seen anything online yet.

Fire Haley
01-16-2009, 05:07 PM
I'm pretty sure I called this one weeks ago...

Buccaneers | Gruden fired
Fri, 16 Jan 2009 15:02:50 -0800

ESPNews reports the Tampa Bay Buccaneers have fired head coach Jon Gruden.

RoethlisBURGHer
01-16-2009, 05:14 PM
I wasn't expecting thus until after next season.

He really has been living off of that Super Bowl he won in his first season in Tampa. Every year since then it's been no playoffs or a first-round exit in the playoffs. But I figured since they didn't fire him the first week after the season, his job was safe until at least after next season.

Fire Haley
01-16-2009, 05:32 PM
I bet the Browns are kicking themselves for jumping too soon on The Mangina.

RoethlisBURGHer
01-16-2009, 05:40 PM
I bet the Browns are kicking themselves for jumping too soon on The Mangina.

Chucky wouldn't touch that situation with a thousand-foot-pole.

The Duke
01-16-2009, 05:41 PM
Another HC riding on their super bowl win from years ago. Can't say I'm surprised

Btw, Big D recently mentioned Raheem Morris as possible new young head coach. Maybe he makes lightning strike twice....

His name has really been popping up a lot since the end of the season

SteelTalons
01-16-2009, 05:48 PM
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/orl-bk-jon-gruden-buccaneers-fired-011609,0,7110244.story
Jon Gruden fired as Tampa Bay Buccaneers coach
6:25 PM EST, January 16, 2009

Jon Gruden, the only coach to lead the Tampa Bay Buccaneers to a world championship, was fired Friday night along with General Manager Bruce Allen.

The news was announced by the Bucs, with Executive Vice President Joel Glazer expected to meet with various media outlets at team headquarters later tonight.

"We will be forever grateful to Jon for bringing us the Super Bowl title, and we thank Bruce for his contributions to our franchise," Glazer said in a release. "However, after careful consideration, we feel that this decision is in the best interest of our organization moving forward."

The Glazer family obviously was disappointed in the meltdown that ended the 2008 season, when the Bucs went from a 9-3 mark -- tied for first in the NFC South Division -- and lost the final four games of the season, including an embarrassing 31-21 home defeat against woeful Oakland in the season finale at home. The four-game losing streak cost Tampa Bay a playoff berth.

Gruden, 45, went 59-58 during his seven seasons in Tampa, a mark that includes a 3-2 record in the playoffs. The three wins were significant, as they came during the 2002 postseason when the Bucs reached their first NFL title game and rolled the Oakland Raiders 48-21 in Super Bowl XXXVII at San Diego. The victory was particularly sweet for Gruden, who just 11 months earlier was traded by the Raiders to the Bucs for two first-round draft picks, two second-rounders and $8 million.

The Gruden era included three division titles, including one in 2007 that prompted the Glazers to re-sign both Gruden and Allen to three-year contract extensions worth an estimated $4.5 million and $2 million, respectively, through the 2011 season. Whether the Bucs are on the hook for the entire balance of those contracts is uncertain.

BrandonCarr39
01-16-2009, 05:56 PM
No link, I just heard it on Sirius NFL radio. I haven't seen anything online yet.

Deservedly he should-he took Tony Dungy's team and just shot it to the ground over the long haul. And not to mention too his stubborness with ageing QBs was also his undoing.

Any coach that goes from Super Bowl favorites one minute to not making the playoffs a month later DESERVES to be canned.

GutterflowerSteel
01-16-2009, 06:03 PM
T-Rock and PK (on Sirius) were both shocked. Since the GM was also fired, they were speculating that the Glazers must already have their guy waiting in the wings - like Shanahan or maybe even Cowher - someone who wants control of the roster and the whole operation.

SaskSteeler
01-16-2009, 06:12 PM
i think they could bring in spags from ny he seems like a pretty good fit to me

SteelTalons
01-16-2009, 06:14 PM
T-Rock and PK (on Sirius) were both shocked. Since the GM was also fired, they were speculating that the Glazers must already have their guy waiting in the wings - like Shanahan or maybe even Cowher - someone who wants control of the roster and the whole operation.

