PDA

View Full Version : Julius Peppers ready to leave the Carolina Panthers

Blitzburgh_Fever
01-17-2009, 01:44 AM
Panthers could franchise Peppers
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3839736

Defensive end Julius Peppers let the Carolina Panthers know he is looking for a change of scenery.

"The front office has been informed of my desire to explore opportunities with other NFL teams following the expiration of my contract next month," Peppers said in a statement released by his agent Carl Carey. "At this point in my NFL career, I am seeking new challenges that will allow me to grow, develop and reach my personal potential on the football field.

"I strongly feel that making a move at this time is in my best interest. I appreciate the entire Panthers organization and am thankful for the seven seasons I've spent with the team."

The Panthers would have to pay Peppers, 28, nearly $17 million to franchise him for the 2009 season. Peppers has been in Carolina his entire career, seven seasons.

"Julius is firm in his decision that he needs a change," Carey said. "He feels that he can thrive in another system. While he has been selected to four Pro Bowls and designated as an All-Pro during his career, he feels that he has yet to develop to his full potential. This is the case of a great player who seeks to become an elite one."

Senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen contributed to this report.

Hard to think of a team that couldn't use him.

MasterOfPuppets
01-17-2009, 02:11 AM
got redskins written all over it.......:doh: .....why the hell would it cost 17 mill ??? thats not the average of the top 5.....

BrandonCarr39
01-17-2009, 03:25 AM
got redskins written all over it.......:doh: .....why the hell would it cost 17 mill ??? thats not the average of the top 5.....

Considering that teams have to emphasize the pass rush alot, that figure for top 5 DEs wouldn't surprise me.

steelreserve
01-17-2009, 05:00 AM

Yeah, considering that the highest-paid DEs are getting about $8 million right now, that doesn't make any sense at all.

I mean, there are occasionally some crazy numbers because of signing bonuses-- Dwight Freeney counted for $30 million in 2007 and Jared Allen $21 million this year -- but people aren't getting paid $17 million a year and it doesn't average out anywhere near that even if you do count the signing bonuses.

Texasteel
01-17-2009, 07:12 AM

Yes that does seem to fall right into the Washington mentality, doesn't it. And it has worked out so well for them so far, hasn't it.

RoethlisBURGHer
01-17-2009, 07:50 AM
He is versatile enough to play DE dominant in the 4-3 or OLD dominant in the 3-4. He'll definatly find a suiter. Maybe he'll end up in Philly?

KeiselPower99
01-17-2009, 10:22 AM
They was reports in the Charlotte papers that he really likes the Houston area. Him and Mario Williams on the same D line would be sick. Carolina has alot of tough decisions to make this offseason. Jordan Gross Peppers and Jake Delhomme. Glad Im not the GM there.

lilyoder6
01-17-2009, 10:27 AM
that would be sick if peppers went to houston.. the texans need to get another stud de on the opp side of williams..

RoethlisBURGHer
01-17-2009, 01:57 PM
that would be sick if peppers went to houston.. the texans need to get another stud de on the opp side of williams..

Word is he wants to go to a 3-4 team and play OLB. But if Houston ponied up enough cash, I can see him playing there. That would take thier defense from good to dominating. And if the Titans lose Haynesworth in FA...it could make the Houston defense the best in the AFC South.

xfl2001fan
01-17-2009, 02:48 PM
Word is he wants to go to a 3-4 team and play OLB. But if Houston ponied up enough cash, I can see him playing there. That would take thier defense from good to dominating. And if the Titans lose Haynesworth in FA...it could make the Houston defense the best in the AFC South.

Why do I fear the Browns trying to spend big money to bring him in as a 3-4 OLB?

RoethlisBURGHer
01-17-2009, 03:49 PM
Why do I fear the Browns trying to spend big money to bring him in as a 3-4 OLB?

Because you have an owner that would okay the team bringing in TO, that's why.

revefsreleets
01-17-2009, 03:53 PM
This SOP...the Panthers franchise him and he says he's unhappy. I'll give him credit, though, he wasn't nearly as shitty about it as 90% of the other players who go through this are.

He'll play hard for Fox next year to try and maximize his value...but he's not coming to Pittsburgh.

bigbensbabymama
01-19-2009, 09:32 PM
If they get rid of Fox and land Cowher, I bet he'll stay. If not, I say he goes to Miami. Just a hunch....

Polamalu43
01-19-2009, 11:47 PM
He is versatile enough to play DE dominant in the 4-3 or OLD dominant in the 3-4. He'll definatly find a suiter. Maybe he'll end up in Philly?

You know what, i have the same feeling that he will end up with the eagles.

revefsreleets
01-20-2009, 09:06 AM
Fox isn't going anywhere.

KeiselPower99
01-20-2009, 09:07 AM
Thinking about it what about Green Bay?? They are switchin to a 3-4 under Dom Capers.

RoethlisBURGHer
01-20-2009, 03:11 PM
Thinking about it what about Green Bay?? They are switchin to a 3-4 under Dom Capers.

Green Bay won't pay Peppers what he wants.

Peppers will want to be among the highest paid OLB's if he goes 3-4 or DE's if he goes 4-3.

I think Philly would make him a top 3 salary DE. They would get what they were hoping for when they signed Jevon Kearse, a pure pass rush defensive end that wreacks havoc. Pressure without having to constantly blitz.

The Duke
01-20-2009, 03:25 PM

They won't pay

And they seem to think they already have the linebackers to play 3-4. If you ask me, converting their best player (kampman) to a linebacker won't work

I won't feel bad about peppers if he lands in a horrible team though. Even if he's one of my favorite players

revefsreleets
01-20-2009, 07:04 PM
Hawk will convert as OSU played 4-3 AND 3-4 D's.

Kampman, I don't know. He's 10 lbs to heavy maybe? That's a tough one. He needs reps and time to see...

SteelCityKing
01-20-2009, 07:41 PM
i say they dump all of these free agents and people who want out of their teams and put them in Oakland. give them a chance...or two. haha!

RoethlisBURGHer
01-21-2009, 01:45 PM
Hawk will convert as OSU played 4-3 AND 3-4 D's.

Kampman, I don't know. He's 10 lbs to heavy maybe? That's a tough one. He needs reps and time to see...

Yeah, I think Hawk would definatly make a good 3-4 OLB.

As for Kampman, I don't know. I think he'd be good in pass rush situations. He may even be able to bulk up some and stay at DE in a 3-4.

TackleMeBen
01-21-2009, 02:35 PM
the lions could use all the help they can get it..lol.

The Duke
01-21-2009, 05:24 PM
Hawk could, yeah

But what about Chillar and Poppinga? unless I'm mistaken they have been 4-3 backers exclusively. Barnett will fit in the 3-4 though

GB may go LB early in this draft. Either that or NT. Which reminds me, what about justin harrell?