PDA

View Full Version : Did Marty doom the Bolts in Week 1?

Ambridge
12-25-2005, 08:12 AM
I remember back in the opening week of the season (San Diego-vs-Dallas) Marty Schottenheimer decided to bench Antonio Gates,,,,,,,,punishment for holding out of the preseason because Gates wanted a new contract.

Dallas ended up beating the Chargers that day and it was speculated that had Gates played he more than likely would have made a difference in San Diego's Red Zone Offense which had some difficulties moving the ball and scoring that day.

I remember hearing Shannon Sharpe saying that Marty's stubborness might make a difference at the end of the season if the Bolts come up a game short.

Pretty good prediction by Shannon.

boLT fan
12-25-2005, 11:13 AM
That, combined with a bunch of other retarded moves, did kill our season. So many times we would've won if Marty would have been on top of things.

For example: When we traded Cleo Lemon to the Dolphins for Jay Feeley, Lemon told Zach Thomas all of Brees' audible signs. Marty never changed these signs before the game.

Prosdo
12-25-2005, 11:20 AM
For example: When we traded Cleo Lemon to the Dolphins for Jay Feeley, Lemon told Zach Thomas all of Brees' audible signs. Marty never changed these signs before the game.

Well, that sure is a killer right there.

clevestinks
12-25-2005, 12:20 PM
When Marty signed his contract he doomed the Chargers, I actually like the guy, but he is cursed

Koopa
12-25-2005, 02:44 PM
yeah suspending gates for the first game of the season hurt them a lot, not saying the would've won but they would've had a way better chance of winning cause they were right there inside the 10 yard line but didn't have anyone reliable to throw it to. actually the dumbasses should've at least ran on first down instead of panic and throw four damn times.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-25-2005, 02:57 PM
Well there is something to be said coaches laying down the law. I mean coaches bench players for various amounts of time for conduct detrimental to the team, etc... in this case it was a contract dispute so its a touchy call.

Livinginthe past
12-26-2005, 06:17 AM
Marty is another coach who would be much better as either an offensive coach or someone who takes care of personnel.

Its pretty clear that he knows a football talent when he sees one - but his game-time brain farts have cost his team dear this year - I guess he doesnt handle pressure well.

San Diego has a very talented roster but it has been hamstrung by some bizarre decision making by the HC.

Discipline is very important for a team - I think he did the right thing regarding Gates - but losing against poor teams this year has cost them dearly - a new HC would cause some serious damage with that roster.

NM

clevestinks
12-26-2005, 09:04 AM
Marty did have to show that nothing is tolerated, and that he is in charge, so suspending gates was the right thing to do!
Look at it like this. Did Gates cost the Chargers a playoff spot because he was suspended for the first game. Why put the blame on Marty, for doing his job?

Either way there out, and hopefully we are in! Works for me!

Ambridge
12-26-2005, 07:27 PM
Look at it like this. Did Gates cost the Chargers a playoff spot because he was suspended for the first game. Why put the blame on Marty, for doing his job?

Why not put some to the blame towards Marty??
I don't believe it was a San Diego team/organization rule that if a player missed some of the preseason for contract reasons that it was a mandatory game suspension. Marty decided to go with the suspension because he is a power hungry freak and wanted to show his heavy hand of control.

I can remember the fall out from the Redskin players after he was the Washington head coach. They said that Marty was a very egocentric and overly controlling coach and he had little or no respect for the core of veteran players there at the time.
Darrell Greene who was on the team at the time pretty much said in a round about way that Marty was an idiot.

boLT fan
12-26-2005, 07:38 PM
Marty an idiot.

I totally agree with that post.

SteelCityMan786
12-26-2005, 10:02 PM
Marty blew it from the beginning.

clevestinks
12-26-2005, 10:36 PM
Marty is just being Marty! It is what it is!