Rex Ryan maybe? I heard he was after a Head Coaching job. :coffee:

He's been looking into headcoaching jobs recently.

PisnNapalm
01-16-2009, 06:15 PM
http://www.buccaneers.com/news/newsdetail.aspx?newsid=6912

KeiselPower99
01-16-2009, 06:30 PM

Thats what I was getting ready to say. Maybe Gruden goes back to Oakland and the new coach will be Bill Cowher!!!!

Steeler in Carolina
01-16-2009, 06:33 PM
I didn't expect this since it is 3 weeks after the season was over.

lilyoder6
01-16-2009, 06:41 PM
what i could poss seeing is this..

jon gruden will become the NEW HC of the JETS.. he will convince favre to come back and play another yr.. and jon was trying so hard to get him this past yr.. this is what he is hoping for

Big D
01-16-2009, 06:49 PM
What people often forget is that Parcells got this job before gruden and left the glazers at the alter. My money is that they are going to go full balls to get Cowher. I don't think you fire your coach and gm in mid jan unless you have a hard plan

Big D
01-16-2009, 06:50 PM
what i could poss seeing is this..

jon gruden will become the NEW HC of the JETS.. he will convince favre to come back and play another yr.. and jon was trying so hard to get him this past yr.. this is what he is hoping for

I don't think woody johnson would make a move just to please favre. I think if we bounce the Ravens sunday rex ryan will be hired sometime next week

Fire Haley
01-16-2009, 06:52 PM
Chucky wouldn't touch that situation with a thousand-foot-pole.

That's not the point.

Browns fans already have buyers remorse....

"We should have waited!!!"

"Fire Mangini!!!"

haha!

SaskSteeler
01-16-2009, 07:07 PM
I don't think woody johnson would make a move just to please favre. I think if we bounce the Ravens sunday rex ryan will be hired sometime next week

but most people think that ryan already has the jets job locked up when the ravens season is over

Big D
01-16-2009, 07:22 PM
Another HC riding on their super bowl win from years ago. Can't say I'm surprised

Btw, Big D recently mentioned Raheem Morris as possible new young head coach. Maybe he makes lightning strike twice....

His name has really been popping up a lot since the end of the season

So with coach Jon Gruden out after seven years and the Bucs suddenly in disarray, what happens next?

The early talk, via guys like Adam Schefter of NFLN and John Clayton of ESPN, is that defensive coordinator Raheem Morris will get his second promotion in less than a month.

We’re also hearing talking that Mark Dominik, the team’s director of pro personnel, will be the next G.M., replacing Bruce Allen.

Morris was a finalist for the Broncos’ head-coaching job, and Dominik reportedly was a candidate for the G.M. position in Kansas City. So instead of losing both men after 2009, the Bucs might have decided to promote them now.

Big D
01-16-2009, 07:23 PM
but most people think that ryan already has the jets job locked up when the ravens season is over

that's what i'm saying. I don't see gruden getting this job.

RoethlisBURGHer
01-16-2009, 07:46 PM
So with coach Jon Gruden out after seven years and the Bucs suddenly in disarray, what happens next?

The early talk, via guys like Adam Schefter of NFLN and John Clayton of ESPN, is that defensive coordinator Raheem Morris will get his second promotion in less than a month.

We’re also hearing talking that Mark Dominik, the team’s director of pro personnel, will be the next G.M., replacing Bruce Allen.

Morris was a finalist for the Broncos’ head-coaching job, and Dominik reportedly was a candidate for the G.M. position in Kansas City. So instead of losing both men after 2009, the Bucs might have decided to promote them now.

That's what I would think. Either that or they are hoping to get whoever doesn't get the Jets job (Rex Ruan/Steve Spagnuolo).

stlrtruck
01-16-2009, 08:33 PM
At the end of the season I told a few scubs fan that based on the premises for which Tony Dungy was fired, it was time for Gruden to go now too.

One day the scubs owners may get into gear about having some consistency in that position. They lost a great one with Dungy and now they'll have to try and find someone to replace him because Gruden certainly wasn't the answer.

Aussie_steeler
01-16-2009, 09:06 PM
Mike Shanahan is sitting back watching all this unfold.

I think he would be a good fit in Tampa.

