01-17-2009, 12:10 PM
Jim Schwartz introduced as new coach of Lions
By LARRY LAGE, AP Sports Writer
Jan 16, 5:15 pm EST

Buzz up!131 votes PrintRelated Video Tony Dungy's legacy Tony Dungy's legacy

Dungy's explains move

Broncos' new coach

Cardinals fying high
More NFL Videos DETROIT (AP)—Jim Schwartz learned how to attack a challenge from his father, a Baltimore County police officer.

Multitasking became an asset thanks to his late mother, who raised nine children.

As Detroit Lions coach, Schwartz will need every bit of knowledge and inspiration he picked up from his parents, as well as mentors Bill Belichick and Jeff Fisher, to help a historically bad NFL team.

“There’s no better feeling in football than turning a situation around,” Schwartz said Friday, a day after agreeing to a four-year deal worth about $11 million. “That’s what drives me here.”

Former Lions president Matt Millen drove the William Clay Ford-owned franchise into a ditch, making a series of moves that led to the NFL’s first 0-16 season to cap an eight-year stretch by what has been the worst by any team since World War II.

Millen was fired during last season before Detroit made history, but his mess is left behind for team president Tom Lewand and general manager Martin Mayhew to clean up.

ADVERTISEMENT

After firing Rod Marinelli two weeks ago and interviewing several candidates, the Lions insist they’ve taken a step toward respectability by hiring the former Tennessee Titans defensive coordinator.

“He’s been a scout, he’s been a position coach, he’s been a coordinator and he’s been very successful at all of those things,” Mayhew said. “We think that he’s going to be the guy to take our football team to where we’re trying to get to.”

The problem is, many of the same scouts and front-office executives will be making decisions—such as who to draft No. 1 overall in April—that built a team bad enough to be 31-97 since 2001, when Millen took over.

The Chicago Cardinals, who won just 23 percent of their games from 1936-43, are the last team to perform as poorly as Detroit has over an eight-season stretch.

That franchise has since moved on to Arizona, leaving the Lions as the NFL’s laughingstock with only one playoff victory since winning the NFL title in 1957.

“I can’t speak of the past, I’m here right now,” the 42-year-old Schwartz said. “I’m not here to exorcise any ghosts.”

If Schwartz fails to overcome the losing culture that has taken down the coaches before him—Marinelli, Steve Mariucci, Marty Mornhinweg—he will still walk away as a multimillionaire.

In his first six seasons in the NFL, Schwartz estimated he made about $50,000 combined.

The Baltimore native and Georgetown graduate said he’s a blue-collar guy who will fit in the Motor City.

“This is what I am,” he said.

Schwartz owns only two suits that fit, finding out recently a third is too small because of the weight he gained during the season.

“He’s a football guy—I love that,” Mayhew said.

Schwartz’s coming-out party was the culmination of years of hard work in the NFL.

He started his coaching career as a graduate assistant at Maryland in 1989, later had the same position at Minnesota and went on to become a secondary coach for North Carolina Central and linebackers coach at Colgate.

Detroit Lions coach Jim Schwar…

AP - Jan 16, 2:25 pm EST
Schwartz became a head coaching candidate in recent years because of his work in Tennessee, leading to interviews in previous years with Miami, Atlanta, Washington and San Francisco.

But he got his start as an unpaid intern for Belichick in Cleveland, later was paid as a scout and moved on to be an assistant for the Ravens and Marvin Lewis, before becoming one of the league’s best defensive coordinators for the Titans.

Detroit will count on Schwartz to use his background to come up with ways to fix a defense that ranked last in the league and gave up 517 points— threatening the NFL record for points allowed (533) in a season set by the 1981 Baltimore Colts.

His defense in 2003 ranked first in the NFL in rushing defense and led the league in third-down defense at 27.7 percent—the lowest since the 1998 Oakland Raiders. The Titans ranked in the top seven in yards allowed each of the past two seasons and finished second in points allowed per game at 14.6 in 2008.

Schwartz said he has coordinators he’d like to hire, but neither is in place, and planned to talk to the remaining assistants from Marinelli’s staff.

“I’ll talk to a lot of people next week at the Senior Bowl,” he said.

Schwartz also planned to call Detroit’s entire roster.

“I want to make personal contact with every player,” he said. “Finding my way from the hotel to the facility will be a good start, also.”

MasterOfPuppets
01-17-2009, 01:10 PM
http://img107.imageshack.us/img107/1459/shwartsid9.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

revefsreleets
01-17-2009, 04:40 PM
That's not a bad gig for a 1st timer if you think about it...he CAN'T do any worse!

Guy wins 5 games next year and he looks like Vince Lombardi resurrected...

tony hipchest
01-17-2009, 09:37 PM
in other news the Ford family has released plans to develop and produce a "super"-sized suv that gets 2 miles per gallon, to help give a boost to the failing auto industry.

good luck detroit. :thumbsup:

SteelCityMan786
01-17-2009, 10:26 PM
Schwartz I guess can be declared an early candidate for Coach of the Year. He's got a chance to coach a team to 1 win at least.

lilyoder6
01-17-2009, 10:56 PM
and with the addition draft picks from the cowboys... the lions could get some good players in this draft and will some games next yr

SteelCityMan786
01-17-2009, 11:27 PM
and with the addition draft picks from the cowboys... the lions could get some good players in this draft and will some games next yr

They may just go draft all WRs not realizing that there are other positions on the team they need to address. :chuckle:

drizze99
01-17-2009, 11:36 PM
I'd love to have his job. There is no better challenge than to take a failing franchise and make it good.

I used to coach pee wee football players that ranged from 5 yrs old to 7 years old. Since I was the "new" guy on staff, I got all of the 1st year players and I didn't mind one bit. My goal was to take kids that never played the game and mold them into football players. I didn't take it easy on them and taught them as if they were in High School. The greatest compliment I got is that when the following year came along and they had to tryout for the national team and most of them made them team. regularly 11-12 kids would move along out of the 15-16 that I coached.

I know the pros are different as compared to kids, but breaking down football to the basics is where schwartz needs to start with these Lions. I only got to watch them once last season and it only took that one time to see that this team flat out blows at the basics of football. Its all about being fundamentally sound...

KeiselPower99
01-17-2009, 11:37 PM
They may just go draft all WRs not realizing that there are other positions on the team they need to address. :chuckle:

Matt Millen isnt running the draft anymore.

KeiselPower99
01-17-2009, 11:40 PM
I just thought of this. Haynesworth is a FA and will be seeking major cash...Detroit needs a DT and their new coach knows him quite well...hmmm

RoethlisBURGHer
01-18-2009, 10:56 AM
I feel bad for this guy. Actually, I was feeling bad for anyone who got this job.

There is an entire culture of losing in Detroit that they will have to get rid of. This was easier to do in 1969 when Chuck Noll took over the Steelers with no salary cap (hell, the salaries were really small compared to today) and no free agency.

Not to mention this isn't the greatest year to have the #1 overall pick in the draft.

Matthew Stafford or Mark Sanchez? No Bradford, no McCoy, no Tebow (who could have been taken with thier second pick in the first round).

This is a big job, I hope Schwartz is up to it.

KeiselPower99
01-19-2009, 09:54 AM
I think id trade for Cassell and trade the pick down and rebuild that defense. They have 2 good tackles in Backua and Cherlius. They dont need any recievers.

TackleMeBen
01-19-2009, 12:54 PM
reports are that brady is behind on his rehab. if that is the case then the pats may have to franchise cassel to keep him.

and i am hoping detroit goes 0-32 in two seasons.lol