PisnNapalm
01-16-2009, 10:12 PM
Tonight on the next episode of Musical Coaches.... Jon Gruden.

devilsdancefloor
01-16-2009, 10:25 PM
im shocked that he got fired this late after the regular season! Some onewill snatch him up for sure if not as a HC as a OC IMHO.

MasterOfPuppets
01-16-2009, 10:36 PM
Mike Shanahan is sitting back watching all this unfold.

I think he would be a good fit in Tampa.chucky in denver ???......:popcorn:

Preacher
01-16-2009, 10:41 PM
I was surprised it didn't happen last year or the year before, to be honest.

However, 3 weeks after the season, when other teams are already talking to coaches, really doesn't make sense. I wonder what precipitated it.

Edman
01-16-2009, 11:40 PM
That was Tony Dungy's team he took to the Super Bowl. In this "what have you done for me lately" league. Gruden hasn't done much. One and done playoff exits at home, the QB carousel, the failed Chris Simms experiment, the complete disappearence of Carnell Williams, who we all thought was going to be a great RB after his breakout in 2005. About time they got rid of Gruden.

The 2008 Bucs' collapse looks VERY similar to the Steelers of 2007. At least the Steelers made the playoffs. Their Defense was trampled to pieces in Carolina and it snowballed from there.

BrandonCarr39
01-17-2009, 03:24 AM
That was Tony Dungy's team he took to the Super Bowl. In this "what have you done for me lately" league. Gruden hasn't done much. One and done playoff exits at home, the QB carousel, the failed Chris Simms experiment, the complete disappearence of Carnell Williams, who we all thought was going to be a great RB after his breakout in 2005. About time they got rid of Gruden.

The 2008 Bucs' collapse looks VERY similar to the Steelers of 2007. At least the Steelers made the playoffs. Their Defense was trampled to pieces in Carolina and it snowballed from there.

They also had some key injuries too down the stretch-their DTs were hurt(all of a sudden, they couldn't stop the run), their ball-hawking SS Jermaine Phillips went down(their 3rd down D all of a sudden looked weak). and Derrick Brooks was dinged as well.

Not to make excuses for injuries or anything, but they had some very key ones themselves.

Also-Monte Kiffen was hired by his son at U. TN early in this slide...you could tell this defense looked distracted.

jasonhightower
01-17-2009, 07:41 AM
I could potentially see KC getting in the mix for Chucky.

KeiselPower99
01-17-2009, 10:19 AM

This has been confirmed. Raheem Morris is the new Tampa Bay coach. I guess they felt they had better do this before his name really got hot.

lilyoder6
01-17-2009, 10:28 AM
morris just got promoted to the DC pos 30 days ago since kiffin left.. hopefully the bucs know what they are doing.. this could backfire badly on the organization

xfl2001fan
01-17-2009, 10:48 AM
That's not the point.

"Fire Mangini!!!"

haha!

Sorry, this Brown fan doesn't want that guy anywhere near my organization. I'm not thrilled with Mangini...but I'd take him over Chucky any day of th week. All Gruden ever did was take Dungy's team and beat his former team...after that....the Buccaneers became the East Cowboys. No playoff victories.

MasterOfPuppets
01-17-2009, 12:24 PM
Sorry, this Brown fan doesn't want that guy anywhere near my organization. I'm not thrilled with Mangini...but I'd take him over Chucky any day of th week. All Gruden ever did was take Dungy's team and beat his former team...after that....the Buccaneers became the East Cowboys. No playoff victories.i seem to remember him taking a pathetic raiders team to the AFCCG........:noidea:

BehindSteelCurtain
01-17-2009, 01:17 PM
Good move IMO. Gruden hasn't done anything since the SB. And the fact that they haven't found a QB.

RoethlisBURGHer
01-17-2009, 01:53 PM
morris just got promoted to the DC pos 30 days ago since kiffin left.. hopefully the bucs know what they are doing.. this could backfire badly on the organization

Word is he was a finalist for the Denver job. If he didn't get a HC job this year, he was gone after next year more than likley.

I think the Buccs are gonna really flourish under Morris. He's the next Mike Tomlin.

revefsreleets
01-17-2009, 03:48 PM
That's not the point.

"Fire Mangini!!!"

haha!

Saw this coming and even said the Browns should hire him. Gruden knows his way around an offense AND he's a QB guy. He runs a complicated West Coast Offense, but he knows how to bring guys along in it.

It's also VERY wrong to dismiss Gruden as just taking somebody else's Bucs to the SB. he basically worked miracles in Oakland, and any other owner (ie one not clinically insane) would have kept him there. Oakland has done NOTHING but suck since Crazy ole Al fired him.

He's a good coach...better than Mangini...

tony hipchest
01-17-2009, 03:56 PM
NOW the steelers can fire arians and give gruden enough time to formulate a gameplan for the ravens game tomorrow....

after all tomlin and grudog worked together in tampa. :tap:

revefsreleets
01-17-2009, 03:59 PM
Wait a second there...you might have something...

When we win the Super Bowl, somebody will hire Arians away and we'll have an opening. Tomlin can then convince Gruden to come coach us to another couple Super Bowls as OC to increase his HC stock, and then HE gets hired away in 2011 as the highest paid HC in history.

I like it!

stillers4me
01-17-2009, 04:01 PM
I'm just glad we snagged Tomlin when we did.

tony hipchest
01-17-2009, 04:22 PM
Wait a second there...you might have something...

When we win the Super Bowl, somebody will hire Arians away and we'll have an opening. Tomlin can then convince Gruden to come coach us to another couple Super Bowls as OC to increase his HC stock, and then HE gets hired away in 2011 as the highest paid HC in history.

I like it!i gave a half second of a thought to a lebeau retirement and wondered how quickly tomlin woulda jumped on rod marinelli were he still available. (im pretty sure we would promote from within, and its all moot anyhow being lebeau isnt going anywhere), BUT if there were any year to to hire a former nfl HC as a coordinator, this was the year to do it.

so who gets hired away in 2011? tomlin or gruden? if tomlin wins it they better do what the saints did with peyton and rip up his old deal (just 2 years left) and get a new one, quicker than shit.

BrandonCarr39
01-17-2009, 09:14 PM
Saw this coming and even said the Browns should hire him. Gruden knows his way around an offense AND he's a QB guy. He runs a complicated West Coast Offense, but he knows how to bring guys along in it.

It's also VERY wrong to dismiss Gruden as just taking somebody else's Bucs to the SB. he basically worked miracles in Oakland, and any other owner (ie one not clinically insane) would have kept him there. Oakland has done NOTHING but suck since Crazy ole Al fired him.

He's a good coach...better than Mangini...

People seem to be forgetting how Gruden FIXED the Bucs offense that year they won the Super Bowl. Dungy's O system was a JOKE...all it was was run, run, pass, punt, and then let his D do all the work, including forcing turnovers. The D was darn good, without a doubt, but over the long haul they wore down b/c of all the time they had to spend on the field.

In Indy, Dungy was fortunate to have that offensive system in place.

SteelTalons
01-17-2009, 09:18 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80e2c070&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

TAMPA, Fla. -- One day after abruptly firing Jon Gruden, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers introduced Raheem Morris as their new head coach.

BrandonCarr39
01-17-2009, 09:20 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80e2c070&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

TAMPA, Fla. -- One day after abruptly firing Jon Gruden, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers introduced Raheem Morris as their new head coach.

This was prolly a good move-instead of hiring a Shanahan that has a big ego and a shell of his former self to boot.

SteelCityMan786
01-17-2009, 09:25 PM
I'm just glad we snagged Tomlin when we did.

Yep, that move was a blessing in disguise. :thumbsup:

KeiselPower99
01-17-2009, 10:11 PM
Word is he was a finalist for the Denver job. If he didn't get a HC job this year, he was gone after next year more than likley.

I think the Buccs are gonna really flourish under Morris. He's the next Mike Tomlin.

He talked about Mike at his news conference and said that when Mike had his team down there competing for the championship he was gonna pick his brain. Raheem did remind me of Mike alot.

MasterOfPuppets
01-17-2009, 10:18 PM
He talked about Mike at his news conference and said that when Mike had his team down there competing for the championship he was gonna pick his brain. Raheem did remind me of Mike alot.
:link: